Which Vsync option is best to use?

Sm0key_J0e
437 posts Sunday League Hero
I am using two Nvidia cards GTX 770.
Should I use normal Vsync, smooth or adaptive?
Adaptive is supposedly best when SLI is applied but nobody seems to be able to confirm if SLI can be used in FIFA 18.

Comments

• Sami1999
    224 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    If your GPU can render cutscenes at 60 FPS, then I recommend you to set FPS to No Limit and then Force Adaptive Vsync through driver, set Pre rendered frames to 1 from driver.

If your GPU cant render cutscenes at 60 FPS and keeps dropping to 40-45, then I suggest you to set FPS to 60 from Fifa setup and then don't force any Vsync from driver, just let the game handle Vsync. Setting FPS to 60 forces Vsync on in game but locks cutscenes to 30 FPS.

^ This is of course assuming that the game supports only 1 GPU. If the game indeed supports SLI, then you may try Smooth Vsync.

Also, what I suggested is for a 60 Hz monitor. If your monitor is 120 Hz, then locking FPS to 60 will actually lock gameplay to 120 FPS and cutscenes to 60 FPS and if your game cant handle 60 FPS cutscenes, then your FPS will be unstable causing stutters.
  • Sumanth
    84 posts Park Captain
    Can anyone suggest best options for a laptop ? Options To reduce input lag ...whenever I connect more than one controller on my laptop , input lag increases ...I use a GTX 860m ...
    .on my Nvidia control panel settings ...I just have the option for OFF and ON vsync ..and I have also noticed if I play the game in windowed mode , it feels slightly more responsive
  • you need to have a G-sync screen to use the v-sync who doesn't do input lag, i have a radeon RX470 with a Freesync screen 75hz and the game run locked @ 75fps without input lags
  • Sami1999
    224 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Kam7r wrote: »
    you need to have a G-sync screen to use the v-sync who doesn't do input lag, i have a radeon RX470 with a Freesync screen 75hz and the game run locked @ 75fps without input lags

If you are using a 75Hz FreeSync monitor and your game is giving 75 Hz, then you are still getting input lag.

Only way to reduce that is by locking game's framerate to 73 FPS using RTSS.

And @OP, if you don't use Gsync monitor and want to reduce Input lags to some extent, then Lock your Frame rate using RTSS aswell. Lock FPS to exactly the refresh rate your FiFA 18 is using. And then set Pre rendered Frames to 1.

^That will reduce input lag but it wont go away. Locking it to -2/3 frames below Refresh rate will remove input lag but the added stutter is not worth in my opinion. That is possible only with Gsync and Free Sync monitors.