Does SB improve you as a player ?

Bowden92
6072 posts Big Money Move
I've rarely played matches at all this year, just been trading, but I've been playing abit more lately and I'm terrible :D Not done any SB but thinking they might be worth a go

Comments

• Stonebridge
    1146 posts Professional
    Yes
  • Bowden92
    Very definitive
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4183 posts National Call-Up
    I will say it again. I think 100% yes. Most opponents outside of WL aren't even better than the AI on legendary and in WL about 50% are better. So if you can beat that you can beat the majority.
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17212 posts World Class
    Nope
  • Orison
    47651 posts FIFA Cover Star
    If you can't do anything then maybe yes, because you learn the general game mechanics. If you are already at a certain level definitely not. The AI always plays the same, it's not smart, it's artificial and it never adapts or learns.
  • xGrumpyWolfx
    2687 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've learned a few things by playing squad battles to be fair such as utilizing the wings more and turning back around to play the ball back instead of constantly going forwards!

It's made me worse at defending though :D
  • Bowden92
    I've literally played 50 - 55 matches this year, id definitely say I'm not all that used to the mechanics yet
  • BackDaddy
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    Orison wrote: »
    If you can't do anything then maybe yes, because you learn the general game mechanics. If you are already at a certain level definitely not. The AI always plays the same, it's not smart, it's artificial and it never adapts or learns.

This... You can learn to beat the Ai but humans play different, best way to get better is keep playing online
  • hoban95
    48518 posts FIFA Cover Star
    I'm not sure. Was asking myself the same thing the other day. Sometimes i feel it has made me worse.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    It teaches you to release the ball quicker and you can't just spam through balls all the time

But man, the AI is a cheating **** and you don't get that against other players
  • Bowden92
    edited November 2017
    Fair points, can understand them all TBH, just that as I'm getting through the divisions I'm just realising actually how **** I am TBH, I just need to improve
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17212 posts World Class
    One berba spin on the wing and you're through against the AI, won't work online at all
  • S P 4 C E Y
    2436 posts Fans' Favourite
    SB teaches discipline
  • Antparry92
    17530 posts World Class
    Nope

Completely different kettle of fish. I played a lot offline last year as well and there is no translation. The fact different players and formations work better for me in each is telling
  • Bowden92
    SB teaches discipline

This is true, I've found that already even though it's very early days
  • jdros
    2536 posts Fans' Favourite
    SB teaches discipline

In past FIFAs, I've always thought most people I played online couldn't beat the AI. Considering you can get elite 3 by playing on Semi Pro if you want to (and that is supposed to be the top 9% of FIFA players) now I'm sure of it.

I'm a much better player now than I was at the start of the year, been playing almost only SB because I don't have a ton of time in the fall but I can play 1 hour per night Mon-Fri (still qualifying every week for WL, but only playing 5 matches most weeks). Looking forward to giving WL a proper go in January / February if time permits.
  • Whoman
    5306 posts Big Money Move
    It also further guided the community into playing abusive, because they see how the CPU does it ...
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20371 posts Club Captain
    Could only stand it for the first couple weeks tbh. Hate playing the ai.
  • illinifan
    8676 posts League Winner
    It helps your passing massively
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    I've played tons of career mode in the past so I'm pretty good at easily beating the AI on legendary... but my highest ever finish in the WL is gold 2, so no, it doesnt really improve you past a certain point. Cuz the AI plays more slower, forgiving gameplay with more missing most of the time than a sweaty online player does, so you have to play online to improve against other players.
  • Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    Of course it'll improve you as a player if you're currently not playing much. Any regular games will. It is a very different game off line vs online though. Basically, what @Shehraj says above now I've read it!
  • Bowden92
    Yep, points taken, I'm honestly getting worse every year at the game, hence my low amount of games played, I'm just literally terrible at Fifa these days, I lose more than I win, whether it's divisions (Div 6) or online singles, might just carry on trading and build a top team ... just to look beautiful :D Cus there's no point using it and getting beat by anybody and everybody
  • Whoman
    5306 posts Big Money Move
    Shehraj wrote: »
    I've played tons of career mode in the past so I'm pretty good at easily beating the AI on legendary... but my highest ever finish in the WL is gold 2, so no, it doesnt really improve you past a certain point. Cuz the AI plays more slower, forgiving gameplay with more missing most of the time than a sweaty online player does, so you have to play online to improve against other players.

Squad Battle AI is entirely different than career mode AI (heck, it is entirely different than offline seasons). Much more ruthless, much (much !!) faster and as "sweaty" as the sweatiest online player.
  • TrueBlueBl00d
    1133 posts Professional
    SB teaches discipline

Agree, but if you take that online you'll get trampled over because it is 200 mph in comparison. Which is why I personally prefer SB this year.
  • Bowden92
    It's actually all down to lack of skill why I'm actually so bad, I've always suffered with anxiety which affects my ability to concentrate on certain things massively, so in the early UT days I were ok, but as it's grown more and more competitive and you have to be fully switched on every minute whilst playing, I really struggle with that aspect, I guess that's something I can't really practise at
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Nah not at all
  • Shehraj
    5733 posts Big Money Move
    Whoman wrote: »

Squad Battle AI is entirely different than career mode AI (heck, it is entirely different than offline seasons). Much more ruthless, much (much !!) faster and as "sweaty" as the sweatiest online player.

I mean not really to me, I'm not even concentrating half the game because even when they get a good chance, they usually miss on legendary. I guess all those years of offline play made me a master of having a playstyle that trumps the AI, now if only that translated to online too and I was a top 100 player :lol:
  • DiegoNapoles
    346 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2017

Same here, I play SB just to get gold 3 and have some packs to open. But WL is too hard, best record for me is gold 2 despite I win in legendary almost always.
  • cdbuck26
    3285 posts National Call-Up
    I think yes and no. It definitely gets you better against the AI, but for some reason I can't beat a single player online this year, but when I finished last year I was comfortably in d3 online, while I didn't play single player at all. It's 2 different games entirely, the AI and single player.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20371 posts Club Captain
    Painter753 wrote: »
    Nah not at all

Man knows.