Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    So going off the advice of those on here as well as one of the PTs at my gym, this is what I have come up with so far

a3d13a3166f3099e2e704206684d9240.png

Any advice? :)

Deadlifts 5x5's as well

For the days where you're working two major muscle groups I'd definitely add more volume on the accessories. You should be looking at 4-5 accessories each day. Usually 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps for the accessories/isolation work as well. Finally I wouldn't leave the accessories the same every week either, I'd switch them up a little, change 1-2 of them from week to week etc

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! :) Any suggestions for the gaps?
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class
    dips and incline dumbbell press for A....Lunges and leg extensions for B
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero

Thanks :) Is it a waste of time doing bicep curls and hammer curls on the same day? I find it so difficult to do chin ups
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    My new program is hard as **** but damn I'm seeing results. Already gone up in flat bench press, incline dumbbell press and shoulder dumbbell press after a few weeks
  • FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect

Thanks :) Is it a waste of time doing bicep curls and hammer curls on the same day? I find it so difficult to do chin ups

Why would it be a waste of time?
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class

No they work different heads of the bicep...although I'd focus on chin-ups and improve on them. Some gyms ( I know mine does) has the rubber resistance bands which are great for aiding you do pullups and chin ups etc
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero

No they work different heads of the bicep...although I'd focus on chin-ups and improve on them. Some gyms ( I know mine does) has the rubber resistance bands which are great for aiding you do pullups and chin ups etc
    It's good that you lot know more than me :joy: I really appreciate the help, can't wait to get started on my new workouts

I'll have a look for that, if not would I be best off trying to gain strength in my biceps first? I really struggle in pulling myself up
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class
    How bad? how many could you do fresh?
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    I haven't tried fresh, and I've got nowhere around my house to give it a go

I could do maybe 1 or 2 fresh, that's a complete guess though
  • FifaCity16
    edited April 2015

Imo thats pretty bad man. I can do around 35 -40 even though i haven't done chin ups/pull ups in a while. Instead of doing regular chin ups do assisted chin ups(machine) and work your way up until you can do at least 12 with good form
  • FifaCity16
    edited April 2015
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    FifaCity16 wrote: »

Imo thats pretty bad man. I can do around 35 -40 even though i haven't done chin ups/pull ups in a while. Instead of doing regular chin ups do assisted chin ups(machine) and work your way up until you can do at least 12 with good form

I did say it was bad ;) I'm a scrawny guy but my upper body is even worse than my lower body
  • FifaCity16

Imo thats pretty bad man. I can do around 35 -40 even though i haven't done chin ups/pull ups in a while. Instead of doing regular chin ups do assited chin ups(machine) and work your way up until you can do at least 12 with good form

I did say it was bad ;) I'm a scrawny guy but my upper body is even worse than my lower body
    I used to be really scrawny too man.Thankfully over the year's I've bulked up a lot. Just keep working out consistently, eat right, and rest and im sure you wont be scrawny anymore man :)
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Most people could only do a couple real ones unless they have been practising.
    Buy a pull up bar for a tenner and get some ab straps with it. 10 minutes a day or whenever you walk past do a couple and you'll see a difference
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hodor wrote: »
    Buy a pull up bar for a tenner and get some ab straps with it. 10 minutes a day or whenever you walk past do a couple and you'll see a difference
    I'll definitely have a look for a chin up bar. Are they easy enough to put up/take down each time I want to use it or do I have to leave it there?

• FifaCity16
    Hodor wrote: »
    I'll definitely have a look for a chin up bar. Are they easy enough to put up/take down each time I want to use it or do I have to leave it there?

I had one which you attach to the frame of the door . You could take it off fairly easily
  • Shaanxz
    20628 posts Club Captain
    Why did I get unflavored protein powder. Takes like poison
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    I did say...... :joy:

Anyway...Does anyone have any tips to get rid of DOMS? other than contrasting temperature baths, foam rolling and letting blood flow from your legs
  • Shaanxz
    20628 posts Club Captain

Anyway...Does anyone have any tips to get rid of DOMS? other than contrasting temperature baths, foam rolling and letting blood flow from your legs
    Ice bath for 12 mins, compression socks or compression suit, possibly change you're cool down. Or some stretching in the morning
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class

Ice bath for 12 mins, compression socks or compression suit, possibly change you're cool down. Or some stretching in the morning
    Compression socks are beautiful!!!! Remember when I was in Estonia playing for Wales they made us wear them cause we had 3 training sessions and 3 games in a week.

It's something I don't normally get cause I cool down and everything, but I came back to play football after 9 months out with 2 operations, went on the bench seeing as I was needed cause it was final game of the season and we were getting promoted. Striker pulls a hammy 10 minutes in and I'm thrown on for 80 minutes first game back after 2 training sessions :joy:

• V l u m s d e n
    1190 posts Professional
    A gypsy boxer once said' just because you lift weights dosnt mean you can fight' but hey if you feel good in yourself then happy days
  • Antparry92
    17882 posts World Class
    A gypsy boxer once said' just because you lift weights dosnt mean you can fight' but hey if you feel good in yourself then happy days
    There's more to the gym than that...Strength for other sports in my case. Looking and feeling better. General health and well being of going. There's so many benefits of going
  • V l u m s d e n
    1190 posts Professional
    There's more to the gym than that...Strength for other sports in my case. Looking and feeling better. General health and well being of going. There's so many benefits of going
    Depends what sport and what position you play, I just count on my speed aggression and determination. I just use too do a lot of weights but I lost my routine a while back but I will never lose my speed just fitness comes and goes
  • What would you recommend to do in gym for football related stuff (eg explosivenss, speed, power, jumping etc) ? Obviously want to work all the muscles but don't want to become slow etc for football. Won't start again yet have exams soon.

Still doing cardio every other day if not daily.
  • Barslund
    4644 posts National Call-Up
    For me it's pretty simple...

Keep attending regular crossfit classes, were schedules are mixed all the time, so my whole buddy is worked. Combining it with strength classes that has focus on squats, deadlifts and bench.

Might not be 100% the most effective way, but it keeps things interesting. I get bored after 15min in a regular gym.
  • FifaCity16
    Barslund wrote: »
    For me it's pretty simple...

Keep attending regular crossfit classes, were schedules are mixed all the time, so my whole buddy is worked. Combining it with strength classes that has focus on squats, deadlifts and bench.

Might not be 100% the most effective way, but it keeps things interesting. I get bored after 15min in a regular gym.

Cmon man don't waste money on useless crossfit classes
  • Shaanxz
    20628 posts Club Captain
    Unflavored protein powder tastes awful, also how many should I have a day and when is the best time
  • FifaCity16
    Unflavored protein powder tastes awful, also how many should I have a day and when is the best time

Post workout is hands down the best time too take protein in order for muscle growth to occur. And you should be taking around 0.5 to 0.9 grams of protein per pound of your body weight.
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    What is the best way to work out without access to a gym or weights? Is it possible to combine long-distance running and body-weight exercises and end up looking shredded or no?
  • UTB1234 wrote: »
    What would you recommend to do in gym for football related stuff (eg explosivenss, speed, power, jumping etc) ? Obviously want to work all the muscles but don't want to become slow etc for football. Won't start again yet have exams soon.

Still doing cardio every other day if not daily.

On about FOOTball football btw