The J-A-C-K Lounge (J-League, A-League, CSL, K-League)

Comments

• RayS
    25555 posts Player of the Year
    Kagawa to Zaragoza.

Bundesliga to Superlig to Spanish Second division... Kagawa is heading toward retirement I guess.
  • hellodee
    398 posts Sunday League Hero
    RayS wrote: »
    Kagawa to Zaragoza.

Bundesliga to Superlig to Spanish Second division... Kagawa is heading toward retirement I guess.

Hes not that old
  • nakamuramartin
    301 posts Sunday League Hero
    Consodole absolutely pounded S-Pulse Hat-trick from Jay and 2g 2a from Chanathip should see an inform from that match.
  • Tesco
    6544 posts Big Money Move
    Consodole absolutely pounded S-Pulse Hat-trick from Jay and 2g 2a from Chanathip should see an inform from that match.

Shame Chanathip doesn't have his skill moves
  • Ryno
    6143 posts Big Money Move

Was at the match. Absolutely blown away by just how decimated Shimizu werw
  • nakamuramartin
    Kubo to Mallorca!!! He'll be in FIFA 20!
  • nakamuramartin
    Hotaru Yamaguchi and Kyogo Furuhashi both score twice and assist as Kobe smash Tosu !
  • BayernBru
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited August 23
    Hi all,

Recently discovered the Rakuten Sports app so watched my first ever J league game today- Sagan Tosu v Vissel Kobe. Have got a few questions and thought this thread would be a good place to ask them.

Before the game I checked the table out and was naturally expecting a tight and tense game with how close the teams were and how important the game was in terms of the relegation battle. Was shocked with how one sided it turned out. Were people surprised too or was the result expected?

Also I was surprised with how obsessed Sagan were with playing the ball out from and around the back. I was expecting it from Vissel as I'm aware of their Barcelona links, but couldn't understand Sagan persisting with it when they couldn't do it effectively at all and when it was causing them so many problems. Is patient build up play from the back a common feature of Japanese clubs?

I've got plenty more questions but I'll leave it at that for now, before I bore you all.

• Ryno
    edited August 24
    BayernBru wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently discovered the Rakuten Sports app so watched my first ever J league game today- Sagan Tosu v Vissel Kobe. Have got a few questions and thought this thread would be a good place to ask them.

Before the game I checked the table out and was naturally expecting a tight and tense game with how close the teams were and how important the game was in terms of the relegation battle. Was shocked with how one sided it turned out. Were people surprised too or was the result expected?

Also I was surprised with how obsessed Sagan were with playing the ball out from and around the back. I was expecting it from Vissel as I'm aware of their Barcelona links, but couldn't understand Sagan persisting with it when they couldn't do it effectively at all and when it was causing them so many problems. Is patient build up play from the back a common feature of Japanese clubs?

I've got plenty more questions but I'll leave it at that for now, before I bore you all.

Hey @BayernBru thanks for checking out the thread!

Sagan have proven to be a team that is consistently all over the place tactically and certain teams throughout the season have exploited that with great effect. Kobe has an immense amount of firepower in there squad, although there position in the table doesn't exactly show that. Thus, a game like this was the perfect explosion that a team like Kobe needed to show off what they can do. Some also say that Tosu tried really hard to force late goals to Torres, so the scoreline may be deceiving, but Im of the mindset that Tosu really were just that poor on the night, tactically speaking.

Japanese football isn't always patient, but it very much TRIES to be technical. Teams like Kashima and Yokohama have styles of play that are fast and attempt to counter down the wings upon getting possession, but most teams aim to swing the ball around the defensive and midfield third, before making any major forward progress via a long switch in play, or by breaking the opposition's defensive line. Tosu very much falls into the majority in that they aim to play patiently, but do so by playing from the back and also aim to include the goalkeeper in their possession in order to add a man further up the field. However, the reason I highlighted the word tries in the first sentence of this paragraph was because teams like Tosu aim to be very technical on the ball, but usually lack a consistent ability to do so. All teams in Japan suffer as a result of being unpolished compared to high level European counterparts, so teams with respectable tactics and technical ideology, usually end up looking the fool when it all goes to ****. A majority of Japanese clubs also seem to fall victim to the cultural ideology of "dying on the sword you drew", so to speak, in that, clubs rarely change their tactics, even if it means their downfall over the course of the season. Tosu's constant struggle this season despite very strong attacking personnel is very much an example of that.

Sorry if that was longer than you wanted, but feel free to ask more! I'm currently in Japan on holiday and have the privilege of watching 19 games over the course of my 2 month stay, so I'd like to say I have at least some knowledge of JLeague things at this point
  • RayS
    Dannnng @Ryno 2 months and 19 games?? So jealous! Sounds like a total blast. You getting other good experienced there too? How'd the food?
  • Ryno
    Dannnng @Ryno 2 months and 19 games?? So jealous! Sounds like a total blast. You getting other good experienced there too? How'd the food?

Japan is amazing. Many good views and brilliant food. Going to miss it when I leave.

Typical matchday involves sushi for lunch, Japanese curry rice before the match, and a nice snack from a convenience store afterwards. Can't beat it
  • BayernBru
    Ryno wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sagan have proven to be a team that is consistently all over the place tactically and certain teams throughout the season have exploited that with great effect. Kobe has an immense amount of firepower in there squad, although there position in the table doesn't exactly show that. Thus, a game like this was the perfect explosion that a team like Kobe needed to show off what they can do. Some also say that Tosu tried really hard to force late goals to Torres, so the scoreline may be deceiving, but Im of the mindset that Tosu really were just that poor on the night, tactically speaking.

Japanese football isn't always patient, but it very much TRIES to be technical. Teams like Kashima and Yokohama have styles of play that are fast and attempt to counter down the wings upon getting possession, but most teams aim to swing the ball around the defensive and midfield third, before making any major forward progress via a long switch in play, or by breaking the opposition's defensive line. Tosu very much falls into the majority in that they aim to play patiently, but do so by playing from the back and also aim to include the goalkeeper in their possession in order to add a man further up the field. However, the reason I highlighted the word tries in the first sentence of this paragraph was because teams like Tosu aim to be very technical on the ball, but usually lack a consistent ability to do so. All teams in Japan suffer as a result of being unpolished compared to high level European counterparts, so teams with respectable tactics and technical ideology, usually end up looking the fool when it all goes to ****. A majority of Japanese clubs also seem to fall victim to the cultural ideology of "dying on the sword you drew", so to speak, in that, clubs rarely change their tactics, even if it means their downfall over the course of the season. Tosu's constant struggle this season despite very strong attacking personnel is very much an example of that.

Sorry if that was longer than you wanted, but feel free to ask more! I'm currently in Japan on holiday and have the privilege of watching 19 games over the course of my 2 month stay, so I'd like to say I have at least some knowledge of JLeague things at this point

Thanks for the reply @Ryno

Before checking the table and reading into things, I was expecting Kobe to be challenging at the top or there abouts and Sagan to be not too far behind considering what they've invested.

Thought Kobe were entertaining to watch but I've not watched any other J league games to put the performance itself into context. Also I think with how poorly Sagan played, anyone could of looked good playing against them. Was a joy to see Iniesta working his magic again though. Thought Kobe would struggle a little after he went off injured, as he was the one starting off all their attacks and controlling the game for them, but they adjusted well.

You know the half time entertainment with the singer and the cheerleaders, is that a common thing in Japanese football or was that related to the game being Torres' last? And the same with the fans, is it usual for such large and vocal crowds in the league?

Also the way Torres' fairwell was handled made me cringe. Seems very strange to give someone who's walking out midway through a tough season such a send off, especially when it looks like he's massively unperformed and not justified his huge wages. In Europe I would expect most players in Torres' situation would get treated completely the opposite to how Torres was. Is this a cultural thing or was it just down to how big a coup getting someone of Torres' calibre in the first place was for Sagan?

Anyway your holiday sounds great. Have never been to Japan but definitely somewhere I want to visit. Looks such a beautiful and interesting country.

• RayS

Japan is amazing. Many good views and brilliant food. Going to miss it when I leave.

Typical matchday involves sushi for lunch, Japanese curry rice before the match, and a nice snack from a convenience store afterwards. Can't beat it

I loved those convenience store snacks! Especially the rice balls
  • Ryno
    Hi all,

Before checking the table and reading into things, I was expecting Kobe to be challenging at the top or there abouts and Sagan to be not too far behind considering what they've invested.

Thought Kobe were entertaining to watch but I've not watched any other J league games to put the performance itself into context. Also I think with how poorly Sagan played, anyone could of looked good playing against them. Was a joy to see Iniesta working his magic again though. Thought Kobe would struggle a little after he went off injured, as he was the one starting off all their attacks and controlling the game for them, but they adjusted well.

You know the half time entertainment with the singer and the cheerleaders, is that a common thing in Japanese football or was that related to the game being Torres' last? And the same with the fans, is it usual for such large and vocal crowds in the league?

Also the way Torres' fairwell was handled made me cringe. Seems very strange to give someone who's walking out midway through a tough season such a send off, especially when it looks like he's massively unperformed and not justified his huge wages. In Europe I would expect most players in Torres' situation would get treated completely the opposite to how Torres was. Is this a cultural thing or was it just down to how big a coup getting someone of Torres' calibre in the first place was for Sagan?

Anyway your holiday sounds great. Have never been to Japan but definitely somewhere I want to visit. Looks such a beautiful and interesting country.

- Cheerleaders have been at nearly every stadium I have been to for half time performances. Some are treated like idols by the team's fans, as far as I'm aware. Crowds in Japan are amongst the best in the world in my opinion. I've been to the Old Trafford and the Bernabeau and I'd put Japanese stadiums in the same league as them. They are always vocal the whole 90 minutes and it's due to a deep respect for their team.

- It's mostly due to the caliber of player Torres was and how he bolstered attendance and interest in the Tosu brand. Japanese culture also gives great respect to those who have a lot of influence, regardless of their true abilities. So even though Torres hasn't been in his prime for years, and his prime didn't last THAT long, he is still held in a very high regard because of his peak.
  • nakamuramartin
    Kobe have tried to buy success but they forgot you cannot do it without a quality backbone and general, typical club designs.

There is a reason that for example Kashima manage to sell so many players and maintain a title and Champions league challenge when they have Sho Ito up front. They have a philosophy that Kobe can only dream of. Kashima know how to win, even if they haven't won the league for a few years, they are so often dangerous and can never be counted out.

Yo his credit, Iniesta has been a revelation. But a poor midfield, badly behaved Podolski and leaky defence hasn't helped. Poldi was absolutely the wrong player to buy, he's far too arrogant to really succeed in Japan.
  • BayernBru
    Hi all,

- Cheerleaders have been at nearly every stadium I have been to for half time performances. Some are treated like idols by the team's fans, as far as I'm aware. Crowds in Japan are amongst the best in the world in my opinion. I've been to the Old Trafford and the Bernabeau and I'd put Japanese stadiums in the same league as them. They are always vocal the whole 90 minutes and it's due to a deep respect for their team.

- It's mostly due to the caliber of player Torres was and how he bolstered attendance and interest in the Tosu brand. Japanese culture also gives great respect to those who have a lot of influence, regardless of their true abilities. So even though Torres hasn't been in his prime for years, and his prime didn't last THAT long, he is still held in a very high regard because of his peak.

Thanks for getting back to me and for the info @Ryno

Going to try and watch more J league games, now that I've got access to it, so I'll try and get involved with the discussion in here where I can and hopefully learn a bit more too.

Will also try and get involved with any A league chat once the leagues back up and running, as I do watch their games when I get a chance.
  • BayernBru
    Kobe have tried to buy success but they forgot you cannot do it without a quality backbone and general, typical club designs.

There is a reason that for example Kashima manage to sell so many players and maintain a title and Champions league challenge when they have Sho Ito up front. They have a philosophy that Kobe can only dream of. Kashima know how to win, even if they haven't won the league for a few years, they are so often dangerous and can never be counted out.

Yo his credit, Iniesta has been a revelation. But a poor midfield, badly behaved Podolski and leaky defence hasn't helped. Poldi was absolutely the wrong player to buy, he's far too arrogant to really succeed in Japan.

@nakamuramartin what actually happened with Podolski and is he totally out of the picture now at Kobe? I've got a bit of a soft spot for FC Köln, so was looking forward to seeing Podolski play again. Was surprised when I didn't see him in the line up or on the bench the other day, so had a quick look online and looks like he's had a bit of falling out with the club?

• CosmicDance
    571 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Wow on the in depth view of J League football @Ryno

I've recently got back from Japan and managed to see one game while I was there. Kashima Antlers vs Gamba... Was an experience! To say the fans are friendly is an understatement! I was stuck jumping for the whole 90 minutes. Awesome time!

Now I'm back with FIFA, one week left. So I have a decent team, I'm playing 4-4-2. I'm already going to sub on Shoya Nakajima as a striker, but who else should I use as the second striker?

I've thought about Miyoshi, Nakagawa... I don't have SBC Honda as this is my PlayStation account. Any suggestions are welcome from the whole JACK database.

• RayS

I've recently got back from Japan and managed to see one game while I was there. Kashima Antlers vs Gamba... Was an experience! To say the fans are friendly is an understatement! I was stuck jumping for the whole 90 minutes. Awesome time!

Now I'm back with FIFA, one week left. So I have a decent team, I'm playing 4-4-2. I'm already going to sub on Shoya Nakajima as a striker, but who else should I use as the second striker?

I've thought about Miyoshi, Nakagawa... I don't have SBC Honda as this is my PlayStation account. Any suggestions are welcome from the whole JACK database.

You looking at purely a Japanese option?

MOTM Miyoshi or Nakagawa probably best. Consider IF Kubo too. he's got a nice agility and movement.

IF Suzuki is a nice taller target man option.
  • CosmicDance

You looking at purely a Japanese option?

MOTM Miyoshi or Nakagawa probably best. Consider IF Kubo too. he's got a nice agility and movement.

IF Suzuki is a nice taller target man option.

Nah, I'll use anybody from the whole JACK playing field. Nakajima I'm sold on, he scored 5 goals in one rivals match.

I'm open to suggestions. I'd bang Roy Krishna upfront, but I don't want two small guys.
  • CosmicDance
    Oh yeah, that Yamaguchi card would have been handy about 30 weeks ago!

Still going to use him though, he looks decent.
  • Ryno

@nakamuramartin what actually happened with Podolski and is he totally out of the picture now at Kobe? I've got a bit of a soft spot for FC Köln, so was looking forward to seeing Podolski play again. Was surprised when I didn't see him in the line up or on the bench the other day, so had a quick look online and looks like he's had a bit of falling out with the club?

Podolski had a lengthy absence from the team to recover from an injury of some sort and was in Europe for the treatment. He returned a week or so ago to the team and should be returning to the 18 within due time. I haven't heard anything regarding a falling out, but also haven't kept to up to date with his situation.
  • nakamuramartin
    Poldi has indeed been injured but fans were getting on his back due to lack of effort and poor results. He showed poor leadership and generally attitude. Iniesta has absolutely shown him up since his arrival but ultimately they're a disjointed squad, another loss this weekend.

Osako gets two from CAM so if there is another TOTW he has a strong chance due to only Werner scoring more than him this weekend in Germany.
  • Ryno
    Poldi has indeed been injured but fans were getting on his back due to lack of effort and poor results. He showed poor leadership and generally attitude. Iniesta has absolutely shown him up since his arrival but ultimately they're a disjointed squad, another loss this weekend.

Osako gets two from CAM so if there is another TOTW he has a strong chance due to only Werner scoring more than him this weekend in Germany.

They absolutely shouldn't have lost that game. The refs completely screwed them over. I was there and they looked really decent throughout the game, they just got complacent each time they scored and were ultimately very unlucky not to at least get a point.
  • nakamuramartin
    Still not performing especially well though.
  • nakamuramartin
    Okazaki without a club now as Malaga could not pay him or thereabouts.
  • BayernBru
    @Ryno @nakamuramartin I read Podolski relinquished the captaincy and posted the following message on twitter a while back "Stop expecting loyalty from people who can't even give you honesty." Guessing things went on behind the scenes?

I watched their game at the weekend. Thought Kobe were the slightly better team on the day but Sapporo did well and made it very difficult for Kobe to play through the middle. Kobe looked like they really could of done with Iniesta. Any idea when he's due back?

Was surprised with Kobe's "plan B" though of just sub on as many attackers as possible and seemingly hope for the best.

That was the second J league game I've watched and I've been shocked with how poor some of the defending has been. Is defending generally of poor quality across the league or is it just a coincidence with the games I've watched?

On a positive note though, the games have been very entertaining and the fans are brilliant!
  • Ryno
    edited September 4
    @Ryno @nakamuramartin I read Podolski relinquished the captaincy and posted the following message on twitter a while back "Stop expecting loyalty from people who can't even give you honesty." Guessing things went on behind the scenes?

I watched their game at the weekend. Thought Kobe were the slightly better team on the day but Sapporo did well and made it very difficult for Kobe to play through the middle. Kobe looked like they really could of done with Iniesta. Any idea when he's due back?

Was surprised with Kobe's "plan B" though of just sub on as many attackers as possible and seemingly hope for the best.

That was the second J league game I've watched and I've been shocked with how poor some of the defending has been. Is defending generally of poor quality across the league or is it just a coincidence with the games I've watched?

On a positive note though, the games have been very entertaining and the fans are brilliant!

- Podolski came in as the first major foreign signing and immediately was given the burden of captaincy and leadership. I believe it was high likely a clash of heads occurred. However, an optimistic outside theory of the situation could be that Podolski felt as if he wasn't the leading the team in the right direction as captain, and personally felt he couldn't do the job of captain to the degree that was necessary. We will never know exactly what happened, though Podolski's tendency to have an enlarged ego and be very direct in his displeasure leads me to believe the optimistic theory isn't true.

- I was at the game in Kobe and felt that Kobe were very hard done by the referee in that match, but were definitely missing a strong midfield presence, something that was fully realized by subbing out Sergio Samper, someone you'd believe to be the best of the midfield bunch in Iniesta's absence. Therefore, when your supposed best replacement isn't doing his job, you know something is wrong. If I remember correctly, the injury is apparently a torn hamstring, so my guess is at least another month or two.

- Kobe were piling on the pressure in a 3 at the back system and bypassing the center of midfield in a lot of cases towards the end of the game anyway. They had lots of big men up in attacking positions and plenty of clinical finishers on the field, I think the Plan B made sense given the tide of the game at that point.

- Defending the past two weeks throughout the league has been more shocking than usual, but defensive and goalkeeping errors are very common in Japan. It's as a part of the Japanese game as anything, so its to be expected. Another case of the Japanese having a very good tactical understanding, but struggling to perform such tactics and the necessary technical aspects. This is also pushed further by the league's clubs usually having much stronger attacks than defenses. Only a few teams such as Tokyo and Cerezo Osaka are truly balanced from front to back in terms of ability.

- Glad youre enjoying the league and are able to watch some games. Any standout players on your radar now? Starting to gravitate towards a team as a your favorite?
  • RayS
    edited September 4
    Got our IF Osako. Definitely an improvement over our next best special Japanese striker, Suzuki.

• nakamuramartin
    Such a shame it's at the end of FIFA and not the start of 20! Still, happy he is there.