Film & Book Discussion

Daniel
1755 posts Play-Off Hero
A discussion thread for books and films.

Key sites:
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Comments

• dannyboy
    12831 posts Has That Special Something
    Looking forward to Child 44. Has anyone read the book?
  • Niall
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    Going to start Slaughterhouse 5 whenever I get time.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Niall wrote: »

It was a totally unnecessary sequel, imo. Kurt Vonnegut should have ended the series at Slaughterhouse 4.

• Niall
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015

It was a totally unnecessary sequel, imo. Kurt Vonnegut should have ended the series at Slaughterhouse 4.
    Oh, I've largely heard positive views on it. I was lent it anyway so I'll try it.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    dannyboy wrote: »
    I haven't, but the premise interests me a lot. I'm guessing it's worth a read?

I'm finding the cast for the film slightly off-putting. I'm really not fond of any of them, and as a group it looks a bit gimmicky and obvious. I think I'll watch it nonetheless, just not in cinema.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    Going to see Furious 7 tonight. can't wait.
  • Finally got round to watching Interstellar last night. The twists kind of messed with my head, wasn't expecting them in the slightest. Great film imo.
  • Shaanxz
    20633 posts Club Captain
    New fast and furious was poor, nice homage to Paul walker at the end
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    Does anyone here read football books? I've a decent enough collection.

Reading 'Tor!' at the moment, very good book.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    I read Graham Hunter's 'Barca: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World'. Didn't enjoy it at all so that put me off non-fiction, but I've got Bergkamp's autobiography and I've enough of an interest in him to start it at some point. Just got too many other books to get through to see that happening this year.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    by football books if you mean autobiography's then sure. read pirlo, zlatan and ramos.
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2015
    Can't say I'm much into (auto)biographies myself, the only one I really enjoyed was Jonathan Wilson's 'Brian Clough: Nobody Ever Says Thank You'. Have read three Gerrard ones (mind one of them was basically a crap picture book), a Ronnie Whelan one and Zlatan's one. They were alright but not something I could read again.

Loved 'Fear and Loathing in La Liga' for example. 'Inverting the Pyramid' was quite good too. 'Calcio' was a bit long winded but got there in the end, worth it. 'Italian Job' by Vialli and Marcotti was superb as well.

Have a couple of books ready when I finish off Tor. Tried reading 'Teambuilding' by Rinus Michels during the summer but stopped and moved on to another book. Got given 'Danish Dynamite' for my birthday, looking forward to reading that. 'Anatomy of Liverpool' is in the pile too, again by the superb Jonathan Wilson. Can't wait to get stuck in to them once I'm a bit more settled.

Couple copies of 'the Blizzard' too. They aren't really books but they're magic.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    Tor seems like a cool book.

you look like you read a lot of football books.

think I might read this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mourinho-Football-The-Beautiful-Game/dp/0755365534
    :lol:
  • dannyboy
    stickey wrote: »
    Does anyone here read football books? I've a decent enough collection.

Reading 'Tor!' at the moment, very good book.

Yeah, I have a decent collection, too. Most of them are biographies or autobiographies, though.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    Furious 7 was amazing.
    most my friends hated it though
  • Low Ki
    11811 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2015
    Chinny wrote: »
    Furious 7 was amazing.
    most my friends hated it though

Action was too cartoonish to take seriously for me. Not enough Rock either. When the action in Captain America 2 is more realistic than Fast & Furious 7 you know the movies got problems.

Jason Statham was fun though.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    that's exactly what everyone has been saying.
    guess everyone was just expecting different
  • dannyboy
    Daniel wrote: »

I'm finding the cast for the film slightly off-putting. I'm really not fond of any of them, and as a group it looks a bit gimmicky and obvious. I think I'll watch it nonetheless, just not in cinema.
    I haven't read it.

You don't like Oldman or Hardy?
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero

I haven't read it.

Honestly, I'm just getting bored of seeing them so often. It just feels like lazy casting based mostly on prospective revenue.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional

I haven't read it.

Honestly, I'm just getting bored of seeing them so often. It just feels like lazy casting based mostly on prospective revenue.

Hardy? He only made two films over the last two years and both were low budget dramas. Neither are big box-office draws anyway, not sure I understand this complaint at all.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited April 2015
    Hardy's very popular with young British viewers, mostly due to Nolan bringing him to a mass audience. Oldman is one of the highest grossing actors of all time, it feels like he's top of every casting directors list of actors when they're looking for a character to be played as dark and somewhat twisted, but also relatable.

It's not much of a complaint really, it's just projects like this don't really do much for me anymore. When I see the advertising on sites like reddit I sometimes feel like I've seen the film before. I'm not aware of the story anyway so hopefully it'll seem like a fresh and interesting drama and I'll be proved wrong.

This is also the fourth time Hardy and Oldman have starred alongside each other in four years. All separate bodies of work too.
  • dannyboy
    Any other upcoming films you're looking forward to watching? :)
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Steve Jobs (mostly for Fassbender), Ex Machina, True Story interests me but I'm not sure about Franco in that role, MacBeth has a great cast, obviously The Hateful Eight, Southpaw, Far From the Madding Crowd (Vinterberg's first since Jagten), The Revenant. There's a lot to look forward to actually.
  • Chinny
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    I saw the SouthPaw trailer at the movies yesterday. seems interesting. also Straight out ta Compton and Avengers
  • Chubbs
    14459 posts Has That Special Something
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    New fast and furious was poor, nice homage to Paul walker at the end

They have all been poor.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    The book case fifth dimension stuff in Interstellar brought out the 6-year-old in me. That type of stuff leaves me in awe. I know a lot of people disliked those elements of the film for reasons of plausibility, but the films is its own alternate reality. If Nolan decided that's possible in his film, that's up to him.

I need to watch Contact.
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move

:|

Nasty, snide comments aside, what did you/anyone think of S5? I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Tamerlane wrote: »

Nasty, snide comments aside, what did you/anyone think of S5? I honestly didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to.

I've actually only seen the film and that was during high school so my input is probably worthless. I've wanted to read it but I remember thinking the film was pretty weird so I never got around to it. Why didn't you enjoy it?
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    edited April 2015
    Tamerlane wrote: »

I've actually only seen the film and that was during high school so my input is probably worthless. I've wanted to read it but I remember thinking the film was pretty weird so I never got around to it. Why didn't you enjoy it?
    Just like the film, it was just too weird for me. I can deal with some absurdity, but it just felt heavy-handed and OTT to me. Especially when I compared it to the other satirical/comic novels from WWII (Catch-22 and Waugh's The Sword of Honour Trilogy) that I really enjoyed, it just didn't slice the cheddar.

• Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Have either of you read any Pratchett? I read Guards Guards last week and loved it. Few books have physically made me laugh, and it had that effect numerous times. I think I'm gonna continue with the City Watch sub-series, and also try Small Gods.

You can buy them second hand (they are slightly worn at worst) on Amazon for 1p, +£2.80 postage.

I bought Arthur C. Clarke's 'Chilhood's End' for the same price a few nights ago.