The 4231 formation guide (Gameplay video added)

Comments

  • MayneNL
    134 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Nice guide :smile:
    Using this team currently -

    oHJVCU2.jpg
  • jonkero
    5140 posts Big Money Move
    Awesome bro, was using quite similar CT and PI. This style of play is so much more enjoying than 41212 or 4321, finally enjoying fifa again
  • bigpokey24
    4793 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2017
    there is a huge problem with this formation after a while , it becomes stale, your wide CAMS do lack movements, I have switched to the wide formation and my goodness it's one of the best formation in FIFA 18

    This formation lacks creativity and it forces you to pass. pass, pass with no bite.. going a goal down with this formation is a disaster
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    there is a huge problem with this formation after a while , it becomes stale, your wide CAMS do lack movements, I have switched to the wide formation and my goodness it's one of the best formation in FIFA 18

    This formation lacks creativity and it forces you to pass. pass, pass with no bite.. going a goal down with this formation is a disaster

    I feel quite the opposite. Wide cams are moving all the time. Especially with a CT that uses short passes, they come close and cut inside alot. I feel the wingers in 4231(2) are completly useless. Never really worked for me.
    Its all about how well you know the formation and what style you play.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    jonkero wrote: »
    Awesome bro, was using quite similar CT and PI. This style of play is so much more enjoying than 41212 or 4321, finally enjoying fifa again

    Thats awesome =) Yeah this formation and playstyle is the only thing holding me to fifa currently. Its really rewarding and if gameplay is good i actually do enjoy playing.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    HysxteriA wrote: »
    CT's not aggressive enough for me. I have to go really aggressive with this formation or I can't get it to work.

    Yeah dude whatever works for you :) I try to be aggressive by manually pressing , switching players and 2nd man pressing. Ive tryed to play with higher aggression but it just doesnt work for me. I get picked a part as soon as AI decides to move my defenders.
  • bigpokey24
    4793 posts Big Money Move
    Dronegan wrote: »
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    there is a huge problem with this formation after a while , it becomes stale, your wide CAMS do lack movements, I have switched to the wide formation and my goodness it's one of the best formation in FIFA 18

    This formation lacks creativity and it forces you to pass. pass, pass with no bite.. going a goal down with this formation is a disaster

    I feel quite the opposite. Wide cams are moving all the time. Especially with a CT that uses short passes, they come close and cut inside alot. I feel the wingers in 4231(2) are completly useless. Never really worked for me.
    Its all about how well you know the formation and what style you play.

    i used this formation with 65, 35, build up..( almost 250 games) yes you get to control the game, but you struggle a lot creating goals... going down a goal and high -pressure will be a major issue, the wide CAMS are too narrow
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    Dronegan wrote: »
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    there is a huge problem with this formation after a while , it becomes stale, your wide CAMS do lack movements, I have switched to the wide formation and my goodness it's one of the best formation in FIFA 18

    This formation lacks creativity and it forces you to pass. pass, pass with no bite.. going a goal down with this formation is a disaster

    I feel quite the opposite. Wide cams are moving all the time. Especially with a CT that uses short passes, they come close and cut inside alot. I feel the wingers in 4231(2) are completly useless. Never really worked for me.
    Its all about how well you know the formation and what style you play.

    i used this formation with 65, 35, build up..( almost 250 games) yes you get to control the game, but you struggle a lot creating goals... going down a goal and high -pressure will be a major issue, the wide CAMS are too narrow


    Nah dude. I have no trouble creating chances. In my oppinion this formation is direct counter to high-pressure. I actually prefer playing against high pressure since its easier to pick them apart. But as i said this formation aint for everyone. We all have different playstyles.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4120 posts National Call-Up
    I use this formation.

    Gomez
    Scream Perisic Prime Rui Mertens
    Matuidi Scream Khedira
    IF Ghoulam OTW Bonucci Manolas Florenzi
    Handanovic

    Disagree with the 'work rates don't matter for CB's'. I tried Koulibaly with Manolas and the amount of times I was left stranded and outnumbered at the back because Koulibaly had wandered forward was ridiculous. You either want two aggressive H/M, H/H CB's, or two defensive ones. Need to pair up otherwise you'll have one racing forward and another hanging back leaving you very, very vulnerable.

    Other than that, solid guide. CT's are very different to mine but each to their own.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    I use this formation.

    Gomez
    Scream Perisic Prime Rui Mertens
    Matuidi Scream Khedira
    IF Ghoulam OTW Bonucci Manolas Florenzi
    Handanovic

    Disagree with the 'work rates don't matter for CB's'. I tried Koulibaly with Manolas and the amount of times I was left stranded and outnumbered at the back because Koulibaly had wandered forward was ridiculous. You either want two aggressive H/M, H/H CB's, or two defensive ones. Need to pair up otherwise you'll have one racing forward and another hanging back leaving you very, very vulnerable.

    Other than that, solid guide. CT's are very different to mine but each to their own.

    Thats a nice team. How is gomez as striker? Ive used both Manolas and Koulibaly together and they were both rock solid for me. Handanovic on the other hand was the worst gk ive used. Never saved anything for me lol.
  • Thamightyboro
    7067 posts Big Money Move
    I had a guy call me the deadest fifa player ever because I had 80% possession and pass around the back regulary switching sides.

    Aye no bother mate ill play high pressure.ping pong ptb counter **** with you next time meanwhile ill enjoy the 3-0 win and not giving you a single shot.

    :)
  • Thamightyboro
    7067 posts Big Money Move
    Dronegan wrote: »
    I use this formation.

    Gomez
    Scream Perisic Prime Rui Mertens
    Matuidi Scream Khedira
    IF Ghoulam OTW Bonucci Manolas Florenzi
    Handanovic

    Disagree with the 'work rates don't matter for CB's'. I tried Koulibaly with Manolas and the amount of times I was left stranded and outnumbered at the back because Koulibaly had wandered forward was ridiculous. You either want two aggressive H/M, H/H CB's, or two defensive ones. Need to pair up otherwise you'll have one racing forward and another hanging back leaving you very, very vulnerable.

    Other than that, solid guide. CT's are very different to mine but each to their own.

    Thats a nice team. How is gomez as striker? Ive used both Manolas and Koulibaly together and they were both rock solid for me. Handanovic on the other hand was the worst gk ive used. Never saved anything for me lol.

    Rare I agree with akin :) but.do on that just cant play 2 h defs together especially ones with the agression of those 2 like my l/h and m/m pairings
  • HysxteriA
    3201 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2017
    Dronegan wrote: »
    HysxteriA wrote: »
    CT's not aggressive enough for me. I have to go really aggressive with this formation or I can't get it to work.

    Yeah dude whatever works for you :) I try to be aggressive by manually pressing , switching players and 2nd man pressing. Ive tryed to play with higher aggression but it just doesnt work for me. I get picked a part as soon as AI decides to move my defenders.

    By high aggression I was meaning my build up play is set to about 90. Shooting and passing is 80. Stay forward on all 3 CAMs, 65 aggression. It works well for me anyway, I feel without those high values players are way too static on this formation. It's an excellent starting point to a game though for me. Most would perhaps end with it hut I prefer to start with it for some reason, I feel like I can kill my opponents tempo from the start. However, if I concede before I score I do switch to a 41212(2). Feel it's hard to get a goal back when the time is ticking. For control and possession though there is no other formation that comes close to this imo.
  • Lusitania
    333 posts Sunday League Hero
    Thank you for this. Will give it a go. I have been playing mainly with the 4-4-1-1 that I love for the diversity but strugling a little.

    Would love to give this a go. What do you think of this team? Not perfect for Bale and Neuer chemistry, but if you have any suggestions I really apreciate. For my budget right now, this is the maximum I can afford. I already have Sandro, Rui Costa, Manolas and Overmars. Eveyone else has to be purchased yet.

    Suarez

    Overmars Gareth Bale

    Rui Costa

    Nainggolan Vidal


    A. Sandro Manolas Sokratis Kimmich (86)

    Neuer


    Thank you
  • Stell4r
    514 posts Sunday League Hero
    I have Rui Costa and bergkamp. Which is best for central cam and wide?
  • HysxteriA
    3201 posts National Call-Up
    edited November 2017
    Stell4r wrote: »
    I have Rui Costa and bergkamp. Which is best for central cam and wide?

    87 Bergkamp central, 90 Bergkamp wide. Depends which version you are talking about. Use Hawk to increase aggression on both.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    Stell4r wrote: »
    I have Rui Costa and bergkamp. Which is best for central cam and wide?

    They are very similiar. BUT Bergkamp has better finishing and positioning which will make him more clinical in the box. He will get the most scoring chances as central CAM and there is where i would play him.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    Lusitania wrote: »
    Thank you for this. Will give it a go. I have been playing mainly with the 4-4-1-1 that I love for the diversity but strugling a little.

    Would love to give this a go. What do you think of this team? Not perfect for Bale and Neuer chemistry, but if you have any suggestions I really apreciate. For my budget right now, this is the maximum I can afford. I already have Sandro, Rui Costa, Manolas and Overmars. Eveyone else has to be purchased yet.

    Suarez

    Overmars Gareth Bale

    Rui Costa

    Nainggolan Vidal


    A. Sandro Manolas Sokratis Kimmich (86)

    Neuer


    Thank you

    I would switch sides on Bale and Overmars unless you finess alot. Overmars has 5 star WF meaning he will score goals with both feet. Bale will be more effective on the left side for those low driven shots.
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4120 posts National Call-Up
    Dronegan wrote: »
    I use this formation.

    Gomez
    Scream Perisic Prime Rui Mertens
    Matuidi Scream Khedira
    IF Ghoulam OTW Bonucci Manolas Florenzi
    Handanovic

    Disagree with the 'work rates don't matter for CB's'. I tried Koulibaly with Manolas and the amount of times I was left stranded and outnumbered at the back because Koulibaly had wandered forward was ridiculous. You either want two aggressive H/M, H/H CB's, or two defensive ones. Need to pair up otherwise you'll have one racing forward and another hanging back leaving you very, very vulnerable.

    Other than that, solid guide. CT's are very different to mine but each to their own.

    Thats a nice team. How is gomez as striker? Ive used both Manolas and Koulibaly together and they were both rock solid for me. Handanovic on the other hand was the worst gk ive used. Never saved anything for me lol.

    He's okay, nothing too spectacular. Waiting on prices to come down a bit to replace him with one of 89 Shearer, 88 Shevchenko or 88 Kluivert. He's just a little too weak, other than that, solid option.

    Having similar issues with Handanovic. Rarely ever saves anything but I've tried a handful of Calcio A keepers and they're no better. But he has the long throw trait or whatever it is, which puts him slightly above the rest for me :lol:
  • Lusitania
    333 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dronegan wrote: »
    Lusitania wrote: »
    Thank you for this. Will give it a go. I have been playing mainly with the 4-4-1-1 that I love for the diversity but strugling a little.

    Would love to give this a go. What do you think of this team? Not perfect for Bale and Neuer chemistry, but if you have any suggestions I really apreciate. For my budget right now, this is the maximum I can afford. I already have Sandro, Rui Costa, Manolas and Overmars. Eveyone else has to be purchased yet.

    Suarez

    Overmars Gareth Bale

    Rui Costa

    Nainggolan Vidal


    A. Sandro Manolas Sokratis Kimmich (86)

    Neuer


    Thank you

    I would switch sides on Bale and Overmars unless you finess alot. Overmars has 5 star WF meaning he will score goals with both feet. Bale will be more effective on the left side for those low driven shots.

    Thank you. that is indeed some nice advise. I have high expectations for this tactic :)
  • paul24878306
    4717 posts Big Money Move
    Hamsik aa cam? I know he's only 3* skills but 5 * wf.

    I have mertens and gomez wide with scream Perisic striker.

    I could move Perisic wide in place of gomez (a little weak maybe) or hamsik, but would need a striker. I've tried if icardi and if immobile but it wasn't working. Maybe higuain?
  • Stell4r
    514 posts Sunday League Hero
    HysxteriA wrote: »
    Stell4r wrote: »
    I have Rui Costa and bergkamp. Which is best for central cam and wide?

    87 Bergkamp central, 90 Bergkamp wide. Depends which version you are talking about. Use Hawk to increase aggression on both.

    I have both the 90 version.
  • Dsteve007
    359 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm loving this formation at the moment.

    My team

    IF Hando
    Florenzi, koulibaly, manolas, IF Ghoulam
    Nainggolan, de rossi
    Gomez, IF brozovic, scream perisic
    Higuain

    Any suggestions on improvements?

  • Kove
    4013 posts National Call-Up
    This is my go to this year. Easily my favourite. My only issue is the wide cams. The best players for the position are generally wingers (as per the recommended players).

    Which means you are at low Chem or need to formation swap. Neither of which are ideal.

    Great formation, annoying implementation
  • Kove
    4013 posts National Call-Up
    Also. GG on the guide. Love the work
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    Kove wrote: »
    This is my go to this year. Easily my favourite. My only issue is the wide cams. The best players for the position are generally wingers (as per the recommended players).

    Which means you are at low Chem or need to formation swap. Neither of which are ideal.

    Great formation, annoying implementation

    Try get dybala at wide cam if you can. Honestly the best ram I've used. He really gets involved unlike other wide cams I've used so far.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    Dsteve007 wrote: »
    I'm loving this formation at the moment.

    My team

    IF Hando
    Florenzi, koulibaly, manolas, IF Ghoulam
    Nainggolan, de rossi
    Gomez, IF brozovic, scream perisic
    Higuain

    Any suggestions on improvements?

    That team is very solid. Ive used similiar team before. Fullbacks are really quality. Ive had IF Handanovic and together with his NIF he was really awful for me. Really prefer Buffon over him. Other than that you could add Chiellini in defense instead of Koulibaly, and also top the team with Merten & Dybala if you have the coins.
  • Dronegan
    995 posts Professional
    xToXiCz wrote: »
    I want to give this formation a try. Played 41312(2) but I need more offensive Chances


    What do you say this team:

    Agüero
    Martial eriksen willian
    Herrera Bakayoko
    Rose David Luiz bailly Valencia
    Courtis

    I would say that is a really solid team. Willian is really good this year, one of the best NIF cards in the game for sure. I have not used Aguero yet though, but Eriksen and Martial are awesome this year. Herrera is a cheap gem.
    I cant see a reason for you not to be banging in goals with that team =)
  • Kove
    4013 posts National Call-Up
    Can't believe I am asking this but Zlatan or Modric at Central cam?
  • Dsteve007
    359 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dronegan wrote: »
    Dsteve007 wrote: »
    I'm loving this formation at the moment.

    My team

    IF Hando
    Florenzi, koulibaly, manolas, IF Ghoulam
    Nainggolan, de rossi
    Gomez, IF brozovic, scream perisic
    Higuain

    Any suggestions on improvements?

    That team is very solid. Ive used similiar team before. Fullbacks are really quality. Ive had IF Handanovic and together with his NIF he was really awful for me. Really prefer Buffon over him. Other than that you could add Chiellini in defense instead of Koulibaly, and also top the team with Merten & Dybala if you have the coins.

    I've only just picked up Hando. And I think ur right. He's worse than the perin I was using. I may sell hando and buy one of the players u suggested.
Sign In or Register to comment.