FIFA 18 review.

SeanDCFC
2372 posts Fans' Favourite
So I've played quite a bit this weekend and I'd like to share some of my thoughts on it.

Offline- So I never used to play offline but I am actually enjoying playing the AI more than someone online, the AI has been improved a lot and and feels more like playing a human. Loving squad battles at the moment, so credit to EA on that one.

Daily and weekly rewards- A small thing but I like the idea of them, it's good to have more things to keep you interested.

Online- Online the game is way too easy at the moment, games are goalfests and the reasons why are obvious but I'll go through them.

Passing- This is way too easy, it is more of a challenge to misplace a pass than be successful. Even in tight areas you can still find the pass, forcing at least semi-assisted passing is the solution here, EA want the game to be competitive and with fully assisted controls this game will never be truly competitive. I think the competitive side of FIFA should be full manual but as this will never happen semi-assisted is the best option,

Shooting- Very little error in shooting and long range shots are too easy particularly when finessing, forcing at least semi-assisted here would also be a nice solution.

Goalkeeping- This is part of the reason why shooting is so easy, I've had times where I've shot straight at the keeper and it still goes in. They seem to be able to get a hand on a lot of shots but it's like they have weak wrists. They also punch way to much from crosses when it's easier to catch.

Defending- The problem with defending is that the AI for the most part don't track runs well, particularly when you are in control of a player and switch to someone else. In these instances the AI seems to stop for a second allowing the attacker to get a yard ahead. I also don't think defensive players get tight enough to attackers in a lot of situations.

Overall I'm enjoying the game but I think improvements need to be made in the above areas as the game is lacking balance.

Comments

• SimmoEFC
    11462 posts Has That Special Something
    I agree mate, attacking is too easy.
  • limjitwe
    6737 posts Big Money Move
    It’s the shooting imo. 60 shot power is the same as 80s shot power.
  • sounders3
    4492 posts National Call-Up
    Is it just me or is this game exhausting to play? Feel mentally tired after a few games which never happened in 17
  • SeanDCFC
    2372 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2017
    SimmoEFC wrote: »
    I agree mate, attacking is too easy.

100%.
    limjitwe wrote: »
    It’s the shooting imo. 60 shot power is the same as 80s shot power.

I notice very little difference in shooting in any players, I just scored from outside the box with Michael Keane with his weak foot and it flew in the top corner. Even though that should be possible it happens to much in this game.
    sounders3 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this game exhausting to play? Feel mentally tired after a few games which never happened in 17

I think it's because the defenders don't track/mark very well you need to be switched on constantly when out of possession.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13001 posts Has That Special Something
    edited October 2017
    FB_IMG_1506878428231.jpg
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    14331 posts Has That Special Something

Nope I'm mentally exhausted as well.
  • DSD27
    5657 posts Big Money Move
    Agree.
  • SimmoEFC
    11462 posts Has That Special Something
    It's because you have to be switched on at all times because the defenders do nothing and the keepers are useless.

WL is going to be a nightmare.
  • CuteIsWhatIAim4
    8594 posts League Winner
    Never thought I'd say that but you're spot on with everything you said. Could end in a bromance between us.

It's ridiculous that EA did a full U-Turn after 17 instead of finding the middle ground.

I also agree that the game becomes exhausting after like 3-5 games in a row. I managed to play 40 games in a row last year twice, which is unhealthy, I know, but when the game wasn't delayed to hell it was fun and I didn't make you tired. Now I need to take a break after a couple of games because it's just tilting when you play against a way worse opponent but he somehow manages to score 3 random goals on you without any effort and goals he didn't work for and took no skill so you have to grind your **** off to score 4. This happened like once in 100 games last year and scoring 3 or more usually netted you the win but right now you have to go through this every third game. I don't want to be a moody mess in real life on weekends so I'll look how the WL is going for me in the first two weeks and may consider quitting FIFA earlier than I ever did before if nothing changes. EA is shooting themselves in the leg this year and especially the casual players who get destroyed online will turn their backs toward this game which means less sales of FIFA points. I'll go this far and say that FIFA 19 will be the worst selling FIFA EA ever.

The game has some good improvements but on the other hand the biggest flaws (things that were okay last year) a FIFA ever had.

Instead of finding a balance and setting the "sliders" to 50 they changed them from 100 to 0. This is either lazy developing or incompetence and makes the game seem like a early alpha version. It seems like they're using the first month for testing, a thing that should've been done with the beta already. I'm seriously wondering how this game could be released in such a unfinished state. Good ideas but terrible execution.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13001 posts Has That Special Something
    I like the game for the most part, but I do see EA's laziness throughout the game...even in the updates, I'm a right saddow and often look to see who's face they've added ...but even this year they've literally added less than 20 faces....how has mertens still got a generic face? He alone made ultimate team loads of FP dosh through he countless informs he had last year...then there's the strange inclusion of the 3rd tier in Germany....why? As for gameplay they've literally gave us 17 but with manual defending...there's hardly any difference
  • DSD27
    5657 posts Big Money Move
    You get tired because now you have to keep pressing the two triggers like crazy and moving the defenders.
  • Dutch3723
    548 posts An Exciting Prospect
    SimmoEFC wrote: »
    It's because you have to be switched on at all times because the defenders do nothing and the keepers are useless.

WL is going to be a nightmare.

Absolutely agree - and I've found it really refreshing to be able to pause the game on squad battles and return later. In a WL qualifier I found myself going back t thesweary moody **** that played most weekends last year. With the game as it stands I'm going to focus on squad battles with a few online seasons when I fancy it and see if I'm less stressed this year!

• CuteIsWhatIAim4
    8594 posts League Winner
    edited October 2017
    Regarding passing: when you made a 180 pass last year especially with the weak foot and off balance you often played a pea roller that bounced just a few yards or it did end up in the stands. I'm yet to experience this animation in 18, it just seems like it's completely gone.
  • Kingchavez_152
    1403 posts Play-Off Hero
    It is so difficult because the AI opens up and moves everyone to stop everything but you can only control one defender. When your opponents squad had good defenders it is difficult
  • Kingchavez_152
    1403 posts Play-Off Hero
    And the game is scripted for sure. I’m not sure why the game seems harder on pro than world class. And higher rated teams + high rated Chem play worse than teams with low rating and low Chem