Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, it's been a while since anyone has posted in this little section so I thought I'd get it up and running again :)

I've been on holiday for basically the past month or so and have not done any fitness work what so ever. However on Sunday I completed an 11.3 tough mudder and was really surprised with how well I coped with it :)

Are you looking to get back to lifting weights or just more running related? :)

Both ideally, although I never normally manage it and usually end up sticking to weights and not getting enough cardio in for football. I've been out from football for a year now and my fitness is really holding me back :(

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't have time for both so I stick to weight lifting but I really want to do cardio aswell :/

Btw have you guys seen Kai Greene is out of the Mr Olympia? :open_mouth:
  • IceIcePercy
    2551 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can anyone offer me some help? Started training about 3 weeks ago for my fitness test for the police which I passed. Across 3 weeks I've lost 7KG and now I'm down to 75KG, been running just over 4.5 miles 6 days a week and then doing a 40 minutes upper body workout at home with dumbells and my chest has got a lot tighter and people have been complimenting me on my arms looking alot bigger.

I'm looking for any tips on how to get my arms even bigger whilst still losing weight/tightening everything up. I have some Maxirawr 120 (I think thats what it's called) left over from when I was training in uni about a year ago but haven't been using any supplements this time around.

Can anyone recommend me something to take pre or post workout?
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    @IceIcePercy , what do you actually need to do to complete the police test?

No lower body / core strength required? - for example what you would get from squat and deadlift.
    Another test; how many STRICT pull-ups can you do?
  • IceIcePercy
    Barslund wrote: »

No lower body / core strength required? - for example what you would get from squat and deadlift.

It's in the middle of a complete overhaul of the test process so all you have to do at the minute is complete a bleep test to level 3 then have a 30 second rest then complete the bleep test to level 5.4. Very very easy.

You did used to have to do a push/pull test on a machine similar to a rowing machine but they've gotten rid of that.
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2015
    FifaCity16 wrote: »
    For me it's pretty simple...

Keep attending regular crossfit classes, were schedules are mixed all the time, so my whole buddy is worked. Combining it with strength classes that has focus on squats, deadlifts and bench.

Might not be 100% the most effective way, but it keeps things interesting. I get bored after 15min in a regular gym.

Cmon man don't waste money on useless crossfit classes

Sure as hell wont join a regular gym here again.

Not sure where you're from, but prices here aren't that different to a regular gym. On the other hand, the guys have actually taught me to do various exercises correctly, such as deadlift, squat, snatch etc... still improving on the technique though. But every time I have attended a regular gym here in Copenhagen, the technique of an average Joe is VERY bad - with nobody to correct them.

Add to that, that we regularly have load rock music for workouts or open gym, and I don't have to worry about sweating and dropping weights - YAY Planet Fitness.

Can't wait for 1RM test next week, to see how much I've improved from 8 weeks back - love them deadlifts.
  • Jenko
    13845 posts Has That Special Something

It's in the middle of a complete overhaul of the test process so all you have to do at the minute is complete a bleep test to level 3 then have a 30 second rest then complete the bleep test to level 5.4. Very very easy.

You did used to have to do a push/pull test on a machine similar to a rowing machine but they've gotten rid of that.

I always wondered how some policemen a bit on the large side got in the force, now I know.
  • angelfoxrage
    570 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've just joined the gym at uni, should I aim to lose weight first before working on muscles?
  • IceIcePercy
    Jenko wrote: »

I always wondered how some policemen a bit on the large side got in the force, now I know.

It's ridiculously easy.....someone did fail during my test day though
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Can anyone offer me some help? Started training about 3 weeks ago for my fitness test for the police which I passed. Across 3 weeks I've lost 7KG and now I'm down to 75KG, been running just over 4.5 miles 6 days a week and then doing a 40 minutes upper body workout at home with dumbells and my chest has got a lot tighter and people have been complimenting me on my arms looking alot bigger.

I'm looking for any tips on how to get my arms even bigger whilst still losing weight/tightening everything up. I have some Maxirawr 120 (I think thats what it's called) left over from when I was training in uni about a year ago but haven't been using any supplements this time around.

Can anyone recommend me something to take pre or post workout?

Don't waste your money on supplements, not worth it at all if you eat correct in the first place
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Guys how do I improve my bench press. It seems that It's literally impossible for me to go up in weight. I've gone up in weight in every other exercise but bench press is always the same. I'm 17 and I weigh around 170 pounds so I'm obviously not going to put up 405 any time soon but any suggestions?
  • Shaanxz
    20650 posts Club Captain
    Anyone done insanity before, I've been doing Freeletics and bar brothers for a while, see no Interest in gym, just a waste of money in my eyes
  • Raymsn
    118 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've just joined the gym at uni, should I aim to lose weight first before working on muscles?

What's your goal ? Aesthetic gains?
  • Matthew
    108 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2015
    Forgive me in advance im a noob

How do I start? I'm looking to put on weight- aesthetic gains as it was put above.

I'm pretty skinny, never done any gym work before. My right arm is a lot bigger than my left (I play a lot of racket sport and i'm very right handed so my left arm does pretty much nothing lol)- how can I even my arms out? Heavier weight on my left arm or same weight but more reps on my left maybe?

i guess i am kinda looking for the aesthetic look of bigger biceps but i want overall improved body strength. I bought some resistance bands (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026JOS4W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) as I do a fair amount of travelling so i thought they'd be good as i can just take them with me?

and yes i appreciate i need to eat more!!

thanks in advance
  • FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    depends on your body type....
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.
    and then you figure out they eat max 20-30g of healthy fats every day...

It doesn't. Really it depends on your lifestyle/sport you play (if you do) rather than that of body type.

Did you just say that your nutrition and macro needs doesn't depend on your body type? Nice bro science man.
    Well no I never. I said it depends what you're doing in life...if you're training for a marathon you're going to want a lot more carbs. What you're training for has the biggest effect on what you should be eating..
    Matthew wrote: »

How do I start? I'm looking to put on weight- aesthetic gains as it was put above.

I'm pretty skinny, never done any gym work before. My right arm is a lot bigger than my left (I play a lot of racket sport and i'm very right handed so my left arm does pretty much nothing lol)- how can I even my arms out? Heavier weight on my left arm or same weight but more reps on my left maybe?

i guess i am kinda looking for the aesthetic look of bigger biceps but i want overall improved body strength. I bought some resistance bands (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026JOS4W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) as I do a fair amount of travelling so i thought they'd be good as i can just take them with me?

thanks in advance
    Whats your body fat percentage? Height? Weight? Access to a gym?
  • Matthew
    edited October 2015
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    depends on your body type....
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.
    and then you figure out they eat max 20-30g of healthy fats every day...

It doesn't. Really it depends on your lifestyle/sport you play (if you do) rather than that of body type.

Did you just say that your nutrition and macro needs doesn't depend on your body type? Nice bro science man.
    Well no I never. I said it depends what you're doing in life...if you're training for a marathon you're going to want a lot more carbs. What you're training for has the biggest effect on what you should be eating..

thanks in advance
    Whats your body fat percentage? Height? Weight? Access to a gym?

okay so just did an online body fat calc and got 9%. I'm about 5'11, weight is an estimate as i don't have scales at my house but approx 70kg, a little less probs.

i can get access to gyms etc but as i said i do a lot of travelling

• Raymsn
    edited October 2015
    Calculate your TDEE and add 300/400 on towards that. That's your calories to bulk for.
  • Matthew
    Raymsn wrote: »
    Calculate your TDEE and add 300/400 on towards that. That's your calories to bulk for.

right, cheers!

and what about routine wise
  • Raymsn

right, cheers!

Personally I'd suggest 3 full body workouts a week whilst 'Clean' bulking.
    Do some research on Macronutrients (carbs,protein, fats etc) and work out your desired split e.g. some gym goers do a 40/40/20 split meaning 40% of their calorie intake are carbs,40% is protein and the other 20 are good fats (fish oil)
  • FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2015

right, cheers!

The best routine hands down for a beginner is upper Body, lower body, rest, upper body, lower body, and rest on the weekends. For the love of God please don't waist your time on the bro splits unless your planning on hopping on gear and don't waist your money on those ignorant trainers at the gym either. Other than that let me know if you have any questions. I've been training for 2 years and I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes it bodybuilding. So feel free to ask for help
  • Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    Eat clean lift hard
  • angelfoxrage
    570 posts Sunday League Hero

What's your goal ? Aesthetic gains?

pretty much.
  • Antparry92
    17951 posts World Class

right, cheers!

The best routine hands down for a beginner is upper Body, lower body, rest, upper body, lower body, and rest on the weekends. For the love of God please don't waist your time on the bro splits unless your planning on hopping on gear and don't waist your money on those ignorant trainers at the gym either. Other than that let me know if you have any questions. I've been training for 2 years and I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes it bodybuilding. So feel free to ask for help
    Something such as Wendlers could still technically be classed as a bro split in your case.
    Personally I'd like to treat my week as a 'bro split' but in regards to the 4 compound movements and getting complimentary accessory movements done as well
  • So while FIFA was struggling with connection issues I decided to go to the gym. Anyone has any YouTube channels I can watch for education? I suspect my squat form is bad and I'm not stretching properly.
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    So while FIFA was struggling with connection issues I decided to go to the gym. Anyone has any YouTube channels I can watch for education? I suspect my squat form is bad and I'm not stretching properly.

There are a lot!

Christian Guzman is a good one though, but you literally just have to seach 'squat technique' and you'll find a million videos on the subject.
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Which shoulder exercises do you guys prefer? I've been using a lot of the same exercises for a while now and I've results but I might try to change some of them up.
  • Antparry92
    17951 posts World Class
    Which shoulder exercises do you guys prefer? I've been using a lot of the same exercises for a while now and I've results but I might try to change some of them up.
    Front raises, lateral raises, dumbbell press, arnie press...but a lot of people neglect the amount of sets they do with mil press which should always be your go to compound to build off
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Front raises, lateral raises, dumbbell press, arnie press...but a lot of people neglect the amount of sets they do with mil press which should always be your go to compound to build off

Okay so pretty much the same as me. Front raises and lateral raises are by far some of my favourite exercises. I do shoulders two times a week and switch between dumbbell press and military press. I'm a bit stronger with the dumbbell's though
  • Antparry92
    17951 posts World Class

Okay so pretty much the same as me. Front raises and lateral raises are by far some of my favourite exercises. I do shoulders two times a week and switch between dumbbell press and military press. I'm a bit stronger with the dumbbell's though
    Should be much stronger doing mil press..i'd focus on more of that and stick to shoulders once a week as they're a relatively small muscle group

• Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class

Should be much stronger doing mil press..i'd focus on more of that and stick to shoulders once a week as they're a relatively small muscle group

Don't think I could possibly be much stronger doing mil press. That would me I'd have to press 90-100 kg for reps and I highly doubt that's realistic for my weight and age.

I train 6 times a week so I prefer to do shoulders 2 times a week.
  • Chubbs
    14466 posts Has That Special Something

right, cheers!

What do you mean by bro splits? Like doing back and biceps, chest and triceps, and so on?