FIFA 18 MANUAL DEFENDING IS BROKEN

urubuinflamante
897 posts An Exciting Prospect
I KNOW people here are repeating the usual "git gud" answers, urging people to "learn manual defending", but how to "manual defending" if the game is totally biased towards offense?

I am for manual defending, and I am not for sucessive patches, but this is something EA needs to know: Defending is broken.

These are the main issues (ON PC):

Input delay when defending. You stop flicking LS and defender still moves. Press LT doesn't help. In FIFA 17, press LT player stops into jockeying. This is delayed on DEMO.

Player switching broken. Switching with RS is unreliable.

Manual interceptions are broken. Passes go through defenders' legs.

And finally... manual tackling is broken.

TLDR: They should patch asap or we will see Football turning into Basketball all year long.

Comments

• sinasipahioglu7
    1860 posts Play-Off Hero
    Defending is totally fine , you just suck ...
    F17 babied an entire generation by its super auto defending system
  • urubuinflamante

My demo impression is totally opposed. Defending is delayed and broken. Played on PC.
  • urubuinflamante

And every match I've seen between pros on YT had scores of 5-4, 6-5... These unrealistic scores are the proof that defending is broken and should be patched asap.
  • Menaceuk
    1399 posts Professional

And every match I've seen between pros on YT had scores of 5-4, 6-5... These unrealistic scores are the proof that defending is broken and should be patched asap.

Pros are tertible at defending though, always have been. Hdnce why they are all cheap, sweaty players.

The defending is fine, though. You need to be patient and not get too close. Once you get it, it is actually fairly easy keeping goals against you low.

• Ball man
    408 posts Sunday League Hero

My demo impression is totally opposed. Defending is delayed and broken. Played on PC.

It not broken i played the game with EA access ( xbox one) and PC origin access. Defending is fine. Goalkeeping needs work.
  • Vitto7
    165 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I KNOW people here are repeating the usual "git gud" answers, urging people to "learn manual defending", but how to "manual defending" if the game is totally biased towards offense?

I am for manual defending, and I am not for sucessive patches, but this is something EA needs to know: Defending is broken.

Input delay when defending. You stop flicking LS and defender still moves. Press LT doesn't help. In FIFA 17, press LT player stops into jockeying. This is delayed on DEMO.

TLDR: They should patch asap or we will see Football turning into Basketball all year long.

probably you have great input delay, same me and my friends
  • blue9
    935 posts Professional
    Get good
  • BiigDee
    4339 posts National Call-Up
    Defenders do disappear a little but track back and jockey and you will be fine. It's the goal keepers that are broken....
  • tommy88
    21 posts Last Pick at the Park
    All these kn** jockeys havent got a clue...its either imput delay or the "handicap." Its been happening since fifa 14 and ea arnt bothered because you r***** will keep buying it year in year out
  • urubuinflamante
    Vitto7 wrote: »

probably you have great input delay, same me and my friends

Yes. This is a possibility.

I've noted some stuttering and sliding had some delay.
  • urubuinflamante
    blue9 wrote: »
    Get good

Game should be better. Now it's totally biased towards attacking/offense.

If I want to play virtual basketball, NBA2K should be a better option.
  • urubuinflamante
    edited September 2017
    BiigDee wrote: »
    Defenders do disappear a little but track back and jockey and you will be fine. It's the goal keepers that are broken....

You are probably right, but these issues I mentioned on OP are priorities for me. One of them is the delay to defender stop moving and enter into jockey movement. It seems defenders have too much inertia. This is a pain in the a** when blocking passes/shots.

And EVEN when I can read opponent and place defender in right position, pass goes through the legs of my defender.
  • urubuinflamante
    edited September 2017
    tommy88 wrote: »
    All these kn** jockeys havent got a clue...its either imput delay or the "handicap." Its been happening since fifa 14 and ea arnt bothered because you r***** will keep buying it year in year out

I did not buy the game at the moment. All these issues on OP are critical to me. Thanks anyways.
  • FIFA18 Manual Defending is so much better than FIFA17 where the AI would do everything for you and it's so much more skilled i'm so happy E.A actually toned down Defending a ton.

Only issues I feel now with the game is passing is far too easy, FIFA16 passing was fine it required skill but so far i'm liking FIFA18.
  • urubuinflamante
    People start blaming broken defense for basketball scorelines on reddit.
  • Andyvalver
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I'd say there is definatley something not right with defending. I have been playing FIFA for over a decade. I have played all types of ways over the years, from full manual and semi assisted to full assisted. So far on FIFA 18 I find the defending is just sluggish. There are times when the ai just leaves the back door open or just fail to tackle. I feel it's the momentum part of the game. I think they should find a way to get rid of it. I have played some games on FIFA 18 where everything is going fine despite me playing the way I always do. But I can tell my opponent is having a nightmare and he's having the problems I am probably about to have in the second half when the game randomly decides to give the other guy a chance. And so the tables turn. When I win or lose I want it on my terms, not some momentum bs created to cause some drama.
  • GoonerSoldier
    366 posts Sunday League Hero
    Oh look, another post about manual defending... But as soon as I call these fanboys for playing on AUTO pass and shoot they go missing. Hypocrites, who can't see the game is broken and only plays well on FULL MANUAL.
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1149 posts Professional
    edited September 2017
    Oh look, another post about manual defending... But as soon as I call these fanboys for playing on AUTO pass and shoot they go missing. Hypocrites, who can't see the game is broken and only plays well on FULL MANUAL.

Even even Pro players play on assisted controls not (Manual) hardly anybody uses Manual.. just because people use assisted controls doesn't mean they're bad at the game.

The way you talk makes it sound as if the Manual players are superior um no get some logic lad. :D you're the most clueless clown in town.
  • KaverHansen
    432 posts Sunday League Hero

Its actually messed up in that way the ai reacts now.

Whenever theres a pass going past one of my players which i dont control, he will NEVER go for the ball, and as i can only control one player at a tine this results in so many easy goals.

That and sometimes, mainly when jockeyinf my player moves in a direction of his own.
  • RadioShaq
    15099 posts Moderator

Even even Pro players play on assisted controls not (Manual) hardly anybody uses Manual.. just because people use assisted controls doesn't mean they're bad at the game.

The way you talk makes it sound as if the Manual players are superior um no get some logic lad. :D you're the most clueless clown in town.

How can you want defense to be manual but are fine with doing nothing on offense. Your being a hypocrite of all your posts last year. It's so out of balance they need to eithe have offense be manual or crank up the defense like in 17
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    11404 posts Has That Special Something
    Tbh defending is fine and it's now how it should have been all along and the people complaining and saying it's broken are obviously the ones that sat all last year letting the AI defend and playing ptb and getting a lucky counter and then thinking they are actually good at the game but it seems alot of people know they're arse from they're elbow now and they are getting exposed.

The only thing broken is the keepers and I know people always say this cards broken or that cards broken but keepers literally are broken they can't save anything usually there's one or maybe 2 op shooting techniques but this year every type of shot is op no matter what type of shot may it be finesse from distance, low driven, long range power shots or even lobbed balls the keepers just watch them go in but all in all the games is a massive improvement from last year thank god.
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1149 posts Professional
    edited September 2017
    RadioShaq wrote: »

How can you want defense to be manual but are fine with doing nothing on offense. Your being a hypocrite of all your posts last year. It's so out of balance they need to eithe have offense be manual or crank up the defense like in 17

90% of players play on assisted for attacking you clueless clown.. like I said you think every person that plays with Manual controls is superior to the rest hahaha you're deluded. :D :D Manual Defence, and harder passing is fine you don't have a clue about competitive play in general.

"Crank up the Defence like 17" - You do realise how unskilled that FIFA was? the skill-gap was tiny, FIFA18 is good right now with Manual Defence it actually requires skill you're probably one of those noobs who let the AI Defend for them. :D
  • RadioShaq
    15099 posts Moderator
    I don't blame ea when they shrink the skill gap it's on the community.
  • RadioShaq wrote: »

FIFA18 has a bigger skill-gap than FIFA17 you're honestly clueless. :D
  • RadioShaq
    15099 posts Moderator
    I said when as in a patch or even next year.
  • :D :D :D
  • urubuinflamante

This can be argued.

If it's true the game turn into Basketball, people will start to spam commands.

Ping-pong passing, close next to the goal, shoot and score, exploiting laziness/sluggishness of defense and ultra/hyper/super/duper fast and error-free gameplay on offense.

There is no skill in spamming commands.
  • urubuinflamante
    It's only a matter of time people blame ping-pong passing on the levels of FIFA 11.
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1149 posts Professional
    edited September 2017

This can be argued.

If it's true the game turn into Basketball, people will start to spam commands.

Ping-pong passing, close next to the goal, shoot and score, exploiting laziness/sluggishness of defense and ultra/hyper/super/duper fast and error-free gameplay on offense.

There is no skill in spamming commands.

Passing is easier than FIFA17 I agree, E.A need to make passing harder and remove 360 passes with the next gameplay patch but i'm not sure if they'll change passing.

The game does have issues, Goalkeepers are far too weak especially from longshots.

But overall when you compare it to FIFA17 the game is far more skilled, Defending is much more Manual you can't just run back with your midfielders to Defend and let the AI Defend the players who did that will get exposed.

I can argue the game has a far bigger skill-gap than 17, it's obvious lol even Pro players have said the same thing the thing which was most annoying about 17 was the Auto Defending that's now gone you have to switch players much more in FIFA18 it's more skilled.

Changes are needed in the next patch but the signs are good when you compare it to FIFA17.

• QuidoFrontiere
    276 posts Sunday League Hero

My ladt games was 0:0 and 1:1. Defending is good when u know ho to defend.