OT - Best Man Speech/Speaking in public

RBailss
11801 posts Has That Special Something
I'm away to Cyprus on Saturday & me, along with my other mate are best men at a wedding on the Monday...

Speech is done & we've practiced it a few times. The lad who i'm doing it with is a confident guy whereas i'm the opposite... I'm not nervous yet but guessing I will be on the day as I hate public speaking!

Anyone got any pointers that may help me out?

Comments

• hoban95
    48510 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Wouldn't have a clue about the speech, but i love Cyprus. Been there quite a lot, such a lovely place. Where abouts are you going?
  • Tietherope
    10063 posts Has That Special Something
    I was terrified ahead of the speech and dance at my wedding. I get worked up over presenting something to 3 people in the office at work. But once I got up there I just sort of went on autopilot and everything was fine. Don't put too much thought into it ahead of time. The stress ahead of time far outweighs how difficult it actually is.
  • RBailss
    Cheers @Tietherope ... Having someone else up with me is defo easing the nerves a bit!

@hoban95 heading to Paphos mate.... Went to Ayia Napa a long time ago but guess this will be a little different!
  • hoban95
    48510 posts FIFA Cover Star
    RBailss wrote: »
    Cheers @Tietherope ... Having someone else up with me is defo easing the nerves a bit!

@hoban95 heading to Paphos mate.... Went to Ayia Napa a long time ago but guess this will be a little different!

Oh wow! I've been Paphos at least 3-4 times. :joy:

I always stayed in the town nearby at Coral Bay. Nice place, enjoy mate.
  • LFC Simon 98
    16605 posts World Class
    Don't know if you drink but my brother is a really really nervous person and can't speak in public usually. Had to be best man at a couple of weddings in the last few months and a couple of pints helped him as much as anything :D
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Don't stress.

Everyone wants you to do well. They're probably pissed and just want to laugh at the groom.
  • Samuel Eto'o
    19344 posts World Class
    Just try not to think about it too much. I hate speaking in public as well, no matter how much I tell myself I couldn't give a **** what people think I still get nervous, but it's just one of those things you gotta do without thinking too much about it and you'll feel good about yourself once it's done.
  • RBailss
    Don't know if you drink but my brother is a really really nervous person and can't speak in public usually. Had to be best man at a couple of weddings in the last few months and a couple of pints helped him as much as anything :D

Was thinking about this... wedding isn't until 5pm!!
  • RBailss
    Cheers lads, its only 5 minutes... I bet the majority won't even remember it!
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Visualize yourself doing a great speech on the day for 5 mins before you go to sleep between now and the big day.
  • LFC Simon 98
    16605 posts World Class

Was thinking about this... wedding isn't until 5pm!!

I'd say you'll be sweet. Don't overdo it though. That definitely wouldn't end well
  • Sercs
    18615 posts World Class
    Pace yourself and give structure, dont just start blabbing about lots of things and end up getting lost in your nerves.

You'll be fine
  • RBailss
    Sercs wrote: »
    Pace yourself and give structure, dont just start blabbing about lots of things and end up getting lost in your nerves.

You'll be fine

Thanks mate.. Its all typed up, I probably only do about 2 minutes speaking & the other guy does about 3/4 minutes. I'm just worried I'll be looking down at a piece of paper for the majority of it.
  • VICTAAAA
    10758 posts Has That Special Something
    @RBailss be thoughtful and don't overindulge until after the speech. deep breaths, you'll be great.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20357 posts Club Captain
    Got my brothers coming up in October, good luck mate!
  • Kai9623
    6808 posts Big Money Move
    Just think in your head that everything will be fine and it will be :) Good luck!
  • VICTAAAA
    10758 posts Has That Special Something

when can we crash yours? :wink:
  • illinifan
    8676 posts League Winner

You'll be fine

Thanks mate.. Its all typed up, I probably only do about 2 minutes speaking & the other guy does about 3/4 minutes. I'm just worried I'll be looking down at a piece of paper for the majority of it.

I would just work on memorizing it, make a notecard with certain trigger phrases on the big day to help you remember if you get stuck.
  • CtldChaos
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Stick to the script. What ever you have written down and practiced, do not try to stay or ad lib from it. That is where things go 'BOOM'.

Once saw a Father of the Bride "shoot from the hip" his speech at a wedding.... to call it a train wreck would be a nice way of putting it.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20357 posts Club Captain
    VICTAAAA wrote: »

when can we crash yours? :wink:

4/14/18 ;)
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Don't stress.

Everyone wants you to do well. They're probably pissed and just want to laugh at the groom.

Every time I've been best man this is how it went down.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26031 posts Player of the Year
    edited August 2017

You'll be fine

I've done it twice and read straight from the paper both times, it's perfectly acceptable.

You will find that if you've rehearsed it enough you will look at the paper to start a sentence, and then look up and finish the sentence from memory.
  • JDukes96
    405 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm so jealous of Europeans for one main reason: you guys can travel to a whole bunch of different countries as easily as me going to Florida or Tennessee or Texas. It's crazy. The only times I've been out of the country were 2 cruises. Both to the Bahamas, and one went to St. Maarten and St. Thomas as well. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, but I'd like to take a week vacation to Italy one summer and then Greece the next. :cry:
  • UpstartCaesar
    3172 posts National Call-Up
    Heard of people taking shots before presenting, not a bad idea unless you're a lightweight
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20357 posts Club Captain
    JDukes96 wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of Europeans for one main reason: you guys can travel to a whole bunch of different countries as easily as me going to Florida or Tennessee or Texas. It's crazy. The only times I've been out of the country were 2 cruises. Both to the Bahamas, and one went to St. Maarten and St. Thomas as well. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, but I'd like to take a week vacation to Italy one summer and then Greece the next. :cry:

Thing is its similar distance from MD to FL for me as England to Italy
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    edited August 2017

lolol I feel the same way man @JDukes96 it must be amazing to travel to these other countries. I went south across the border once on a "vacation" with my grandparents. I realize now it was so my grandpa could stock up on his pain meds on the cheap lol.

@RBailss Public speaking is my worst nightmare, but I've been working at this job for over a year where I basically had to get over that quick. Just know what you want to say, and know it well. It will come from there, just be confident. Maybe have a few glasses of that champagne from the open bar :joy: but not too many.

I also find that picking out a few different people in the audience, across all the sections to basically look at and address more so than others is helpful. Make eye contact with those you feel comfortable if you start feeling nervous, if that makes sense. But do it different people across the room so it looks like your still addressing everyone, and not just like your having a convo with one person lol.

Hope it helps good luck and congrats on being a best man to begin with. Never been one myself sadly.

• JDukes96
    405 posts Sunday League Hero

Thing is its similar distance from MD to FL for me as England to Italy

Its absurd when you think about it. I'm from SC, but when you think about it, the US itself is bigger than Europe so it make sense. I just wish we had the luxury of having that many different cultures that are that easily accessible. I mean you could argue that the US offers vastly different experiences as well, because going to the sunny beaches of Florida (or more close to me would be Myrtle Beach) is very very different than going to NYC even though they're on the same coast (albeit a very long way apart). Then you have places like Maine and Vermont, California, the Grand Canyon, the national parks in Montana. When you think about it there's a lot we take for granted. BUT, I would still argue that I'd rather have the choices of France, Italy, Spain, Switerland, Greece, Ireland, etc.
  • RBailss
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! Will let you's know how it goes! Game face is on!!
  • RBailss
    I also watched this which helped me!

• PelzyWelzy
    9293 posts League Winner
    edited August 2017
    I'm getting married in eight days (man that's come along fast :joy:) and giving a speech is the only part of it that absolutely terrifies me...

Considering I work in radio, on a talking platform no less, you'd think it would be a situation i'd be comfortable in (is no doubt what friends/family are expexting) but I'm totally clueless as to what I'm going to say. Have a complete and utter brain fart every time I try to think about it!

At an utter loss lads...

... might just have to get drunk and wing it :joy: