The 4231 formation guide (Gameplay video added)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    0 posts Sunday League Hero
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • selb
    6807 posts Big Money Move
    Megivh wrote: »
    selb wrote: »
    kentftw wrote: »
    @kentftw who you got up front atm then?

I don’t have the means for guillit yet but will save up for him and see if I can eventually because he sounds out of this world !! Yeah firmino is awesome

Got a bid on for gustavo just now and
    Will be playing this
    94Cr7
    95Neymar 93firmino 98salah
    94Casemiro 93gustavo
    90hernandez 90ramos 93deligt 92walker
    91degea

Should do the job???

@kentftw Team looks good, I think it'd be really difficult to fit Gullit into an attacking position in your team though, surely you can't be thinking of replacing CR7 or Firmino?

yeah good point, and I've just read your other comments etc on how Guillit would be wasted in a CDM role . So perhaps I need to be looking elsewhere for my only Icon. Rijkaard is a CDM so wouldn't work for building the squad I don't think, in terms of chemistry, and his CB version doesn't look better than Ramos? but I don't know. Hernandez 90 is probably the weak link in my team tbh, does anyone know if Roberto Carlos is the best LB in the game, or if there is better out there?

All I know is I'm gonna have a ton of high rated untradeables and with no more SBCs coming out I should use them to craft an Icon

and no you are right, only way id replace CR7 or Firmino is if I packed R9 or Pele/Maradona (who I assume are better?). Especially since I lost a million on CR7. Don't think i'd ever have enough at this stage to craft R9

and in response to your other question never had the pleasure of trying Ronaldinho

Gullit is still the best offensive midfielder in a 2 cdm formation.
    Rijkaard cb isnt really worth it imo.
    I would say telles is better and alba at least one the same level

I didn't really get in with TOTS Telles for whatever reason, I loved his 85 version though

Haha, I saw that coming. But im sure telles still ranks above carlos, due to his hight, passing, dribbling, Shooting, speed, jumping, aggression.

I agree he looks great on paper and I loved his SIF, but I just couldn't click with TOTS version, may have been my team though as it's drastically different now but I agree he should be the best LB in the game
  • FuZyThUgZz
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    FuZyThUgZz wrote: »
    Anyone on xbox one? Just wanna play a few friendlies. Got bored with WC mode

I'm on Xbox every evening after 8pm

Cool. Add me bro. GT: Fuzythugzz
  • nextqprmanager
    3350 posts National Call-Up

I don’t have the means for guillit yet but will save up for him and see if I can eventually because he sounds out of this world !! Yeah firmino is awesome

Will be playing this
    94Cr7
    94Casemiro 93gustavo
    91degea

Should do the job???

@kentftw Team looks good, I think it'd be really difficult to fit Gullit into an attacking position in your team though, surely you can't be thinking of replacing CR7 or Firmino?

yeah good point, and I've just read your other comments etc on how Guillit would be wasted in a CDM role . So perhaps I need to be looking elsewhere for my only Icon. Rijkaard is a CDM so wouldn't work for building the squad I don't think, in terms of chemistry, and his CB version doesn't look better than Ramos? but I don't know. Hernandez 90 is probably the weak link in my team tbh, does anyone know if Roberto Carlos is the best LB in the game, or if there is better out there?

All I know is I'm gonna have a ton of high rated untradeables and with no more SBCs coming out I should use them to craft an Icon

and no you are right, only way id replace CR7 or Firmino is if I packed R9 or Pele/Maradona (who I assume are better?). Especially since I lost a million on CR7. Don't think i'd ever have enough at this stage to craft R9

and in response to your other question never had the pleasure of trying Ronaldinho

I didn't really get in with TOTS Telles for whatever reason, I loved his 85 version though

Haha, I saw that coming. But im sure telles still ranks above carlos, due to his hight, passing, dribbling, Shooting, speed, jumping, aggression.

I agree he looks great on paper and I loved his SIF, but I just couldn't click with TOTS version, may have been my team though as it's drastically different now but I agree he should be the best LB in the game

Has anyone tried Kolarov? or roussilon?
    Marcelo tots looks great but I cant afford 640k!
  • selb

Will be playing this
    94Cr7
    94Casemiro 93gustavo
    91degea

Should do the job???

TOTS Roussillon looks good, he's had pretty favourable reviews on the forum too, unsure on Kolarov though coz he's slow, he'll get burned by so many of these TOTS players now
  • [Deleted User]
  • kentftw
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special

I would say telles is better and alba at least one the same level.

Maradona is not good. Pelé might be better at cam or on tue wings, gut not Cam.
    Prime R9 is probably better than CR94.
    But Im pretty sure you're not gonna pack any of those :smiley:

Edit: toty Marcelo is also better than carlos

Hey Meghiv - seems like you have a bit of knowledge on Icons; spare some for someone who has not had any experience ? - what icon do you think could best improve my team, since i'll craft one definitely at some point since no other use for my high rated untradeables and no SBCs (95 Kane, 94 Fekir, 90 Ibra, 92 Cavani, to name only a few)

yeah I probably won't and I'll never afford to craft the likes of prime R9 either I don't think

WLHlKtU.png
  • nextqprmanager

Will be playing this
    94Cr7
    94Casemiro 93gustavo
    91degea

Should do the job???

Roussillon ist good, but kinda short. I would say kolarov depends on your playstyle.
    Everyone who user him, was surprised. But he isnt top tier.

Yeh Im looking for `end game` fullbacks, my team is good now, with possible upgrades KDB & Petit etc.
    Ive got Alex sandro, Arias, trying out walker, then JuanFran !!
  • nextqprmanager
    kentftw youtuber/streamer - west coast united has tried all players incl Icons - go talk to him
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
  • [Deleted User]
  • nextqprmanager

Will be playing this
    94Cr7
    94Casemiro 93gustavo
    91degea

Should do the job???

Roussillon ist good, but kinda short. I would say kolarov depends on your playstyle.
    Everyone who user him, was surprised. But he isnt top tier.

Yeh Im looking for `end game` fullbacks, my team is good now, with possible upgrades KDB & Petit etc.
    Ive got Alex sandro, Arias, trying out walker, then JuanFran !!

Are you playing all of them left Back?
    Sandro is still ranked pretty high imo.

No, only Sandro LB, who is good, but `end game`?
  • [Deleted User]
  • kentftw
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Salama wrote: »
    Using two formations

When I first started using 4231 I had cheap wingers like Sane 84 or Mkhitarian. Their most important function is to rip the defence apart with fast runs. Now that I have Neymar 95 (and TOTS Douglas Costa) I feel I'm not always using them OR my strong box-to-box midfielders to their full potential. That's why I've been trying to combine 41212 (2) and 4231 (1).

I start 41212 and very often switch to 4231, the formation that I know the best.

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Talisca - TOTS Allan
    TOTS Fabinho
    Alex Sandro - TOTS Benatia - TOTS Koulibaly - FB Peres
    IF Donnarumma

For the second half my strikers are

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

and I sub either TOTS Caligiuri or FB Florenzi in the midfield.

Pros:
    - When it works I just run through the defence and score loads
    - All players 100% involved
    - Fullbacks can provide width to the attack

Cons:
    - Weaker defence
    - Easy to block the if you know what you're doing

If this doesn't work, I instantly switch to 4231. Also if my opponent runs 4231 or 4222 I usually won't bother trying to push through in the middle. If I'm facing 41212-2 and a better player, the same, switch to 4231.

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence
    - Can totally destroy 41212-2, 4321, 4312
    - Excellent for possession play
    - Works against most formations
    - Excellent crossing opportunities

Cons:
    - Wide CAMs don't score as much as strikers
    - CDMs are pretty deep and not as involved in the buildup as "real" CMs
    - Sometimes feels too slow and inefficient on attack

I play with rather aggressive CTs
    60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

If my opponent has fast attackers and a fast formation like 4312, I play on defensive, even on counter attack. I often destroy their narrow formation with 4231 even if I'm a couple of goals behind.

---

What formation combinations do you use, and in which situations?

You know, I haven't bothered with a second formation, I should really though, give me different options if somethings not working. @Salama you seem pretty nifty at a few formations, looking my team on the previous page what other formation would you suggest?

Very interesting @Salama . It has been many many months since I tried 41212(2), and on this advice I just tried it out in a few squad battles games and it was pretty fun (though against 75 rated squads). @selb yeah its good to have a secondary formation to chase game or if they are not being broken down easily. I will always start with 4231, but if I feel I am not creating enough chances I usually change to 442 and use the extra width, and if am more than 2 goals behind will gamble and go for 352. Though I think the way my team is set up now, that 41212(2) might be really suited to it; what you think of below Salama?

Who to have CAM out of Salah,Neymar,Firmino and who to have as the pure CDM (other would be on Stay Back too)? or is the way I've set it out below fine?

1uigUTR.png
  • selb
    Using two formations

When I first started using 4231 I had cheap wingers like Sane 84 or Mkhitarian. Their most important function is to rip the defence apart with fast runs. Now that I have Neymar 95 (and TOTS Douglas Costa) I feel I'm not always using them OR my strong box-to-box midfielders to their full potential. That's why I've been trying to combine 41212 (2) and 4231 (1).

I start 41212 and very often switch to 4231, the formation that I know the best.

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

If this doesn't work, I instantly switch to 4231. Also if my opponent runs 4231 or 4222 I usually won't bother trying to push through in the middle. If I'm facing 41212-2 and a better player, the same, switch to 4231.

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

If my opponent has fast attackers and a fast formation like 4312, I play on defensive, even on counter attack. I often destroy their narrow formation with 4231 even if I'm a couple of goals behind.

---

You know, I haven't bothered with a second formation, I should really though, give me different options if somethings not working. @Salama you seem pretty nifty at a few formations, looking my team on the previous page what other formation would you suggest?

Very interesting @Salama . It has been many many months since I tried 41212(2), and on this advice I just tried it out in a few squad battles games and it was pretty fun (though against 75 rated squads). @selb yeah its good to have a secondary formation to chase game or if they are not being broken down easily. I will always start with 4231, but if I feel I am not creating enough chances I usually change to 442 and use the extra width, and if am more than 2 goals behind will gamble and go for 352. Though I think the way my team is set up now, that 41212(2) might be really suited to it; what you think of below Salama?

Who to have CAM out of Salah,Neymar,Firmino and who to have as the pure CDM (other would be on Stay Back too)? or is the way I've set it out below fine?

1uigUTR.png

In your 41212 I would probably switch Firmino and Gustavo around for long shots across the keeper, other than that it looks good to me
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Using two formations

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

---

Who do you have on your bench?
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Using two formations

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

---

1uigUTR.png

Maybe Casemiro and Gustavo are a bit similar pure CDM type and Firmino on the other hand a pure CAM. You might benefit from having one allround box to box CM thrown in - faster than your CDMs and stronger than Firmino.
  • selb
    Using two formations

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

---

Ive just got 95 Neymar back now too, bench is TOTS Sane, TOTS Lozano, TOTS Giovinco, TOTS Aouar, TOTS Torreira, TOTS Naldo, TOTS Marcelo and 85 Cuadrado
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Using two formations

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

---

Ive just got 95 Neymar back now too, bench is TOTS Sane, TOTS Lozano, TOTS Giovinco, TOTS Aouar, TOTS Torreira, TOTS Naldo, TOTS Marcelo and 85 Cuadrado

A lot of options :smiley: some of my recent favorites:

I know this is deeply wrong for some players, but you could definitely have fun with 41212-2, say Neymar and Lozano as strikers, Firmino CAM, Gullit & Pogba CMs, Gustavo CDM - think of it as a Plan B if you at some game feel you're stuck with your normal 4231.

Or for a different approach you could try a similar squad 433-5 with Firmino false 9. Gullit would play a more attacking CM role with Pogba, and Firmino is great as false 9 striker. The midfield would still be insanely strong defensively and physically. Neymar and Mahrez wingers, cut inside, get in to the box. CMs make great runs in this formation but need to have a physical presence. When it comes to possession it's similar to 4231 but with the midfielders playing a bit higher.

• selb
    Using two formations

41212-2

TOTS Promes - Larsson
    TOTS Firmino
    TOTS Fabinho
    IF Donnarumma

Neymar 95 - TOTS Promes
    Firmino etc

Pros:

Cons:
    - Weaker defence

4231-1

Pros:
    - Massive defence

Cons:

60-40
    62-45-65
    55-57-45

---

A lot of options :smiley: some of my recent favorites:

I know this is deeply wrong for some players, but you could definitely have fun with 41212-2, say Neymar and Lozano as strikers, Firmino CAM, Gullit & Pogba CMs, Gustavo CDM - think of it as a Plan B if you at some game feel you're stuck with your normal 4231.

Or for a different approach you could try a similar squad 433-5 with Firmino false 9. Gullit would play a more attacking CM role with Pogba, and Firmino is great as false 9 striker. The midfield would still be insanely strong defensively and physically. Neymar and Mahrez wingers, cut inside, get in to the box. CMs make great runs in this formation but need to have a physical presence. When it comes to possession it's similar to 4231 but with the midfielders playing a bit higher.

I actually really like those ideas, i dont know why i didnt think of it before, the 433 (5) sounds like an interesting option too, ill play around with them tonight and see how i get on, thanks @Salama
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    With all the hype around TOTS Talisca, I'm now trying (all TOTS players unless indicated)

Firmino
    Neymar 95 - Talisca - Douglas Costa
    Fabinho - Allan

@selb Firmino has been good as a striker for you right?

Since my team is 80% Brazilian, I'd be all set for next weeks one nation WL - if I only ever tried to qualify.

I did complete the De Ligt challenge though, and it was surprisingly easy. I won maybe 6 put of 9 games and made it to DKT final on my second attempt, took 1-0 lead only to lose 1-4.... maybe I'll give it a whack next week just for a laugh.
  • selb
    With all the hype around TOTS Talisca, I'm now trying (all TOTS players unless indicated)

Firmino
    Fabinho - Allan

Since my team is 80% Brazilian, I'd be all set for next weeks one nation WL - if I only ever tried to qualify.

I did complete the De Ligt challenge though, and it was surprisingly easy. I won maybe 6 put of 9 games and made it to DKT final on my second attempt, took 1-0 lead only to lose 1-4.... maybe I'll give it a whack next week just for a laugh.

@Salama Firmino has been surprisingly good at ST, he's more of a creator but has still scored his fair share, he's actually the complete ST.

I also tried 41212 last night and was very surprised by it, played really well, I was 2-0 down in one game, made the change and I ended up winning 4-2 with Lozano scoring the winner. Pretty happy with it overall as a plan B.
  • Viggo 007
    12248 posts Has That Special Something
    high or low pressure for 4231( high aggr in both cases)?
  • selb
    @Viggo 007 I use 50 pressure and aggression, I'm in the middle of testing some different values though, this firmation works really well on near defailt settings
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional

Firmino
    Fabinho - Allan

@Salama Firmino has been surprisingly good at ST, he's more of a creator but has still scored his fair share, he's actually the complete ST.

I also tried 41212 last night and was very surprised by it, played really well, I was 2-0 down in one game, made the change and I ended up winning 4-2 with Lozano scoring the winner. Pretty happy with it overall as a plan B.

First seasons game 4231 with Talisca CAM, Firmino ST: 3-0 rage quit, Talisca 10.0 average :) Feels like having two Firminos, except Talisca has 99 long shots and 98 shot power and better passing stats. For 60k, just ridiculous... but now extinct on xbox1.
  • selb

Firmino
    Fabinho - Allan

First seasons game 4231 with Talisca CAM, Firmino ST: 3-0 rage quit, Talisca 10.0 average :) Feels like having two Firminos, except Talisca has 99 long shots and 98 shot power and better passing stats. For 60k, just ridiculous... but now extinct on xbox1.

Talisca looks a great CAM, I'd probably try him if I didn't have Gullit there. How you getting on with Costa? When I had him I found him really one dimensional, rapid, but not much else after that, his wf was terrible for me too
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional

Firmino
    Fabinho - Allan

Talisca looks a great CAM, I'd probably try him if I didn't have Gullit there. How you getting on with Costa? When I had him I found him really one dimensional, rapid, but not much else after that, his wf was terrible for me too

D Costa is nothing special, does the job. I usually sub him for Promes.

Another example of adaptive tactics while I'm at it: I start 4231 against an opponent playing an all TOTS 352. I can't find a pass from my CDMs to my CCAM or use the sidelines - the whole midfield just feels choked. He prefers to attack in the middle using his Dybala, it's looking bad.

After 10 minutes I switch to 41212-2, and with 4 midfielders close together in the middle it's easy to play tiki taka and find the passes, and then it's my Neymar, Firmino and Talisca against 3 defenders. By the end of first half I have a 3-0 lead with 61% possession. He can only shoot long shots from outside the box.

What my opponent should've done is switch to 4231 or 4222 but he didn't.

Disclaimer: I still suck at the game, but I enjoy the tactics.
  • selb
    edited June 2018

Firmino
    Fabinho - Allan

D Costa is nothing special, does the job. I usually sub him for Promes.

Another example of adaptive tactics while I'm at it: I start 4231 against an opponent playing an all TOTS 352. I can't find a pass from my CDMs to my CCAM or use the sidelines - the whole midfield just feels choked. He prefers to attack in the middle using his Dybala, it's looking bad.

After 10 minutes I switch to 41212-2, and with 4 midfielders close together in the middle it's easy to play tiki taka and find the passes, and then it's my Neymar, Firmino and Talisca against 3 defenders. By the end of first half I have a 3-0 lead with 61% possession. He can only shoot long shots from outside the box.

What my opponent should've done is switch to 4231 or 4222 but he didn't.

Disclaimer: I still suck at the game, but I enjoy the tactics.

Haha nice one, I'm gonna keep this in mind during this WL, I think thats where i lose a lot of the time, I don't adapt, I keep trying to force what isn't working and I end up making mistakes which they take advantage of.

Edit : I also found that with Costa too, he also waste so many goal scoring opportunities!
  • selb
    Whilst I'm here I just wanna ask you which team you think would be better again, I've come up with a slightly different option which I could just about stretch to.

1 My current team

[img][/img]Screenshot_20180608-100421.png.

Or 2

[img][/img]Screenshot_20180608-100209.pngimage hosting over 5mb.
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Whilst I'm here I just wanna ask you which team you think would be better again, I've come up with a slightly different option which I could just about stretch to.

1 My current team

[img][/img]Screenshot_20180608-100421.png.

Or 2

[img][/img]Screenshot_20180608-100209.pngimage hosting over 5mb.

Win some, lose some... best one would be

Aguero
    Neymar - Gullit - Mahrez

right? Or even Firmino instead of Mahrez, if you think he's fast enough.