Team upgrades to get Elite?

mascherano16
1155 posts Professional
edited November 2017
I get Gold2 usually, only once Gold1.

However I started off good, 10-2, which is way too good for me normally.
I start to face better opponents, messaged them and they hit Elite2/3

Now the question is where to improve? Is it necessary to if I want to finish a higher rank?

Schermafbeelding_2017-11-26_om_10.33.49.png

As you can see I don't have really any expensive players as i'm quiet hesitant to spent big on a card.
Tolisso 85k is the highest

Comments

• riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional

Now the question is where to improve? Is it necessary to if I want to finish a higher rank?

As you can see I don't have really any expensive players as i'm quiet hesitant to spent big on a card.

I'm a similar level to you (Gold 2 every week and once Gold 1). I've had similar starts most weeks but you will start getting matched against really good players. Having a high rated team doesn't seem to make a difference for me. The week I got Gold 1 I was playing with a cheap squad

• Jason1986
    6924 posts Big Money Move
    All but one of my losses has come against a massively stacked team, I'd have won most of them had I had a similar team. So I'd say the team is really important to be competitive.

Icons are ridiculously effective. I'd suggest getting one if you can afford it.

But other than that I'd go Matuidi > Sanson , Alex Sandro > Marcal , Martial > Dembele
  • miri
    2749 posts Fans' Favourite
    I upgraded from a similar tier of team to a relative god squad (four icons, three of them prime) and frankly while the odd game feels easier the limiting factor is always going to be you as a player. I turned 30 now and my win:loss ratio has been getting worse year on year. Sad but true. :)
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    Jason1986 wrote: »
    All but one of my losses has come against a massively stacked team, I'd have won most of them had I had a similar team. So I'd say the team is really important to be competitive.

But other than that I'd go Matuidi > Sanson , Alex Sandro > Marcal , Martial > Dembele

I think it makes a difference if your skill level is pretty high as you will be matched against good players anyway. At Gold 2 level most people don't have stacked teams so it feels like I get matched against better players when I play with a high rated squad

• i2-TempZ-2i
    6331 posts Big Money Move
    Do you change formation ingame? because if not Fekir is an awful CM... i would change him instantly plus like the other guys said Martial for Dembele and upgrade Sanson too
  • Jason1986
    riskywhat wrote: »

I think it makes a difference if your skill level is pretty high as you will be matched against good players anyway. At Gold 2 level most people don't have stacked teams so it feels like I get matched against better players when I play with a high rated squad
    Well I've only gotten Gold 3 this season (had two weeks off as well) but I'm still being matched up against stacked teams. (5m, 3.8m, 1.2m, 2.6m, 1.3m, 2.7m) against my paultry 100k teams. And I only lost these games because of how their big players can score from any situation and their keepers (DDG, Schmeichel, Neuer) saved some ridiculous shots.

If I had a team even half as expensive as the ones I've faced I'd be confident of winning most of these games. So I think team quality really can help you achieve higher ranks.

But maybe our experiences have been different.
  • JaguarKillz
    1086 posts Professional
    Teams barely matter. It’s how good you connect to the server
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional

I'm a similar level to you (Gold 2 every week and once Gold 1). I've had similar starts most weeks but you will start getting matched against really good players. Having a high rated team doesn't seem to make a difference for me. The week I got Gold 1 I was playing with a cheap squad

That is wat I though too, but having better player should in theory make it easier. Not taking into account how good or bad the opponent is
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional
    edited November 2017

Will look into those suggestions, thanks!

Got about 1.6M - 2.1M when everything sells, but I'm working towards Prime Henry, since he is a personal favorite of mine.
    Have yet to try out his loan card though

Is Martial really better than Dembele? He is untradeable for me.
    So other than Martial being on full chem, they look pretty similar
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional
    miri wrote: »
    I upgraded from a similar tier of team to a relative god squad (four icons, three of them prime) and frankly while the odd game feels easier the limiting factor is always going to be you as a player. I turned 30 now and my win:loss ratio has been getting worse year on year. Sad but true. :)

Mind showing your team? You've made me curious
    I guess i'm average, maybe slightly above.

However most of the games are really close, especially the ones I lose
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional
    Do you change formation ingame? because if not Fekir is an awful CM... i would change him instantly plus like the other guys said Martial for Dembele and upgrade Sanson too

I don't, and I do agree he is no CM, but I like his distance/finesse shooting from out of the box.
    Got the other 2 CM to stay back.
    Will try some other players who are more all rounded

Have you tried both Martial and Dembele? Because my Dembele is untradeable
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional

Well I've only gotten Gold 3 this season (had two weeks off as well) but I'm still being matched up against stacked teams. (5m, 3.8m, 1.2m, 2.6m, 1.3m, 2.7m) against my paultry 100k teams. And I only lost these games because of how their big players can score from any situation and their keepers (DDG, Schmeichel, Neuer) saved some ridiculous shots.

If I had a team even half as expensive as the ones I've faced I'd be confident of winning most of these games. So I think team quality really can help you achieve higher ranks.

That exactly is why I think I need to upgrade my players to progress in the ranking

• miri
    edited November 2017

Sure, currently 17-10 with this team. I've finished 21-10 before with a worse team. :pensive:

KhQBNSa.jpg
  • Jason1986

Got about 1.6M - 2.1M when everything sells, but I'm working towards Prime Henry, since he is a personal favorite of mine.

I've not actually used Martial but he's caused me so many problems when facing him that I think he's a must. If I had your team I'd stick Dembele up top off chem and have Martial LF, then just switch in game.

Definitely give Matuidi a try, he's one of the better midfielders I've used this season and is a massive upgrade on Sanson.
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional

Sure, currently 17-10 with this team. I've finished 21-10 before with a worse team. :pensive:

KhQBNSa.jpg

Damn would not like to see that on the load up screen for my upcoming opponent :sweat_smile:
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional

I've not actually used Martial but he's caused me so many problems when facing him that I think he's a must. If I had your team I'd stick Dembele up top off chem and have Martial LF, then just switch in game.

Definitely give Matuidi a try, he's one of the better midfielders I've used this season and is a massive upgrade on Sanson.

Might give him a try, he has scored quiet a lot against me too

Just bought Matuidi, will give him a go tonight!
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional
    edited November 2017

I don't know then. First 3 weeks I got 23 wins, then 24 wins, then 25 wins. After that I bought a 3 mil team and have got 22 or 23 wins every week

Edit: Maybe I just need to stick with the same squad for a few weeks, like I did for the first 3

• Peter_655
    746 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I got 26 wins the first week, got gold 1 most weeks, improved my squad and started bad, and changed back and got better results.

Packed blanc. Went out and bought a full squad with the coins. Was 16-5, then ended up conceding kick off and 90min goals and now I’m on 19-13.

Those games I lost was mainly to Jesus and bakayoko, games I went 1-0 or 2-0 up and controlled the game and conceded ridiculously stupid goals in the last 10 minutes.

Every game I’ve lost this time round I’ve conceded in the 90th minute. There’s nothing you can do with any players in those situations.
  • miri

KhQBNSa.jpg

Damn would not like to see that on the load up screen for my upcoming opponent :sweat_smile:

Ha, yeah. Honestly the vast majority of my losses have come against worse teams. The majority of my wins are against equal/better teams than my own. I think a big part of it is the mentality that people have when they see a good squad.
  • Peter_655

KhQBNSa.jpg

Same formation as me, similar squad 89, hagi, hazard, mertens, 90 Rui Costa, Chiellini, niangollan, kante.

A few weeks ago I was 41212 with lukaku, ibra, Manolas etc, finished on 27 wins. This week, I’m on 19 with 8 games left
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional
    Peter_655 wrote: »
    I got 26 wins the first week, got gold 1 most weeks, improved my squad and started bad, and changed back and got better results.

Packed blanc. Went out and bought a full squad with the coins. Was 16-5, then ended up conceding kick off and 90min goals and now I’m on 19-13.

Those games I lost was mainly to Jesus and bakayoko, games I went 1-0 or 2-0 up and controlled the game and conceded ridiculously stupid goals in the last 10 minutes.

Every game I’ve lost this time round I’ve conceded in the 90th minute. There’s nothing you can do with any players in those situations.

Yeah often have the same problem. Going up one or two, missing loads of chances to score more.
    And sometimes losing that game.

I guess I’m not clinical enough.
    Also never sure what to do after I’m 2-0 up. Should I go ultra defensive or just stay on balanced
  • riskywhat
    1026 posts Professional

KhQBNSa.jpg

Ha, yeah. Honestly the vast majority of my losses have come against worse teams. The majority of my wins are against equal/better teams than my own. I think a big part of it is the mentality that people have when they see a good squad.

This is exactly what happens to me. I'm happy when I get matched with an expensive team like mine as it's usually a player who is a similar skill level. If I get matched against a low rated team it's usually against a player who's better than me.

• Peter_655
    Peter_655 wrote: »

Yeah often have the same problem. Going up one or two, missing loads of chances to score more.
    And sometimes losing that game.

I guess I’m not clinical enough.
    Also never sure what to do after I’m 2-0 up. Should I go ultra defensive or just stay on balanced

I notice though that the chances missed are normal chances that you would have scored at 0-0,

Players do stupid things at this point like try and shoot with their weak foot when it’s on their strong side, take an extra touch,

The worst on is when they try and side foot it
  • Michaels33
    413 posts An Exciting Prospect
    HAHAHAHA this guy thinks he can effect what rank he gets.

Hilarious.