FIFA 18 post patch review

SeanDCFC
2372 posts Fans' Favourite
Long shots needed nerfed and goalkeepers needed improvement which has been done so happy with that.
However EA are making changes in their patches that they are not telling us about and I'm not pleased with that. They have massively upped the amount of auto-tackles/auto-lunges and auto clearances which no one wants, pre-patch there wasn't much of this but now it's nonstop, get rid of this, it adds noting to the game except frustration. If i'm in control of a player and don't press a button then that player should do nothing but currently it will lunge/slide/auto-clear if the ball is anywhere near them which just shouldn't be.

The game in its current form encourages defensive/counter attacking tactics and there's a few reasons for this:
-Individual defenders drop way to deep for no reason when playing more attacking tactics, allowing attackers lots of space and time on the ball. Sometimes defenders will drop 5-10 yards behind the defensive line and the striker for no reason, it is making counter-attacking very easy.
-Driven through balls from defense to attack have 100% accuracy, a driven pass should be less accurate than a normal pass but this isn't the case.
-There is no midfield battle as midfielders don't mark or position themselves well enough and passes easily bypass the midfield.

Passing is still ridiculously accurate and is the main cause of FIFA 18's issues, tone down passing and everything will improve, this is the change we should all be calling for. At the moment we don't even need to consider our passing options, just instantly hit pass in a general location and it will almost certainly be successful. The passing stat on cards mean literally nothing, with the way the game is they should just remove that stat entirely or put it to 99 on every card as that is what it really is. Also weak foot should have an impact on passing but it also doesn't seem to.

Comments

• CuteIsWhatIAim4
    8594 posts League Winner
    Agree that passing is the main issue. You don't have to look in the direction of the receiver that's why 90 or 180 degree passes are the way to go this year.

I also agree with the WF accuracy. I'm using Valencia as RB and under normal circumstamces I would change his body position so he never has to use his WF. On 18 however I can simply play a driven pass with the WF because it means nothing. I also saw people banging in screamers with 2* WF players from 30 yards.

The problem with driven passes is, that the receiver controls it perfectly no matter of body position or looking direction, while your defender acts like he got hit by a cannon ball even though he is facing the ball, that's why they should also nerf ball control. If a player receives a ball without looking at it or being in the wrong body angle there es no way he should be able to control it or pass it perfectly, especially with his WF.
  • SeanDCFC
    Agree that passing is the main issue. You don't have to look in the direction of the receiver that's why 90 or 180 degree passes are the way to go this year.

I also agree with the WF accuracy. I'm using Valencia as RB and under normal circumstamces I would change his body position so he never has to use his WF. On 18 however I can simply play a driven pass with the WF because it means nothing. I also saw people banging in screamers with 2* WF players from 30 yards.

The problem with driven passes is, that the receiver controls it perfectly no matter of body position or looking direction, while your defender acts like he got hit by a cannon ball even though he is facing the ball, that's why they should also nerf ball control. If a player receives a ball without looking at it or being in the wrong body angle there es no way he should be able to control it or pass it perfectly, especially with his WF.

Didn't think about ball control but your right, there is no error there either. Thinking about it the ball control stat doesn't really matter either, they may as well remove that as well.
  • TRADING2CR9
    674 posts Sunday League Hero
    What happened to those fancy passes and through balls on the trailer we was shown? All went out of the window after the patch. Feels like 17.2 just with smoother dribbling and slightly toned down AI. I don't really like the patch because everything EA advertised at launch has basically gone with this patch. Only thing that needed altering was the defending and GK. Pre patch it was way too OP and stupid. Post patch it's gone the opposite. Defending and GK are again OP. They need to find a healthy balance.
  • SeanDCFC
    What happened to those fancy passes and through balls on the trailer we was shown? All went out of the window after the patch. Feels like 17.2 just with smoother dribbling and slightly toned down AI. I don't really like the patch because everything EA advertised at launch has basically gone with this patch. Only thing that needed altering was the defending and GK. Pre patch it was way too OP and stupid. Post patch it's gone the opposite. Defending and GK are again OP. They need to find a healthy balance.

To me it it doesn't feel like 17.2 as I think FIFA 17, despite it's problems had a much better balance than this game does.
  • MaxxyMousse
    309 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2017
    AI defends like Fifa17. Just lost a game to a player playing 4-3-3(4) PTB counter attack (62% possesion Vs his 38%). I could see the player indicator he was controlling, but his AI controlled players were also intercepting, tackling, pressuring my players. Well, maybe he was an excellent player and I am wrong, but I think that the AI defends like Fifa17 after the patch.
  • Ishibum
    12258 posts Has That Special Something
    I had just about learned how to defend when they brought out the new patch. Now getting smashed again :lol:
  • SeanDCFC
    edited October 2017
    AI defends like Fifa17. Just lost a game to a player playing 4-3-3(4) PTB counter attack. I could see the player indicator he was controlling, but his AI controlled players were also intercepting, tackling, pressuring my players. Well, maybe he was an excellent player and I am wrong, but I think that the AI defends like Fifa17 after the patch.

Yeah, they didn't need to change defending in the way they did just reduce passing accuracy and the defending would work a lot better.
  • Recoba
    3584 posts National Call-Up
    Ishibum wrote: »
    I had just about learned how to defend when they brought out the new patch. Now getting smashed again :lol:

There is a new one on the way
  • SeanDCFC
    Recoba wrote: »

Is there a new one out on PC?
  • Recoba
    SeanDCFC wrote: »
    Recoba wrote: »

Is there a new one out on PC?

Yes out today. Tomorrow or monday on PS4
  • Zv1k0
    5864 posts Big Money Move
    Yes they have changed something in AI defence 100%. My team gave away a penalty due to AI tackling which didnt happen before. That was amazing cause i know how many penalties I've given away in previous fifa games cause of stupid AI.
  • Recoba
    Zv1k0 wrote: »
    Yes they have changed something in AI defence 100%. My team gave away a penalty due to AI tackling which didnt happen before. That was amazing cause i know how many penalties I've given away in previous fifa games cause of stupid AI.

AI defense has been buffed for sure. Im finding less open spaces on attack with the same formation. Also shot blocking inside the área has been increased.