Team Mentality at Kick Off

Danic123
2263 posts Fans' Favourite
So, I've been experimenting with custom tactics & have found a good balanced set up that works for me offensively, but found that I was getting done on the counter due risky attacking play.

Had a go at changing things up using the d-pad and I was staggered how much an effect it had on my defensive line. I basically switched it one to the left on to defensive & now I'm not getting caught on the counter. Okay, still the odd occasion they get through, but that's due to me not controlling a defender properly.

I've been experimenting with it during online seasons & the daily KO tournament & it's a massive difference. It doesn't seem to effect my attack at all either, whilst on past versions it had a negative effect.

As I said, I've tested the theory out. Was playing a team called Inter Barks with the usual speedsters up top in a 41212 narrow. I left it on balanced at kick off & promptly found my self 2-0 down. Switched to defensive & I end up winning in extra time 6-5. Yeah, I still concede but TBH he was a good player.

Anyone who is getting done on the counter, worth switching it up.

Comments

• DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Doesn’t using the D-pad alter your custom tactics anyway?
  • Sercs
    18583 posts World Class
    DaveSaves wrote: »

the pre-set ones like counter, possession, high pressure and long ball do...

but the offside trap, press high and whatever the other 2 are dont.. they're just actionable immediately then go away after
  • Danic123

With regards attacking mentality, I'm not 100% sure what it alters. They attack in the same manner as when it's on balanced, they make all the same movements.

The only difference I'm noticing is that when my opponent counters, my 2 CB's are sitting a little deeper & it's harder to break through my line and get in on goal
  • SergiuLive
    3170 posts National Call-Up
    Yeah it usually means 1 man less in the box for a corner or free kick. Also the full backs don't go into offence as much.
    But the other players seem to play the same. If you don't mind not having the fullbacks play on the wing and don't mind the less man on the box for set pieces I don't see a problem.
  • Eyeball
    234 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    After losing possession think of it like this:

defensive = immediately get back
    balanced = should I or shouldn't I get back?
    attacking = i'm staying where I am unless i'm a defender
  • Danic123
    Thanks guys
  • Diggy
    13539 posts Has That Special Something
    Eyeball wrote: »
    After losing possession think of it like this:

defensive = immediately get back
    balanced = should I or shouldn't I get back?
    attacking = i'm staying where I am unless i'm a defender

PTB ‘Though shall not pass’
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    Sercs wrote: »

the pre-set ones like counter, possession, high pressure and long ball do...

but the offside trap, press high and whatever the other 2 are dont.. they're just actionable immediately then go away after

• Danic123
    Just lost 4-2 on online seasons. Nobody was getting through centrally, but he had Vardy getting through outwide. His first three shots, from ridiculous angle, all parried by Courtois straight to attacker for a tap in.

3-0 down after 11mins !!!