El_Nino wrote: »
    fergoosee wrote: »
    heard mcginn was great again tonight @Hibee must be buzzing

Unreal, 100% will move to a top team in the next few years. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly wrong or a deluded Celtic fan and just jealous they missed out.

Hibee will love this post but I’ve agreed with him for sometime now. The boys a player and has found a real level of consistency which he lacked at Hibs and does in a Scotland shirt but that will come.

He’s had two good games in a proper league, could easily be another Aaron Mooy.

Difference is I’ve watched him more times than you’ve watched Aaron Mooy.

On your bike xx

Yeah you’ve watched him more in your league. As I stated he’s had two good games in a proper league, far less than Aaron Mooy managed.

He’s got some way to go before he can even be compared to Aaron Mooy...

I’ve watched him in every league he’s played in wee man.

Like I says on yer bike.

‘Wee man’ ‘on yer bike’
    Your such a child 😂 rather than have an adult conversation you state that you’ve watched him play in a vastly inferior league more than I have, well great, that’s almost meaningless now he’s in the prem but cool.

You come across as someone impossible to have an actual conversation with, more suited to play-ground level bickering.

I’m taking the ****, I couldn’t give a toss what you think. You’ve named yourself after Torres that says it all.

I don’t think seeing someone play in another league is meaningless. That’s like saying watching Ronaldo play in Spain is now meaningless now he plays in Italy or watching De Jong play in Holland is now meaningless cause he plays in Spain.

If I’ve watched more of a player then surely I’m going to know more about that player than you? Just like if you watched someone else more than me then you’re going to know more about them are you or am I wrong? Simple logic.

The Ronaldo comparison is an awful one, if Ronaldo did well in the championship then I wouldn’t rate him from that... same way I won’t rate McGinn for his time in the Championship/SPL as neither can compare to the prem.

Can’t see what my forum name has to
    Do with anything, I guess standard childish attempt at an insult.

It isn’t at all, it’s going by your logic that if someone moves leagues their time there becomes meaningless. That’s surely applies for anyone? You can’t just have it for select players surely that only fits your agenda?

One rule for all not one rule for who you want.

Christ how hard is it to explain?
    Going from La liga to Serie A isn’t the same buts it’s a similar standard, therefore it’s worth taking note of how the player performed in each.

Going from SPL to the Prem is absolutely worlds apart, hence why his time in the SPL means incredibly little.

Scott Sinclair looked like a class player in the SPL for Christ sake, Mcginns form there doesn’t mean a lot to if he’ll succeed at a high level club.

Well let’s add,

Van Dijk
    Robertson
    Wanyama

All players to move from up here to the premier league and two are arguably the best centre back and left back in the world. Therefore your logic is meaningless, you’re taking a certain group of players rather than a whole to compare. You’re using the ones that fit your agenda and not the ones that don’t.

Tierney will smash the league as well with Arsenal.

Good god your difficult. I’m not trying to say no decent players ever came from SPL, I’m saying it’s a lottery, you can’t possible judge a player of there performance in the SPL when talking about them being signed by top teams around the world.

Jamie Vardy came from non league football, that doesn’t mean ever lad bagging a hatrick at Sunday league level should be talked about as the next big thing.

Until McGinn consistently proves himself at a high level saying a top team has to come in for him is ridiculous.

That’s what you did try and say. You tried to say that a players performance playing in a worse league than the one there in now is meaningless.

I haven’t claimed that every player is going to be the next big player because they aren’t. I didn’t say McGinn would be the next big player either, I says he will get a move to a big club in a few years once he’s proved himself in the premier league which makes your last point invalid because I’ve already says he has to prove himself.

You quite clearly don’t get it, how does a club sign a player from a worse league? Isn’t it because of their performances or am I completely wrong and they just pick a name out of a hat? The last time I checked I’m sure it was based on the players performances or because a young player had talent and they think he would be a good player at some point.
    heard mcginn was great again tonight @Hibee must be buzzing

Unreal, 100% will move to a top team in the next few years. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clearly wrong or a deluded Celtic fan and just jealous they missed out.

Hibee will love this post but I’ve agreed with him for sometime now. The boys a player and has found a real level of consistency which he lacked at Hibs and does in a Scotland shirt but that will come.

He’s had two good games in a proper league, could easily be another Aaron Mooy.

Difference is I’ve watched him more times than you’ve watched Aaron Mooy.

On your bike xx

Yeah you’ve watched him more in your league. As I stated he’s had two good games in a proper league, far less than Aaron Mooy managed.

He’s got some way to go before he can even be compared to Aaron Mooy...

I’ve watched him in every league he’s played in wee man.

Like I says on yer bike.

‘Wee man’ ‘on yer bike’
    Your such a child 😂 rather than have an adult conversation you state that you’ve watched him play in a vastly inferior league more than I have, well great, that’s almost meaningless now he’s in the prem but cool.

You come across as someone impossible to have an actual conversation with, more suited to play-ground level bickering.

I’m taking the ****, I couldn’t give a toss what you think. You’ve named yourself after Torres that says it all.

I don’t think seeing someone play in another league is meaningless. That’s like saying watching Ronaldo play in Spain is now meaningless now he plays in Italy or watching De Jong play in Holland is now meaningless cause he plays in Spain.

If I’ve watched more of a player then surely I’m going to know more about that player than you? Just like if you watched someone else more than me then you’re going to know more about them are you or am I wrong? Simple logic.

The Ronaldo comparison is an awful one, if Ronaldo did well in the championship then I wouldn’t rate him from that... same way I won’t rate McGinn for his time in the Championship/SPL as neither can compare to the prem.

Can’t see what my forum name has to
    Do with anything, I guess standard childish attempt at an insult.

It isn’t at all, it’s going by your logic that if someone moves leagues their time there becomes meaningless. That’s surely applies for anyone? You can’t just have it for select players surely that only fits your agenda?

One rule for all not one rule for who you want.

Christ how hard is it to explain?
    Going from La liga to Serie A isn’t the same buts it’s a similar standard, therefore it’s worth taking note of how the player performed in each.

Going from SPL to the Prem is absolutely worlds apart, hence why his time in the SPL means incredibly little.

Scott Sinclair looked like a class player in the SPL for Christ sake, Mcginns form there doesn’t mean a lot to if he’ll succeed at a high level club.

Well let’s add,

Van Dijk
    Robertson
    Wanyama

All players to move from up here to the premier league and two are arguably the best centre back and left back in the world. Therefore your logic is meaningless, you’re taking a certain group of players rather than a whole to compare. You’re using the ones that fit your agenda and not the ones that don’t.

Tierney will smash the league as well with Arsenal.

Good god your difficult. I’m not trying to say no decent players ever came from SPL, I’m saying it’s a lottery, you can’t possible judge a player of there performance in the SPL when talking about them being signed by top teams around the world.

Jamie Vardy came from non league football, that doesn’t mean ever lad bagging a hatrick at Sunday league level should be talked about as the next big thing.

Until McGinn consistently proves himself at a high level saying a top team has to come in for him is ridiculous.

you can though. some players you can tell will go to the top. like moussa dembele...everyone knew he will go far

Exactly this, people see talent in players and that’s just a fact!

It’s not that I’m saying he’s guaranteed to be bad, I’m saying it’s impossible to know he’ll be good based from his SPL days. Take Tierney, unless I’m mistaken, one of the best players in the SPL, for the biggest club, talked about by said club as if he’s the best LB in the world. And how much did Arsenal pay for him? 20-25mill? That’s pocket change, Aston Villa paid the same for Mings.

If someone playing great in the SPL was such a marker for how good they are why did Tierney go for so cheap? Because it’s a massive gamble. There’s no way to know he’ll be able to perform against decent opposition week in week out.

He went for that cheap because Scottish clubs can’t turn money like that down.. its pocket change to a tourist league that cares more about corporate events that real football fans now away ye go and get ur phone out get a photo with an opposition manager and whilst you eat a 3 course meal and let us eat a steak pie and chuck the wrapper at Neil Lennons ginger dome in peace.

Btw McGinn is a player we’ve all seen him a lot more than you so I think we have a better idea than you.

The tourists leagues fans arrogance gets pretty old eh. Boy has probably never even been to an actual game.

Nail on head. Feels dirty actually sticking up for McGinn but like i say i can he's no at hibs now so i can admit he's good now.

Aye, its saying a lot when we have Hearts and United fans sticking up for him lol.

End of the day, since he has left Hibs he has won Villa's players and fans player of the year awards, got goal of the year, scored the winner and man of the match in the Play off. And in two EPL games he scored on his debut and man of the match in the next game.

Sometimes you just got to admit a player is good :D
  • El_Nino
    3206 posts National Call-Up
    Christ almighty, last time I bother with this thread.

I have nothing against McGinn, he looks to be a great player from what I’ve seen, but he’s played three games at a decent level. That is not enough for someone to say ‘he’s 100% guaranteed to move to a massive club, and anyone who disagrees is dumb or a deluded Celtic fan’.
    That is the original post I responded too, McGinn could turn out great, or he could be another Aaron Mooy, impossible to say which at this stage, that’s my point.
  • jamle1874
    6691 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 27

I have nothing against McGinn, he looks to be a great player from what I’ve seen, but he’s played three games at a decent level. That is not enough for someone to say ‘he’s 100% guaranteed to move to a massive club, and anyone who disagrees is dumb or a deluded Celtic fan’.
    That is the original post I responded too, McGinn could turn out great, or he could be another Aaron Mooy, impossible to say which at this stage, that’s my point.

The bits in bold.

It's a Hearts, Hibs and Dundee UTD fan defending McGinn so maybe it should be the last time you bother with this thread if you cant even gather that much.
  • Hibee
    12066 posts Has That Special Something

Serious question, do you not see how that kind of English arrogance gets Scots backs up?

You might not think the level is even 'decent' up here. But we have had some great players like Larsson, Gazza, Laudrup, Robertson, Van Djik, Caniggia, Sazuee, De Boers etc etc. We may not have a Japanese tourist sitting next to us taking pictures, but we still know a good player when we see one! Simple fact is we have seen way more of McGinn than you so are in a better position to judge him. I would hazard a guess you have seen him a handful of times on tv at the very most.

By the way, you will have no idea but McGinn replaced Mooy in the St Mirren team. Iv never heard any St Mirren fans even mention his name, McGinn on the other hand they all love!
  • Hibee
    I see Liam Henderson made his Serie A debut at the weekend. Interested to see how he gets on this season.
  • El_Nino
    edited August 27
    jamle1874 wrote: »

The bits in bold.

It's a Hearts, Hibs and Dundee UTD fan defending McGinn so maybe it should be the last time you bother with this thread if you cant even gather that much.

Ironic, your the one who doesn’t seem to understand what a quote is. The Celtic bit isnt my words, as I stated in the comment I was referring to the original comment I replied too.
    Is that hard to understand?
  • PintOfMagennis
    4452 posts National Call-Up
    Lafferty signed for bottom team in Norwegian league :D
  • Bhoy
    1866 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hibee wrote: »
    I see Liam Henderson made his Serie A debut at the weekend. Interested to see how he gets on this season.

The boy has a cracking attitude. Hopefully he can go on to have a great career in Italy.
  • El_Nino

Serious question, do you not see how that kind of English arrogance gets Scots backs up?

You might not think the level is even 'decent' up here. But we have had some great players like Larsson, Gazza, Laudrup, Robertson, Van Djik, Caniggia, Sazuee, De Boers etc etc. We may not have a Japanese tourist sitting next to us taking pictures, but we still know a good player when we see one! Simple fact is we have seen way more of McGinn than you so are in a better position to judge him. I would hazard a guess you have seen him a handful of times on tv at the very most.

By the way, you will have no idea but McGinn replaced Mooy in the St Mirren team. Iv never heard any St Mirren fans even mention his name, McGinn on the other hand they all love!

Scottish football used to be a decent level, hence why you’ve had to go back a fair few years for all but two of those players, those two players have developed fantastically but both were young gambles when taken from Scottish football.

I’m not saying nothing good comes from Scotland, but Salah came from Basel, that doesn’t mean Swiss football is great quality, far from it.

The thing is I think you’ve missed my point completely, I am aware you have a better idea of McGinn than me(all be it at championship level). However for someone to state that McGinn will be a success no doubt, he’s going to a big club and anyone that argues it is wrong/deluded is moronic.

McGinn is a promising player that may or may not make the grade, people can speculate but to say he’s a sure thing is so naive/biased. Much more talented players have failed to ever fulfil they’re potential.
  • jamle1874

The bits in bold.

Ironic, your the one who doesn’t seem to understand what a quote is. The Celtic bit isnt my words, as I stated in the comment I was referring to the original comment I replied too.

My mistake, Didn't read the whole thread your still wrong about McGinn and your arrogance towards our "level" is a disgrace. Like Hibee stated we know which players are cut out for the top league in England as we watch them very regularly everyone in this lounge knew VVD, Robertson and McGinn were going to make it in that league. As could Ajer, McGregor, Forrest and Christie make the step up. There's on the other hand we know witch players come on loan for English prem team that we know are never gonna make it there Demi Mitchell and Oli Burke to name a few. Just accept the fact we are more knowledgeable about our level and are better placed to assess McGinns chances.
  • jamle1874
    Hickey > McGinn anyway don't @ me
  • El_Nino

The bits in bold.

My mistake, Didn't read the whole thread your still wrong about McGinn and your arrogance towards our "level" is a disgrace. Like Hibee stated we know which players are cut out for the top league in England as we watch them very regularly everyone in this lounge knew VVD, Robertson and McGinn were going to make it in that league. As could Ajer, McGregor, Forrest and Christie make the step up. There's on the other hand we know witch players come on loan for English prem team that we know are never gonna make it there Demi Mitchell and Oli Burke to name a few. Just accept the fact we are more knowledgeable about our level and are better placed to assess McGinns chances.

Again read my post above. You’d realise I’ve agreed your better placed to assess McGinn.

My arrogance towards Scottish football is not a disgrace, I’m merely saying it doesn’t compare to the Prem.
  • Hibee
    Bhoy wrote: »

The boy has a cracking attitude. Hopefully he can go on to have a great career in Italy.

Aye, always comes across as one of football good guys. Still only 23 as well so plenty development time.
  • jamle1874

The bits in bold.

Again read my post above. You’d realise I’ve agreed your better placed to assess McGinn.

My arrogance towards Scottish football is not a disgrace, I’m merely saying it doesn’t compare to the Prem.

I was typing my post so didn't see your last post, we all know it doesn't compare doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. We aren't comparing them though we all seen attributes in McGinn when in Scotland and in the English Championship that make us certain he will continue to develop into a top player so unless something catastrophic happens in his career we all think he's going to the top.
  • Sykesy
    4457 posts National Call-Up

The bits in bold.

Don’t worry. There is a few who would agree with you. 1. Being me.. I’m the deluded Celtic fan just cause I don’t rate McGinn highly enough. Yet to prove anything and I’m afraid 2 games in the prem mean nothing.

El Niño must stay but with a photo added.
  • Hibee

Scottish football used to be a decent level, hence why you’ve had to go back a fair few years for all but two of those players, those two players have developed fantastically but both were young gambles when taken from Scottish football.

I’m not saying nothing good comes from Scotland, but Salah came from Basel, that doesn’t mean Swiss football is great quality, far from it.

The thing is I think you’ve missed my point completely, I am aware you have a better idea of McGinn than me(all be it at championship level). However for someone to state that McGinn will be a success no doubt, he’s going to a big club and anyone that argues it is wrong/deluded is moronic.

McGinn is a promising player that may or may not make the grade, people can speculate but to say he’s a sure thing is so naive/biased. Much more talented players have failed to ever fulfil they’re potential.

Well Iv actually agreed with you that there are no guarantees. But you can say that about any young player in world football, so Im not sure why you are going on about McGinn for days!?

Not sure you even understand what type of player McGinn is. This is a player that runs for 90 mins. Box to box. Will tackle in his own half and power forward and set up an attack. There is a reason he is/was the most popular player at every club he plays. These players are not easy to come by or everyone would have one in their team.
  • Hibee
    Sykesy wrote: »

The bits in bold.

Don’t worry. There is a few who would agree with you. 1. Being me.. I’m the deluded Celtic fan just cause I don’t rate McGinn highly enough. Yet to prove anything and I’m afraid 2 games in the prem mean nothing.

Nah your just too proud to admit you were so very very wrong about McGinns ability :D :D
  • El_Nino

Well Iv actually agreed with you that there are no guarantees. But you can say that about any young player in world football, so Im not sure why you are going on about McGinn for days!?

Not sure you even understand what type of player McGinn is. This is a player that runs for 90 mins. Box to box. Will tackle in his own half and power forward and set up an attack. There is a reason he is/was the most popular player at every club he plays. These players are not easy to come by or everyone would have one in their team.

I think yourself amongst other are missing my point, go back to original comment I made.

It in no way downplayed Mcginns promise or ability, the only thing I said was he isn’t a guaranteed success as he’s only done it in smaller leagues up until now. That’s not a criticism of McGinn, that’s a criticism of GeorgeSmith who stated that he’s garunteed to be a success and anyone who says otherwise is wrong/deluded.

I am fully aware of Mcginns potential, my only point was until we’ve seen him for a full year or two in a top league there’s no way of knowing he isn’t another Aaron Mooy/Gervinho type who has a good spell and that’s that.
  • Hibee

I think yourself amongst other are missing my point, go back to original comment I made.

It in no way downplayed Mcginns promise or ability, the only thing I said was he isn’t a guaranteed success as he’s only done it in smaller leagues up until now. That’s not a criticism of McGinn, that’s a criticism of GeorgeSmith who stated that he’s garunteed to be a success and anyone who says otherwise is wrong/deluded.

I am fully aware of Mcginns potential, my only point was until we’ve seen him for a full year or two in a top league there’s no way of knowing he isn’t another Aaron Mooy/Gervinho type who has a good spell and that’s that.

I can see why @xGeorgeSmithx went round in circles with you. You are repeating the same thing over and over. Iv already agreed that there are no guarantees so Im not sure what you want me to say.

By the way from what I have seen of him Mooy looks average (although I will be man enough to admit iv not seen a huge amount of him so I'm no expert...). Villa fans seem to compare McGinn to Milner all the time. That gives you an idea of how much they rate him. Your going to look really stupid if McGinn is running Arsenals midfield in a cpl years time by the way.
  • jamle1874
    Our new goalie now injured. i gee up
  • El_Nino
    edited August 27
  • Bhoy
    1866 posts Play-Off Hero
    Was hoping Griffiths would make the squad. Obviously not read yet.
  • El_Nino
    Doesn’t matter, I’ve explained myself over and over again, if anyone is unclear what I mean at this stage you’ll never know.
  • Hibee
    @El_Nino

You should also probably understand that there was likely a bit of tongue in cheek with the original comment you replied to. There has been A LOT of discussion on here about McGinn. Probably mostly due to me rating him incredibly high, and Celtic fans not convinced when they were trying to sign him. I think his performance in the Championship have half vindicated how good he is, and this season will win over the rest (like @Sykesy).

But there has been loads of banter about him and it looks like you have walked in, with the usual arrogant English attitude and its not went down well on a Scottish page (shock there). Had you not been so derogatory more would have actually agreed with you.
  • jamle1874

Naismith is in tho.
  • jamle1874
    Liam Cooper finally.
  • Sykesy
    Sykesy wrote: »

The bits in bold.

Nah your just too proud to admit you were so very very wrong about McGinns ability :D :D

Never doubted his ability. Just don’t have him as the next big thing, No doubt he’ll have a cracking career but I highly doubt he’ll hit the level you expect. I say expect you’d name him in your all time 11 knowing you ya crackpot 😂
  • Bhoy
    1866 posts Play-Off Hero

Naismith is in tho.

Was surprised by that. Thought he was injured?
  • Sykesy
    That Scottish defence looks suspect against any team. Grant Hanley is murder, Who we going with Hanley and Mulgrew? No sure you can be confident going in with that pairing.
  • jamle1874

Naismith is in tho.

Was surprised by that. Thought he was injured?

He is/was, surprising Halkett not anywhere to be seen.