Steven Gerrard: Community Shield

JoshDFC
2146 posts Fans' Favourite
edited July 2018
2zpqhq9.png

Sky Sources understand that Steven Gerrard is to step down as manager of Liverpools under 18s as speculation mounts over his future. Gerrard took over as manager of Liverpools academy in January but it is understood Gerrard is keen for a new challenge and is excited about taking up a job with a Championship team to prove himself amongst senior managers. The Liverpool legend rejected the chance to manage MK Dons in January as he didn’t feel it was the right job for him but he is now but he feels he is ready and has spoken with several teams about taking over with manager less Middlesbrough the current favourites. Middlesbrough have continued to spend without a manager bringing in eight new players including a club record deal for Britt Assombalonga who according to Sky Sources is excited by the prospect of working with Gerrard.
Post edited by JoshDFC on

Comments

• JoshDFC
    reserved 1
  • JoshDFC
    reserved 2
  • JoshDFC
    reserved 3 you can now post
  • Wyojasond
    16612 posts World Class
    Good luck man! Will be fun to see what Stevie G can do
  • Ahmer50x
    28981 posts Player of the Year
    Best of luck! Get him to somewhere lower Prem/upper Championship. Will be fun!
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good luck. Like the Stevie G angle. Should be a good read.
  • milan_7
    383 posts Sunday League Hero
    Good luck. Middlesbrough should be interesting if you end up going with them, they have their real stadium which is always a bonus.
  • JoshDFC
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Good luck man! Will be fun to see what Stevie G can do

Cheers hopefully one day I can get him to Liverpool :)
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Best of luck! Get him to somewhere lower Prem/upper Championship. Will be fun!

Cheers I already know the team I'm going for Championship side chasing promotion
    Good luck. Like the Stevie G angle. Should be a good read.

Cheers :)
    milan_7 wrote: »
    Good luck. Middlesbrough should be interesting if you end up going with them, they have their real stadium which is always a bonus.

Cheers think it will be Middlesbrough going for the angle that Monk was never appointed :)
  • JoshDFC
    ssnn.jpg

Steven_Gerrard.jpg

Middlesbrough have appointed former England captain Steven Gerrard as their new manager on a two-year deal. Sky Sources understand that Birmingham and Wigan Athletic both made attempts to hijack the deal but Gerrard had already given his word to Middlesbrough and gave the go ahead for the club record deal that saw Assombalonga join from Nottingham Forest.

A statemen from Middlesbrough read “Middlesbrough can tonight confirm the appointment of England and Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard on a two year deal. The club is delighted to have been able to beat off competition from several clubs including some in higher leagues to be able to welcome Steven to the club we hope you join us in welcoming Steven to the Boro and supporting him this season as we look to bounce back from the recent disappointment of relegation from the Premier League.

Sky Sports will be sending Gerrard’s former Liverpool team mate and Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher if you have a question you’d like to ask Gerrard send it in to us below.
  • Ahmer50x
    I'd like to ask Stevie G how he plans to deal with any potential slip ups in his first management role :lol:

Also, is he open to hiring Carragher as his assistant?
  • Greenman019
    Good choice. Nice to play a club with a clear defined goal in mind, in this case bouncing straight back up to the premier league.

Question - "Gerrard. Many people have stated that the Championship is far too difficult for someone with so little managerial experience. Do you have what it takes to get Boro' back to the top tier?"
  • Cody22775
    591 posts Sunday League Hero
    loving the idea, hoping to see Gerrard tested in his first season in middlesbrough.

Question - "you are inheriting a side that has proven that it can perform at a top level. What are some of the changes you plan on making to make this team 'yours'?"
  • milan_7
    I like the idea of asking the forum for questions, mine is:

"Steven, you worked with the Liverpool youth academy briefly before taking this job. Do you have any plans to bring some of your former players to Boro?
  • Ashy
    14620 posts Has That Special Something
    Interesting to see this is more about the manager than a club, we will follow Gerrard and see how he does in management and I can't wait, Middlesborough is a very good club and if they can produce a few good players from the academy in the next couple of years I can see Gerrard having a club influence on them.
  • Wyojasond
    16612 posts World Class
    Question for Mr. Gerrard....... what style do you hope this team to plan. You stated many times at the U-18 level that you wanted to coach like you played. How will that translate to this team?
  • JoshDFC
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I'd like to ask Stevie G how he plans to deal with any potential slip ups in his first management role :lol:

Also, is he open to hiring Carragher as his assistant?

Haha might be awkward Jamie asking him about the slip :lol:
    Good choice. Nice to play a club with a clear defined goal in mind, in this case bouncing straight back up to the premier league.

Question - "Gerrard. Many people have stated that the Championship is far too difficult for someone with so little managerial experience. Do you have what it takes to get Boro' back to the top tier?"

Cheers promotion is definitely the aim this season although a couple of players rated lower then I expected
    Cody22775 wrote: »
    loving the idea, hoping to see Gerrard tested in his first season in middlesbrough.

Question - "you are inheriting a side that has proven that it can perform at a top level. What are some of the changes you plan on making to make this team 'yours'?"

Cheers :)

milan_7 wrote: »
    I like the idea of asking the forum for questions, mine is:

"Steven, you worked with the Liverpool youth academy briefly before taking this job. Do you have any plans to bring some of your former players to Boro?

Ashy wrote: »
    Interesting to see this is more about the manager than a club, we will follow Gerrard and see how he does in management and I can't wait, Middlesborough is a very good club and if they can produce a few good players from the academy in the next couple of years I can see Gerrard having a club influence on them.

Cheers I've turned transfers off first window so will be trying to get a good scout to find some good young players for the future
  • JoshDFC
    image.jpg

Carragher: Stevie congratulations on your new job as Middlesbrough manager. How does it feel stepping into management?
    Gerrard: I’m still taking it all in really, getting to know the facilities here and getting to know the players and all the coaching staff but so far it’s been enjoyable.

Carragher: We’ve got a few questions from fans so let’s jump straight into it the first question is from @Ahmer50x I’ll ignore the first part of his comment haha but would you be open to hiring Carragher as your Assistant Manager?
    Gerrard: Haha are you after a new job or something starting with that one? Haha I think being honest Jamie this is my first real job in management so I decided I want somebody with a little bit more experience who has worked under great managers so I’ve gone with Sammy Lee as assistant

Carragher: Great person to have by your side Stevie. The next question is from @Greenman019 he says Gerrard, Many people have stated that the Championship is far too difficult for someone with so little managerial experience. Do you have what it takes to get Boro back to the top tier?
    Gerrard: I certainly hope we can get back in the Prem obviously it won’t be easy there’s four or five teams who will be confident of going up but I believe in myself. Pep Guardiola took over Barcelona when he was my age and look what he has achieved so far.

Carragher: Talk about putting pressure on yourself Steve haha. This question is from @Cody22775 You are inheriting a side that has proven that it can perform at the top level. What are some of the changes you plan on making to make this team YOURS?
    Gerrard: I think the first thing I have to do is get the team scoring, last season Middlesbrough only scored twenty-seven league goals I’ve played with strikers that have scored more than that so hopefully we are an attack minded team this season. I’m going to give everybody a clean slate and hopefully there’s a few lads that will grab the opportunity and in January I will hopefully bring in a few faces as well.

Carragher: Next question is from @milan_7 Steven, you worked with the Liverpool youth academy briefly before taking this job. Do you have any plans to bring some of your former players with you?
    Gerrard: I think that Liverpool have some exceptional talent in there youth teams and if the opportunity arose where we could sign one or two of them it is something I would consider like I say I’d like to give the players here a chance but yeah I’ll be keeping my eye on some of the young talent at Liverpool ready if they become available.

Carragher: Final question is from @Wyojasond what style do you hope this team to play. You stated many times at the U-18 level that you wanted to coach like you played. How will that translate to this team?
    Gerrard: I think by putting one hundred percent in every time we go out onto the training pitch. As a player I was always striving to get better and as a manager I will be the same but I will also be trying to push myself to make my players better. We have a young team here and I want to help these players progress in their career.
  • Cody22775
    i think he answered our questions very well and am looking forward to seeing if he can walk the talk. also the idea of answering our questions was great
  • Greenman019
    Good interview. Always a nice idea to get some questions from the people who follow the thread.
  • Wyojasond
    16612 posts World Class
    Great interview. eager to see how it shakes out for him.
  • JoshDFC
    Cody22775 wrote: »
    i think he answered our questions very well and am looking forward to seeing if he can walk the talk. also the idea of answering our questions was great
    Good interview. Always a nice idea to get some questions from the people who follow the thread.
    Wyojasond wrote: »
    Great interview. eager to see how it shakes out for him.

• JoshDFC
    edited September 2017
    August Part One

CoEBdeQ.png

Wolves (3-5-2): Ruddy 7, Doherty 7, Coady 8, Miranda 6, Boly 7, Douglas 7, N’Diaye 7, Neves 7 (Saiss 6, 57), Costa 7, Bonatini 7 (Wilson 6, 63), Jota 8

Middlesbrough (4-2-3-1): Randolph 8, Christie 7 (Fry 8, 33), Ayala 8, Gibson 8, Fabio 8 (Friend N/A, 89), Clayton 8, Howson 8, Traore 9, Baker 10, Downing 8 (Braithwaite 7, 65), Assombalonga 9

cKme8uv.png

sNAcg29.png

Gillingham (4-1-2-1-2 Narrow): Nelson 7, Wagstaff 6 (O’Neill N/A, 84), Nugent 6, Ehmer 7, Garmston 7, Morris 6, Byrne 8, Bingham 6 (Hessenthaler 6, 69), Starkey 6 (Parker N/A, 79), Eaves 7, Wilkinson 8

Middlesbrough (4-4-2 Flat): Mejias 8, Shotton 9, Ayala 8, Fry 9, Friend 9, Fletcher 8 (Downing 7, 69), Leadbitter 9 (Clayton 9, 73), Forshaw 9, Braithwaite 9, Bamford 10 (Howson N/A, 79), Gestede 9

cU177M2.png

Middlesbrough (4-2-3-1): Randolph 7, Fabio 7, Ayala 8, Gibson 7, Friend 7, Traore 8, Clayton 8, Howson 7, Downing 6 (Braithwaite 6, 62), Baker 9, Bamford 8 (Assombalonga 8, 64)

Sheffield United (5-2-1-2): Moore 7, Freeman 7, Stearman 7, Wright 7, Basham 8, Stevens 6, Fleck 7, Lundstram 6, Duffy 8 (Coutts 6, 62), Donaldson 7, Sharp 8

Gerrard: I think we’ve got off to a fantastic start if I’m being honest. Other than the first half an hour against Wolves I think we’ve dominated the games and we’ve scored some good team goals. Obviously, we’re disappointed to drop points at home we played some beautiful football and to concede from a long ball is disappointing but a lot of teams will take that approach especially in the last ten minutes of games we have to learn how to deal with the ball better and start winning the second balls because football wise they were nowhere near us we just gifted them two goals. Patrick has done well he’s had a tough few years but hopefully we can get his confidence up he can score us a few goals and we will hopefully give him another shot in the Premier League if he gets back to his best because the lad can finish but we also have Rudy (Gestede) he was brilliant against Gillingham and obviously Britt (Assombalonga) got himself on the score sheet. I think we’re only going to get better as the team gets used to my tactics so we have to take the positives three games in unbeaten into the next round of the cup against Blackburn and in the play offs.
  • JoshDFC
    August update part 2

yYebKeb.png

Middlesbrough (4-2-3-1): Randolph 7, Fabio 8, Fry 8, Gibson 8, Friend 8, Clayton 9, Howson 8, Traore 7 (Fletcher 7, 55), Baker 8 (Downing 7, 71), Braithwaite 8, Assombalonga 10 (Bamford N/A, 79)

Burton Albion (5-3-2): Ripley 7, Brayford 6, Buxton 6, McFadzean 6, Barker 6, Dyer 6, Lund 5 (Akpan 5, 61), Murphy 6 (Scannell N/A, 89), Allen 6, Mason 5 (Sordell 6, 71), Boyce 5

Steven Gerrard was full of praise for his side as they got back to winning ways with a 3-0 win against Burton Albion with striker Britt Assombalonga scoring his first hat trick for the club. Assombalonga gave Middlesbrough the lead after fourteen minutes when Traore’s shot from the right came back off the post and landed at his feet five yards out allowing him to slot into an empty net. Middlesbrough thought it was two shortly after when Traores cross was met by Braithwaite whose header flew into the top corner but the linesman had his flag up for offside. Middlesbrough did get their second three minutes into the second half when Clayton’s corner was met by Assombalonga whose header gave Ripley no chance in the Burton goal. Assombalonga completed his hat trick on seventy two minutes Claytons corner was met by Friend his header was brilliantly saved by Ripley bu the ball was nodded home by Assombalonga as Middlesbrough picked up their first home win and clean sheet of the season.

Gerrard:
    I thought this was a best performance so far this season. We dominated from start to finish and we played some brilliant football if it wasn’t for Ripley we could have had five or six goals. It gives us something proper to build in it wasn’t scruffy it we didn’t go a goal down and have to show character from start to finish we concentrated on the job and we showed that when we’re on form we’re going to be very difficult to stop. Britt was brilliant today he did every thing I asked he worked hard off the ball and he got himself a hat trick which included two poachers goals.
  • JoshDFC
    which one do you guys prefer the one match update or doing a couple of games at a time and doing the one match update for big games?
  • Cody22775
    edited September 2017
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    which one do you guys prefer the one match update or doing a couple of games at a time and doing the one match update for big games?

Pretty much whatever you prefer, depending how much time you have on your hands really.
  • milan_7
    Great interview and a decent start to the season, Assombalonga looking good so far.
  • Greenman019
    Good start to the season. Unbeaten thus far, can't say fairer than that.

In terms of match updates, I like the odd big game update with more in-depth info but that's just me :)
  • Wyojasond
    16612 posts World Class
    I'm not too picky with the updates. Whatever works best for you. I feel like they both get the job done. Great start to the season as well.
  • Ahmer50x
    Excellent start to the season, but awful that Christie is gonna miss the season :disappointed:
  • Ashy
    14620 posts Has That Special Something
    Boro had a really tough start to the season fixtures wise so good to see you are unbeaten and only dropped 2 points along with a big cup win