Nightmare debuts...

PelzyWelzy
9180 posts League Winner
Ever had a player make a debut you'll never forgot - though ultimately for all the wrong reasons?

Sifting through my club earlier on realised I could complete the Kane POTM SBC for very little outlay. As someone who uses a traditional target man next to a smaller, more agile, striker figured what could I have to lose? 90k outlay for an 89 rated targetman with those stats.... it's a win win.

Fear the next 15 minutes of gameplay may have shaped my opinion of the player forever.

Sitting pretty comfortably in E2 of squad battles decided what better way to get to grips with a new player than smashing in a few goals on professional, getting those points I need just to make sure I don't drop rank in the next few hours.

Gabby Jesus scored four, prime ADP netted his 50th for the club, Prime Overmars even chipped in with two assists and a headed goal.

The Hurricane, on the other hand, had hit the post four times by the 48th minutes, seen countless tame efforts Gabby would have cooly slotted home saved, headed wide from six yards out twice and perhaps the worst of them all - in front of a completely, and I mean completely, open goal went to steer one in with him (literally easiest tap in I could care to have all year) and instead of finding the back of the net all but found the corner flag instead. That may sound like a bit of an exaggeration but it honestly isn't. The shot was that poor.

It got to the point where I was deliberately getting him and him alone in to sure goalscoring positions only for the guy to go fluff his lines completely time and time again. Every time I gave the ball to someone else they'd score, had to physically hold Jesus back from banging in eight or nine, but Kane was absolutely woeful. Fell over constantly, couldn't turn, even his passing felt off.

Finally bundled one in late on, Kane shinning in (whilst falling over no less) from a few yards out following yet another perfect cross in for him from the right.

So all's well that ends well. Kane got his goal.... I'm kind of reluctant to use him again though. He could turn out to be phenomenal, banging in goals left and right, more than a goal a game kind of thing but part of me is always going to remember this tragic debut and judge him on that alone.

In barely one game I've managed to completely ruin any future hope of enjoying this card :joy:

Anyone else suffered from something similar happening?

Comments

• Izzy2K17
    11698 posts Has That Special Something
    No i don’t jump to conclusions from just one game, I’ve had guys with great debuts and turn to **** afterwards, and some with terrible debut that turn out pretty good
  • PelzyWelzy
    9180 posts League Winner
    Izzy2K17 wrote: »
    No i don’t jump to conclusions from just one game, I’ve had guys with great debuts and turn to **** afterwards, and some with terrible debut that turn out pretty good

Yeah man, am going to try and remain completely objective about him... card has done so much damage against me i just can't see him turning out to be that bad of an investment.

It was just so, so bad.. hard to shake off images of him missing that empty net :joy:
  • VagisilFC
    1385 posts Professional
    Yeah I had a player I chucked in to get a couple of goals for a daily objective from a specific nation. Took me three games for him top grab a double.

First game other players always would run onto the pass before him, keeper would always save his shots it was hilarious. Second game He grabbed one but it was a real sweaty EA C U Next Tuesday special.....
  • Tonywattzeefuik
    1174 posts Professional
    I remember getting 91 pogba sent off within 5 mins of his first game last fifa turned out he was my favorite cm in the game so first games mean nothing
  • PelzyWelzy
    9180 posts League Winner
    I remember getting 91 pogba sent off within 5 mins of his first game last fifa turned out he was my favorite cm in the game so first games mean nothing

This gives me hope :joy: