The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.
------------------
Note: The SBCs issue has been resolved, details posted on this thread in a tweet from FIFA Direct Communication.

Squad battles are a joke since recent AI changes

BiGFOOT_BiLL
67 posts Park Captain
I'm pretty sure AI scripting is more severe as the quality of my players has increased.

Before they made the goalkeepers/defenders better I was pushing for Elite 3, now I'd be lucky to be Gold 2 or Gold 1.
I'm seriously tempted to just stop playing FUT.

Comments

• blue9
    935 posts Professional
    Cool story bro...
  • shotgunpandav33
    145 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2017
    I'm pretty sure AI scripting is more severe as the quality of my players has increased.

Before they made the goalkeepers/defenders better I was pushing for Elite 3, now I'd be lucky to be Gold 2 or Gold 1.

Honestly grind it out for a while and it becomes easy, I did struggle on legendary but now win each game 4-0 or better the odd time I will concede from a corner or give away a pen but other than that they don't ever score.

A tip use a DM and don't press with you're defence and only use the DM to press the player with the ball and play short passes rather than long balls as the AI seem to be able to block 99% of long balls.

Also pass rather than run against the AI and just keep the ball moving till gaps appear and abuse them.

Adjust custom tactics to suit the AI play style.
  • joehuk
    3524 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2017
    I'm opposite Shotgunpanda,

This week I feel Soooo bloody cheated by the AI.

15 shots 10 on target 1 goal, they have 2 shots 2 on target 2 goals, Their keepers are outrageous mine catch catch I'm getting no FK's yet they're getting them constantly for imo 'GOOD' tackles, they're getting all rebounds, every tackle i make is going straight to their players, my passes are getting blocked NON stop.

just had a FK against me where my player doesn't even TOUCH their player.

my players do not feel as they do in normal matches, they're sluggish, slow it's painful to play

and i've acheived Elite 1 last 2 weeks so i'm not a poor player, but this week really struggling, think i've lost 4 so far this week, before i'd lose maybe 1 a week. (Legendary)
  • shotgunpandav33
    joehuk wrote: »
    I'm opposite Shotgunpanda,

This week I feel Soooo bloody cheated by the AI.

15 shots 10 on target 1 goal, they have 2 shots 2 on target 2 goals, Their keepers are outrageous mine catch catch I'm getting no FK's yet they're getting them constantly for imo 'GOOD' tackles, they're getting all rebounds, every tackle i make is going straight to their players, my passes are getting blocked NON stop.

just had a FK against me where my player doesn't even TOUCH their player.

I have noticed 1 game from the 4 is always a lot harder than the others even if on same level of difficulty, have no idea why this happens but it's became common that everyone knows this happens now.

Yes I can 100% agree fouls are given way way way more in SB matches I have no idea why. "Turn aggression Down in custom tactics" will reduce the fouls.

I get like 2 or 3 yellow cards a game and if my DM gets a yellow I will sub him off as more than likely he will get sent off as he does most of my tackling.

I wish you best of luck though and I promise you it will become easy once you get the hang of the AI over poweredness
  • xFATAL
    4892 posts Big Money Move
    You can really feel it now when your in for a tough match. AI players will be faster and hard to get off the ball. I Had a game where 60 pace Dost caught up to Jordy Alba from behind at full sprint.
  • Quinn87
    1898 posts Fans' Favourite

The reason your not getting elite anymore is quite simply because your not good enough... I'm not trying to be a **** or anything. But the standard of play is getting better, people are buying better teams and scoring more points... Your obviously not keeping up.
  • shotgunpandav33
    xFATAL wrote: »
    You can really feel it now when your in for a tough match. AI players will be faster and hard to get off the ball. I Had a game where 60 pace Dost caught up to Jordy Alba from behind at full sprint.

I have used players with plus 95 pace and acceleration being over taken by players with 60 pace and lower acceleration.

Yes it's rigged but we all come to accept that now and know from 4 games one is going to be much tougher than the other 3 due to scripting by EA.
  • Aegyr
    378 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just improve in the game, nothing changed for me, actually it feels better for me.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    You have to also realize that the teams you are playing in Squad Battles are getting better as your team is getting better. They are based on real people's teams.

I played a few this week that were obviously weekend league teams where there must have been bronze benching (Ronaldo, Messi up top but 84 rated team for instance). So get used to it... as the community's teams improve so will your squad battle opponents.
  • M4YON
    1026 posts Professional
    blue9 wrote: »
    Cool story bro...

Part of the problem...
  • shotgunpandav33
    edited October 2017
    D3ATHSQUAD wrote: »
    You have to also realize that the teams you are playing in Squad Battles are getting better as your team is getting better. They are based on real people's teams.

I played a few this week that were obviously weekend league teams where there must have been bronze benching (Ronaldo, Messi up top but 84 rated team for instance). So get used to it... as the community's teams improve so will your squad battle opponents.

I don't think this is true.

When I had a 77 rated team I was mainly getting teams above 84

Now I have an 85 rated team I seem to be getting 79 and lower

I think it's completely random also saying this the worst team out of the 4 could also be the best team due to the EA scripting on one of the teams from 4 being random also.
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain

Honestly grind it out for a while and it becomes easy, I did struggle on legendary but now win each game 4-0 or better the odd time I will concede from a corner or give away a pen but other than that they don't ever score.

A tip use a DM and don't press with you're defence and only use the DM to press the player with the ball and play short passes rather than long balls as the AI seem to be able to block 99% of long balls.

Also pass rather than run against the AI and just keep the ball moving till gaps appear and abuse them.

I'll keep that in mind, cheers man.
    Quinn87 wrote: »

The reason your not getting elite anymore is quite simply because your not good enough... I'm not trying to be a **** or anything. But the standard of play is getting better, people are buying better teams and scoring more points... Your obviously not keeping up.

The only thing that's throwing me off is that I have spent the coins on better players yet somehow the games have gotten tougher.
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    If these are based on real squads there's some messed up dudes in fifa world
  • chosenone
    2324 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2017
    im finding it so hard. my passes are extremely slow, sluggish players, no movement and shocking first touches, no pace but I grind it out for a 0-0 (had 4 magician saves go against me) until the 80th min 2 super quick passes strung together and the strikers away and my 89 pace LB can't catch up the 78 pace forward. 1-0 loss. 3 in a row. going back to world class or professional isn't any better,
  • silverdale10
    1460 posts Play-Off Hero
    If people here are all telling the truth then almost everybody is ranking at least Elite 3, yet only 9% of players achieve that, so Gold 1 isn't too bad. And bear in mind that a significant percentage of the people beating Legendary 5-0 regularly will probably be doing so with expensive cards.
  • Liam W
    2623 posts Fans' Favourite
    I haven't noticed any difference since the patch in squad battles. My advice for people is to accept that you cannot defend against the AI on legendary very well. The AI can score at any times with a channel through ball or sometimes just an irresistible tiki-taka goal.

I always play high pressure in the hope I can force them into a riskier long pass. Once they get the ball in your third it is very hard to get it back. Luckily the AI seems to make a habit of shooting from wide positions rather than make a better chance.

Your best form of defence is to keep a lot of the ball - they can't score if you have it. I find the best way to score goals is from late runs from your wingers when the AI defence has pinched, allowing you to score across the goalkeeper. I use 4-5-1 for this purpose and string together some quick passes to get the ball from one side to the other to force and exploit the pinch.
  • Bluemoon2393
    148 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Squad battles are always going to be harder than playing team of the week as EA are judging your performance with squad battles to make it harder to earn rewards (For Example Gold 2)

I think to improve it you should get a bonus if you keep a clean sheet let's say 100-200 pts on professional as you are judged for scoring goals (Fair enough but Clean sheets are just as important) and also skill level could be more consistent when you play against different rated squads and also the amount off chances created e.g shots like 10 pts per shot and a 5 bonus for being on target.
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    Just did a Professional game against an average team with okay but not perfect chemistry.

They scored an unbelievable goal from outside the box in the first 5 minutes, then the defenders successfully blocked every single shot I tried to take bar one or two.
    I'm now convinced squad battles is rigged against you, I'm just going to stick to semi-pro and Gold 2 or 3 from this point onwards.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    edited October 2017

I feel the same way. It has been awful since the patch

One of the things I hate most since the patch is in the final third my passing has become so erratic. My players keep passing straight to the CPU in the wrong direction even though I check on replay and I'm aiming right at my own player.

I also like how every CPU player can make superhuman tackles but almost never gets called for a foul even when they karate chop your players.
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1182 posts Professional
    JGCramp wrote: »

One of the things I hate most since the patch is in the final third my passing has become so erratic. My players keep passing straight to the CPU in the wrong direction even though I check on replay and I'm aiming right at my own player.

Correct I'm having the same problem with passing its all over the place at the moment also I've got something random happening to me sometimes when I'm not even pressing the sprint button and i recieve the ball sometimes my player will do some weird knock on with the ball even though I've not pressed anything. Ive checked my right stick to make sure theres nothing wrong with it im not sure what is happening but when it does happen i lose the ball because of it so it must be a glitch.

Also game speed is changing constantly from game to game in squad battles its just not fun to play right now.

• JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional

Correct I'm having the same problem with passing its all over the place at the moment also I've got something random happening to me sometimes when I'm not even pressing the sprint button and i recieve the ball sometimes my player will do some weird knock on with the ball even though I've not pressed anything. Ive checked my right stick to make sure theres nothing wrong with it im not sure what is happening but when it does happen i lose the ball because of it so it must be a glitch.

Also game speed is changing constantly from game to game in squad battles its just not fun to play right now.

Yes! I get those weird knocks, too. Something similar also happens when I try to shield the CPU. My player will always step to the side, exposing the ball so the CPU defender can just take it.
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1182 posts Professional

Yes! I get those weird knocks, too. Something similar also happens when I try to shield the CPU. My player will always step to the side, exposing the ball so the CPU defender can just take it.

Its a mess and yeah shielding is extremely hit and miss my mandzukic up front cannot shield the ball to save his life haha I've only just started having problems since thursday with squad battles but before then i didn't have a single problem.

If i can get a clip of that weird knock on glitch i will post it here soon but i know for a fact something has definately changed within the last few days.
  • Have to agree here. I've noticed massive change. Used to struggle against the higher rated and easily beat the lower but now every side pings the ball around like barca
  • BFC CLARETTRICK
    1182 posts Professional

Its a mess and yeah shielding is extremely hit and miss my mandzukic up front cannot shield the ball to save his life haha I've only just started having problems since thursday with squad battles but before then i didn't have a single problem.

If i can get a clip of that weird knock on glitch i will post it here soon but i know for a fact something has definately changed within the last few days.

Here we go when parolo gets the ball at 22 seconds it just happened online just then this is messing me up in squad battles it happens on random occasions.

• BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain

I also like how every CPU player can make superhuman tackles but almost never gets called for a foul even when they karate chop your players.

The AI (on professional) are godlike with their tackling when I'm in the final 3rd now, their tackling is pretty good in the other 2 thirds as well though. :D
    I've also noticed that they seem to get away with fouling in comparison to my players.

I'm not exactly sure what changed with this new patch I just know that I really dislike the changes.
  • Marsu90
    15 posts Ball Boy
    Don't forget the ref blocking passes only in favor of the AI, bronze players who can dribble like Neymar and turn away from all of your tackles on a dime at full sprint, your easy lay off A/X-passes turning into the softest Y/triangle passes straight into defenders, AI defenders who can pull moves you can't do in your wildest dreams (catch the ball through your legs from behind, rush through you and dribble the ball at full speed in one fluid motion), bronze players shooting between 3-4 players and past your goalie, shots straight down the middle your goalie will never catch, lob headers from OUTSIDE the box some times, ...

I smash the AI 3/4 squad battles on Legendary... But every single time one of the games is just not fair.

So frustrating and fake.
  • Byrnzie28
    1805 posts Fans' Favourite

Whiich defending option do you use? Technical or Legacy defending? To be honest, I've tried both and can't notice the difference, though maybe this has something to do with EA releasing about 3 patches in this period so that I can't recognize my head from my a*$e.

• Byrnzie28

I just noticed this in Squad Battles - played a game at World Class and all my players felt like they were playing in quicksand. Lost 2-1 in the 90th minute.

• JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional

Yes @BFC CLARETTRICK , that happens to me all the time. In squad battles a perfectly positioned CPU defender is always there to steal on those bad touches, or whatever it is you want to call it.

This is what I'm also getting a lot in the final third. It appears I have Mandzukic in clean. I attempt a through ball aimed right at him but the ball instead goes straight to the CPU. I get that Spinazzola isn't a great passer and some of his balls should go astray, but I have a catalyst on him and he couldn't have an easier pass to make. Naturally, I lost this match 1-0 on a penalty. FWIW, I concede more penalties than the CPU is called for fouls.

@BiGFOOT_BiLL I'm totally with you. SB was so great that first week. I lost my share of matches but they were fun and if I played well an average player like me could beat an 83 or so rated 100 chemistry team on legendary and smash low chem teams most of the time; it allowed me to get elite 3. When I quit playing this week I was on gold 2. What's the point now that the gameplay feels so imbalanced and every team I'm getting matched up with is 83 or higher with near or at 100 chemistry? I'm not really sure what they are trying to accomplish with the changes they made with the last patch, other than maybe alienate casual gamers. They've created a total imbalance between the competitive/top players and the average casual ones who just want to relax and play for fun. Part of it, I think, is due to lazy coding. Rather than put in the effort to make a nuanced and challenging game. They just uniformly increase CPU player abilities (and then throw the terrible referee coding into the mix), resulting in a game that feels "rigged" because CPU players are at a level that doesn't match their card stats (i.e., have you seen Musa's passing or Eriksen's insane defense?). Really good players can beat it consistently. Someone like me can beat it occasionally. But regardless of whether I win or lose (and I now lose most of them) the SB mode isn't much fun to play right now.
  • Byrnzie28

I have noticed 1 game from the 4 is always a lot harder than the others even if on same level of difficulty, have no idea why this happens but it's became common that everyone knows this happens now.

Yep, the stats mean jack sh**. I've played 73 rated teams with 50 chem at pro level and they've played like Legendary level. Then the next team will be 86 rated with 100 chem and I'll beat them 8-0.

It's basically a lottery to see which teams the AI will decide will be top level.

I'm now playing two Pro level Squad battles and two World Class, seeing as you need to play higher than pro level now to achieve anything higher than Gold 2.
    Think I'm gonna start playing Legendary as what can be the difference between World Class and Legendary anyway when WC feels almost impossible? May as well go for the big points with Legendary level instead.