Why does WL have extra time and no draws?

seabo
1519 posts Play-Off Hero
It's been mentioned a lot before but recently not so much. With issues surrounding the format of WL and the hyped discussion about it, why isn't there a points system with draws like in a real football league as opposed to number of wins?

It would help differentiate with how someone performed through a week much better than skill points which people feel they have no control over. There would be a lot more variation than seeing 20 people on 40 wins or 39 wins, etc. 1 point for a draw should still give enough incentive for people to go for wins (3 points), having penalties just makes it more RNG in one sense.

This will also cut down on game time for 40 games by a decent amount say an hour or two per weekend. Then can also adjust WL rewards depending on points rather than wins too.

Comments

• Sirin
    2527 posts Fans' Favourite
    I have no idea why they don't do this but i fully support it so hope they change it.
  • SPAMPEBS
    4099 posts National Call-Up
    I'd love it if they got rid of extra time, and went to a points based system. I got to extra time so often and waste so much time.
  • Mdx
    2691 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited November 2017
    Cos they know it's rare to draw because they've programmed it to be that way.
    Allowing draws would flag up how rare it is and make people complain even more.
  • No.

I hate these kids in div 1 trying to somehow save a draw against me and not getting anywhere near a win.

No need to see that in WL too
  • JIGSAW_10
    540 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Mate do you know how many games go to extra time about it’s not rare to draw?

Extra time is a waste of time and fitness. Not to mention the issue and problems with penalty’ shootouts. It’s also sometimes unfair when ❤️❤️❤️❤️ kick in and you can’t do nothing first half of ET which mucks up the game you were dominating for example.

I would love a pts based system. It’ll make so much sense and be benificial.
  • the_boss_gurveer
    1962 posts Fans' Favourite
    Games ending in draws would mess up the whole system. Going in ET results in wins and losses both so can't really complain.
  • BestFutPlayaEver
    1856 posts Fans' Favourite
    Agree. Make it points. Instead of 28 wins for elite 3 make it 28x3 points. Atleast this will prevent park the bus noobs.
  • seabo
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Agree. Make it points. Instead of 28 wins for elite 3 make it 28x3 points. Atleast this will prevent park the bus noobs.

Its 29 wins but ye they could adjust it to account for a few draws so it should be a bit less points to reach elite 3 than 57 e.g. 50 points with a record like 26-4-10
  • Johno7256
    481 posts An Exciting Prospect
    So there called it weekend league so to most that is a league format.So you should gain something from a draw

Extra time and penalties last i heard only happens in a knockout tournament?

Am pretty sure Ea harp on how realistic there game is yet there can't even get a simple structure of a league right.So god help them trying to get simple things right like passing
  • Rick
    9185 posts League Winner
    Some people play for the draw and that's boring as heck. I'm thankful they aren't going with a points based system for the weekend league.
  • nicitel32
    3001 posts National Call-Up
    exatly what i was thinking...i will play WL only when this happens..people would finally play to win and not to waste time..overtime and penalties are BS
  • Yordybaglieto
    174 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    for them it would be more work and it doesnt mean more money for them this is the easiest way out for EA.
  • Rick
    9185 posts League Winner
    nicitel32 wrote: »
    exatly what i was thinking...i will play WL only when this happens..people would finally play to win and not to waste time..overtime and penalties are BS

What makes you think people would feel more inclined to play for the win if they are able to get 1 point by just drawing?

In Seasons people already play for the draw.
  • seabo
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Rick wrote: »

What makes you think people would feel more inclined to play for the win if they are able to get 1 point by just drawing?

Some people who you are battering for example, play for draw in WL to reach extra time then beat you on pens. Quite a similar thing.
  • ICUP
    5749 posts Big Money Move

so if you come against a front 3 of maradona, r9 and cr7 you are gonna play the game for the win or try grind it out?
  • Rick
    9185 posts League Winner
    seabo wrote: »

Some people who you are battering for example, play for draw in WL to reach extra time then beat you on pens. Quite a similar thing.

So you'd rather get the 1p than get the chance to beat this person on penalties?
  • seabo
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero

So you'd rather get the 1p than get the chance to beat this person on penalties?

If I didn't beat my opponent in 90 minutes then fair play I deserve a point and am happy with that just like how a normal football league in real life works. It would make it a lot better if there was less RNG factors within the game though. At the end of the day 40 games is a lot and It saves a bit of hassle/time/stress of playing extra time and pens - which can easily negatively impact your concentration/mindset in following games.
  • JIGSAW_10
    540 posts An Exciting Prospect

If I didn't beat my opponent in 90 minutes then fair play I deserve a point and am happy with that just like how a normal football league in real life works. It would make it a lot better if there was less RNG factors within the game though. At the end of the day 40 games is a lot and It saves a bit of hassle/time/stress of playing extra time and pens - which can easily negatively impact your concentration/mindset in following games.

• seabo
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just adding to that the trade-off is kind of that you can concentrate and be fresher better for your games over the WL than a further chance to win or lose vs draw a few games. We all know it takes a lot more mental energy to go through extra-time and even the pros in their youtubes/streams are always like "ahhhh penalties I'm probs gonna lose now they are broken" or "damn I should've taken a break after that but I needed to fit in more games", etc