Road to One Thousand Goals with the Goat!

James Libby
6891 posts Big Money Move
Alright, my intention is simple: score a thousand goals with Thierry Henry.
Henry_Arsenakl-151292.jpg

But it’s not that simple. Like many of you, I had, and continue to have, a complex relationship with Henry. From watching the Invincibles in real-life, to scoring hundreds of goals with Henry’s 79-Red Bull-CF card in FIFA 2015, it’s a tale of ups and downs, triumph and tragedy, and of course…. goals and assists. I want to post some of my pics of old Henry teams tell you about what I went through with the Goat playing FIFA throughout the years.

As well as talking about my love-affair with the Goat, I have a specific four-step process I’d like to enact on my way to that thousand goals. I want to use all three Henry ICON cards:

fut18-iconratings-henry-lg.jpg

AND – eventually – I’d like to recreate a hybrid Gunners squad that features the best of the invincibles (Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, etc.) and the club’s modern-day stars (Alexis, Lacazette, Koscielny, KOLASANIC, etc.).

This thread is for my story on the road to one thousand goals with the Goat, and anyone else out there trying to make it happen with the one, the only, Thierry Henry (hereafter referred to as “the Goat”).

Welcome to all, and happy GOATing!

Comments

• James Libby
    edited September 2018
    The Plan
    As stated, the overall goal is to score one thousand goals with the Goat using all three of his ICON cards. This is what I know. The rest is just theory.

Step OneGet the Goat - COMPLETED
    87 LW Henry - CHECK
    e299283f8579a7dc3246882f3f4812f7.png
    90 LW Henry - CHECK
    6b421d18e24fd40c594caec355a74946.png
    93 ST Henry - CHECK
    077e2854ccda71d49c8ee5279b3410c2.png

Step Two Bang Goals with the Goat - CHECK
    87 LW HENRY GOALS:
    120 Goals Scored
    d2d9619cb9dc4c357934ad1674f28a08.png

90 LW HENRY GOALS:
    119 Goals Scored
    81a2b6d8bafbf45aecbf8160805ba38f.gyf

93 ST HENRY GOALS:
    761 Goals Scored
    4bb1f28ecac7917f789cc72caa4ba33a.gyf

GOAT GOALS TOTAL: 1000/1000

Step ThreeGet the Band Back Together
    Maybe, just maybe, in the long run, I can somehow begin to reassemble the great Goat-Gunners of olde. To add Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, and Laca, Koscielny, Alexis, and Kolasanic all back into ONE superteam!

Gunners I've played with thus far:

85 Petit
    88 Petit
    90 Petit PRIME
    85 Pires
    91 Pires PRIME
    87 Bergkamp
    90 Bergkamp
    92 Bergkamp PRIME
    91 Vieira PRIME

Koscielny
    FUTmas Koscielny
    IF Mustafi
    Kolasinac
    IF Kolasinac
    FUT Birthday Kolasinac
    Alexis Sanchez
    IF Alexis Sanchez
    Scream Ozil
    IF Ozil
    SIF Ozil
    Award Winner Giroud
    90 Overmars PRIME
    Cech
    IF Ramsey
    OTW Mkhitaryan
    OTW Aubameyang
    Aubameyang
    OTW Lacazette
    Lacazette

Step Four Present the Goat, the entire Goat, and nothing but the Goat
    My goal is to post as many of the Goat’s goals as is possible, and in the interim (Step One – Get the Goat) to keep this thread updated as to my progress. In the long term, I’d like to challenge fellow Henry-gunners and maybe stream the matches! But we are getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves. If you have any thoughts about what I should, or shouldn’t be doing on the Road to the Goat, feel free to let me know!
    Post edited by James Libby on
  • Can't wait to get him and run him behind BWP for my Red Bulls team
  • mjs4p
    11095 posts Has That Special Something
    I approve of this challenge! :+1:

I can't wait to own him, but realistically he probably won't be in my club for good until Black Friday at the earliest, or TOTY at the latest.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Please dont substitute Martial for him
  • James Libby
    mjs4p wrote: »
    I approve of this challenge! :+1:

I can't wait to own him, but realistically he probably won't be in my club for good until Black Friday at the earliest, or TOTY at the latest.

It's a long road, but well worth traveling. I have no doubt you'll have him before you know it.

Make sure you come back and post some of your goals when you get him!
  • James Libby
    Peter wrote: »
    Please dont substitute Martial for him

I would never.
  • James Libby
    Can't wait to get him and run him behind BWP for my Red Bulls team

That seems a bit harsh on the Goat, no?
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    Will also be attempting to do this but not spending a single penny on the game this year, so it is unlikely I’ll ever get enough coins for his prime
  • M98H
    13727 posts Has That Special Something
    52aec249-75f6-4ee1-a9ec-1e3f19a38e40.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=725l1GT%2BTGTYP01HxAeZwMHh7QJho%2FyKv%2BLRQ3sLoJ8%3D
    Give me the prime SBC of this beaut and I'll definitely do a road to 1000 goals!
  • Falafelmonster
    4939 posts National Call-Up
    OP - very well and entertainingly written!
  • James Libby
    Give me the prime SBC of this beaut and I'll definitely do a road to 1000 goals!

@MH1203

Hit me up when you get him - maybe if I have Henry by then we can race!

• James Libby
    OP - very well and entertainingly written!

Thanks man!
  • James Libby
    edited September 2017
    The History

Listen, nothing is more obnoxious than another stout-hearted Arsenal fan. One who wants to talk your ear off about the glory days of olde like that assuages any of the club’s present infirmities… but one of the amazing things that always struck me about that era in football was… the admiration. The coy, controlled, diffident-but-delighted praise that it seemed fans of ALL teams used to share with me and around me about the Gunners, the Invincibles, and most of all, about Thierry Henry.

So, what I propose is thus: I will stick to talking about playing with Henry in FIFA, and let’s try and keep the Arsenal flaming to a minimum. Or at least only after really bad (and deserved) losses, eh?

My story playing with Henry begins in earnest in FIFA 2002. Of course, back then, he was very likely the best player in the game (or at least one of them) and I scored thousands and thousands of goals with him, mostly on my friends, for free – and he, and I, were legend.

I didn’t get into Ultimate Team until FIFA 2012 – but in-between those dates, I used nothing but Arsenal or France in FIFA. Of course, early on these were two of the best teams in the game, but as time passed and Arsenal looked upon dire days, I proudly played with Adebayor, Arshavin, and Gervinho – standing by my team under all circumstances.

And playing with France helped me to get my Henry itch AND this also segued perfectly into my first year playing Ultimate team. You’ll remember, most of you, that in FIFA 2012 Henry got a special Arsenal Card. I cannot tell you how scared I was when he came back. “Why risk it? Why put your all-but-unblemished legacy on the line… for this?” – and, by gawd, I fell to my knees when he actually scored, viciously indignant that anyone had ever doubted him.

And, by gawd, when that card dropped I had to have it. Played with it - surrounded by a team of Arsenal IF’s - and just pwned noobs like it was my job. Then his 83 IF dropped for the Red Bulls and I made a sick France team around that card for DOUBLE Goat gunning. It was Goat for breakfast, Goat for lunch, and Goat for Dinner and dessert and I was in heaven.

fcl8xk.png
    But playing with Henry after that year? It was hard work. As he slowly sank in ranking (for Red Bulls, mind you), I could only hold out for the inevitable MLS-TOTS card and hope my friends were still playing FUT by that time of the year so as to try and make them eat their words for doubting the Goat – but many, if not all, of them DID eat their words.
    It was hard work learning the nuance of Henry’s card – no longer the blistering pace-merchant with devastating agility and raw finishing of his youth – but I did it lovingly. I held the card in the crux of my hand and felt it’s weight, luxuriating in my time with the Goat – making a NEW legend – one in addition to his glittering playing career – a ghost, a ghoul, an apparition in Henry’s visage, at my beck and call, destroying filthy casuals, converting the non-devout; leaving a slow, steady stream of Goat disciples in my wake.

zuqr21.jpg

And before I knew it, it was his last year - the party was over. All I could do was make the finest French team possible in FIFA 2015 and make it my mission to do nothing but score Henry goals – and score Henry goals I did, by gawd.

2ynkraf.jpg

There was an all-France tournament at the end of the year, and I stayed up all night one night, finally winning it on (I think) my tenth and final try with – get this – a five-goal Henry game. He ran absolute riot and I was so ecstatic, honed-in, and hyped I woke my wife up screaming in triumph.

20h8wf6.jpg

My body racked with the throes of victory, and insane levels of junk-food and cheap caffeine slowly starting to wear off, with the stark, unforgiving first rays of morning coming through the windows, birds chirping brightly, announcing a new day as I was ingratiating a temporary death in the form of much-needed sleep, I said to myself:
    May
    He
    Ride
    Again

And, gentlemen, he shall.

Post edited by James Libby on
  • CornishLad
    24290 posts Club Captain
    Ohhh this my type of thread. Good luck getting him. I too may be in the market for him (only if I get him for a good price, not sure if I wanna pay 1M)
  • CornishLad
    24290 posts Club Captain
    Ohhh this my type of thread. Good luck getting him. I too may be in the market for him (only if I get him for a good price, not sure if I wanna pay 1M)
  • James Libby

CornishLad wrote: »

Cornish! A legend thread LEGEND.

I'm also flummoxed over the price - a mil seems like a lot for an 87 winger. If you do end up getting him, let me know - let's have a goat-off!
  • CornishLad
    24290 posts Club Captain
    CornishLad wrote: »

Cornish! A legend thread LEGEND.

I'm also flummoxed over the price - a mil seems like a lot for an 87 winger. If you do end up getting him, let me know - let's have a goat-off!

:joy::joy: Yeah wish I paid 750 the other day but oh well live and learn. Doubt I'll get the 90 as I'm not putting more points on and not good at trading this year. If I get the 87 though I'll definitely let you know, see which is better :wink:
  • DoD_Jester
    27225 posts Player of the Year
    Love the way this thead is set out

All the best for your 'goating'
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    1PbiPC.gif
  • CovLee_Candice
    4475 posts National Call-Up
    You inspired me dude. Might pick one icon and do the same but maybe I am in road to 500 goals. Do you play division/wl/dko/fut champs/tournament?
  • Khalabeeb
    727 posts Sunday League Hero
    PochBall wrote: »
    1PbiPC.gif

Allow it fam
  • James Libby
    DoD_Jester wrote: »
    Love the way this thead is set out

All the best for your 'goating'

Cheers mate!
  • James Libby
    You inspired me dude. Might pick one icon and do the same but maybe I am in road to 500 goals. Do you play division/wl/dko/fut champs/tournament?

I mostly play online seasons. I played a bunch of WL/FUTchamps at the beginning of last year, but it was just too much of a grind. One Sunday I had like 20+ games to get in and I sat there from 9am to 10pm. My wife left me a cold quesadilla for dinner and I took that as a sign - divine providence in a 'dilla that it was just too much!
  • James Libby
    Khalabeeb wrote: »
    PochBall wrote: »
    1PbiPC.gif

Allow it fam

Thanks for the pass, Khala - I saw your team (I believe) in the ICONS thread - good luck with Gullit!
  • Kai9623
    6808 posts Big Money Move
    GL :)
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    This will be interesting, good luck : )
  • Sanchezzzz
    4461 posts National Call-Up
    Also in the market for the goat good luck <3
  • Kieren1888
    1726 posts Play-Off Hero
    I will be buying and scoring atleast a 1000 goals with the real goat Larsson. Hopefully prime Larsson is available very soon. Good luck.
  • James Libby
    Kai9623 wrote: »
    GL :)

Thanks mate!
  • James Libby
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    This will be interesting, good luck : )

Another forum LEGEND gives the Road to the Goat their blessing!

Thanks Coatsy!