Film & Book Discussion

Comments

• Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    What do like of DiCaprio's? I like him personally but off the top of my head can't think of any films he's done that would lead me to label him as my favourite actor. Seems more of a heartthrob.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    366 Days of Movies #6 - SE7EN (1995)
    The longer I watched this film, the more annoyed I became with myself for waiting so long for watching this movie. This is the one of the best, if not the best, crime / drama / murder mystery film of all time. David Fincher is brilliant once again. Also, the 'sloth' scene was one of the most harrowing piece of cinema I have ever seen.
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    What do like of DiCaprio's? I like him personally but off the top of my head can't think of any films he's done that would lead me to label him as my favourite actor. Seems more of a heartthrob.
    It always seems to me that DiCaprio is mostly doing a 'good job' in 'good' movies. A quintessential DiCaprio movie is one dominated by a powerful cast and/or heavyhanded plot.
  • Chris
    Shutter Island, Gilbert Grape, Blood Diamond off the top of my head
  • Chubbs
    14461 posts Has That Special Something
    Probably Denzel for me.
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    Speaking of DiCaprio, watched Inception again last night. Saw it a few years ago but I never really gave it my full attention, so I thought I should give it a proper shot.

It's good but not in the same class as The Prestige or Memento.
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    edited January 2016
    Wanted to watch a light film earlier, but ended up watching Gardens of the Night. Was actually quite good, but with the plot they had it could have been so much better.
  • Chris
    SC1967 wrote: »
    Speaking of DiCaprio, watched Inception again last night. Saw it a few years ago but I never really gave it my full attention, so I thought I should give it a proper shot.

It's good but not in the same class as The Prestige or Memento.
    Inception is one of those films which tries to hard to be epic
  • Chris
    366 Days of Movies #7 - Gravity (2013)
    This film is essentially watching Sandra Bullock almost die for 90 minutes in a stunning environment. Seriously though, the VFX in this film are probably the greatest I have ever seen in a movie to date, and it made the film much more enjoyable to watch. I'm surprised I waited over two years to watch this film but it was worth the wait. Very enjoyable.

• CFCsjmishra
    8935 posts League Winner

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    I'll be livid if Brooklyn doesn't win all the Oscars, wonderful film. Ronan is just fantastic.
  • stickey

Also @Ryan
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Looks good, but I've made the mistake of judging horrors by it's trailer far too many times. Still looking forward to it mind, really enjoyed the first.
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    Well Moonrise Kingdom was a bit of a let down.

As much as I love The Grand Budapest Hotel, I'm not sure about Wes Anderson.
  • Chris
    366 Days of Movies #8 - Inside Out (2015)
    You've seen what would happen if toys had feelings... You've seen what would happen if fish had feelings... Now Pixar presents, what would happen if feelings had feelings!

Jokes a-side this is a pretty decent film. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I was younger when I watched this for the first time, but still decent. I don't think it's going to be a classic like Toy Story, Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc, but still good none-the-less.

• Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Inside Out is the best Pixar film ever for me, only Toy Story even comes close.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Wall-E is the best for me, but I haven't seen Inside Out yet
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    edited January 2016
    Haven't ever got round to rewatching Wall-E. Going to have to soon, because I really don't remember it that much.
  • Bob Loblaw
    11247 posts Has That Special Something
    Inside Out is top tier pixar.

I think Up is the most over rated pixar, apart from the opening with the old guy and woman there isn't much going on.

• Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    edited January 2016
    Ash wrote: »
    Wall-E is the best for me, but I haven't seen Inside Out yet

Wall-E is my favourite too. Amazing film
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Bob Loblaw wrote: »
    I think Up is the most over rated pixar, apart from the opening with the old guy and woman there isn't much going on.

Totally agree. The opening is superb, but the rest is just pretty much average.

• Nem
    5901 posts Big Money Move
    stickey wrote: »

Also @Ryan

Hope it's better than Insidious 3 and Annabelle @stickey
  • Chris
    Will post about yesterday's film soon, was at my girlfriends place and couldn't get on the forums lol, but we watched a film so it's all good
  • Chris
    366 Days of Movies #9 - Amelie (2001)
    I can't stand this film. I get why it's classed as one of the greats of art cinema, but I just plain hate this movie. Art films in general just try to hard to be edgy, be different, and sometimes I can enjoy them, but not this one, not this crock of ****.

I watched this film years ago as part of 'Film, TV and New Media' course back at college a few years ago and it was awful, but yesterday the girlfriend said she wanted to watch it, which meant I had to watch it. **** this film.

• Chris
    366 Days of Movies #10 - Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Ah man I love this film, really one of the best Marvel films since they launched the new MCU years ago. Brilliant mix of comedy, action, serious and emotional segments, which all just add to a film which was awesome. I'm gutted I never got to see this in the cinemas but still, a very awesome film, which I never tire of watching.

I'd love it if in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, they explored Peter Quill's backstory a bit more and show how he transitioned from the boy at the start of the film into the outlaw he became, and the maybe even show the back story of the kick-**** mask.

• Low Ki
    11819 posts Has That Special Something
    Angus Scrimm aka the Tall Man from Coscarelli's Phantasm movie series passed away at 89.
  • stickey
    edited January 2016
    Keeping one eye on the Golden Globes, Wolf Hall ahead of Fargo?

I know not film or book really but like keeping the award discussion in one
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wolf Hall was very good but that one really did surprise me.

Disappointed David Lang didn't win for best original song but you have to take awards, and the golden globes in particular, with a pinch of salt.
  • Chris
    edited January 2016
    366 Days of Movies #11 - Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
    Decided today that I would re-watch possibly my favorite indie movie. I absolutely love this film, and the quirkiness of it all, it all just works well to form a great story. Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly do a great job on a relatively small budget compared to modern films, and create a beautiful and weird comedy / drama / romance / sci-fi flick.
    The fact that Jeff and Liz didn't end up together bothered me though, would of been a nice moment at the end to see them re-connect again or something, I don't know.