Ranked matchmaking for the WL

Fuego
484 posts An Exciting Prospect
What's the view on the matchmaking for WL? It's obvious that it isn't random so how do you guys believe it works because i've heard many different theories.

I think the top 3 theories are essentially:
1) You're matched with people who are in the same rank as you
2) You're matched with people who have the same Win/Loss ratio as you
3) You're matched with people who are expected to finish in the same projected rank

Which do you guys think it is? or do you believe it's something else?

Comments

• riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    I think it's a mixture of 1 and 3, probably with other stuff thrown in too
  • Sirin
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's fully random imo.
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    edited December 2017
    Sirin wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.

Definitely not random. I and others get matched with long streaks of players worse than me, then long streaks of players better than me. Happens every week
  • Waspy
    3885 posts National Call-Up
    It's fully random imo.

This, no way is it anyway near as considered as you think is OP
  • Fuego
    It's fully random imo.

Have to disagree, there's no chance it's random. There's a reason why so many people always start well, going something like 10-2 or 10-3, etc and then eventually hit a wall due to being matched against more difficult opponents.
  • Jason1986
    6964 posts Big Money Move
    It's fully random imo.
    I don't think it's random, usually start well on the Friday and then struggle on the Sunday. That suggests I'm playing better players as the weekend goes on.

But I do think you play a mixture of different levels of ability throughout the weekend.
  • Fuego
    Waspy wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.

This, no way is it anyway near as considered as you think is OP

I'm surprised that you believe this, how many WL's have you played this year and where do you normally finish? Do you not see an obvious jump in the quality of opponents after you start winning a few matches in a row?
  • Fuego
    Jason1986 wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.
    I don't think it's random, usually start well on the Friday and then struggle on the Sunday. That suggests I'm playing better players as the weekend goes on.

But I do think you play a mixture of different levels of ability throughout the weekend.

Yeah I find that I always start well initially too but then I just started losing matches due to getting matched with teams with like 4/5 Icons. I think if there is indeed some form of ranked matchmaking then it may be better to play your first 10 matches on Friday and then leave the rest for Saturday and Sunday as they'll be a bigger pool of opponents who are at your rank
  • mascherano16
    1168 posts Professional
    I think

You get matched up with people who are in the same skill ranking.
    Nothing to do with WL ranking.

When you are on a winning streak, you move up a rank. Thats when most of us go losing again, and again drop a skill rank.
    Skill points are shown in top 100, but everyone has them

The first 5 games on WL are more random though imo
  • Fuego
    I think

When you are on a winning streak, you move up a rank. Thats when most of us go losing again, and again drop a skill rank.

That would make sense but then how come in the champions channel you very rarely see top 100 opponents match other top 100? I've seen quite a lot top 100 players matched against silver 2/3?
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    Fuego wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.

Yeah I find that I always start well initially too but then I just started losing matches due to getting matched with teams with like 4/5 Icons. I think if there is indeed some form of ranked matchmaking then it may be better to play your first 10 matches on Friday and then leave the rest for Saturday and Sunday as they'll be a bigger pool of opponents who are at your rank

Tried it. Didn't make a difference

• Fuego
    riskywhat wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.

I've seen some other people suggest that they did that and noticed a difference, I'll try giving it a shot this weekend, haven't played any games yet - going to wait till this evening at around 7pm
  • Sirin wrote: »
    It's fully random imo.

• Fuego
    Surprised at how many people think it's random :o
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    It's fully random imo.

I've seen some other people suggest that they did that and noticed a difference, I'll try giving it a shot this weekend, haven't played any games yet - going to wait till this evening at around 7pm

Let us know how it goes mate. I only tried it once so not a very big sample size. Maybe it would work if you're an elite level player as there aren't a large number of players better than you

• Fuego
    It's fully random imo.

Let us know how it goes mate. I only tried it once so not a very big sample size. Maybe it would work if you're an elite level player as there aren't a large number of players better than you

Yeah i'll see, sadly I wouldn't class myself as an elite player haha, mostly finish gold 1 or gold 2
  • I always seem to play people on a similar number of games and predicted the same rank. Find the first 5 totally random, 5-10 not too bad then the matchmaking seems to really kick. 15-25 is always the worst part and I find the last ten the difficulty seems to ease off a bit.
  • mascherano16
    1168 posts Professional
    I think

That would make sense but then how come in the champions channel you very rarely see top 100 opponents match other top 100? I've seen quite a lot top 100 players matched against silver 2/3?

Could have been within those first 5 games though...
    Also all top players play at home to avoid eachother
  • Gorda
    3447 posts National Call-Up
    Anyone thinks its fully random can just check fut Champions Channel. Top 100 never plays anyone with more losses then wins, and its usually close in win/lose ratio.
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    I always seem to play people on a similar number of games and predicted the same rank. Find the first 5 totally random, 5-10 not too bad then the matchmaking seems to really kick. 15-25 is always the worst part and I find the last ten the difficulty seems to ease off a bit.

Pretty much exactly what happens to me. 15-25 are usually the toughest games, and often results in a long losing streak. Last week was the only week it has been different because I had an absolutely shocking first 10 games

• Fuego
    I always seem to play people on a similar number of games and predicted the same rank. Find the first 5 totally random, 5-10 not too bad then the matchmaking seems to really kick. 15-25 is always the worst part and I find the last ten the difficulty seems to ease off a bit.

Yup totally agree, gonna try leaving the 15-25 matches for Saturday evening/Sunday
  • Clancy
    7755 posts League Winner
    I don't think it's fully random. If it were you'd expect to see people who get a lucky roll of the dice and go 30 wins when they're usually at 18.

Or visa versa, you'd expect someone who usually goes elite yo hit only 10 wins one week. Who has had this happen though? I pretty much get the same number of wins +/- 2 wins. Never higher than 25, never lower than 20

Has anyone who's usually gold 3 ever EVER lucked into an easy draw on the weekend and gone elite?
  • Gorda
    3447 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2017
    Clancy wrote: »
    I don't think it's fully random. If it were you'd expect to see people who get a lucky roll of the dice and go 30 wins when they're usually at 18.

Or visa versa, you'd expect someone who usually goes elite yo hit only 10 wins one week. Who has had this happen though? I pretty much get the same number of wins +/- 2 wins. Never higher than 25, never lower than 20

Has anyone who's usually gold 3 ever EVER lucked into an easy draw on the weekend and gone elite?
    Nope i finished gold 3 Every weekend except last i got gold 2. I Always expect to get between 18-21 wins and dont rage when i get unlucky some games because elo Will put me against Worse opponents if i lose.
  • istvanovits
    206 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited December 2017
    not to brag but I am an elite player. The first 10 games are kinda random but the skill level is really low compared to mine. Most of the times I win all the first 10 pretty easy. The next 10 games my opponents are around my skill level, there is no way that i can meet 10 opponents of my skill level every weekend again if its completely random. After those the last 20 games feel kinda random to me. Sometimes i meet people who arent weekend league level and the next guy is t100.
  • Mini_Miudo
    9970 posts Has That Special Something
    Felt more random next year, not sure if it was the same and I was just good enough (with good gameplay) to overcome it then. After the first 15 it's struggle town for me this year.
  • Fuego
    edited December 2017
    So most people seem to believe that you're matched with people who are in the same rank/skill level as you. If this is the case then, say for example you play your first 10 matches on Friday - you should pretty much stop there for the day if you're wanting to finish as high as possible and wait till Saturday evening and ideally play another 15 or so then as there'll be a bigger pool of opponents who will be at the same rank as you and therefore you'll be less likely to be matched against elite opponents who have 4/5 icons and then play the remaining 15 on Sunday evening/night.

It's absolutely ridiculous we even have to think about this - just shows how stupid the matchmaking currently is