The Tennis Thread

Comments

• AaronMFC
    1562 posts Play-Off Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Nadal and Djokovic both have positive h2h records against federer its very easy to argue hes not the greatest.

I think what is easily forgotten here is that Federer is considerably older than both these guys. Their peak years overlapped but weren’t really the same.

With regards to Nadal - the guy is a freak on clay which has a significant impact on their head to head record.

But just watching them play - even at nearly 38 in Federer case - that’s the best style of tennis I’ve ever seen and that’s what makes him the greatest. I mean Ronnie O’Sullivan is the best snooker player that’s ever lived. He’s not won the most titles but it’s not really up for debate. Federer plays the best tennis and has won the most majors. History will have him down as the greatest and most people will agree - some will be wrong 😉

Its also easy to forget federers peak/early career he didnt have the competition of djokovic and nadal that really works both ways. Who was his greatest rival before them Roddick, Nalbandian? Just because you personally enjoy the style doesnt make it the best either i think its hard to say who the greatest is perhaps it is federer but it is not cut and dry.
  • Alex_cr
    4864 posts Big Money Move
    Nadal and Djokovic both have positive h2h records against federer its very easy to argue hes not the greatest.

I think what is easily forgotten here is that Federer is considerably older than both these guys. Their peak years overlapped but weren’t really the same.

With regards to Nadal - the guy is a freak on clay which has a significant impact on their head to head record.

But just watching them play - even at nearly 38 in Federer case - that’s the best style of tennis I’ve ever seen and that’s what makes him the greatest. I mean Ronnie O’Sullivan is the best snooker player that’s ever lived. He’s not won the most titles but it’s not really up for debate. Federer plays the best tennis and has won the most majors. History will have him down as the greatest and most people will agree - some will be wrong 😉

Its also easy to forget federers peak/early career he didnt have the competition of djokovic and nadal that really works both ways. Who was his greatest rival before them Roddick, Nalbandian? Just because you personally enjoy the style doesnt make it the best either i think its hard to say who the greatest is perhaps it is federer but it is not cut and dry.

I think it’s so cut and dry and I think that when it all comes to an end - and I really hope we get another couple of years of this yet - then it will be universally acknowledged.

But for now I’ll sit back and enjoy because We’ve been blessed to have these 3 at the same time and I’ll probably never see another rivalry like it in any sport I watch in my lifetime.
  • AaronMFC
    1562 posts Play-Off Hero
    That was incredible from Halep did not see a possibility of Serena getting beat so heavily in a grand slam final
  • Shaanxz
    20325 posts Club Captain
    I rate Novak ahead of Roger and rafa personally
  • Alex_cr
    Shaanxz wrote: »

Let’s assume for a second that Djokovic is human - and there’s nothing to suggest this will be the case at the moment, he might have 2 more years at the very top. If so he’s unlikely to match Federers major haul. I can’t put him at the top on that basis.
  • cmm_1991
    2106 posts Fans' Favourite

Let’s assume for a second that Djokovic is human - and there’s nothing to suggest this will be the case at the moment, he might have 2 more years at the very top. If so he’s unlikely to match Federers major haul. I can’t put him at the top on that basis.

Didn't you just say ronnie is regarded as the best snooker but not won the most ?
  • Shshj
    4053 posts National Call-Up
    Rafa's my favourite but Federer is the GOAT for me. He may be brilliant but I don't like Novak.
  • Alex_cr
    cmm_1991 wrote: »

Didn't you just say ronnie is regarded as the best snooker but not won the most ?

Yeah I’ve referenced this earlier. Not only is Federer the greatest statistically but also plays the best tennis so he’s got it entirely sewn up. I’m pointing out there wouldn’t be an argument in any context for Novak.
  • cmm_1991

Yeah I’ve referenced this earlier. Not only is Federer the greatest statistically but also plays the best tennis so he’s got it entirely sewn up. I’m pointing out there wouldn’t be an argument in any context for Novak.

Prime Novak was near impossible to beat , the way he moves is unbelievable, we can all agree that all 3 can beat each other and are so far ahead of the next best players

And shows how good Murray was when he gave them a good game
  • Alex_cr

Prime Novak was near impossible to beat , the way he moves is unbelievable, we can all agree that all 3 can beat each other and are so far ahead of the next best players

And shows how good Murray was when he gave them a good game

Murray was seriously unlucky to play in this era to be honest.
  • holdenwait
    55476 posts National Treasure
    great match so far as expected, going to 5th set most likely
  • holdenwait
    55476 posts National Treasure
    6 games won in all sets by Roger and he might still lose this , danggg
  • Shaanxz
    20325 posts Club Captain
    Roger bottling against Novak you love too see it
  • cmm_1991