Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    UTB1234 wrote: »
    UTB1234 wrote: »
    What would you recommend to do in gym for football related stuff (eg explosivenss, speed, power, jumping etc) ? Obviously want to work all the muscles but don't want to become slow etc for football. Won't start again yet have exams soon.

Still doing cardio every other day if not daily.

On about FOOTball football btw
    As a footy player myself, i have noticed a HUGE improvement in my strength in football by training legs, back and my overall core really hard.
  • Rackers
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    What is the best way to work out without access to a gym or weights? Is it possible to combine long-distance running and body-weight exercises and end up looking shredded or no?
    Yeah just look up calisthenics loads of routines on YouTube and the people are shredded
  • Childish Gambino
    101 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Tamerlane wrote: »
    What is the best way to work out without access to a gym or weights? Is it possible to combine long-distance running and body-weight exercises and end up looking shredded or no?

How can you not have access to weights? Why not just buy some off the internet?
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain
    Protein peanut butter, is so sickly on wholemeal bread. May have to try it with celery instead
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Don't want to become slow?
    You're not going to turn into a chest overnight.

Anabolic window and all that. Aim for about 1g of protein per lb of body weight
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    And not just when in the gym
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain
    edited April 2015
    Hodor wrote: »
    Don't want to become slow?
    You're not going to turn into a chest overnight.

Anabolic window and all that. Aim for about 1g of protein per lb of body weight

Huh??
    So how much would I have to intake, if I weigh 150 lb
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sorry that was like 3 replies in one muddle
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    You want to be having lots of protein. Could go for 1g for every 2lb
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain

I really don't get what you mean, I'm only trying out protein supplements for a month, because I won't have much time to prepare meals. I'm have zero knowledge when it comes to intake
  • Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class
    Normally you should aim for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight you want to be.

I.e 150 lbs means aim for roughly 160g of protein per day
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain
    Antparry92 wrote: »

That's loads :# I have two protein shakes a day one in the morning and one post workout, but I don't wont to consume 3 a day, because food>shakes
  • Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class
    Shaanxz wrote: »

That's loads :# I have two protein shakes a day one in the morning and one post workout, but I don't wont to consume 3 a day, because food>shakes
    Then don't...It's easy if you put your mind to it. 3 eggs is 20g roughly. 150g chicken breast is roughly 45g

• FifaCity16
    edited April 2015

I really don't get what you mean, I'm only trying out protein supplements for a month, because I won't have much time to prepare meals. I'm have zero knowledge when it comes to intake

Then eat more protein dense food to fill up your protein needs...
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain

Then don't...It's easy if you put your mind to it. 3 eggs is 20g roughly. 150g chicken breast is roughly 45g
    You haven't been to a Halal butchers, it's stupid the amount they charge for it. But I get what you mean. I'm only trying out protein shakes for a month

• Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain
    FifaCity16 wrote: »

Then eat more protein dense food to fill up your protein needs...
    Apart from the obvious, what else is there
  • Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class
    Cottage cheese, tuna and other oily fish are good as well , get some in beans and pulses (low amounts)
  • Shaanxz
    20657 posts Club Captain
    Cottage cheese, tuna and other oily fish are good as well , get some in beans and pulses (low amounts)

I eat tuna everyday at UNI, cos I commute plus Uni food is extortinate
  • Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class
    f8c83ac1b7b5a71082bd73ce8e520644.png
    New weightlifting shoes...they come in the morning! can't wait to get back in to Olympic lifting and start squatting again tomorrow
  • anjelikmatko
    811 posts An Exciting Prospect
    my mate used to do bodybuilding competitively and after 8 years of taking illegal substances just f... his health. :'( stay away from all these guys, it is not worth.
  • Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class
    my mate used to do bodybuilding competitively and after 8 years of taking illegal substances just f... his health. :'( stay away from all these guys, it is not worth.

I know two friends of mine who are on gear. Stupid if you ask me but it's entirely up to them at the end of the day. They're bright enough to have done their research but it isn't for me
  • People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.

• anjelikmatko
    811 posts An Exciting Prospect
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    depends on your body type....
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.
    and then you figure out they eat max 20-30g of healthy fats every day...

• People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.
    people underestimate fats. they work with proteins, carbs and increase them to extremely high volumes and many times wonder why it is still not helping and they are not growing.

It doesn't. Really it depends on your lifestyle/sport you play (if you do) rather than that of body type.
  • FifaCity16
    edited April 2015
    People massively over estimate the amount of protein needed to build muscle. 60% carb 25% protein 15% fat Is pretty much perfect for most people.

It doesn't. Really it depends on your lifestyle/sport you play (if you do) rather than that of body type.

Did you just say that your nutrition and macro needs doesn't depend on your body type? Nice bro science man.

There is not one sport in the world where a high fat diet benefits the trainee more than a high carb diet.

• Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class

There is not one sport in the world where a high fat diet benefits the trainee more than a high carb diet.
    Please read up

• Antparry92 wrote: »

Please read up

Please give examples of world champion athletes who eat high fat low carb :(

• Antparry92
    17959 posts World Class

Please read up

I think you're being far too narrow minded with regards to the variety of sports.
    Weightlifting and any weight class based (Strength based also) sport will generally have periods of higher fat to stimulate fat loss (Oxidation). Not every sport requires vast carb loading and high carbohydrate diets either. Most people vastly over emphasise the amount of carbs they consume

• Antparry92 wrote: »

Please read up

I think you're being far too narrow minded with regards to the variety of sports.
    Weightlifting and any weight class based (Strength based also) sport will generally have periods of higher fat to stimulate fat loss (Oxidation). Not every sport requires vast carb loading and high carbohydrate diets either. Most people vastly over emphasise the amount of carbs they consume

So you have no examples?

Higher fat diets are not needed to stimulate fat loss. The only requirement to loose body fat is a calorie deficit. Berto Nunez would be choking on his oatmeal.

I never said high carb diets were a requirement, I said they were optimal.

Please respond when you have some real world examples.