Weekend league is a great concept BUT

Reus
23600 posts Club Captain
edited October 2017
Is it not completely flawed

The whole point of it is to identify the best fifa players to qualify for the big tournaments that have monetary rewards

Is forcing these players to play 40 games in a short period really the best way to find out who is the best at the game, is it not just finding the best guys who have the best concentration not the most skill

Surely a proper divisional or week long system would enable the true cream to rise to the top

Obviously I'm not thinking of a bang average player like my self I'm thinking of the guys who truly put the hours in

If I was involved in it I would be looking at a two tier week long system, the lower tier is for anyone the higher tier can only be played by people who get a certain amount of wins in the lower tier

In the higher tier the best would play the best and the true cream would rise to the top and qualify for the big tournaments

Let's be honest people like gorilla and Kurt going 40-0 against scrubs like me and you guys proves zilch

Iv had several beers and this might he a load of crap but going forward I just don't see how WL in its current format is the best way of identifying who the best fifa players are

Comments

• Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    But there are only a handful of people as good as guys like Gorilla and Kurt anyways
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    WL kinda is the lower tier. The regionals the higher tier
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain
    Santiago wrote: »
    But there are only a handful of people as good as guys like Gorilla and Kurt anyways

They were just examples of top players I know of, really I am including anyone capable of consistently getting elite 1 or top 100
  • RadioShaq
    20212 posts Moderator
    I would prefer that method. I assume matchmaking would be to slow though. A lot have said they prefer it to be random so not sure it will ever change.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Reus wrote: »

They were just examples of top players I know of, really I am including anyone capable of consistently getting elite 1 or top 100

The same people would still top the list. Pretty sure
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I would prefer that method. I assume matchmaking would be to slow though. A lot have said they prefer it to be random so not sure it will ever change.

If it's separated between two tiers the matchmaking wouldn't matter

In the top tier you are only playing top tier players
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Of course it isn't, but nothing we say will make any difference so why bother
  • RadioShaq
    20212 posts Moderator
    I would assume the system tries for that but spreads out the longer you wait. Divisions was explained to work like that a long time ago but never said about wl.
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain

Having them play against each other regularly would help us find out
  • Blarix
    20871 posts Club Captain

Doesn't make much sense the same guys are always finishing with a record of 37+wins, would be impossible if they played each other more often. I faced a guy who was going for Elite when I had 16 wins, the match making is completely broken and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It is also unhealthy to squeeze in 40 games over 48 hours. They should do it like last weekend and make it permanent extension to Tues-Wednesday (even better).
  • DoD_Jester
    27291 posts Player of the Year
    I do think they're should be a slight change, still think the 4 days of quals is too long and the actual Fut Champs is too short

+ the stupid little things, ie getting more skill points for winning games on a Friday as opposed to winning on Sunday make no real sense

I'd much rather see it run continously from Monday to Sunday min 10 games to get a ranking then do actual rankings based on record-average score- skill points with no max games, the same was any other comp mode works
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain
    Blarix wrote: »

Doesn't make much sense the same guys are always finishing with a record of 37+wins, would be impossible if they played each other more often. I faced a guy who was going for Elite when I had 16 wins, the match making is completely broken and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It is also unhealthy to squeeze in 40 games over 48 hours. They should do it like last weekend and make it permanent extension to Tues-Wednesday (even better).

Being the best at beating your average fifa player and being the best at beating top players would surely be a better way to sort who is the best
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

Being the best at beating your average fifa player and being the best at beating top players would surely be a better way to sort who is the best

Which is why there are regionals..there they determine who the best is.
  • RadioShaq
    20212 posts Moderator
    I think he’s saying you couldn’t base the rewards purely on wins anymore if you matched pros against pros.
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain

Your completely missing the point

The current format isn't the best way of making sure the best players get to regionals

Beating someone like me 40 times doesn't mean you are good enough to get to regionals
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

The current format isn't the best way of making sure the best players get to regionals

Beating someone like me 40 times doesn't mean you are good enough to get to regionals

But in your idea it's the same since you have to qualify by getting a certain amount of wins in the lower tier?
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Do you honestly think EA cares about the 100 odd players that might be good enough to go to regionals more than the 100's of thousands that play WL every weekend?
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain

But in your idea it's the same since you have to qualify by getting a certain amount of wins in the lower tier?

Yes but to get to regionals you would have to dominate in the top tier which is only made of elite players
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    edited October 2017
    I don't know. Not against your idea but it seems unnecessary.

We have the WL (sure against average players) but then the top players face each other at the regionals and to determine the absolute number 1 there is a FIWC.

Seems enough to really determine the best player tbf. Don't think it would change much at all.
  • Currieman
    5043 posts Big Money Move
    There is so much talk of changing the WL that surely EA will listen eventually.

I don’t mind the current format but would definitely prefer 4 days to play the games instead of 3.
  • Silent Singer74
    711 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The wl would be a good idea if you didn't get kicked out half through games when you're winning like what's happened to me in 2 outta last 3 games. It's ridiculous....and breathe!!!!
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    I wonder if squad battles is a dummy run to Cut Champs working in a similar fashion
  • Libguy
    5380 posts Big Money Move
    Current system seems to be working as intended. You play enough games over enough weeks to smooth out the variance. The system would be broken if I went to regionals because I played 300+ games against D10 players who just picked up the game. The current system makes that pretty much a statistical impossibility.

Now, is it possible that the system failed to identify a few really good players because they got hit really hard by the variance stick and had to play much harder games than somebody like Gorilla? Sure, but that's not something you're going to completely eliminate with any other system.

Yeah, playing more games is always a good idea to figure out who is the best. But would people be a lot happier if they were playing 80 games over the week instead of 40 during the weekend?
  • WFCBagnall
    96697 posts Moderator
    Fut Champs should have been changed to a ladder based system, like Squad Battles but unlimited games.

Pros getting 40-0 against G2 scrubs like you said shows nothing. How often do you see them facing each other? Never. Because the matchmaking is absolutely ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

It should be that the more time you put into the game, the better rewards you get back, not force yourself to play 40 games in the space of 2/3 days to get a couple of 100k packs in return.
  • Libguy
    5380 posts Big Money Move
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Fut Champs should have been changed to a ladder based system, like Squad Battles but unlimited games.

Pros getting 40-0 against G2 scrubs like you said shows nothing. How often do you see them facing each other? Never. Because the matchmaking is absolutely ****.

It should be that the more time you put into the game, the better rewards you get back, not force yourself to play 40 games in the space of 2/3 days to get a couple of 100k packs in return.

Inception is always talking about something similar on his twitch stream. His argument is something along the lines of "I go 35-5 because I lose to a few people who suck because of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and if you had a week-long ladder system, then it wouldn't matter as much."

I don't really see how it would help him though. Say you had some sort of ELO ladder. He still loses to a guy who sucks and takes a huge hit to his ELO. Gorilla doesn't lose to those guys.

Yeah, if you play a bunch more games, then the occasional ❤️❤️❤️❤️ loss matters less. But then you get back to my other point: Are people going to be happier playing 80 games over a week?

I don't know. Maybe they would be.

And if you do away with the game limit, then it just sort of becomes who can play the most games and that probably tells you a lot less about who the better players are than the current system does.

• coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    I agree.

• Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain

We have the WL (sure against average players) but then the top players face each other at the regionals and to determine the absolute number 1 there is a FIWC.

Seems enough to really determine the best player tbf. Don't think it would change much at all.

It's like man city qualifying for the champions league by beating crystal palace 40 times

What does that prove?

They should have to play United, Chelsea, spurs, Liverpool etc to get there
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

It's like man city qualifying for the champions league by beating crystal palace 40 times

What does that prove?

But it's exactly the same in your lower tier?

To compare with your system:

Lower tier = WL
    Higher tier = Regionals
    Regionals = FIWC
    FIWC = /

I think 3 competitions is enough to determine the best player.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    And I get it. You could argue that maybe others will qualify if they actually play each other but if that was the case, the same people wouldn't top the list every single week.

At the end of the day everyone is playing average players.
  • Reus
    23600 posts Club Captain

What does that prove?

But it's exactly the same in your lower tier?

To compare with your system:

Lower tier = WL
    Higher tier = Regionals
    Regionals = FIWC
    FIWC = /

I think 3 competitions is enough to determine the best player.

The people in the lower tier are bang average and have zero hope of getting too regionals, these are the guys who struggle to qualify for WL in its current format

Anyone who is elite has qualified for the top tier and plays the top guys for better rewards

Are you genuinely saying you don't think the best should have to play each other to qualify for regionals?