Film & Book Discussion

Comments

• Nem
    5902 posts Big Money Move
    Got Straight outta Compton to give a watch at some point this week. Not sure what to expect from it, other than it being about NWA.

Gave The Martian a watch over the weekend. Well worth the wait.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    I prefer 3 to 2, and 1 to 3. I'll be re-watching 3 tomorrow anyway
  • Nem
    5902 posts Big Money Move
    On books, currently reading through TSF Access all areas, and once finished with that I'll crack on with the Arsene Wenger book by John Cross.

Anyone read the latest Fergie autobiography? I've still got the one that was released a couple of years back, and wondering if there's enough new material to warrant buying the latest.
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Not particularly a fan of Toy Story 3 or 2. 3 is saved by a few great moments and 2 doesn't really have any moments I care about. The original is superb though, and rather close to being perfect.
  • JGomes
    5283 posts Big Money Move
    Chris wrote: »
    366 Days of Movies #1 - Die Hard (1988)
    Great film, really fun and easy to watch. Alan Rickman was brilliant as Hans, although it was painful watching how dumb the police operators were, and how dumb some of the terrorists were too.

Alan Rickman's first movie iirc, the guy is amazing.

Anyone watched 8ful 8 or that new Di Caprio movie? Heard it was just hype
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Really good sociopolitical film set around the conflict between FLN and the French army in Algiers in the 50's, during Algeria's fight for independence from France - and the whole thing's on youtube. It has increased relevance nowadays.

I guess you could call it a docu-drama.

Ended up with three oscar nominations, which is impressive for a foreign film. Probably your type of thing actually @Wardhiigley

• Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yeah that's one of the best foreign language films ever so it's easily the best Algerian based film made. I find concept of guerrilla warfare very interesting so that was a particularly excellent film.

Chronicle of the Years of Fire and Z (in particular) are also good Algerian political films.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yeah I loved Z, was thinking about it often throughout actually.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 2016
    It definitely resembles it most closely. Other than being Algerian, Chronicle of the Years of Fire is very different. Infinitely more Arab/bedouin. I liked it but I'm probably pretty biased. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as critical acclaimed as the other two.

The Little Soldier is another good one. Totally French, not Algerian but it does deal with the Algerian war.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    I hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned it. It did win the Palme d'Or, albeit in a relatively weak lineup by Cannes standards.
  • Wardhiigley
    1974 posts Play-Off Hero
    looking that up and I just learnt Scorsese did a comedy-drama film called Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore that seemed to go down pretty well.
  • Niall
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    I really liked Frost/Nixon.
  • Chris
    edited January 2016
    366 Days of Movies #5 - Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Straight up, I'm not afraid to admit it, this is the only film I have ever watched, that has brought me to tears. I won't say which part so there's no spoilers, but yeah, you can probably work out which part it was anyway. Great movie overall, made me feel a bit younger again.
  • Chris
    hands.gif
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Only movie that you have cried at? Christ, I must have cried at least 10.
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    Ryan wrote: »
    Only movie that you have cried at? Christ, I must have cried at least 10.
    Only 10?
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Probably more, can't really think of a lot of them at the minute. Don't particularly watch upsetting films that often, and don't count tearing up as crying either.
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    Watched The Prestige last night, finally.

Another cracker from Nolan.
  • Chris
    SC1967 wrote: »

Great film, took a few turns I wasn't expecting
  • SC1967

Too right.

The last 20 odd minutes were sublime.
  • Chris

Too right.

The big reveal of two Christian Bale's, and the lengths they went too in order to hide it was awesome. Fantastic writing.
  • SC1967

Too right.

The big reveal of two Christian Bale's, and the lengths they went too in order to hide it was awesome. Fantastic writing.

Yeah that was genius. Never saw that coming at all.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Who's everyones personal favourite actor of all time?

Gotta be De Niro for me. His resume of films and performances is hugely impressive. Big fan of all his films and most of his performances
  • Torres4Lif3
    6657 posts Big Money Move
    Shane wrote: »

Gotta be De Niro for me. His resume of films and performances is hugely impressive. Big fan of all his films and most of his performances

female: Zoe Saldana, Chyler Leigh
    male: Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell
  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    edited January 2016
    Just watched The Gift and was pleasantly surprised. Expected it to be average at best, but it was actually rather enjoyable.

Not sure who I'd pick between Cary Grant and James Stewart as my favourite actor. Would probably lean more towards Stewart due to preferring some of the films he was in.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move

Probably De Niro for me as well
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    I count down the days until De Niro's next outing, Dirty Grandpa.
  • SC1967

Tough one.

Feel like I haven't seen enough of De Niro, Hanks, DDL to put them in my top 5, however the times i have seen them they have been terrific.

Probably Michael Fassbender.
  • SC1967
    Ryan wrote: »
    Just watched The Gift and was pleasantly surprised. Expected it to be average at best, but it was actually rather enjoyable.

Not sure who I'd pick between Cary Grant and James Stewart as my favourite actor. Would probably lean more towards Stewart due to preferring some of the films he was in.

Yeah that film was good. Joel Edgerton is fantastic.
  • Chris
    Leonardo DiCaprio or Christian Bale for me