Best formation in squad battles?

chosenone
2324 posts Fans' Favourite
edited October 2017
As per title, does anyone feel there are certain formations which work better against teams in WC/Legendary/Ultimate in squad battles? I am currently using 433(3) as its good for possession play which you need against the AI and its solid against their random quick passes but I sometimes find it difficult to break them down when the gameplay becomes slow and sluggish.

I know it matters on your playing style and the opponent's formation etc but im just trying to see if there is a general trend.

I have gone to 3ATB in some games and that seems to help me out a bit but I have to make sure its not a good attacking team and I have wing backs at CB to deal with the pace.

Comments

• pekkaa88
    7267 posts Big Money Move
    Are you going for top100 or just elite 1?

If top100 its probably the best to go with something attacking. If elite then just go with the basics
  • chosenone
    pekkaa88 wrote: »
    Are you going for top100 or just elite 1?

If top100 its probably the best to go with something attacking. If elite then just go with the basics

I'm sitting on Elite1 but I want to push for top 100 if I can get all my games in. Right now im keen on improving my game to make sure I don't get those odd losses anymore. My downfall this week was a couple of games failure to break them down led me to being countered. I can beat legendary by 3-5 goals most of the time but im getting a lot of scrapes a few slip through as losses too. Ended on 85k points this week but I stopped playing as it was too far off. All my games are on legendary at the moment....I play featured in world class as the points don't mean much and if I have nothing to play for, I play on ultimate, only won once, lost 4-5 times due to their extraterrestial powers lol
  • IamFrench
    2164 posts Fans' Favourite
    LM/LW - RM/RW is very important for me. I hate 41212(2)/4312 in Squad Battles.

I play in 352 and It's very good. It's rare that I lose a game in Legendary.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2017
    I am having good luck with my 41212 (wide) that has a LM and a RM in it. I use either a Bundesliga squad (Ribery/Bellarabi out wide) or a Serie A squad (Perisic/Insigne out wide). I typically play the worst team of the four on Legendary and then play the other three on Professional and am hitting Elite 2.

This seems to give me the spacing I need to just keeping finding the open man and working the ball up the field and occasionally the runs from the LM/RM spots are great from the outside. Played the Featured Matchup on professional this week and Perisic balled out with four goals from LM somehow.

I just think attacking completely up the middle won't work as well as having the outside options - they also help pinch the outside with your LB/RB on D.
  • CarlosJr9
    602 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Personally I think 4-1-2-1-2(2) is great in squad battles.
  • Thamightyboro
    8100 posts League Winner
    4231 narrow gives the best of both worlds with ability to go wide or hit through middle

My weeks already screwed thanks to one of thise mysterious discons in very first match when up 5-0
  • On Legendary or higher vs Narrow formations use 442

Everything else, just be like everyone else and use a narrow formation
  • Liam W
    2820 posts Fans' Favourite
    I like 4-5-1. The 2 CAMs cause their defence to pinch and your wingers can make late runs and score across the goalkeeper.
  • chosenone
    IamFrench wrote: »

@IamFrench
    yeah im exactly the same. I have switched to 352 a few times midgame when I am struggling to break them down or if im behind and it almost always results in me making a breakthrough. How have you set up your defence? Do you have pacey CB and do you do any CT with your CMs/CDMs?
  • IamFrench
    chosenone wrote: »

@IamFrench
    yeah im exactly the same. I have switched to 352 a few times midgame when I am struggling to break them down or if im behind and it almost always results in me making a breakthrough. How have you set up your defence? Do you have pacey CB and do you do any CT with your CMs/CDMs?

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

Biabiany replace Gameiro IG
    f128503942b48a752c62e2f3ce2304c7.png

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.
  • chosenone

@IamFrench

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.

wow thanks! I will try it out. I have untradeable Mertens so might use him up front.
  • IamFrench wrote: »

I used that formation and I was doing ok ( I’m not good) but latey I came against those 66 rating/ 66 chemistry teams that play 4-4-2 and I just can’t score more than 1 or 2 goals. Any suggestion to break those ?
  • mdizzl3
    12439 posts Has That Special Something
    3412 is most effective for me.
  • Nic_Cage_in_Con_Air
    976 posts Professional
    edited February 2018
    I was using the plain old, high pressure 4312 (with Boras’ CT’s) since the game came out. Never had an issue attacking with that setup & 1-2’s plus fake shots work like butter vs AI defense. Would always have my two strikers each average 3 goals + assists per match, & my CAM at least 2.

I’ve since switched to the 4411, & although I’m dominating online with it considerably moreso than the 4312, I’m struggling to get high scoring games in SB’s. Still win all my SB games, granted, but I’m averaging half of the shots I used to per game. Finding it way harder to break down the AI bus, & get clear shots off.

For reference, always on legendary, & average 2500 points at least every match. Usually lose 1 game at best each week & play until I secure Elite 2.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    I get on well with a 41212 wide... the bonus is that the RM and LM make the goalie kick any goal kicks down the middle... can't tell you how many goals I score with a header of that and then a quick 1-2
  • pudgyfudgy
    6185 posts Big Money Move
    352 hands down.

3 attackers + 2 wingers + 1 of the CDMs instructed to get forward = goals goals goals.

AI's wingplay is super predictable so you don't have to be too concerned about your lack of fullbacks. Just put the slowest CB in the middle and quicker ones on the sides.
  • 4222 is the best. Yesterday 46th place in top 100. I have to play my games for today, but legendary seems more difficult since yesterday.
  • SJR440
    8911 posts League Winner

@IamFrench

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.

@IamFrench What does your full team look like man? Do you think an expensive team matters for Squad Battles on Legendary?
  • Safehands84
    4121 posts National Call-Up
    I found 4321 with over lapping full backs the best. I tend to play with formation I’m using online at the time though to practice so rarely use it now
  • chosenone
    someones been digging on the forums lol. I opened this post in October!

I ended up playing less and now barely play a game after the updates ruined the gameplay. Once they changed the passing it became too frustrating because of the delay too yet the AI isn't affected and has the extra superpowers.

352 was working well for me though. I think I only managed to give it a go properly just the once with 352 and I ended up missing out on top100 by a little midway so I backed off. the other times I didn't get to play all my games.
  • IamFrench
    SJR440 wrote: »

@IamFrench

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.

@IamFrench What does your full team look like man? Do you think an expensive team matters for Squad Battles on Legendary?

Sorry, I stopped playing this game...
  • Tooner9
    413 posts Sunday League Hero
    As per title, does anyone feel there are certain formations which work better against teams in WC/Legendary/Ultimate in squad battles? I am currently using 433(3) as its good for possession play which you need against the AI and its solid against their random quick passes but I sometimes find it difficult to break them down when the gameplay becomes slow and sluggish.

I know it matters on your playing style and the opponent's formation etc but im just trying to see if there is a general trend.

I have gone to 3ATB in some games and that seems to help me out a bit but I have to make sure its not a good attacking team and I have wing backs at CB to deal with the pace.

Like in football certain formations work better against others, ad recommend trying different formations and taking note which worked best for u then check b4 u play that team and know which 1 was effective for you, more fun playing with different styles
  • Tooner9

@IamFrench

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.

wow thanks! I will try it out. I have untradeable Mertens so might use him up front.

Did this get you into top 100??
  • Tooner9
    Has anyone on here got into the top 100 with a non icon or full IF team and if so whats your team? Am always just short by 5 thou or so mainly cos am not quite gd enough, dont know or use enough skill moves, team decent but not as gd as alot of ppls and can't stop enough or the spells where the computer goes unbelievable, am guessing with icons or top top players it feels alot easier like when get better team in career mode?
  • chosenone
    Tooner9 wrote: »

@IamFrench

DNLGXfzWAAAzFyi.jpg

No Instruction
    CT:
    Org
    Free form

Biabiany is awesome.

Did this get you into top 100??

I didn't get to play much after this. I had one good shot where I was around 300 points off but then missed a game so left it there. Recently, I've stopped playing especially since the patches.