edited September 12
    @Hicksy2011 [img,] tags needed for gifs, without the , obviously
  • Hicksy2011
    12904 posts Has That Special Something
    Yeh I put them in first and it didn’t work, think the link was just broken
  • Hicksy2011
    edited September 12
    Gower saying it has been a below par series for Bairstow averaging 25 like he hasn’t done that in every series for 2 years
  • Apollo
    14406 posts Has That Special Something
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Gower saying it has been a below par series for Bairstow averaging 25 like he hasn’t done that in every series for 2 years

Spot on. Ridiculous how they've glossed over his form for so long.
  • Apollo
    Bairstow quick 20, then bowled through the gate?
  • AaronMFC
    1562 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bairstow is obviously capable as a test batter which makes him being overly aggressive and giving his wicket away all the more frustrating. Obviously hes had more than enough chances to improve and not taken them so its surprising he hasnt been dropped with better wicket keepers available.
  • Apollo
    Atherton just heard us and said his average in the past couple of years :D
  • Hicksy2011
    Can’t help but feel we will look back on this era of English cricket with regret
    Guys like Roy, Vince, Hales, Bairstow etc etc who we have never managed to get by the scruff of the neck and turn their obvious talent in to results in test cricket. Something makes me think Vince in particular would have averaged 50+ in test cricket had T20 not been invented
    Then you’ve got Root who has such a stunning record (he’s got about as many 50+ innings as Graeme Smith, Atherton etc etc in about 30 less test matches) but we’ve failed to turn him in to Smith by messing him around in the batting order
    Better coaching would have made this team something special
  • AaronMFC
    1562 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Can’t help but feel we will look back on this era of English cricket with regret
    Guys like Roy, Vince, Hales, Bairstow etc etc who we have never managed to get by the scruff of the neck and turn their obvious talent in to results in test cricket. Something makes me think Vince in particular would have averaged 50+ in test cricket had T20 not been invented
    Then you’ve got Root who has such a stunning record (he’s got about as many 50+ innings as Graeme Smith, Atherton etc etc in about 30 less test matches) but we’ve failed to turn him in to Smith by messing him around in the batting order
    Better coaching would have made this team something special

Also the overwork on fast bowlers obviously stone is young so time will tell but mark wood could have been a fantastic test bowler if not for consistent knocks suppose his techniques not going to help regardless of format but wonder if as a test only player how good he could have been.
  • Reus
    22445 posts Club Captain
    Our batting line up seemed to get awful around the same time the t20 competition started taking place exclusively in the middle of the summer

So when England are playing tests the county players are playing t20 not 4 day cricket

So guys are getting chucked in having not played much red ball cricket in recent weeks
  • Reus
    22445 posts Club Captain
    Unplayable that

Root got caught on the crease again though, like he has for almost all of his dismissals this season

He used to be brilliant at playing straight balls but now he is useless
  • Hicksy2011
    Still backing Curran to top score in this innings
  • Apollo
    Bairstow gone cheaply yet again, he has to be dropped.
  • Hicksy2011
    This summer was always going to end with us getting ripped to pieces by someone as average as Mitchell Marsh followed by a Smith 150 wasn’t it
  • Reus
    22445 posts Club Captain
    350-375 is par on this wicket I'd say

We are a long way off
  • GL
    6520 posts Big Money Move
    Reus wrote: »
    350-375 is par on this wicket I'd say

We are a long way off

The average is 367 apparently
  • Apollo
    Obviously it's not the main issue, just a side point. Would you keep Archer ahead of Leach in the order? Leach has shown multiple times he's got a much stronger defensive technique at this level than Archer.
  • Reus
    22445 posts Club Captain
    Apollo wrote: »
    Obviously it's not the main issue, just a side point. Would you keep Archer ahead of Leach in the order? Leach has shown multiple times he's got a much stronger defensive technique at this level than Archer.

I'd have changed it for the last test
  • Apollo
    Apollo wrote: »

I'd have changed it for the last test

Yeah me too, think it's the better order for the two of them.
  • Apollo
    50 for Buttler!
  • Karlos
    24283 posts Club Captain
    Jos :heart:
  • Reus
    22445 posts Club Captain
    Hes very good in situations like this

Cant play both him and bairstow though

Drop one of them and pick pope for the winter to bat 6

Problem with foakes is he hasnt scored any runs this season so they wont pick him
  • Apollo
    Hes very good in situations like this

Cant play both him and bairstow though

Drop one of them and pick pope for the winter to bat 6

Problem with foakes is he hasnt scored any runs this season so they wont pick him

In that scenario if they only drop one it has to be Bairstow. Buttler doesn't have a definitive technical issue, he's just been out of form for a while. Bairstow has the technical problem we've repeatedly discussed where he keeps getting bowled through the gate and has shown no signs of trying to fix the problem like Burns did with the short ball.
  • Lard_Lad
    12611 posts Has That Special Something
    Gotta get to 300 at a minimum
  • Lard_Lad
    12611 posts Has That Special Something
    Think I’d drop Bairstow if it’s one of Butler and him. Butlers has some decent innings this series and shows signs that he’s more than capable, also those no one you’d rather have in situations like this.
  • Ibte10
    1776 posts Play-Off Hero
    Buttler had a very good 2018 so I would give him a bit more time.