FIFA 18 Gameplay Discussion & Issues

Comments

• NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    @NornIron still getting delay with sky?

Not usually but the game is shocking tonight unplayable with lag. My connection is the same so must be the servers tonight.
  • Martythedoc
    2515 posts Fans' Favourite
    Tried playing there.

Players moved like tanks. Felt like I was about a 20 seconds delay.

Pure awful
  • Manual_stick
    118 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Can somebody please tell if the UPNP setting on the router must be "on" or "off" ?? Thanks
  • aotfw
    74 posts Park Captain
    edited January 2018
    @Manual_stick sorry but I have to inform you that my PS4 was never set up as primary in the first place :D:D
    Maybe for me it would work the other way round?
    The randomness of this game is just amazing.
  • Manual_stick
    @aotfw Do not take me seriously. The gameplay was very laggy the weekend, I do not think it was a solution to my problem.
    It was definitely placebo, sorry for that.
  • aotfw
    74 posts Park Captain
    That's fine, don't worry. As I said, things like that have been reported numerous times, and I don't think they're necessarily placebo-type. It simply proves how dodgy and unreliable this game is programmed.
  • Manual_stick
    @aotfw maybe you can resolve the doubt I have about UPNP, whats the recomendation, have it "on" or "off". What about your configuration ?
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    Yes guys, these settings we change and gameplay improves - but then seems to fall again later on after a few days or maybe a week or 2. It is amazing how unreliable the game can be, and it's only normal to think this is a type of fix as the game improves after a set change.

Still always worth sharing.
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    @Manual_stick

I have tried UPNP both on and off, with each port forwarding rules set to on and off amongst other configurable settings . Being honest overall I could not see any difference with any of them, no matter what was done. Except some improvements, to make you feel you have found an effective workaround to only fall a week or 2 later back to its normal self. To sum this up, from my long experience with this it really doesn't matter what you do with a lot of these settings in respect to removing lag/delay.

If we were to follow the rules, if you have port forwarding instructions in place then you "should" have UPNP set to off to remove any conflicts between the two.

I haven't tried it on this FIFA, but in previous FIFA's I did find without port forwarding in place it was either taking longer to find an opponent or the opponent would not be able to connect at all to the "team screen" before a game. Enter port forwarding/DMZ this resolved this problem. Then again the whole point of UPNP should be to open the necessary ports required, but I guess in some instances it's not as reliable as it should be from what I have found.

To sum this up, if you are having difficulties connecting to opponents i would look at your port forwarding/DMZ settings.
  • aotfw
    74 posts Park Captain
    edited January 2018
    @Manual_stick I currently play with "on", used to think that "off" was a little better but concluded that I had imagined that.
    The rationale is, perhaps, that switching it to off makes it somewhat more difficult for the EA and Sony servers to communicate with your machine during the game (there are IP adresses constantly talking to our consoles while we play, and some research by fellow members has shown who operates them), and one could perhaps think that this added need for communication affects the game negatively. Any way, to me it looked like you needed to choose between making this communication even harder (UPnP "off"), in the hope of diminishing its negative effect, or just letting it all go and trying to get it as fluent as possible ("on").
    Manual port forwarding should be able to do the same, right? Maybe you can answer this if you know a little bit about these things...
  • aotfw
    74 posts Park Captain
    edited January 2018
    Damn @JIO22 three minutes late... I see our posts go along similar lines. From a (noob) networking point of view, UPnP shouldn't play such a big role
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    Ah no probs @aotfw . Yes I would say it doesn't, certainly from my experiences.

Really for all us guys the large amounts of delay/lag/out of sync gameplay we see and get, unfortunately we have next to zero control over it - I hate to say this but it is true.
    In the midst of this, lets hope EA are getting their act together and building a better place for their online gaming network though, to make us all happy.
  • Manual_stick
    @aotfw and @JIO22 thanks for answering.

In fact my question about UPNP, has to do with looking for the best gaming experience and at the same time decrease the existing lag especially in Fut Champions.

From what I see, you like me, have spent time looking for how to solve this. I have researched about DMZ, open ports manually and UPNP. All basically have the same function of allowing the console to have connections with other devices that come from the internet to our LAN (PS4).

In the desperation to find and solve this, I have tried all the possible combinations, upnp with dmz, only dmz, just upnp and in spite of this if I have found some differences between the possibilities, but none ends up satisfying or being close to the experience of game that other players have with the game.

So the question to you, what has been or what is the configuration in terms of ports, upnp or dmz that more has worked for you ?

I am completely sure that this will not solve our input lag problem but at least I cheat my mind and every change that I make, makes me think that it will solve the problem. I'm so stupid lol.

@aotfw @JIO22 Yes, manual port fowarding just open the ports permanently for any application that needs them. UPNP open the ports on demand, If any application needs to communicate through some specific port, with upnp, the modem is responsible for opening the port automatically while the connection exists. in terms of security, open ports manually is more secure than UPNP.
  • NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    Anyone else on sky fibre my connection is lagging a lot more than BT Infinity but I'm winning more matches because I don't get the slow delayed gameplay now.
    BT I didn't lag but every match was delayed I couldn't pull off any skill moves etc.
    With Sky I have the new Q hub trying to set up my own Router which has its own modem is a nightmare. I had it set up using the Q hub as the modem but it didn't make a difference to the lag.
  • aotfw
    74 posts Park Captain
    edited January 2018
    In the desperation to find and solve this, I have tried all the possible combinations, upnp with dmz, only dmz, just upnp and in spite of this if I have found some differences between the possibilities...

Hahaha yes all possible combinations and permutations... Horribly huge number of things to go through.
    During October/November last year, I always played with Exposed Host and UPnP turned off. I think this setting was the one that granted me the largest streak of "acceptable" gameplay. At some point everything turned to shiathe again, so out of spite I pretty much reset everything on the router to factory default and just kept playing like this from then on. These days I can't really be bothered to think about this any more and I try to see this game just as something like Pachisi :D But the setting I described above was perhaps the one I had most confidence in.
  • BeardedBerk
    1797 posts Play-Off Hero
    best gameplay i ever had which was on fifa 17 was behind a strict nat on Xbox.... played about 4 or 5 games and it was a joy to play.... on open and moderate its never been anything close to that
  • Manual_stick
    @aotfw Well, I join you in your pain, because it is the same for me.

I don't know what kind of input lag to have, but in my case when I switch a player either with L1 or manual with the stick, after being selected, the player takes time to react, either to move or execute an action such as throwing or making an entry, so frustrating...

I hope that one day all this will be solved...
  • NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    edited January 2018
    Just realised why I don't try and qualify for the weekend League looks like I still get the delay in that mode probably worst than with BT, just impossible to play as my players play better when I'm not touching the controller.
    I'm a few points from winning division one now went up five divisions since moving to sky yet I can't last to half time in a weekend qualifier, win every match on Squad battles most 5-0 on legendary but a lot of people say theres no such thing as I sided delay :D
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    NornIron wrote: »
    Anyone else on sky fibre my connection is lagging a lot more than BT Infinity but I'm winning more matches because I don't get the slow delayed gameplay now.
    BT I didn't lag but every match was delayed I couldn't pull off any skill moves etc.
    With Sky I have the new Q hub trying to set up my own Router which has its own modem is a nightmare. I had it set up using the Q hub as the modem but it didn't make a difference to the lag.

I'm with Sky, but not fibre just the normal broadband. Lately mine has been quite good to be fair,pretty decent responsive gameplay, but I think we're in the lap of the gods as to what happens each day if I'm honest @NornIron .
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    So the question to you, what has been or what is the configuration in terms of ports, upnp or dmz that more has worked for you ?

@Manual_stick over the years I have spent so much time trying every possible scenario with each individual setting, and I'm still here - nothing has cured it.

Nowadays after exhausting all this, I really can not be bothered to adjust anything anymore as it is not the fix to our issues. But I have settled with UPNP switched off in my router and my PS4 set with a static IP address for the DMZ in my router.

You are best off getting the settings you are happy with and leaving them, as you (like me) will end up wasting so much time changing these all of the time, to basically get nowhere.

• chevano
    322 posts Sunday League Hero
    now i have since a few weeks better internet 300/300 here in spain i have to send the company which ports i want to open
    So i was thinking to use 1 ip adres on dmz
    and another one with all the ports forwarded.

PS4
    3074, 3478-3479, 3659, 6000 udp
    80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480, 3659, 10000-10099, 42127 tcp

Anyone have more tips or ideas?
    Somehow they dont allow to get in own routers here while in holland i always could do it myself.
    And i like to have covered all my bases so i can change the ip of my ps4 if 1 way doesnt work or for 2nd ps4
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    edited January 2018
    If I had any advice to cure it I would say but honestly I haven't, I'm pretty sure none of us have.

I'd go with a static IP and DMZ, just my preference though. After this there is not to much more you can do or change.
  • NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    edited January 2018
    Qualified for the weekend league but the gameplay was truly awful only qualified because every shot I had with Van Basten went in, it was as if I was playing park the bus but that was because I couldn't move the players. I'm going to get battered by anyone half decent and there's nothing I'll be able to to about it. :|
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • R4z0RB4cK
    171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited February 2018
    Jl022, why don't you try PlusNet again :lol:
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    Ah welcome to the thread @R4z0RB4cK

Are they still around... No way. My issues that I had then with PN are far worse than what gets experienced these days. That was years ago too.
  • R4z0RB4cK
    171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I wasn't far behind you in switching mate, switched to Origin which was better then PN, even though Origin rent the lines from PN, now I have ended up with Virgin, I don't think it matters who you are with when playing FIFA though as the game is broken.
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    Very true. To many considerations that cut this game up. ISP (or ISP related issues) can definitely cause problems when playing FIFA, so this needs to be eradicated or minimised the best we can. Then there is the game itself, the inbuilt "AI" and it's servers/networking vulnerabilities.

To many things to go wrong for us that comes from those above things. Saying this mine has been okay the last couple of weeks.

I haven't tried the WL yet though! For me it's usually either great or totally unplayable.
  • NornIron
    16089 posts World Class
    edited February 2018
    First weekend league '' first time really tried to qualify'' but I'm 7-1 at the min enjoying it because it seems as if everyone is getting the sluggish gameplay at minute.
    Hopefully a server or something blew up knowing EA they will either try and tape it up or go 2nd hand :D
  • JIO22
    1200 posts Professional
    Keep going I would, make the most of it and take advantage if you can whilst it's going good for you.