The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

To anyone who can play 40 games every weekend and finish well consistently....

Ryno
6532 posts Big Money Move
I applaud you. You have figured out how to use the meta effectively and are a good player.

This weekend's change to matchmaking has made me finally realize that WL isn't for me. My weekly results have consistently gotten worse since hitting 26 wins a few weeks ago and my sanity has been spent.

I guess competitive gaming, and competitive FIFA just arent for me, since I just flat out refuse to use the likes of Martial, Bakayoko and friends.

Maybe I'll come back to it one weekend and try and build a high quality meta team, but I just feel like I've been wasting a lot of time for something I'll never be THAT good at.

Comments

• MyRoomsMessi
    2522 posts Fans' Favourite
    Git gud.
  • Ryno
    Git gud.

*dabs on haters*
  • Orison
    52957 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Using Bakayoko is basically setting yourself up for disappointment. Some people using him might beat you, because you see so many of him, but 95% of these guys won't get anywhere near Elite. Bakayoko is just bad.

Also matchmaking changed at the start of the year, not this week imo.
  • Ryno
    Orison wrote: »
    Using Bakayoko is basically setting yourself up for disappointment. Some people using him might beat you, because you see so many of him, but 95% of these guys won't get anywhere near Elite. Bakayoko is just bad.

Just using Bakayoko as an example, since he is a staple in the BPL meta.

My personal experience has led me to believe that matchmaking seems much more competitive this week, at least today. Yesterday I went 11-3, but today every single game was highly contested or very difficult. Felt like I was playing players my level or higher only. Not enough of a sample size to rightly assume anything of course, but still
  • Orison
    Ryno wrote: »

My personal experience has led me to believe that matchmaking seems much more competitive this week, at least today. Yesterday I went 11-3, but today every single game was highly contested or very difficult. Felt like I was playing players my level or higher only. Not enough of a sample size to rightly assume anything of course, but still

Matchmaking is really narrow for a few weeks now. The first games are still random and therefore easy, but then it gets really difficult.

Last Sunday I came up against an Elite player, beat him, came up against 55th in the world, beat him, came up against 13th in the world, lost, then got 2 ❤️❤️❤️❤️, beat them, then came up against 90th or so :D Seems as if it's a mix between your record, your current streak and the opponents you beat on the way.

Us WL regulars who played most weekends last year as well are really drained tho (wish they changed FUT Champs up for this year), these games against good opponents are still more fun than the boring DKO or seasons, but it's killing me to keep that concentration up :joy:
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    I’m the same. Could hit elite regularly, this year I can’t even get gold 1. Seems a lot of casuals have stopped playing and the gameplay is just so inconsistent this year.
  • SebCFC123
    7342 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2017

My final week of using him, he’s half decent at intercepting tbf but his passing has made me concede too many goals. Still elite tho :D but it’s a struggle using him
  • Ryno

Matchmaking is really narrow for a few weeks now. The first games are still random and therefore easy, but then it gets really difficult.

Last Sunday I came up against an Elite player, beat him, came up against 55th in the world, beat him, came up against 13th in the world, lost, then got 2 ❤️❤️❤️❤️, beat them, then came up against 90th or so :D Seems as if it's a mix between your record, your current streak and the opponents you beat on the way.

Us WL regulars who played most weekends last year as well are really drained tho (wish they changed FUT Champs up for this year), these games against good opponents are still more fun than the boring DKO or seasons, but it's killing me to keep that concentration up :joy:

Crazy, knew opponents I was matching up with were similar or better, but good to see I'm not the only experiencing this, or being drained.

It is a shame that WL didnt change at all this year, that's definitely been a big factor for me (hopefully) stopping. Wins don't feel as rewarding, and I never feel like I'm getting better or have any knowledge of what game I'm going to be playing next. It definitely is exhausting.
  • Knowlesdinho
    12899 posts Has That Special Something
    After playing WL I went Bakayoko to seasons. Just messing, I don't play WL! I got lost in threads and ended up here.
  • I don’t play WL every week, but what exactly has been changed to matchmaking?
  • L3vi88
    985 posts Semi-Pro
    Would like to know how matchmaking works. Certainly the last 20 games seem very hard this year. I’m currently 17-3, but I know I’ll end up about 25-27 wins.
  • SebCFC123
    I don’t play WL every week, but what exactly has been changed to matchmaking?
    One you get a good amount of wins going, there’s never an easy game anymore. Always matched against people on similar or higher skill level which wasn’t the case last year
  • Orison
    SebCFC123 wrote: »
    One you get a good amount of wins going, there’s never an easy game anymore. Always matched against people on similar or higher skill level which wasn’t the case last year

@SebCFC123 what I don't understand is how the top 100 can have such "easy" games. Checked last weekend after my insanely difficult streak of games and I basically had more difficult opponents in the space of 5 games than all the guys who went 40-0 had in their entire WL run (atleast based on the Champs channel thing) and if you look at Gorilla's replays now his best opponents are 18-3 and 17-2 or so, but apart from that he played nobody better than Elite 3 (or being on the road to Elite 3 based on their records) unless he literally made all of his better opponents ragequit which is a bit hard to believe.
  • Paciga45
    3832 posts National Call-Up

@SebCFC123 what I don't understand is how the top 100 can have such "easy" games. Checked last weekend after my insanely difficult streak of games and I basically had more difficult opponents in the space of 5 games than all the guys who went 40-0 had in their entire WL run (atleast based on the Champs channel thing) and if you look at Gorilla's replays now his best opponents are 18-3 and 17-2 or so, but apart from that he played nobody better than Elite 3 (or being on the road to Elite 3 based on their records) unless he literally made all of his better opponents ragequit which is a bit hard to believe.

A mixture of only playing at home and knowing the kit/badge combo of every half decent player?
  • P1stolpete187
    5930 posts Big Money Move
    first game this weekend i get matched up with tass im silver 3 on average, i struggle with 15 game of this ❤️❤️❤️❤️ infested bs god knows why i keep playing this ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • sinasipahioglu7
    1914 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2017
    Rip
  • SebCFC123

Yup I don’t get it, they must be doing something to avoid anyone decent I swear or just really lucky. I mostly only play at home now unless I’m annoyed and avoid certain kits but still match up against a lot of elite players and the odd pro.

Every weekend whenever I’ve looked at gorillas replays or any other pros, only seen one match where it was pro v pro
  • Argie8
    6212 posts Big Money Move
    Matchmaking is how it should be. Just gotta get used to it. No point putting good players against scrubs
  • Ryno
    edited November 2017
    Argie8 wrote: »
    Matchmaking is how it should be. Just gotta get used to it. No point putting good players against scrubs

Totally agree. That's how it should be competitively. I'm just realizing I can't handle the constant stress of playing equal level opponents, 40 games a weekend
  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain

They know each other's kits and won't play away.
  • IDARYL
    5774 posts Big Money Move
    I applaud you. You have figured out how to use the meta effectively and are a good player.

This weekend's change to matchmaking has made me finally realize that WL isn't for me. My weekly results have consistently gotten worse since hitting 26 wins a few weeks ago and my sanity has been spent.

I guess competitive gaming, and competitive FIFA just arent for me, since I just flat out refuse to use the likes of Martial, Bakayoko and friends.

Maybe I'll come back to it one weekend and try and build a high quality meta team, but I just feel like I've been wasting a lot of time for something I'll never be THAT good at.

this post is so salty lol...
  • SurferDude
    1756 posts Fans' Favourite
    To be honest 99% of WL players are wannabes and refuse to accept it so good on you
  • Campino
    28413 posts Player of the Year
    SurferDude wrote: »
    To be honest 99% of WL players are wannabes and refuse to accept it so good on you

Wannabes?
  • Argie8
    6212 posts Big Money Move

Totally agree. That's how it should be competitively. I'm just realizing I can't handle the constant stress of playing equal level opponents, 40 games a weekend

Yeah it sounds awful. Last year was stressful enough but I don't have it in me to do 40 games anymore
  • SebCFC123

Wannabe what?
  • sinasipahioglu7
    1914 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2017

Doesnt mean we are wannabes if you personally suck at the game tbf
  • Danny1894
    265 posts Sunday League Hero

I agree with you but it still doesn’t explain why pro’s don’t play other pro’s

• Ryno
    IDARYL wrote: »

this post is so salty lol...

There is literally no salt at all in there. If anything, it's disappointment that i recognize I can't handle the stress and competitive nature of something I care enough about to spend hours and hours on each week
  • Ryno
    Danny1894 wrote: »

I agree with you but it still doesn’t explain why pro’s don’t play other pro’s

This is why I believe that it should be like Overwatch. You are Gold 1? Only play players that are Gold 1.

On top of that, I think rewards should come weekly based on concurrent ranking. So as long as you stay Gold 1 through something like skill points, you get Gold 1 rewards that week and each month
  • L3vi88
    985 posts Semi-Pro
    Two weeks in a row now that I’ve had my best ever starts yet end up finishing worse than usual. Matchmaking is killing me.