Film & Book Discussion

Comments

  • Ryan
    9476 posts League Winner
    Chris wrote: »
    Ash wrote: »
    You've made yourself look like a right **** tbh lad

    Cool

    Still though, Mean Girls and Heathers, any more?

    Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    Enjoyed Steve Jobs. Could have made him look like a bigger ****, mind. Very good performance from Fassbender.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2015
    Been rewatching lots of my favourite films and out of boredom decided to do a top 10:

    1. The Godfather 1 and 2 (counting them as one)
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    3. Taxi Driver
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Schindler's List
    6. Inception
    7. Raging Bull
    8.Apocalypse Now
    9. Goodfellas
    10. Alien

    Honourable mentions: The Dark Knight, A clockwork orange, the seventh seal, There will be blood, Django unchained, Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, Aliens
    Post edited by Shane on
  • dannyboy
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    stickey wrote: »
    Enjoyed Steve Jobs. Could have made him look like a bigger ****, mind. Very good performance from Fassbender.

    I thought he was a proper ***** in the film tbh.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    Shane wrote: »
    Been rewatching lots of my favourite films and out of boredom decided to do a top 10:

    1. The Godfather 1 and 2 (counting them as one)
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    3. Taxi Driver
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Schindler's List
    6. Inception
    7. Raging Bull
    8.Apocalypse Now
    9. Goodfellas
    10. Alien

    Honourable mentions: A clockwork orange, the seventh seal, There will be blood, Django unchained, Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, Aliens

    No Fight Club?
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Chris wrote: »
    Shane wrote: »
    Been rewatching lots of my favourite films and out of boredom decided to do a top 10:

    1. The Godfather 1 and 2 (counting them as one)
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    3. Taxi Driver
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Schindler's List
    6. Inception
    7. Raging Bull
    8.Apocalypse Now
    9. Goodfellas
    10. Alien

    Honourable mentions: A clockwork orange, the seventh seal, There will be blood, Django unchained, Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, Aliens

    No Fight Club?

    Good film but don't love it as much as some do :p
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2015
    What do you guys think of 2001: A Space Odyssey? Rewatched it yesterday and was blown away yet again. The visuals, the soundtrack (one of the greatest in cinematic history), the philosophical themes explored and just the sheer innovative nature of the film make it one of my favourite films. It's like an experience... It's pretty surreal.

    Searched around for some reviews on the Internet and seems like it's a love/hate film. Some people think it's pretentious, pointless, too "artsy" and boring.

    I disagree but I can see why some people may think that way. It requires patience and is pretty long/abstract. I'm into philosophy, space and science and **** so I enjoyed it and think it's generally a masterpiece. I was never once bored, I was totally in a trance like feeling from start to finish.
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    Shane wrote: »
    What do you guys think of 2001: A Space Odyssey? Rewatched it yesterday and was blown away yet again. The visuals, the soundtrack (one of the greatest in cinematic history), the philosophical themes explored and just the sheer innovative nature of the film make it one of my favourite films. It's like an experience... It's pretty surreal.

    Searched around for some reviews on the Internet and seems like it's a love/hate film. Some people think it's pretentious, pointless, too "artsy" and boring.

    I disagree but I can see why some people may think that way. It requires patience and is pretty long/abstract. I'm into philosophy, space and science and **** so I enjoyed it and think it's generally a masterpiece. I was never once bored, I was totally in a trance like feeling from start to finish.

    It's on my list of films to watch, just never got round to it.

    That has alarm bells ringing right away. I know everyone is different but there's nothing worse than films trying to be too out there and philosophical for the sake of it.
  • dannyboy
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    dannyboy wrote: »
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.

    :D
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    dannyboy wrote: »
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.
    :sweat_smile:
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    dannyboy wrote: »
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.

    :D
  • SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    dannyboy wrote: »
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.

    ...
  • Bob Loblaw
    11247 posts Has That Special Something
    dannyboy wrote: »
    That's why I only watch superhero movies.

    Zkv6Gt4.gif
  • Low Ki
    11852 posts Has That Special Something
    Just saw Concussion. Had a solid grasp of the subject matter which is currently a hot topic, but I feel it focused too much on that by being preachy and not the character substance a film needs to be compelling. Was pretty average in the end.
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    The Big Short is a fantastic film.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    First film of 2016 will be die hard I reckon
  • dannyboy
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    Going to watch Gone with the Wind imo.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Going to watch Gone with the Wind imo.

    I'll be looking at the films you watch for ideas I reckon

    I'll probably run out of inspiration for watching movies around start of feb so I'll need suggestions
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    I'm gunna start with die hard, then move onto the 2015 releases I haven't seen, like scicaro and Everest and creed
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    edited December 2015
    Watched Interstellar last night. Love it visually and the plot is okay but the ending sequence takes away from it imo. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is miles better. Has a lot of unique philosophical/scientific ideas and is more engaging and a more surreal experience with equally amazing and unique visuals. Interstellar is a bit cheesy at times

    Interstellar has nowhere near as much substance. Still a very good film though. I loved watching it in the cinema when it was newly released.

    Favourite space films:

    1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. Alien/Aliens
    3. Solaris
    4. Moon
    5. Gravity
    6. Interstellar
  • Low Ki
    11852 posts Has That Special Something
    Just saw Attack The Block. Really fun John Boyega movie.
  • Torres4Lif3
    6657 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2015
    Shane wrote: »
    Watched Interstellar last night. Love it visually and the plot is okay but the ending sequence takes away from it imo. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is miles better. Has a lot of unique philosophical/scientific ideas and is more engaging and a more surreal experience with equally amazing and unique visuals. Interstellar is a bit cheesy at times

    Interstellar has nowhere near as much substance. Still a very good film though. I loved watching it in the cinema when it was newly released.

    Favourite space films:

    1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. Alien/Aliens
    3. Solaris
    4. Moon
    5. Gravity
    6. Interstellar

    Interstellar was great imo. btw. I'm missing you old Profil Pic :(
  • Bob Loblaw
    11247 posts Has That Special Something
    Anomalisa has leaked to those certain websites. I really want to wait and watch it in the theatre but it's not out in the UK till **** March, ridiculous
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2016
    366 Days of Movies #1 - Die Hard (1988)
    Great film, really fun and easy to watch. Alan Rickman was brilliant as Hans, although it was painful watching how dumb the police operators were, and how dumb some of the terrorists were too.
    Post edited by Chris on
  • dannyboy
    12856 posts Has That Special Something
    dannyboy wrote: »
    Going to watch Gone with the Wind imo.

    Good film.
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    Shootout scene in Heat is probably the greatest ever. Fantastic film too.
  • Torres4Lif3
    6657 posts Big Money Move
    Takers - The Finale Job really nice Action Film. Can definitely recommend it.
  • Low Ki
    11852 posts Has That Special Something
    stickey wrote: »
    Shootout scene in Heat is probably the greatest ever. Fantastic film too.

    Face Off had better ones. I think any John Woo shootout is epic.
  • Chris
    5401 posts Big Money Move
    366 Days of Movies #2 - Kings Of Summer (2013)
    Decided to watch 'Kings of Summer' today, which is this indie coming of age film if you haven't heard of it. It was surprisingly good, pretty funny, and decent acting - would recommend.
Sign In or Register to comment.