OT: Communication Accommodation?

snoikdonk
1504 posts Play-Off Hero
Why are a lot of people here calling others "dude" these days? Is it just to try to fit in? I also notice that "pal" is currently trendy when being condescending but "mate" has dropped right out of the charts. It's a funny old world!

Comments

• iRusty_yo
    4011 posts National Call-Up
    Been saying dude for years
  • snoikdonk
    1504 posts Play-Off Hero
    iRusty_yo wrote: »
    Been saying dude for years

You little trend setter, you! :tongue:
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    15932 posts World Class
    edited October 2017
    It's friendly....only reason I use it really. Especially when you take into consideration that everyone is essentially strangers to each other on here
  • Zv1k0
    6148 posts Big Money Move
    It's friendly....only reason I use it really. Especially when you take into consideration that everyone is essentially strangers to each other on here

Strangers? I thought we were brothers... :/
  • snoikdonk
    1504 posts Play-Off Hero

Indeed... I'm not having a go as trying to fit in with others is an important, positive part social interactions. I have Irish relatives and, when in Ireland, my speech certainly takes on a more Irish structure although I try to hold off on the accent as that would just be embarrassing.

I'm just wondering if people realise what they're doing as it can seem quite comical when the language used changes, especially if the reader/listener has been away for a while and not witnessed the gradual process.