Let's try and settle the "Are icons worth it" debate

Bowden92
6072 posts Big Money Move
edited December 2017
First of, not used icons this year, I will however be buying my team at some point over the next month or so, with all the events happening and my coin total looking nice, it's a good time for me

However, the more I play this year, the more I think, is there actually ANY point whatsoever, for the casual player im talking about (Obviously if you're aiming for elite every month you are an exception to this debate) buying top icons for any other reason other than fun ? Or enjoyment

For example, take Vidal/Nain, how on earth can you justify, say, Petit/Gullit over them, or Suarez, is ADP/Crespo etc actually worth the money over them ? If you have spare coins and you grew up watching those guys and don't care too much for Suarez or Vidal and you'd rather have those icons for fun/nostalgia etc, then of course, you get them, but they surely can't be worth it over certain NIFs, I mean, look at the NIF CBs you can pick up for under 5k, unless Maldini was a favourite player of yours, is he actually worth it over Manolas or Varane, again, I must stress, this is for casual players, hard-core WL players I understand you need every tiny bit of advantage you can get so this doesn't apply to you

I just think it would be a shame for me and any others saving for their icons etc to be disappointed when they use them, if they could save themselves huge amounts of coins and just get other top players for cheaper

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Shaqattack6285
    965 posts Professional
    The only reason i would pay the premium is for the chem links...but thats it

I have an untradable vidal which i have to buy 2 other players to fit in...if it was viera, he would slot straight into my first team..thats the difference
  • Pughy30
    25680 posts Player of the Year
    Yeah i think some icons are just stupidly over priced, look at the lowest rated Deco for example why on earth would you pay 600k for a card with his stats. I'd either get one or two big expensive icons for my team or none at all the low-mid tier icons just don't seem worth it
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    A large portion of it is simply hype and chem links, but a few do stand out to me.
    Viera - he seemed to have a sort of shield around him lol difficult to disposses
    Gullit - no card is closed to being as balanced
    R9- enough said
    There are plenty of the cheaper ones like ADP, bergkamp etc with really good stats, I'd pay a lot for those (lets be real 96 composure, how good is that) but prices are inflated af, just due to hype and sbcs.
  • Bowden92
    Ye I forgot to add chem links actually that's a good point, I mean, as I said, there are exceptions, but in all honesty, there is no way on earth 90 Gullit is worth 4M, that's four million ! No way, you could buy an absolutely amazing team for that amount, surely he's just a pro's player or the ultra rich

Some of the icons I just see no other reason for their price except, pure inflation and the fact they're an "icon" alot of average looking stats and to me, without using any this year, don't look worth it, unless, as I said, that particular player was a favourite of yours as a kid or whatever
  • Bowden92
    Shehraj wrote: »
    A large portion of it is simply hype and chem links, but a few do stand out to me.
    Viera - he seemed to have a sort of shield around him lol difficult to disposses
    Gullit - no card is closed to being as balanced
    R9- enough said
    There are plenty of the cheaper ones like ADP, bergkamp etc with really good stats, I'd pay a lot for those (lets be real 96 composure, how good is that) but prices are inflated af, just due to hype and sbcs.

You mention ADP though, I don't use a typical Premier League sweat team btw, but can you see why somebody would just choose IF Jesus or Son, or both ... and change ! Instead of ADP ? Stats wise there isn't much in it, price wise, they're world's apart
  • Metalfly
    991 posts Professional
    Icons are worth it because that’s how much people are willing to pay to get them. If nobody believe Gullit is worth 4m then his price would come down.

• Pughy30
    Metalfly wrote: »
    Icons are worth it because that’s how much people are willing to pay to get them. If nobody believe Gullit is worth 4m then his price would come down.

Not true, icons price fluctuate due to SBC's not because people want them for how good they are in game
  • Metalfly
    991 posts Professional
    edited December 2017
    Pughy30 wrote: »

Not true, icons price fluctuate due to SBC's not because people want them for how good they are in game

That’s not true at all. For example, Gullit sells around 7m on PC, baby R9 sells for nearly 5m. That’s not because of anything to do with SBC, that’s because people are willing to pay that much to get them.
  • Pughy30

That’s not true at all. For example, Gullit sells around 7m on PC, baby R9 sells for nearly 5m. That’s not because of anything to do with SBC, that’s because people are willing to pay that much to get them.

Schmeichel was 200k then shot up to 400k when the new icons got released so why did that happen then?
  • pekkaa88
    6024 posts Big Money Move
    Some of them are.. For example prime Rui (sbc) has easily been worth it for me.. Great player and those extra links are massive for me as i like to use hybrids.. With icon links its so much easier to get for example SBC Promes and IF Manuel Fernandes into a great team.. And those guys are just great value for money
  • Alexrb89
    3455 posts National Call-Up
    The reason icons usually are and feel superior in game is there list of traits and specialties, they have 5-6 of each compared to the usual 2-3. Now ea hasn’t realeased conclusive information on the actual in game effects of traits and specialties but it is obvious they have a dramatic effect on performance.

The only icons I really wanted from the start were schmeical (now own), Ronaldinho 91 and prime crespo. The rest can jog on
  • Metalfly
    991 posts Professional
    edited December 2017

Schmeichel was 200k then shot up to 400k when the new icons got released so why did that happen then?

Er if we are talking about the low end icons sure their prices went up due to SBC requirements. But guess what? That’s because people are willing to pay that much to complete the icon SBC. The market value is based on what people are willing to pay for the item.

Plus that only applies to about 20% of the icon prices, the majority of them fluctuate due to overall market demand for those players.
  • Pughy30

Er if we are talking about the low end icons sure their prices went up with SBC requirements. But guess what? That’s because people are willing to pay that much to complete the icon SBC. The market value is based on what people are willing to pay for the item.

Were talking about how good icons are in game so the whole "their worth it if someone will pay for it" doesn't really apply to over inflated icons due to SBC's
  • Vaaass
    2569 posts National Call-Up
    Depends on why imo. First off, some of their stats really aren't good, but if you go on Futbin and check their goals to game ratio, it's absolutely dominated by Icons. CR7 isn't even top 20, and Inzaghi is like 8th or something.

Also think they're worth it if you can get the best out of them - Henry for me is cheating. Don't need to work a clear chance and he still manages to smash every shot in, left foot or right foot, finesse, low driven, long shot, doesn't matter.

Obviously the links are great too. I'd say most baby icons no, mid/prime then yeah
  • Metalfly
    991 posts Professional

Er if we are talking about the low end icons sure their prices went up with SBC requirements. But guess what? That’s because people are willing to pay that much to complete the icon SBC. The market value is based on what people are willing to pay for the item.

Were talking about how good icons are in game so the whole "their worth it if someone will pay for it" doesn't really apply to over inflated icons due to SBC's

Um of course it does.

If people don’t believe that it’s worth paying 400k to get a Schmeichel or Van der Sar in order to complete a Henry or an ADP then they wouldn’t be worth that much. I said icons are worth how much people are willing to pay for them, not they’re worth that much to play with.

If nobody thinks icons are worth the extra coins then they’d only be worth 100k discard value. But obviously that’s not the case.
  • Bowden92
    edited December 2017
    There's no point arguing guys come on, @Metalfly Saying icons are going for that because people are willing to pay that isn't really that related to my point ?

I've been using Legends since release and I've used every one, all the way up to Pele, so I'm aware of their abilities, my point was, to a casual player, I wanted to know people's thoughts who'd used them extensively whether they're worth it over their NIF counterparts this year
  • Bowden92
    edited December 2017
    To me personally, I think icons go for their price because of people just wanting them, if somebody watched ADP alot as a kid, they would want his card over IF Son who they don't care for, mix that in with super low supply and you get a high price, I've never thought they were worth it, playing ability wise on any FIFA, just comes down to nostalgia and fun

People want to replicate Henry cutting in from the left and bending one across the keeper for example, then hearing the commentator scream Henrrrrry !! But I'm pretty sure Reus can do a similar job at LW for a 20th or whatever of his price
  • Pughy30
    It's a shame SBC's control icon prices so much if the low tier icons were 150-200k for example they'd be so much more fun due to them giving everyone links, look at Deco and Inzaghi's stats paying 650k for them is absurd when you compare them to some NIF's

SIF Icardi 55k
    da9094562f452bf7a132c892f12e060b.png

Inzaghi 600k+
    10d7ce91e06e305ef0067b28963824ea.png
  • Bowden92
    It's a shame SBC's control icon prices so much if the low tier icons were 150-200k for example they'd be so much more fun due to them giving everyone links, look at Deco and Inzaghi's stats paying 650k for them is absurd when you compare them to some NIF's

SIF Icardi 55k
    da9094562f452bf7a132c892f12e060b.png

Inzaghi 600k+
    10d7ce91e06e305ef0067b28963824ea.png

This is exactly the kind of thing im talking about, i think Icardi will actually be better, not just on par
  • CtldChaos
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah i think some icons are just stupidly over priced, look at the lowest rated Deco for example why on earth would you pay 600k for a card with his stats. I'd either get one or two big expensive icons for my team or none at all the low-mid tier icons just don't seem worth it

Easy... because you trade him into the Henry or Petit or other Prime SBC. No other reason for him to be 600k
  • Bellcheddar
    1333 posts Professional
    It’s a strange one. Icons are overpriced but some are absolutely worth it. I was running a 5 million team with CR7 and CF Messi, nain, Vidal, boateng, bale etc. It was a good team and enjoyed Messi and Ronaldo. I’ve sold that and I now 5 icons in my side. 88 Ferdinand, 88 CB Matthaus 88 CDM Desailly, 85 Blanc and 87 Henry. Got Matthaus and Desailly for 1.5 million combined. I swap them in game so Matthaus in cm and Desailly CB. They are absolutely immense. That’s 3/4 of the price of a CR7. They allow me to dominate (until I get hit by a rubber band, but that’s another debate lol). Ferdinand solid too and 85 Blanc at cdm is absolutely outstanding. Just blocks and intercepts everything. There is a lot more to it than just stats. Not sure what it is but take Blanc, his stats look average but in game he’s absolutely brilliant. Obviously they allow you to put your team together without worrying about chemistry too much also. But is CR7 worth the best part of 2 million? Yes he’s very good but you can get 2 very good icons for that...
  • Bowden92
    edited December 2017
    @Bellcheddar Good post, alot of people always say kinda what you're saying, almost as though icons have some super powers or hidden stats ! Which it would actually be nice if it was true, because nobody wants to spend that kind of money and come away disappointed

Also, which team is more fun ? Which one did you actually get quite hyped for to use, CR7 team or your icon team, it's all good having a competitive team but if it's not exciting then you probably aren't gunna win because you won't enjoy it, thus your mindset will be bad
  • CtldChaos
    A well placed icon can light up the chemistry of a team and allow you to make some really good/fun hybrids. Not to mention some of them are really crazy good.

Now are they worth it..... debatable for sure. Some are just game changers when they are used. For example, I bought one, 85 Blanc. Yes, only 85, and ~700K. Is he worth it...... Oh hell yes.... stats be damned, you can find some other players with better midfield stats, but he BOSSES the field like very few others AND he hybrids everything in. Yes please. I play him at a CCAM in a 4231 and imagine the awesome of having a CAM with 70+ defending, height, strength, speed, decent WF and skills, and a shot that is like a rocket (keep hitting the cross bar with a touch too much power). Is he worth it, for me Yes, do I wish he was cheaper, yes, will he go lower as the better IFs come out, probably. Do I care, only a little, he is one of the things that I find "fun" about the game.
  • Robbenhood
    1434 posts Professional
    Definitely a lot of it is nostalgia. The game pretty much stinks so using some of your favorite players who you grew up watching can make it somewhat enjoyable.
  • Bowden92
    I think maybe Blanc falls into a category of, there aren't actually that many other players like him with his height etc thrown into the mix, I do like hearing of icons playing to their value though, so they should

• Tennster10
    1778 posts Play-Off Hero
    Gold 3 player at best here. I usually make gold 3 with 1-2 game left. Now i have crespo gullit rui costa overmars Blanc. Miss gold 1 by one game last week. :p
  • Bowden92
    Robbenhood wrote: »
    Definitely a lot of it is nostalgia. The game pretty much stinks so using some of your favorite players who you grew up watching can make it somewhat enjoyable.

Then you have this side of the coin ! Even if you lose, just having your favourite players you watched growing up can be satisfying, I had it in previous UT and it was just Good, even when the game went against you
  • CtldChaos
    Bowden92 wrote: »
    I think maybe Blanc falls into a category of, there aren't actually that many other players like him with his height etc thrown into the mix, I do like hearing of icons playing to their value though, so they should

I think with current prices only icons 700K+ are playing to their value.... the others are SBC fodder for bigger better icons.
  • Bowden92
    edited December 2017
    Tennster10 wrote: »
    Gold 3 player at best here. I usually make gold 3 with 1-2 game left. Now i have crespo gullit rui costa overmars Blanc. Miss gold 1 by one game last week. :p

Out of those, the only ones I'd consider are Blanc and Crespo, Rui and Overmars look like they have better alternatives for cheaper and Gullit is just too damn overpriced, but I'm glad they're working out for people :)
  • Thamightyboro
    7067 posts Big Money Move
    I have rui cant say ive been impressed.

The only icon I.actually want is zanetti purely because hes probably my favourite non boro player of my lifetime.