EA, it's a trap! begining of the end for packs/loot boxes

Comments

• YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    Ah right @Tof33z I completely understand now. You are so anti-EA that gambling is only when you lack self control. I think you will find that is an addiction not gambling. By your theory, I don't gamble because I have control of how much I put on football bets even though I lose money
  • Recardo
    9099 posts League Winner
    the people defending EA :D

look at any of the multiple thread about opening packs. nobody is saying excellent i spend £70 and got the exact amount of cards that were advertised. :D wow im so addicted to buying the exact amount of cards. its awesome, let me buy some more of those exact amount of cards.

:D

• YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    Recardo wrote: »

look at any of the multiple thread about opening packs. nobody is saying excellent i spend £70 and got the exact amount of cards that were advertised. :D wow im so addicted to buying the exact amount of cards. its awesome, let me buy some more of those exact amount of cards.

Nobody is defending EA and saying packs are good, simply stating that its not gambling lol packs have always been terrible, but unfortunately everybody can't pack ronaldo. However others can pack 2 gullits and a desailly @DarthGrowler
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4102 posts National Call-Up
    Disney hold the power on this one at the end of the day
  • Eyeball
    281 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    Tof33z wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    So...are you guys saying when I opened Pokemon cards as a kid, or the premier league sticker album packets, I was gambling? That's essentially the real life equivalent and I bet you don't class that as gambling

what you are missing is the element of materiality, there's a level at which the impact isn't worthy of a major response. Nicking a sweet out the pick n mix isn't the same as stealing a car, but they are both still stealing.

I highly doubt there were options to spend the cash equivalent of 12K points on football cards in one go down the local newsagent. You'll routinely read on these forums of hundreds often thousands being spent in FP, and that's a level where controls are required to protect the under aged and those with compulsive behaviours.

It gets especially significant where you start to explore the ways that EA can engineer the desire for pack purchases into the game and/or manipulate pack weights according to user behaviour. Anyone who seriously suggests that no controls are required in this whole area needs to extract thir heads from their backside

people used to buy the boxes of football stickers when we used to collect them totalling 80 quid or more...

and also its already been mentioned anyone under age doing it that is down to their parents they shouldnt ahve card details etc to be doing it
    It's more about regulation is coming so companies cannot target underage or vulnerable consumers with their advertising and to remove predatory practices from a game PEGI rated E for everyone. :tongue:

Even the obvious is mostly ignored, like omitting material information, regardless that underage or vulnerable consumers would otherwise have used that information as the basis for making an informed purchasing decision. Shady corporations have been getting away with it for a long time regardless that laws were introduced many moons ago to protect against such practices. These laws aren't being enforced but the failure isn't EA or Governments, it's that not enough people in our society strive to do anything about it.

People don't really cares until it's too late or they deny companies are using predatory practices. I made the effort long ago to protect those in my circle but otherwise I haven't really made a difference for anyone else.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13341 posts Has That Special Something
    People going on about football stickers/Pokemon cards being the same thing need to consider that if you collect these items they still have some value years down the line.

I think the 1970 panini World Cup album is worth around 3k nowadays. There are some Pokemon cards worth a lot of money too.

Your FUT club has no value whatsoever now, nor in 47 years time, unlike the sticker album.

I still collect stickers and sell them for a hobby, you can't compare the 2 at all.
  • Ian_Ando08
    10897 posts Has That Special Something
    People going on about football stickers/Pokemon cards being the same thing need to consider that if you collect these items they still have some value years down the line.

I think the 1970 panini World Cup album is worth around 3k nowadays. There are some Pokemon cards worth a lot of money too.

Your FUT club has no value whatsoever now, nor in 47 years time, unlike the sticker album.

I still collect stickers and sell them for a hobby, you can't compare the 2 at all.

but this has nothing to do with the gambling arguement
  • Knowlesdinho
    It does, but if you can't see that then fair enough.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    Not necessarily true. They don't all hold value. Pack weights meant massive amount of dupes (see the pattern) which were and still are worthless. I bet some cards in previous years still hold value just a hell of a lot less. Look at when gens was still there, people would give their left leg for some cards for gens
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2017
    Ah right @Tof33z I completely understand now. You are so anti-EA that gambling is only when you lack self control. I think you will find that is an addiction not gambling. By your theory, I don't gamble because I have control of how much I put on football bets even though I lose money

Letting you have a keyboard is like giving a rubiks cube to a chimp. Never read such ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

The fact that you're not a gambling addict is great well done you.

Clearly no gambling laws needed anywhere then, we're all good
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    All these people tomorrow dropping £15 on 1 100k pack hoping to pull something half decent.
  • Knowlesdinho
    Not necessarily true. They don't all hold value. Pack weights meant massive amount of dupes (see the pattern) which were and still are worthless. I bet some cards in previous years still hold value just a hell of a lot less. Look at when gens was still there, people would give their left leg for some cards for gens

Good luck getting gens valued by an antiques dealer in 47 years.
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    Rutta wrote: »
    All these people tomorrow dropping £15 on 1 100k pack hoping to pull something half decent.

Wrong they are hoping to pull 24 rare gold cards.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    Tof33z wrote: »

Letting you have a keyboard is like giving a rubiks cube to a chimp. Never read such ****.

The fact that you're not a gambling addict is great well done you.

Clearly no gambling laws needed anywhere then, we're all good

You argument literally was that the amount spent means it's gambling was it not? Crawl back to Twitter and keep spamming #fixfifa expecting it to work...
  • Recardo
    9099 posts League Winner

Pugzilla wrote: »

yes im just looking to add 24 cards to my collection.

• Eyeball
    Pugzilla wrote: »

Wrong they are anticipating the disappointment of discarding the pack contents for a measly 20K while wondering what it's like to win the lottery.
  • DarthGrowler
    16166 posts World Class
    Recardo wrote: »

Nobody is defending EA and saying packs are good, simply stating that its not gambling lol packs have always been terrible, but unfortunately everybody can't pack ronaldo. However others can pack 2 gullits and a desailly @DarthGrowler

@YOLOT0URE that was this best bit of luck ever
  • YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner

Good luck getting gens valued by an antiques dealer in 47 years.

You made some money, we get it. Congrats. People make/made far more selling coins on the game I'm sure
  • Gil3000Doe
    895 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Is buying Fifa points and opening packs gambling by legal definition? No.

Can it result in the same outcome of gambling and become an addictive, financially crippling habit? Yes.

Don't see people fighting against this standpoint, just seems some people think agreeing with one of the above points means it disagrees with the other which isn't necessarily the case.
  • Mr_footballer1
    2427 posts Fans' Favourite
    To people saying fut coins have no monetary value well nep got busted and fined because a court of law concluded that fut coins could be sold for real cash ipso facto they do have a monetary value
  • maymanpele
    14423 posts Has That Special Something
    So...are you guys saying when I opened Pokemon cards as a kid, or the premier league sticker album packets, I was gambling? That's essentially the real life equivalent and I bet you don't class that as gambling

How much is a first edition charizard worth vs any fut card? If I sell my charizard will I get banned?
  • Eyeball
    To people saying fut coins have no monetary value well nep got busted and fined because a court of law concluded that fut coins could be sold for real cash ipso facto they do have a monetary value
    EA having created a substantial revenue stream is somehow different to nep and his associate allowing people to gamble on real football matches. Nep apparently told his YouTube viewers they didn't have to be 18 because they're gambling with virtual currency.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7899 posts League Winner
    maymanpele wrote: »

How much is a first edition charizard worth vs any fut card? If I sell my charizard will I get banned?

Not quite sure where you are going with this tbh
  • Gil3000Doe
    895 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Eyeball wrote: »
    EA having created a substantial revenue stream is somehow different to nep and his associate allowing people to gamble on real football matches. Nep apparently told his YouTube viewers they didn't have to be 18 because they're gambling with virtual currency.

Going a little off topic with this but how youtubers can even begin to think of advertising coin sellers (understand they get paid for this obv) is beyond me. It's like having the logic of "lets repay all those loyal viewers and subscribers who are helping me elevate myself with a ban on a game they will have spent real money on". It's an embarrassment, f these guys imo
  • Mr.Spireite
    1656 posts Play-Off Hero
    If ea want to say packs aren't gamblingbtgen they have to make no advantage from having better players.

Or admit that top players don't give you an advantage..

Either way they're screwed
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain

Ipso facto no.
  • Mr.Spireite
    1656 posts Play-Off Hero
    DaveSaves wrote: »

Ipso facto no.

If you buy packs for money that then give a coin value then of course they have a monetary value.

Fifa points dictate the value assigned to pack costs
  • Bbbbbbbb
    605 posts An Exciting Prospect

Ipso facto no.

If you buy packs for money that then give a coin value then of course they have a monetary value.

EA would argue you don’t buy Packs with money. You buy the points. You chose to spend them on packs instead of draft
  • Mr.Spireite
    1656 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bbbbbbbb wrote: »

Ipso facto no.

EA would argue you don’t buy Packs with money. You buy the points. You chose to spend them on packs instead of draft

Draft rewards with packs so it's just a tapdance around monetary game value being exchanged in a gamble for a better return on real world money.
  • Mr_footballer1
    2427 posts Fans' Favourite

Ipso facto no.

Wasn't me who decided this it was a court of law