The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

Is anyone convinced opponent chemistry actually matters in squad battles?

JGCramp
1387 posts Professional
edited October 2017
I'm just curious to get opinions.

Tonight I played a 77 rated 49 chem team on legendary and lost 1-0 .

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm not good. But on legendary I regularly score 1-3 goals against 82-84 rated teams on 100 chemistry. This was the toughest CPU defense I've ever played.

The CPU was unbreakable. Everywhere I tried to go in the offensive half there were CPU players swarming me and positioned perfectly to cut every passing lane. Most passes got intercepted, however safe or open my player appeared. They blocked almost every shot. They were perfectly positioned everywhere, including the silver LB on all red chemistry lines. The one good shot I did get, Begovic on 2 chem dove across the net to make a sprawling far post save. Plus, none of my players would move or make a run no matter what I tried. And, of course, no fouls called on the CPU.

The first week I played squad battles opponent chemistry felt like it mattered. But in the last week it changed and now low chem consistenly play just like supposedly tougher opponents. At this point I have a hard time believing the stated claim that opponent chemistry affects squad battle play. I certainly can be wrong but the SB gameplay is just so damn inconsistent, at least to a marginal player like me.

FWIW here is the goal I conceded in the 89th minute to lose. The original cross came from the one player in an Oktoberfest kit not on 2-4 chemistry (depending on loyalty). He got off the low cross because my AI Jordan Lukaku had pulled himself miles out of position so I had to try and track back with Gonalons, who was too slow. I then switched to Cancelo (on 10 chem) who was perfectly positioned to clear the cross but the 2 chem CPU player somehow comes from behind and gets off a shot by kicking between Cancelo's legs that hits the far post. 2 chem CPU Burgstaller reacts immediately, while my 10 chem AI Benatia turns the wrong way and my 10 chem AI Parolo doesn't sprint to the ball, choosing something of a more casual jockey instead. I had wanted to switch to Parolo but I got switched to Tonelli instead and was too far away to make the play.

Make of it what you will. I don't profess to be a great FIFA player.

Comments

• ozcs_69
    3764 posts National Call-Up
    i get you man, it doesnt make sense , EA has added a note that this mode could be harder than normal so they can change it up and down...
  • pudgyfudgy
    6151 posts Big Money Move
    In my experience, the ease of the match depends much more on PLAYER rating than on squad rating or chemistry.

Let me explain...

Several of the 82+ rated teams I've played actually consist of 77-80 rated players. A very ordinary and unimpressive team... but with a super stacked bench of loan Ronaldo, CR7, Griezmann etc. Probably someone's fitness team. As a result, the game is easier than you'd expect. UNTIL the subs come on. Then you just have to play a little more carefully.

In contrast, some other 81-82 rated teams I've played actually consist of super stacked players, with a BRONZE BENCH. Needless to say, the game is crazy mad difficult.

Long story short, don't believe the rating you see on screen.
  • EJL
    342 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's just random, mate. Sometimes the game/AI decide to turn it on, so to speak, regardless of the parameters within UT that suggest they shouldn't be able to.
  • uNko
    569 posts Sunday League Hero
    It definitely depends on the players. Chemistry does play a part, if its low chemistry team with high stats players, they are usually dominate but sometimes their passes or finishing is off.

• CFCHenri
    3581 posts National Call-Up
    NO IT DOESN'T. They just boost and cheat the AI to make it harder to gain coins. Try and play the Single Player AI in Seasons, same crap.

Lost 4-3 being 3-0 down against a 76 rated- 28 chem team in Legendary and I'm constantly hitting Elite 2 close to Elite 1 type of player.
    Jamie Noble 46 pace feeling faster than my HAWK Juan Jesus. Slow defenders with less than 60 pace
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37677766

You guys think this is chemistry?:
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37606584
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37677878

Smashed Muller's team 6-2, both their goals came in the 45th and 90th min where it's almost guaranteed the AI will score.(for those who never believed in 45th and 90th min goals since FIFA 13, play the AI in Squad battles, see how they behave in those minutes)
  • potato_hater
    2516 posts Fans' Favourite
    ozcs_69 wrote: »
    i get you man, it doesnt make sense , EA has added a note that this mode could be harder than normal so they can change it up and down...

Harder than normal as in kick off and career mode and other offline modes
    It so easy on legendary compared to ut that career mode is ruined, i can take Huddersfield and win the league in my first season since its so broken
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    CFCHenri wrote: »
    NO IT DOESN'T. They just boost and cheat the AI to make it harder to gain coins. Try and play the Single Player AI in Seasons, same ****.

Lost 4-3 being 3-0 down against a 76 rated- 28 chem team in Legendary and I'm constantly hitting Elite 2 close to Elite 1 type of player.
    Jamie Noble 46 pace feeling faster than my HAWK Juan Jesus. Slow defenders with less than 60 pace
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37677766

You guys think this is chemistry?:
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37606584
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CFCHenri/video/37677878

Smashed Muller's team 6-2, both their goals came in the 45th and 90th min where it's almost guaranteed the AI will score.(for those who never believed in 45th and 90th min goals since FIFA 13, play the AI in Squad battles, see how they behave in those minutes)

I'd say I'm more confused than ever but honestly the gameplay inconsistency (or rigging, or whatever you want to call it) and lack of transparency with this development team is just unfortunate.
  • Zuka_Zama
    1488 posts Professional
    Pre-patch it felt like it mattered. The second week, after the patch, everything seems changed. AI on all levels plays tougher than before from my perspective. Chem doesn't seem to matter.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Zuka_Zama wrote: »
    Pre-patch it felt like it mattered. The second week, after the patch, everything seems changed. AI on all levels plays tougher than before from my perspective. Chem doesn't seem to matter.

I completely agree about pre-patch compared to now.
  • CFCHenri
    3581 posts National Call-Up
    Also they give you the muddy, slow gameplay where you don't feel quick, agile while their reactions and aggression are boosted to the max.

Does Brozovic even want the ball?
    AggravatingColorfulFowl-max-14mb.gif
  • I SiR MartY I
    5754 posts Big Money Move
    I think the AI just decide when to turn it on, I don't think chemistry actually makes a difference.

I don't know if its how they're programmed but I find higher rated squads easy to beat, stacked teams are a piece of cake to win against even though they're better and are 100 chemistry, I find they make a lot of mistakes, poor crosses, poor passes and are easy enough to break down but those 76 rated squads with no chemistry that have LMs in CM and LWs in CAM are very hard to beat and start playing football Pep would be proud of. Get near them and it they ping it away or close a pass down and they string 6 passes together first time and score, its madness.

I used to play high rated squads on lower difficulty but I'm actually thinking about playing lower rated squads on lower difficulty and higher rated squads on legendary because its just dodgy facing them.

I'm far more afraid of random gold low rated STs in squad battles than I am of Ronaldo or any other top player.
  • Cheetah Thumbs
    4408 posts National Call-Up
    All my opponents tonight were 83 rated. 3 of them 100 chem and 1 on 60 chem. Played all on world class. Beat the 100 chem teams 3-1, 5-2, 3-0. The 60 chem team I destroyed 8-1.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    edited October 2017
    I don't know. Maybe it's in my head but before the patch it was fun. I won some; I lost some, but I could consistently score on legendary (even if I conceded more) and even with the BS it was interesting and fun to play. Now it's a painful grind trying to play when my good players get past midfield and suddenly can't handle simple passes, have horrible first touches, and pass right to a defender even if my player is wide open. CPU players like Musa pass like Messi and play defense like Ramos. On top of it, I don't recall seeing a foul called on the CPU this week and we're heading into Wednesday.

Anyway, it is what it is. I don't want to seem like I'm whining. I guess I need to adapt and adjust better.

Post edited by JGCramp on
  • bjornheisenberg
    3714 posts National Call-Up
    Varies
    I've beaten a low chem on wc 11 nil but in all seriousness they felt like semi pro.

Yesterday I was winning on legendary and they felt like pro but second half they strung a few ping pong passes and scored 3 1st time shots.
    Then dropped to pro..Same thing..2 goals unstoppable...driven pass into feet an instantaneous layoff and bang in the top corner.

I don't mind the odd one but it's ridiculous if that can happen on pro
  • JobouJp
    4 posts Ball Boy
    I just played against 89 rated team with 45 chemistry. The keeper was a a striker, there was no CB and isigne as a RB. And still the « keeper » saved everything and the defance was rock solid. How is that for chemistry mater !!
  • Byrnzie28
    1853 posts Fans' Favourite
    No, i'm not convinced at all. I've played teams with 30 something chem and it appeared to make zero difference, with the A.I team playing perfect, pin-point accurate, 50 yard, cross-field passes, etc.

I think it's just window dressing.

In fact, I have my doubts about the stats in the game across the board. Sometimes the opposing teams seem to have 150 pace, 150 strength, 150 dribbling, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover one day that the game in general is a huge con.
  • Byrnzie28
    1853 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 2018
    Just this past weekend I smashed an 88 rated team comfortably 5-0 on Legendary, whilst also losing 1-0 to a 77-something rated team with chem in the 30's or 40's.

A few months back I was beaten by a 64 rated team of bronze players. They played like the Harlem Globe Trotters of football. When I checked their team afterwards I noticed that they had 6 CB's and three GK's. I was almost embarrassed to admit that I'd been beaten by this rubbish.
    I've smashed 89 rated teams on Legendary and then have to endure this?

It's just completely random.
  • Hive
    662 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It's such a shame that you can't rely on stats and numbers.