Gym & Fitness Discussion

Comments

• COACH
    20494 posts Club Captain
    Diet is the most important but to Ronaldos point...being sicks kills you. Im sick now.
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Probably not but any of you low carb?
    Im looking for low carb high fat but it's hard
  • Kizzaah
    109 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Hodor wrote: »

If you need Nutritional advice for Low Carb/High Fat Diet drop me a pm. I'll be more than happy to help you out. I'm fully qualified :)

• Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kizzaah wrote: »

If you need Nutritional advice for Low Carb/High Fat Diet drop me a pm. I'll be more than happy to help you out. I'm fully qualified :)

I just need ideas, getting bored of having the same food every day!
  • Kizzaah
    109 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited April 2015
    Kizzaah wrote: »

I just need ideas, getting bored of having the same food every day!

For the Fats eat:

Peanut Butter
    Salmon
    Pistachio Nuts
    Beans

Cut down on the Potatoes, Bread and Certain Cereals if you want to lower your carbs. But make sure your eating enough Calories. Around 250-500 below your BMR Average.

• Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Does anyone have any good advice for eating more and gaining weight? Beyond the obvious: eat more :joy:
  • Warrior
    1775 posts Moderator
    Any advice for losing weight? Currently doing elliptical cross trainer every day. Do you reccomend interval training on it, and how does that work? Want to lose around 15lbs. Any tips on what NOT to eat and what to eat and stuff?
  • Warrior wrote: »
    Any advice for losing weight? Currently doing elliptical cross trainer every day. Do you reccomend interval training on it, and how does that work? Want to lose around 15lbs. Any tips on what NOT to eat and what to eat and stuff?
    Quite easy on not what to eat. Avoid processed foods and sugary foods (always check labels). Eat vegetables with dinner, fruit and nuts to snack. Drink glasses of water as much as you can (obviously not too much). Also protein food like chicken etc.

If you're cross training it seems like enough cardio, could even play a bit of a sport you enjoy.
  • Antparry92
    17944 posts World Class
    Stupidly excited for next Thursday...Have been stuck writing my dissertation and unable to go to the gym and have been eating crap cause I can't find the time in between doing my work. Will have finished by next week and crack on back in the gym seeing as I'm in such bad shape right now
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Once I'm on study leave im going to start going to the gym four times a week (as opposed to two or three times a week atm). Does anyone have any advice for me? Eg specific splits/workouts, exercises etc
  • Shaanxz
    20648 posts Club Captain
    I'm trying protein supplements for the first time. I ordered 1kg protein peanut butter and 2.5kg of whey protein
  • Does anyone have any good advice for eating more and gaining weight? Beyond the obvious: eat more :joy:

If you wanna gain weight, you need to eat more than you burn on daily basis.
    Or you can order weight gainers. I did, and it helped me gain weight.
    But, what kind of weight you wanna gain and how much? You wanna get "fatter" or gain more muscle weight?
  • Warrior wrote: »

Imo HITT exercises are the best, and it takes like half an hour each day.
    Or you can try a diet where you don't eat for 16 hours and eat normally the rest 8 hours. It really works.
    About food:
    Either reduce sweets or, you can still eat them, but you will have to measure how much you intake and burn on daily basis.
    To put it simply, don't eat junk.
  • Antparry92 wrote: »
    Stupidly excited for next Thursday...Have been stuck writing my dissertation and unable to go to the gym and have been eating crap cause I can't find the time in between doing my work. Will have finished by next week and crack on back in the gym seeing as I'm in such bad shape right now

Same here, because of the college, I don't have time to workout anymore :( All I can do is reduce food I eat. It sucks.
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    Everyone must be able to spare an hour most days a week
  • FifaCity16
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Once I'm on study leave im going to start going to the gym four times a week (as opposed to two or three times a week atm). Does anyone have any advice for me? Eg specific splits/workouts, exercises etc
    I've tried many different splits and i have to say my current split is hands down the best one I've used.
    I've gotten crazy strong and i have made a lot of muscle during this bulk. My split goes like this : Upper Body, Lower Body, Rest, Upper Body,Lower Body and rest on the weekends
  • Shaanxz
    20648 posts Club Captain
    edited April 2015
    yeah everyone has to be able to spare an hour. If they can't. All lies
    Post edited by Shaanxz on
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    FifaCity16 wrote: »
    I've tried many different splits and i have to say my current split is hands down the best one I've used.
    I've gotten crazy strong and i have made a lot of muscle during this bulk. My split goes like this : Upper Body, Lower Body, Rest, Upper Body,Lower Body and rest on the weekends

What sort of things do you do in each workout?
  • FifaCity16

i usually do a compound movement and two isolation excercises for each muscle part. For example: Shoulders. Ill start with a Military Press (Compound Movement) and ill finish it off
    with Lateral Raises (Isolation) and Sitted Rear Dealt Raises(Isolation). Then maybe ill do Biceps: ill Start of with Chinups ( Compound movement) and then ill do Preacher Curls(Isolation) and Hammer curls(isolation ). You get the idea . If you have any other questions let me know
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero

i usually do a compound movement and two isolation excercises for each muscle part. For example: Shoulders. Ill start with a Military Press (Compound Movement) and ill finish it off
    with Lateral Raises (Isolation) and Sitted Rear Dealt Raises(Isolation). Then maybe ill do Biceps: ill Start of with Chinups ( Compound movement) and then ill do Preacher Curls(Isolation) and Hammer curls(isolation ). You get the idea . If you have any other questions let me know
    Cheers man, that sounds really good.

I'm fairly new to this, I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a while now, so I'm not too knowledgable on different isolation exercises (Stronglifts is all compound movements)
    Do you mind PMing me a few of your favourite isolation exercises, or maybe a typical workout you will do?
  • Antparry92
    17944 posts World Class
    Your split depends entirely on what you want to get from your workouts
  • FifaCity16

Cheers man, that sounds really good.

I'm fairly new to this, I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a while now, so I'm not too knowledgable on different isolation exercises (Stronglifts is all compound movements)
    Do you mind PMing me a few of your favourite isolation exercises, or maybe a typical workout you will do?
    Yeah no problem man ill pm you during the halftime of the Arsenal game
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Get stronger/build muscle
  • Antparry92
    17944 posts World Class
    edited April 2015
    Still for the most part they're generally considered to different things

Being a beginner I'd stick to 5x5 with compounds to gain strength, the size will come along in the beginner, and compound movements are essential in any workout programme IMO.

My wendlers split (Strength based) is Mon-Chest (Bench), Tues-Back (Deadlifts), Wed-Off/Cardio, Thurs-Shoulders (Mil press), Fri-Legs (Mix between front and back squats) (Although I never use to do that because of my hip operations)

Then 4-5 accessory movements ranging in 3-5 sets in the 8-12 rep range for me usually

Accessories
    Mon-Chest and tris
    Tuesday-Back and bi's
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Legs

If you need any ideas of accessories let me know
  • I am Beast FC
    700 posts Sunday League Hero
    Finally started to go.

I am 6 ft 4 and I weigh 136 lbs so I really need to gain some weight soon.
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Still for the most part they're generally considered to different things

Being a beginner I'd stick to 5x5 with compounds to gain strength, the size will come along in the beginner, and compound movements are essential in any workout programme IMO.

My wendlers split (Strength based) is Mon-Chest (Bench), Tues-Back (Deadlifts), Wed-Off/Cardio, Thurs-Shoulders (Mil press), Fri-Legs (Mix between front and back squats) (Although I never use to do that because of my hip operations)

Then 4-5 accessory movements ranging in 3-5 sets in the 8-12 rep range for me usually

Accessories
    Mon-Chest and tris
    Tuesday-Back and bi's
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Legs

If you need any ideas of accessories let me know
    Thank you :)

I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a bit, but I'm getting bored of it now(same two workouts) and want to mix it up. It also doesn't lend itself well to going more than three times a week and I want to go four times

So you suggest having 4 workouts, each based on a compound lift(as you've said) with accessories? I'd appreciate some suggestions for good accessories if you don't mind :)

• Antparry92
    17944 posts World Class
    A day for each compound/main body part and once you've got the bulk of your workout done i.e your compounds, move on to your accessories. Most accessories have cable/dumbbell variations and also your incline, flat and decline stuff as well

Chest-Flyes, Dumbell press, pressups
    Tri's-French press, cable pull downs, Kickbacks, close grip bench, Skullcrushers, tricep dips
    Back- good mornings, bent over row, reverse flyes, lat pull downs,single handed row (A lot of row variations, pull ups
    Bi's-Hammer, preacher and normal curls, chin ups
    Shoulders-Arnold press, dumbbell press, lateral raises, front raises
    Legs- Lunges, calf raises (There are machines but my gym doesn't have any of them...Leg extension, hamstring curls, hack squat, leg press,adductor and abductor machines)
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thank you @Antparry92 that's relaly helpful :)
  • Gamerking17
    1365 posts Play-Off Hero
    So going off the advice of those on here as well as one of the PTs at my gym, this is what I have come up with so far

a3d13a3166f3099e2e704206684d9240.png

Any advice? :)
  • Antparry92
    17944 posts World Class
    So going off the advice of those on here as well as one of the PTs at my gym, this is what I have come up with so far

a3d13a3166f3099e2e704206684d9240.png

Any advice? :)

Deadlifts 5x5's as well

For the days where you're working two major muscle groups I'd definitely add more volume on the accessories. You should be looking at 4-5 accessories each day. Usually 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps for the accessories/isolation work as well. Finally I wouldn't leave the accessories the same every week either, I'd switch them up a little, change 1-2 of them from week to week etc