Gaming Monitor

Fuego
484 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited November 2017
I'm looking into purchasing a gaming monitor as the input delay on FIFA is horrendous for me as I'm currently playing on a 10 year old big widescreen Sharp HDTV.

I'm just wondering, to the people who previously used to play on a big widescreen HDTV and started playing on a gaming monitor, how much of a difference did you see with the input delay? What I don't want to do is buy a gaming monitor and for it to make no difference because of the input delay caused by the awful FUT Champions servers...

Comments

  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    The difference was so big that it took me from div 3 to winning div 1 consistently. I made the switch 3 years ago btw. Can really recommend it, just look for a monitor with 1ms input delay and your fine.
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Remzy69 wrote: »
    The difference was so big that it took me from div 3 to winning div 1 consistently. I made the switch 3 years ago btw. Can really recommend it, just look for a monitor with 1ms input delay and your fine.

    I found out the MS of my TV is apparently 6... So will I not notice much of a difference then?
  • You will not regret it mate. I got the BenQ 24” model. Outstanding. 21” would be fine as well.
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    kiwi_deeks wrote: »
    You will not regret it mate. I got the BenQ 24” model. Outstanding. 21” would be fine as well.

    Yeah i've heard about that monitor a few times, did you use to game on a TV before?


  • sheffutd87
    3226 posts National Call-Up
    I went from an LG 50" 3D TV (known for terrible input lag)

    To the BenQ esports 24" gaming monitor.

    It does not remove all lag some is from the server/connection side of things so don't expect a totally lag free experience.

    I'm a pretty poor player, was before and still am. It does make the experience more enjoyable, it is noticeable.

    I wasa gold player before and I am a gold player now. But when the connection is good, my concentration levels are right then I can absolutely batter people because you could be seeing things 10's of milliseconds before your opponent.

    Don't regret the purchase at all, but don't expect it to make that much difference to your actual results. If the game wants you to lose you still will.

    It's noticeable on cod as well.
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    sheffutd87 wrote: »
    I went from an LG 50" 3D TV (known for terrible input lag)

    To the BenQ esports 24" gaming monitor.

    It does not remove all lag some is from the server/connection side of things so don't expect a totally lag free experience.

    I'm a pretty poor player, was before and still am. It does make the experience more enjoyable, it is noticeable.

    I wasa gold player before and I am a gold player now. But when the connection is good, my concentration levels are right then I can absolutely batter people because you could be seeing things 10's of milliseconds before your opponent.

    Don't regret the purchase at all, but don't expect it to make that much difference to your actual results. If the game wants you to lose you still will.

    It's noticeable on cod as well.

    How much did the monitor cost pal?
  • sheffutd87
    3226 posts National Call-Up
    I bought the 2016 model from Amazon for about £150.

    The 2017 was similar spec wise but around £100 more.

    Sometimes the screen does blur a bit round the edges of your players as it does not process the image at all. It just displays what's happening as quickly as possible. It's effective but not always pretty. It doesn't bother me though
  • JorisDB
    1385 posts Professional
    I'm playing on a 42 inch LG Smart TV, which I've had for a few years now. No idea what the MS input delay is, but would you say it's normally a big difference between a normal Smart TV and a gaming monitor? And do you use special HDMI cabels as well or is there no real difference there?
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    sheffutd87 wrote: »
    I bought the 2016 model from Amazon for about £150.

    The 2017 was similar spec wise but around £100 more.

    Sometimes the screen does blur a bit round the edges of your players as it does not process the image at all. It just displays what's happening as quickly as possible. It's effective but not always pretty. It doesn't bother me though

    Was it this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-RL2455-Lag-free-Technology-eQualizer/dp/B01H07FVOK?th=1
  • sheffutd87
    3226 posts National Call-Up
    Fuego wrote: »
    sheffutd87 wrote: »
    I bought the 2016 model from Amazon for about £150.

    The 2017 was similar spec wise but around £100 more.

    Sometimes the screen does blur a bit round the edges of your players as it does not process the image at all. It just displays what's happening as quickly as possible. It's effective but not always pretty. It doesn't bother me though

    Was it this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-RL2455-Lag-free-Technology-eQualizer/dp/B01H07FVOK?th=1

    That's the one.
  • Fuego
    484 posts An Exciting Prospect
    JorisDB wrote: »
    I'm playing on a 42 inch LG Smart TV, which I've had for a few years now. No idea what the MS input delay is, but would you say it's normally a big difference between a normal Smart TV and a gaming monitor? And do you use special HDMI cabels as well or is there no real difference there?

    you should be able to find the make on the back of the TV, google it and you should find a page displaying all the specs and the reaction time
  • sheffutd87
    3226 posts National Call-Up
    JorisDB wrote: »
    I'm playing on a 42 inch LG Smart TV, which I've had for a few years now. No idea what the MS input delay is, but would you say it's normally a big difference between a normal Smart TV and a gaming monitor? And do you use special HDMI cabels as well or is there no real difference there?

    Don't think there is that much difference in HDMI cables. I've tried expensive ones and cheap ones and can't really tell. I've got high speed HDMI cables and they're fine.

    LG used to be known for bad input lag but nice pictures for watching TV. I certainly noticed a big difference on my LG 50". A lot of them have been tested and the results are online if you google the model number. Think mine was tested at 60ms and the monitor is 1 ms. But like I said it won't make a massive difference to your results. £150 is a lot of money to some, so it's about weighing up the costs.

    It helps sitting in an office chair at a desk to play too. You are more alert and concentrating more compared to lounging on a sofa / bed.

    I went from playing in a reclining arm chair to my desk so I'm a lot more alert.

    I work in software development from home, so I also use the screen for working so it has a dual use for me
  • JorisDB
    1385 posts Professional
    Yeah I've recently moved to a new room which is significantly smaller than my old one, meaning I no longer have a sofa in my room and I'm playing FIFA from my bed now, which sucks.
    Added to that I'd like a screen on which I can connect my laptop, so I can work at home as well, so I've been looking at buying a nice monitor for that as well.. But as you said $150 is quite a lot (due to black friday I can find the cheapest BenQ monitor at around 150 EU in the Netherlands now), but I do have quite a lot in my savings account saved up for occasions like this..

    Thanks anyways, if anybody else has some more experience I would like to hear 'm!

    @Fuego sorry for hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind though? :)
  • bigpokey24
    4862 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2017
    asus_pg248q_24_rog_swift_1497985635000_1345211.jpg

    this is what I use currently, love this monitor, have is set on FPS mode, saturation set at 70 , contrast 40 and brightness 70 ,helps the colors etc, my gaming has improved a whole lot , waiting for a 4kHDR version
    it offers 1ms
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    My 55" TV currently has 21ms input delay after checking on Google. Which is pretty low for tvs I believe. Upgrading to a monitor worth it?
  • sheffutd87
    3226 posts National Call-Up
    Nogin182 wrote: »
    My 55" TV currently has 21ms input delay after checking on Google. Which is pretty low for tvs I believe. Upgrading to a monitor worth it?

    Wouldn't have thought so. Like you say that is good for a TV. I believe it is noticeable to the human eye at around 20 ms difference (from google when I was buying). So any difference you might notice would be very marginal.
Sign In or Register to comment.