OTW Yarmolenko (short review)

Jaymizzo
2383 posts Fans' Favourite
At first I got him as an investment as he is likely to get multiple informs if he doesn't get injured. Already doing well for Dortmund so it's only a matter of time.

For now, he isn't really doing well in my setup. Il sort of break down his key traits and why most people would go for him.

Dribbling
I saw a YouTuber give him quite a high rating on this. Talking of how smooth he is in dribbling and how his touch is amazing etc. Decided to focus on this aspect during the WL to see how he holds up...

To me he felt clunky, often times large players you would expect that (most have low dribbling) but he just feels off when I run with him. His dribbling style invites pressure, his movement and recovery is never fast enough. The L2-R2 dribbling also feels clunky with him.

I'm not the best at skill moves so this aspect of him is lost on me.

For me, his ball play isn't the best. Running with him or dribbling with him doesn't feel satisfactory, at best his dribbling stats feel like they are decorative. 5/10

Shooting
The video gave him a high rating in his shooting and I have to agree. Though I didn't enjoy using him on the ball, shots with him often ended up in the net. His left foot feels like a cheat.

I've finessed from random angles and managed to score some wonderful goals. His finishing is also excellent, on par with Belotti who I rate as the best cheap striker in the game. No complaints here and I'd honestly give him a 9/10.

He scores so many goals and gets into great attacking positions, really can't fault this.

Hold up/Link up
For those who enjoy the ping pong and cute flicks, he will serve you well. The video I saw highlighted this aspect of his. However, his strength is deceiving and he gets outmuscled quite easily.

He also falls over quite easily so that could be due to his low balance. 6/10 as in the right setting, some people can get a lot of joy from him.

Pace
Not really his best attribute nor one anyone should focus on. He doesn't feel like he is fast nor do I ever panic if someone breaks with him.

Biggest gripe is how he feels. His pace does not reflect his motion if that makes any sort of sense. I guess it's the same gripe people had with Lukaku last year.

6/10 as the pace is nothing to get hyped about.

Passing
This is heavily affected by his "avoids using weaker foot" trait. His left foot as I pointed out is really a cheat. It's not healthy. Passing with his left feels so good. The moment his other foot touches the ball, you get flashes of a Lukaku or a Walcott in real life. The touch of an Adam Johnson (if you get the joke)

Still, his passing is quite good. Nothing to complain about here.

7/10 as it is logically affected when using his weaker foot.

Positions
So I tried him at RW in a 433(5), 4321 (RF), 4312 (LST) and currently on the bench as a sub CAM

RW - I would give him a 7/10. Cutting inside and shooting with him is just ridiculous.

RF - He gets better the closer he is to goal and the less he needs to dribble past opponent's. He shined here but I hate the formation so didn't last more than 7 games, 4 were losses because this formation irritates me. (scored in all 7 nevertheless) 8/10

LST - this is where you start noticing most of his issues and start to appreciate some of his strengths. Scores for fun and longshots outside the box are almost guaranteed to be spectacular. As I spent most of my time using him here, my thoughts on him are heavily based on this. 8.5/10

CAM - all the benefits of him playing striker with very little of the downfalls. For some reason subbing him on at CAM has yielded the most fun gameplay with him. I don't notice his issues as much and his workrate seems perfect for the role.
Never had to use him to shield or for hold up play, nor did I dribble with him as much in this position.

9.5/10

Conclusion
All in all, don't feel at his current state, is worth over 60-80k. Only outstanding attribute is his shooting and positioning in game. Those who enjoy skilling will of course find use for him, but for those who are circumstantial with their skill moves, he isn't much to be hyped about.

Maybe one more IF could boost him up and make the 160k investment worth it, but he doesn't feel smooth at all. Will post a picture of the goals, games and assists later.

Comments

• Rulistening
    1990 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2017
    "the moment his other foot touches the ball, you get flashes of a Lukaku or a Walcott in real life. The touch of an Adam Johnson (if you get the joke)

Still, his passing is quite good. Nothing to complain about here."

I stopped reading your review at this point. Do you understand what the word complain means?
  • Jaymizzo
    "the moment his other foot touches the ball, you get flashes of a Lukaku or a Walcott in real life. The touch of an Adam Johnson (if you get the joke)

I stopped reading your review at this point. Do you understand what the word complain means?

Are you trying to start a silly argument?

Just to indulge... pointing out his weak foot being bad at passing a ball is not complaining. Outlining or critiquing is not complaining.

Still, thanks for the overreaction.
  • Rulistening
    1990 posts Fans' Favourite
    Jaymizzo wrote: »

Just to indulge... pointing out his weak foot being bad at passing a ball is not complaining. Outlining or critiquing is not complaining.

You literally complained about something then said you had no complaints how dense are you. No im not starting a silly argument im calling you an absolute cabbage
  • Jaymizzo
    Jaymizzo wrote: »

You literally complained about something then said you had no complaints how dense are you. No im not starting a silly argument im calling you an absolute cabbage

You don't seem to comprehend what complaining means nor what critiquing entails. You can continue frothing at the mouth if you like.

Ask yourself what difference your comment has made.