The Tennis Thread

Comments

• dannyboy
    12805 posts Has That Special Something
    Best tournament in the world starting soon :)
  • Apollo
    14269 posts Has That Special Something
    Hope he somehow manages to make it to Wimbledon, he said that's what he wants to do if he can and it would be a fitting end to his career to finish there
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    If that’s his last match then that’s how to go out. Amazing match. What a player.
  • Apollo
    Alastair wrote: »
    If that’s his last match then that’s how to go out. Amazing match. What a player.

Couldn't agree more. Would be brilliant if he can make it to Wimbledon though.
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    Apollo wrote: »

If he did make it then I wonder how many days before the start of the Championships the queue would be full.
  • Apollo

If he did make it then I wonder how many days before the start of the Championships the queue would be full.

That's a good point :D Would be an unbelievable queue for tickets
  • Karlos
    24281 posts Club Captain
    Interviewer: "Congratulations on a great career."

Andy Murray: "Maybe I'll see you again."

Interviewer: "It might be over."

Andy Murray: "I might not be fin..."

Interviewer: "Here's a montage to celebrate your retirement."
  • dannyboy
    12805 posts Has That Special Something
    Good thing he's out, cba reading about him in every tennis article
  • Alastair
    10035 posts Moderator
    Think I've got a new favourite interviewer. :joy:

• Hicksy2011
    12878 posts Has That Special Something
    This is absolutely outrageous
  • AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    What a performance that was by Djokovic wonder if hes ready to give Nadal a challenge at the French Open would not bet against it, its been a breeze for Rafa the last couple of years be good to have this matchup there..
  • Karlos
    24281 posts Club Captain
  • Shaanxz
    20304 posts Club Captain
    The Madrid draw is outrageous, nadals side of the draw is dead
  • AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Had no idea Federer was playing Clay this year wonder if its cos it could be his last season.
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    Nadal vs Kyrgios today, should be brilliant
  • BrentfordFC
    11623 posts Has That Special Something

For all his antics he likes to make the crowd laugh. Brightens up the atmosphere with his foolish serves he does underarm :lol:
  • Shshj
    3995 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 12
    Was rooting for Rafa but there's a reason why Federer is the greatest of all time.

Will certainly be in his camp on Sunday.
  • cmm_1991
    2104 posts Fans' Favourite
    Shshj wrote: »
    Was rooting for Rafa but there's a reason why Federer is the greatest of all time.

Rafa is the GOAT in my eyes
  • Shaanxz
    20304 posts Club Captain
    Gonna be glorious when Novak beats roger in straight sets
  • Alex_cr
    4796 posts National Call-Up
    cmm_1991 wrote: »
    Shshj wrote: »

Rafa is the GOAT in my eyes

It’s all but impossible to argue on pure ability alone that anyone other than Federer is the greatest
  • cmm_1991
    2104 posts Fans' Favourite
    Prime nadal beats prime fed
  • Alex_cr

I’m sure you know this really but it’s all surface dependent. On clay he would. Any other surface and I’d back Federer.
  • RR_A10
    433 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »

I’m sure you know this really but it’s all surface dependent. On clay he would. Any other surface and I’d back Federer.

Federer in the 2008 Wimbledon final was in his prime and was beaten by a young Nadal on his favourite surface. Federer has never beaten Nadal on clay in the French Open.

• Alex_cr
    RR_A10 wrote: »

Federer in the 2008 Wimbledon final was in his prime and was beaten by a young Nadal on his favourite surface. Federer has never beaten Nadal on clay in the French Open.

Yeah I’m probably not going to base 2 highly distinguished careers on one game. We all know Nadal is far superior than anyone on clay.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but basically if you think that the most talented and successful tennis player ever is anyone else than Federer - well you’re wrong.
  • RR_A10
    433 posts Sunday League Hero
    RR_A10 wrote: »

Yeah I’m probably not going to base 2 highly distinguished careers on one game. We all know Nadal is far superior than anyone on clay.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but basically if you think that the most talented and successful tennis player ever is anyone else than Federer - well you’re wrong.

You shouldn’t make assumptions about who I think is the greatest. Based on current stats and longevity It has to be Federer. Although, he is the oldest at 37!! A few years ahead, he’s made the most ATP tour finals and has the most grand slams CURRENTLY.

I’m simply stating facts. Prime vs prime - who would win? You have a full calendar year with both in their prime. Nadal wins most of the matches imo but again that’s just my opinion. I won’t say who’s right or wrong. Let’s just enjoy the two greats.

Another point is the top three along with Djokovic have thrashed each other and have also had epic encounters on tour. Best rivalries in sport. Let’s see who ends up being the greatest, these 3 including Federer don’t seem to be going away anytime soon. Which is great for us.

• AaronMFC
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nadal and Djokovic both have positive h2h records against federer its very easy to argue hes not the greatest.
  • Alex_cr
    AaronMFC wrote: »
    Nadal and Djokovic both have positive h2h records against federer its very easy to argue hes not the greatest.

I think what is easily forgotten here is that Federer is considerably older than both these guys. Their peak years overlapped but weren’t really the same.

With regards to Nadal - the guy is a freak on clay which has a significant impact on their head to head record.

But just watching them play - even at nearly 38 in Federer case - that’s the best style of tennis I’ve ever seen and that’s what makes him the greatest. I mean Ronnie O’Sullivan is the best snooker player that’s ever lived. He’s not won the most titles but it’s not really up for debate. Federer plays the best tennis and has won the most majors. History will have him down as the greatest and most people will agree - some will be wrong 😉
  • Alex_cr
    By the way - I should probably mention that my all time favourite player is Nadal. Just love the guys intensity and he just seems to love playing.

The way he runs to his chair when he’s won an important game - I don’t get how anyone dislikes him!