The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional
    TakeItSlow wrote: »
    Been going to the gym for like 2 years now but have never seen any significant gains. Watched a few YouTube videos by chance from mattdoesfitness (hes brilliant btw) and realised my protein and calorie intake is way too low to build serious muscle.

So from today I've started taking in 2200 calories a day and 150g of protein. Its difficult getting that many calories in! I dont track macros except protein, feel like that's just a headache. For now anyway.

Training 4 times a week doing push/pull split. Hoping to see progress by mid feb!

How big is your calorie surplus?
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    ASHERLAUYY wrote: »
    Been going to the gym for like 2 years now but have never seen any significant gains. Watched a few YouTube videos by chance from mattdoesfitness (hes brilliant btw) and realised my protein and calorie intake is way too low to build serious muscle.

So from today I've started taking in 2200 calories a day and 150g of protein. Its difficult getting that many calories in! I dont track macros except protein, feel like that's just a headache. For now anyway.

Training 4 times a week doing push/pull split. Hoping to see progress by mid feb!

@ASHERLAUYY around 400-500, is that too much?
  • BO0OM
    3727 posts National Call-Up

what is your weight? 2200 is not enough and its defo not 400-500+ your maintenance calories. What is your weight and how often do you work out? other than going to the gym do you sit the rest of the week or are you active?

Its funny to see how much people differentiate, i could easily eat 4-5k calories clean food every day :lol:
  • ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional

@Bo0m
    BO0OM wrote: »

what is your weight? 2200 is not enough and its defo not 400-500+ your maintenance calories. What is your weight and how often do you work out? other than going to the gym do you sit the rest of the week or are you active?

Its funny to see how much people differentiate, i could easily eat 4-5k calories clean food every day :lol:

I mean I've met people where 2200 is absolutely enough, depends on the time frame they want to build muscle/Get stronger.

@TakeItSlow , what's your weight/height and time frame you want to build muscle?
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner

@Bo0m

I mean I've met people where 2200 is absolutely enough, depends on the time frame they want to build muscle/Get stronger.

@TakeItSlow , what's your weight/height and time frame you want to build muscle?

Weight is 66kg
    Height is 5'8
    Time frame to build muscle, I dont really have one but obviously the faster the better!

My job isnt active, its office based. But I'm able to gym on my break. I aim to lift 4 days a week and can be there for an hour session per day.

Calories wise are we talking the more you take in the more muscle you can build in a shorter period of time?
  • ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional
    edited January 21

@Bo0m

Calories wise are we talking the more you take in the more muscle you can build in a shorter period of time?

If you hike up your calories to a high amount you're not used, you will get fat, you'll be stronger, but ultimately your body fat % would sky rocket and your muscles wouldn't even be showing as clearly if you were lean ( and I'm assuming you're trying to have a have lean look with abs)

The crazy misconception with people is that when people bulk for 6 months and they gain 30/40 lbs, they think it's all muscle when in reality it's 80+% fat.

Personally, I think your doing alright with your protein and calorie intake. Better to ease yourself back rather than make a drastic change and end up fat.

• BO0OM
    3727 posts National Call-Up

@Bo0m

If you hike up your calories to a high amount you're not used, you will get fat, you'll be stronger, but ultimately your body fat % would sky rocket and your muscles wouldn't even be showing as clearly if you were lean ( and I'm assuming you're trying to have a have lean look with abs)

The crazy misconception with people is that when people bulk for 6 months and they gain 30/40 lbs, they think it's all muscle when in reality it's 80+% fat.

Personally, I think your doing alright with your protein and calorie intake. Better to ease yourself back rather than make a drastic change and end up fat.

he doesn‘t seem like the type of guy to overeat tho. Just track your calories and see if you gain some weight or not, a litte bit of fat is ok since u can just shred afterwards but obviously not 30-40 lbs.

if your weight stays the same ( after a week) just add +300 daily calories
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    Cheers lads. Yeah I never over eat and 99% of the time I eat very clean. I think its the protein intake that I wasn't getting right.

Two things I found out over the weekend that I've been doing wrong (just got into a lull at the gym and didn't even think about it) But I wasn't doing progressive overload, was just doing whatever at the gym. And definitely haven't been getting 150g of protein a day in. Hopefully tracking those two things will help a lot.
  • Fifapayne
    1263 posts Professional

@Bo0m

Shedding fat is a lot easier than building muscle
    The dude weighs 145 lbs..he doesn’t need to worry about keeping abs
    I would just eat as much as possible ..lift heavy and gain 40-50 lbs..then he can cut from there if he wants.
    He’s wasting time trying to “lean” bulk at that weight. I also think he should be eating 2800+ calories.

Make weight gain shakes

Chocolate milk
    Peanut butter
    Honey
    Ice cream
    Protein powder
    Oats
    Etc give you an easy 1000cals
  • ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional
    Fifapayne wrote: »

@Bo0m

I would just eat as much as possible ..lift heavy and gain 40-50 lbs..then he can cut from there if he wants.
    He’s wasting time trying to “lean” bulk at that weight. I also think he should be eating 2800+ calories.

Make weight gain shakes

Chocolate milk
    Peanut butter
    Honey
    Ice cream
    Protein powder
    Oats

Personally I'd never do that, but I understand people that do. He could get gain 40/50 lbs in 6 months, build muscle/get strong,but then get really fat and then eventually have to go on a 6 month cut in which case he'll lose muscle while in the process of losing fat.

Alternatively he could reach the same goal in a similar time frame while not getting fat by doing a lean bulk. Ultimately it depends on him and his long term goal.
  • Fifapayne
    1263 posts Professional

@Bo0m

Make weight gain shakes

Chocolate milk
    Peanut butter
    Honey
    Ice cream
    Protein powder
    Oats

Personally I'd never do that, but I understand people that do. He could get gain 40/50 lbs in 6 months, build muscle/get strong,but then get really fat and then eventually have to go on a 6 month cut in which case he'll lose muscle while in the process of losing fat.

Alternatively he could reach the same goal in a similar time frame while not getting fat by doing a lean bulk. Ultimately it depends on him and his long term goal.

Lean bulk would take absolutely longer to reach the goals.
    He’s 145 if he gains weight to 185 he won’t be “fat” all the sudden.
  • ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional

@Bo0m

Make weight gain shakes

Chocolate milk
    Peanut butter
    Honey
    Ice cream
    Protein powder
    Oats

Lean bulk would take absolutely longer to reach the goals.
    He’s 145 if he gains weight to 185 he won’t be “fat” all the sudden.

He says he's upped his calories per day to 2200 making it a 400 surplus. You're suggesting a guy who's maintenance is 1800 calories, now jump into eating 2800 a day. That 40 pound gain in such a small time frame would be 90% fat, he wouldn't be visibly fat to the average persons, but if his long term goal is the lean shredded look ( like .most people have), his body fat bf % would take a big hit.

Also it's not really practical to force feed himself, personally I don't disagree with your method but it's better for him to ease himself back in my opinion.
  • Fifapayne
    1263 posts Professional
    I think he had miscalculated his caloric levels of 1800...the old standard calculation would have his maintenance at 2100
  • MiIan
    12601 posts Has That Special Something

@Bo0m

Make weight gain shakes

Chocolate milk
    Peanut butter
    Honey
    Ice cream
    Protein powder
    Oats

I would recommend some more healthy foods that are still very calorie dense than the likes of ice cream and chocolate milk. Oats and peanut butter are great, but also try to look at:
    - Banana
    - Olive oil/coconut oil
    - Different kinds of nuts through your shake

But I agree that if you are struggling to eat a lot of calories, making it liquid is the way to go.
  • TakeItSlow
    8726 posts League Winner
    Cheers chaps I appreciate the advice a lot! I've noticed an instant difference with pushing my calories up. However I've lost weight this week. So I guess I need to go down the smoothie route with oats involved to put on more weight!
  • ASHERLAUYY
    931 posts Professional
    Cheers chaps I appreciate the advice a lot! I've noticed an instant difference with pushing my calories up. However I've lost weight this week. So I guess I need to go down the smoothie route with oats involved to put on more weight!

Bro i know it might sound obvious, but make sure when you weigh yourself you use the same conditions everytime, I.e first thing in the morning, you've been to the toilet, haven't eaten and not wearing many clothes etc

That way you can get consistent reading.
  • Choepiechakie
    32819 posts National Team Captain
    Just eat some popcorn
  • Choepiechakie
    Partial/ forced reps are the meta.

Change my mind.
  • Choepiechakie
    So my Gym went to a make over/ rebuilding/ changes were made last few weeks, because one location was sold. And they said that there were like 150 subscriptions being transfered to the sold location to ours.

They removed
    Benchpress,
    Squat rack,
    smithrack,
    bench,
    replaced cardio,
    two cable machines.

Added

A big rack with 3 stations to like squat etc.
    Big ❤️❤️❤️❤️ circuit area
    Extra plates
    3 cable machines for flys or something else weird(still not in operation)
    Cardio is way less then it used to be. But they added that god tier staircase machine

Am I just this stupid and they barely "added" things in comparison what they removed? We have now 4 benches. One is downstairs, so basically 3. And if you wanna bench you either go downstairs or use a bench and go to the new station which leaves u with 2 benches to use.

I'm just lost for words. The design is also so bad.
  • MiIan

Change my mind.

Periodization.
  • Choepiechakie
    MiIan wrote: »

Change my mind.

Periodization.

Defo good, but beta.
  • MiIan
    MiIan wrote: »

Change my mind.

Periodization.

Defo good, but beta.

I agree though, partial or forced reps can definitely work as a muscle shocker when hitting plateau's.