Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• Antparry92
    17922 posts World Class
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    depends on your body type....
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.
    and then you figure out they eat max 20-30g of healthy fats every day...

There is not one sport in the world where a high fat diet benefits the trainee more than a high carb diet.
    Please read up

Please give examples of world champion athletes who eat high fat low carb :(
    I think you're being far too narrow minded with regards to the variety of sports.
    Weightlifting and any weight class based (Strength based also) sport will generally have periods of higher fat to stimulate fat loss (Oxidation)[/b]. Not every sport requires vast carb loading and high carbohydrate diets either. Most people vastly over emphasise the amount of carbs they consume

So you have no examples?

Higher fat diets are not needed to stimulate fat loss. The only requirement to loose body fat is a calorie deficit. Berto Nunez would be choking on his oatmeal.

I never said high carb diets were a requirement, I said they were optimal.

Please respond when you have some real world examples.

Named examples were given....High carb diets are not optimal for sports I mentioned above particularly Olympic weightlifting.
    Also if we're talking optimal here then yes, carb deficit with increased unsat fat intake promotes fat oxidation as fat is then the major source of energy within the body.
    3 of the generally regarded healthier diets from around the world all seem to notably have decreased carb intakes (Icelandic, Mediterranean and Japanese)
  • xxlspiderfly
    279 posts
    edited May 2015
    lol please give a named example of a champion athlete who follows a high fat low carb diet, not the name of a sport.

And since your insisting olympic weight lifting is a named example please explain why the 2012 heavyweight champion Oleksiy Torokhtiy has a diet consisitng of 60% carbs.

You have asked me to read up when in reality you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

If high fat is optimal why is there no world champions in any sport who favour such a diet? I'll tell you why, because is isn't optimal.

And lol at the reference to general population diets when we're talking about sports.
  • Antparry92
    17922 posts World Class
    lol please give a named example of a champion athlete who follows a high fat low carb diet, not the name of a sport.

And since your insisting olympic weight lifting is a named example please explain why the 2012 heavyweight champion Oleksiy Torokhtiy has a diet consisitng of 60% carbs.

You have asked me to read up when in reality you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

If high fat is optimal why is there no world champions in any sport who favour such a diet? I'll tell you why, because is isn't optimal.

And lol at the reference to general population diets when we're talking about sports.
    I'm counter arguing that high carb diets are generally something not see in the diets of weightlifters. Not that high fat permanent diets are optimal. I'd be interested to see the article or reference of Torokhtiy's diet as I love picking up weightlifting articles etc. I'm guessing you haven't seen most of the Chinese documentaries then? Generally a ratio of 50:30:20 is what is aimed for which is if you look at 'general diet' it's much less carb intake is what I was trying to get at.
  • Cots
    263 posts Sunday League Hero
    Didnt know there was a thread like this, its pretty cool. Im having a bad enough year in the gym compared to last.. Just having committment problems for some reason, ive been going 4/5 times a week since the start of 2014 and then a "noob" year in 2013 so i dont really count it because i had no split and i probably made 0 gains haha
  • Antparry92 wrote: »

I'm counter arguing that high carb diets are generally something not see in the diets of weightlifters. Not that high fat permanent diets are optimal. I'd be interested to see the article or reference of Torokhtiy's diet as I love picking up weightlifting articles etc. I'm guessing you haven't seen most of the Chinese documentaries then? Generally a ratio of 50:30:20 is what is aimed for which is if you look at 'general diet' it's much less carb intake is what I was trying to get at.

I really dont know why you think weight lifters do not follow a high carb approach. Please have a look at the top 10 performing athletes in 10 different sports and write down there dietry approach. I guarantee that 90% will follow a high carb approach. As for Chinese lifters it would surprise you what the're macros came out at if they even bothered to track there calories.
  • FifaCity16 wrote: »
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.

It doesn't. Really it depends on your lifestyle/sport you play (if you do) rather than that of body type.

Did you just say that your nutrition and macro needs doesn't depend on your body type? Nice bro science man.
    Well no I never. I said it depends what you're doing in life...if you're training for a marathon you're going to want a lot more carbs. What you're training for has the biggest effect on what you should be eating..
  • Shaanxz
    20643 posts Club Captain
    Anyone has experimce with weighted clothing etc
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero

There is not one sport in the world where a high fat diet benefits the trainee more than a high carb diet.
    Please read up

Please give examples of world champion athletes who eat high fat low carb :(
    redgrave

• Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Pre-workouts (with/without creatine)

What's the feeling?
  • Cots
    263 posts Sunday League Hero
    Pre-workouts (with/without creatine)

What's the feeling?

Still yet to try creatine surprisingly.
    I dont really feel pre workout is that neccesary tbh, ive taken it and had good sessions, taken it and had bad sessions. I feel like its almost a mental thing. So youre like "ive taken a pre workout so i can do better than usual"
    I just drink a can of monster these days haha

• Antparry92
    17922 posts World Class
    I'm on Pulse V4 at the moment, one of the nicest tasting things I've ever had the blue raspberry flavour. It also has creatine in it although I'm not sure how much exactly. Performance wise I've taken it twice and noticed it did alert me a little more than usual.

Nice to get back into Olympic lifting, first session back and I power cleaned 95kg comfortably weighing in at 75kg BW. Cutting out a lot of drinking now which will hopefully help me lose my gut, and I've cleaned my diet up a hell of a lot this past week and a bit :)
  • criminal3655
    649 posts Sunday League Hero
    Anyone here have their own rowing machine? Looking to pick one up under 200£ and after some reccommendations before I just buy the same type as the one in the gym haha
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    What do people think is the best way for a relative beginner to go about strength training? 3 days full body or 4 day split? Taking in to account that I am skinny as ****
  • Hrh1995
    1137 posts Professional
    edited May 2015
    What do people think is the best way for a relative beginner to go about strength training? 3 days full body or 4 day split? Taking in to account that I am skinny as ****

I started up in January and considered both, in the end went with 4 day split moving onto 5 day split which has been successful for me-

Monday- chest, tris
    Tue- back, bis
    wed- rest
    thur- shoulders
    fri- tris and bis
    sat- legs
    sun- rest

pretty much aim for that

also just start on low weight focus on form dont matter what people around you are lifting

• Shaanxz
    20643 posts Club Captain
    My cheat day has gone to pieces, 4 pieces lf French toast for breakfast. Lunch tuna sandwich with Mayo not low fat. Dinner takeaway, 6 slices of pizza, wedges, chips, 10 hot wings and garlic bread with garlic sauce. After that I had 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Don't even want to know how many calories I've consumed
  • Childish Gambino
    101 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    My cheat day has gone to pieces, 4 pieces lf French toast for breakfast. Lunch tuna sandwich with Mayo not low fat. Dinner takeaway, 6 slices of pizza, wedges, chips, 10 hot wings and garlic bread with garlic sauce. After that I had 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Don't even want to know how many calories I've consumed
    This is why I follow IIFYM and likely always will #everydayischeatday

• Shaanxz
    20643 posts Club Captain

Fair, I normally use myfitnesspal. I've put no weight on. Lol
  • Childish Gambino

I use it aswell, I always aim to eat 500+ more than myfitnesspal says

• Shaanxz
    20643 posts Club Captain

I use it aswell, I always aim to eat 500+ more than myfitnesspal says
    Fair I don't really track my calories, I butn calories easily. Also celery is a life saver
  • RonaIdo
    203 posts Has Potential To Be Special

IIFYM

Pizza Daily

• Childish Gambino
    RonaIdo wrote: »

IIFYM

Pizza Daily
    Hmm?
  • Davo
    155 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Starting again at the weekend, haven't been since Christmas..Wish me luck guys :#
  • Scullinardp
    19 posts Ball Boy
    Hi.I am new to going to the gym and I was wondering what would be the best value protein and where could I get it.Thanks :)
  • Hrh1995
    1137 posts Professional
    Hi.I am new to going to the gym and I was wondering what would be the best value protein and where could I get it.Thanks :)

If you're looking for weight gain then mutant mass. u can get a 6.8kg bag for about £50 on thesupplementstore.co.uk and they ship worldwide. They also throw in free creatine, so overall its excellent value (I have been going gym since January and only just finishing off my second bag).

• Scullinardp
    19 posts Ball Boy
    Hrh1995 wrote: »

If you're looking for weight gain then mutant mass. u can get a 6.8kg bag for about £50 on thesupplementstore.co.uk and they ship worldwide. They also throw in free creatine, so overall its excellent value (I have been going gym since January and only just finishing off my second bag).
    Thanks man I appreciate it :smiley:
  • Antparry92
    17922 posts World Class
    Hey guys, it's been a while since anyone has posted in this little section so I thought I'd get it up and running again :)

I've been on holiday for basically the past month or so and have not done any fitness work what so ever. However on Sunday I completed an 11.3 tough mudder and was really surprised with how well I coped with it :)
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Hey guys, it's been a while since anyone has posted in this little section so I thought I'd get it up and running again :)

I've been on holiday for basically the past month or so and have not done any fitness work what so ever. However on Sunday I completed an 11.3 tough mudder and was really surprised with how well I coped with it :)

Are you looking to get back to lifting weights or just more running related? :)
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    I want to do a tough mudder
  • Antparry92
    17922 posts World Class

Are you looking to get back to lifting weights or just more running related? :)

Both ideally, although I never normally manage it and usually end up sticking to weights and not getting enough cardio in for football. I've been out from football for a year now and my fitness is really holding me back :(
  • anjelikmatko
    811 posts An Exciting Prospect
    this was my first summer ever when i didnt eat spiropent or any other trash during the diet and it was cool. feel so healthly now B)