"Match forfeited due to inactivity"

G000ner
4893 posts National Call-Up
Happened to me three times today. Twice before a game, when I'm checking my friends while the match is loading up. Then once when I'm checking messages after my opponent has paused the game. Both forfeits occured after roughly 2 seconds of "inactivity". I was 2-0 up in that game. Other two games hadn't started. All three count as losses. When did this become a thing and what moron decided to implement this stupid feature?

Comments

• RadioShaq
    16066 posts Moderator
    Think it was added this year because people would put the controller down. Pretty sure the community asked for it as a lot complained about it over the years.
  • RandomLhama83
    10100 posts Has That Special Something
    so it happened once, and you still kept checking messages?
  • G000ner
    joe666 wrote: »
    so it happened once, and you still kept checking messages?

I just do it instinctively tbh. And wasn't sure what the cause was at first.
  • G000ner
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Think it was added this year because people would put the controller down. Pretty sure the community asked for it as a lot complained about it over the years.

This is understandable during the game, say after 1 minute of inactivity. But if someone is checking messages during pauses or before the game for a few seconds and that counts as inactivity, then they have got it horribly wrong.
  • Ash Ketchum
    629 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited December 2017
    I think it's ridiculous their insistence to force people to finish games. I think you should be able to quit games when you are losing freely without penalty. DNF is an outdated pointless concept.

At the end of the day we play this game for fun losing heavily isn't fun. Its better if people quit against you if you are winning cos you can play the next match quicker as well. I don't see who forcing people to stay and play games is benefitting
  • G000ner
    I think it's ridiculous their insistence to force people to finish games. I think you should be able to quit games when you are losing freely without penalty. DNF is an outdated pointless concept.

At the end of the day we play this game for fun losing heavily isn't fun. Its better if people quit against you if you are winning cos you can play the next match quicker as well. I don't see who forcing people to stay and play games is benefitting

I agree with this. When you quit the game, you still get the loss and that is enough. The opponent gets the win, and he's probably happy that he doesn't have to finish the game as well.
  • Aspral
    3796 posts National Call-Up
    Should allow someone to quit without dnf punishment in WL. It's 40 games.
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    Theres a total of 45 seconds of inactivity allowed I think. Like once you get the first countdown inactivity time, and it goes to 15. and you play and become inactive again, it starts at 15. Thats why you got disconnected after a few seconds/
  • G000ner
    Aspral wrote: »
    Should allow someone to quit without dnf punishment in WL. It's 40 games.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone actually cares about DNF anyway. The amount of coins you make from individual matches are so small compared to the coins you make from rewards or trading, which makes DNF effectively meaningless. Not many people left the controller anyway tbh, but if they just got rid of the DNF, then at least they wouldn't have added this broken feature.
  • LowkeyOGF
    20 posts Last Pick at the Park
    It's not 2 seconds, it's 8.

It is a pain in the arse tbh, they've only just added it into the game, wasn't like this before.

Genuine inactivity you get like 45 seconds, checking the xbox guide you get 8 it makes no sense.

Pain in the arse when I want to change a song.
  • G000ner
    Shehraj wrote: »
    Theres a total of 45 seconds of inactivity allowed I think. Like once you get the first countdown inactivity time, and it goes to 15. and you play and become inactive again, it starts at 15. Thats why you got disconnected after a few seconds/

How can I get disconnected before the game, after literally checking my messages for no more than a few seconds in that case? I'm not even exaggerating. I checked my messages when my opponents team had loaded up and I had "forfeited", before it even left the team screen.
  • RadioShaq
    16066 posts Moderator
    I doubt many are putting the controller down for fear of dnf. Some might do it for fitness. Most were doing it to punish the other player as aspral pointed out 40 games is a lot so making you sit through it was a pain.
  • G000ner
    LowkeyOGF wrote: »

It is a pain in the arse tbh, they've only just added it into the game, wasn't like this before.

Genuine inactivity you get like 45 seconds, checking the xbox guide you get 8 it makes no sense.

It may have been 8 seconds I suppose. And exactly, at least when checking xbox guide you are still using the controller. Was this implemented in the latest patch? It hasn't happened to me before
  • heavymcd
    10068 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2017

The issue is too many people would quit after going down 1-2 goals. They wouldn’t wait until they were “losing heavily,” they were just quitters. Sometimes it felt like 75% of my wins never made it to the final whistle, and these weren’t 6-0 blowouts. They were me going up 1-0 or 2-0 at halftime.

That’s not fun. I don’t play to get a +1 in the W column. That’s not the point. I want to play a match, win or lose, and a match is 12 minutes. I don’t taunt, I don’t talk crap, and I’ll send you a “gg” after, all I ask is that you play to the end as well as you can. It’s basic sportsmanship, and it’s something this community completely lacks.

Personally I wish I could filter out players by DNF. Back in the day, if you threw down the controller the second you started losing (or walked off the field/court the second you started losing) people got to stop playing with you. Because nobody wants to play with a poor sport.

Edit: I will concede that in a time-constricted format like WL, forfeiting after falling behind can be more appropriate, and this feature makes sense as it prevents you from wasting the opponent’s time if you aren’t still playing.
  • LowkeyOGF
    20 posts Last Pick at the Park
    G000ner wrote: »

It may have been 8 seconds I suppose. And exactly, at least when checking xbox guide you are still using the controller. Was this implemented in the latest patch? It hasn't happened to me before

yeah I've only noticed it last week or so.

I nearly got disconnected when I was changing a song on the music player. Every time you press the guide you get 8 seconds, it's stupid.
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move

I nearly got disconnected when I was changing a song on the music player. Every time you press the guide you get 8 seconds, it's stupid.

Wait, was this in the WL? If so I saw something about a timer starting right away if you go the the playstation/xbox menu during a game in the latest patch notes, check those
  • G000ner

Surely if the game is paused or if it hasn't started then it shouldn't be possible to be inactive, since the game isn't actively taking place. Same goes for replays. Nobody's controlling anything during those periods, so how can you be inactive.