OT: Does anyone here play guitar?

Santiago
21486 posts Club Captain
How long did it take you to learn it?
It's difficult af. I just keep trying and trying but I see no progression :joy:

Comments

• XxXlild3vilxXx
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play a little and am self taught. You will hit many walls but with practice you’ll get there. Lots of good beginner videos on YouTube. How long have you been playing and what have you learnt so far?
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    I play a little and am self taught. You will hit many walls but with practice you’ll get there. Lots of good beginner videos on YouTube. How long have you been playing and what have you learnt so far?

I am still struggling at the A chord :joy:
  • Wonderfulwest
    4629 posts National Call-Up
    I've always wanted to learn, but I have no patience and know after struggling with it I'll just stop
  • maXmood
    1983 posts Fans' Favourite
    took me couple of years to learn, self taught, and back then we only had books to learn from, no CDs or DVDs or even youtube.. should be alot easier now.
  • xGrumpyWolfx
    2612 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yep, self taught! Just look at videos on YouTube and pick a few songs to try and learn!
    www.ultimate-guitar.com is probably the best site for tabs too so give that a look over when you know which songs you wanna have a go at!
    Patience is key too, I've been playing for about 10 years now and I'm still learning new stuff!
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    maXmood wrote: »
    took me couple of years to learn, self taught, and back then we only had books to learn from, no CDs or DVDs or even youtube.. should be alot easier now.

Trying to fit 3 fingers in a small space while trying your best not to touch the bottom string probably hasn't become easier :D

Following this guy

Can do the D chord easily but this one I cba
  • Guitar Hero :trollface:
  • Yoshi
    3636 posts National Call-Up
    yepnigotsomuchpoosihadtostopitwasnthealthy
  • Nervous_Nick
    5044 posts Big Money Move
    Santiago wrote: »

Trying to fit 3 fingers in a small space while trying your best not to touch the bottom string probably hasn't become easier :D

Following this guy

Can do the D chord easily but this one I cba

i've been playing for almost 30 years....first months it's a struggle, but it's all downhill from there.
    The funny thing about that A chord is that once you'll learn to play properly, you'll never use that fingering again....you will just use your index finger to press the 3 strings.
  • ThierryTheKing14
    1889 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm a good strummer.

They call me magic Mike.
  • x iD a n n Y o
    239 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Self taught, learnt a lot just by watching Ed Sheeran. Find a song you really like, or a few, that have 3 chords, and practice those songs over and over. Then find another song that introduces another chord, and just progressively build up your chords. Once you've done that and feel comfortable switching between them, work on your strumming, there's tons of ways you can strum to make the sound different. Again, watching Ed taught me different techniques. Small Bump is a really good one to learn, plucking and hammering on with easy chord shapes. That's how I started, got a loop pedal after a year and it's certainly a good break away from Fifa :D
  • Azof
    16053 posts World Class
    yeah but I can only play wonderwall
  • Fifafuthed
    608 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Been playing for 21 years m8. Remember when I was young trying to learn switching between the A D and E chords, was in literal tears of frustration. It will take a bit of time for your hand muscles to adapt but keep at it and I assure you 1 day you will wake up and it'll all come together. Ultimate guitar is a good shout, learning to read tabs is pretty easy. With the A chord you can try using you index finger flat across the strings and just strum the A D G B strings and not worry bout the bottom string. Gives a more rock sound anyways, like so.

IMG_20171121_195051.jpg

Keep at it m8, the blood, sweat and tears is worth it in the end. And chicks dig it m8. :wink:
  • Fifafuthed
    608 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited November 2017
    Also look up "power chords" 2 finger jobs, easy as p i s s. Learn them you can play any green day, punk, metal, rock song etc. It depends on your music taste though I spose. I love my rock, metal music.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Cheers guys :+1:
  • Fab
    17513 posts World Class
    Getting your chords right at the start is a pain indeed. Keep trying though. Just perform several chords several intervals a day till you're comfortable with them. Try to transition between different cords too while strumming. Doesn't matter how slow, but just do it correct and you'll get better at it over time.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, guitar is what finally led me away from FIFA. I now have no desire to play FIFA anymore because guitar is so much more rewarding.

Happy to field any questions you have from a learners perspective - I’m no expert but I’ve devoted a lot of time to learning over the last couple of years.

Been playing for around 2 years and it’s still frustrating as hell but the reward is unbeatable. I equate learning to being like a jigsaw puzzle - it gets built up so slowly that it feels like you’re making no progress but one day you go ‘oh I can see the picture’

The trouble is that as you get better, your ambitions change. After one month you’re thrilled that you can change from C to G without stopping, after one year you still get frustrated because you can’t do things, it’s just that what you’re trying to do is so much more difficult.

Here is an example of my (really rough) playing after c. 2 years of self learning.

https://m.soundcloud.com/bristol86/hotelcalifornia

If you’d have told me even 2 months ago that I could play this then I’d have laughed - this reinforces the truth that sometimes learning is like a floodgate...you spend months and months learning and then all of a sudden, one day, you’re better overnight than you were the previous day, even though it felt like you weren’t improving. I’ve noticed this a lot since starting out.

Some tips from my two year journey so far:

- Absolutely 100% follow Justin’s course. You simply will not find a better beginner through to advanced course available anywhere.
    - Play songs, don’t just learn the theoretical/mechanical stuff.
    - Be prepared to spend weeks and months feeling like you’re getting nowhere. Ignore that feeling and keep doing it anyway
    - When ploughing through the course, make sure you practice the stuff you can’t do, not the stuff you can. It’s easy to fall into the trap of doing the things you can do well over and over because it feels satisfying, but it won’t help you with the stuff you can’t do!

Biggest tip of all is to accept that it’s a lifetime pursuit that you will be slowly building up. Don’t beat yourself up if things aren’t going your way. It’s all about having fun along the way.

Another key thing is to take your guitar to a guitar tech/luthier and get a professional ‘setup’ (string height/action/neck relief/bridge and saddle adjustments etc.)

Cheaper guitars are often laughably badly set up from the factory and often a learner has no idea that everything is twice as hard as it should be because the guitar is so badly setup.

Oh and in two years of playing these are by FAR the best exercises I’ve found for improving your finger independence (key to unlocking lots of doors....)

5 minutes per day of both of these exercises for a month and you’ll be amazed at the difference.

As with any hobby you’ll get out what you put in. You’ve got to really want it and devote the time to it in order to make significant progress.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Oh and if you want a case study in true, absolute mastery of the instrument, then check out John Mayer’s ‘Where The Light Is’ DVD.

10 years old now but still incredible.
  • FinneganFach
    2123 posts Fans' Favourite
    Do what I did. Give up and get a bass.

;)
  • Absting159
    6657 posts Moderator
    I’ve played my entire life. I do solo gigs and have been in a band!! Lol.

What are you trying to learn, acoustic or electric. Lead or rhythm. That will help us to give you some good insight.

Guitar can be incredibly frustrating because there is a definitive point where learning ends and you just “feel it”. You can get there!!!!
  • XxXlild3vilxXx

Just play an A7 Chord if you want an easier life
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    Yoshi wrote: »
    yepnigotsomuchpoosihadtostopitwasnthealthy

Same.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner

Just play an A7 Chord if you want an easier life

Except it’ll sound **** when you want an A chord, at least if you’re trying to accurately play music you like.

Anyone can learn an A chord - it’s just practice and muscle memory. That’s the trouble in these days of ‘instant everything’ - everyone wants a shortcut and for some things there’s genuinely no shortcut, it just takes effort and patience.
  • XxXlild3vilxXx
    Of course your correct, my fat fingers made the A chord quite difficult early on (only on switching) so I got into the bad habit of using A7, didn’t sound much different to my ears! I’m more than comfortable with most chords now except for some of the more complex ones where you need webbed hands to reach!
  • Shaanxz
    20098 posts Club Captain
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2017

yep, back in the day you learned from actually jamming with others! I really think you would be at an advantage trying to learn nowadays I suppose with youtube etc.

The main thing would be learning proper techniques. I have way too many bad habits that I picked up over the years from being self taught. Still cant use my pinky very well when playing solos lol.
  • Legegg
    1010 posts Professional
    Been playing for 18 years but absolutely nowhere near as much as I used to any more. I really noticed and started to get really good after a couple of years. A few months is where you see progress. Being able to just pick it up and play chords quickly and sounding decent. Depends on what kinds of things you're playing and how much you enjoy it.