EA doesn't know how to esports

Comments

• Thamightyboro
    7067 posts Big Money Move
    LoboNobo wrote: »
    bear wrote: »
    bear wrote: »
    I don't think we'll ever see esports for actual sports video games actually taking off. They're trying to use numbers to mimic real life actions which on principle can never be as consistent as shooters or mobas and as a result trying to force it into esports is a joke. Even people with the most remedial understand of soccer can look at videos of two pro FIFA players and see just how ridiculous it looks.

I'm sure soldiers will say CS:GO is ridiculous as well, yet the game is very balanced, skillful and exciting. FIFA could be like that as well, but we all know EA has other priorities. Even forcing manual would be a huge step towards FIFA being more about skill than it is now.

CS:GO isn't trying to simulate war.....EA is trying simulate a sport with FIFA, and calling every new game the most realistic since the last. It doesn't matter who clicks the mouse the gun shoots where the crosshair is pointing on the screen, every single time exactly the same without failure. That is not the case in fifa and will never be the case. If someone presses X to slide tackle the game decides for them what kind of animation comes out, if they press nothing the game may or may not have the player they're controlling stick their leg out and whether or not they win the ball is a roll of the dice. When only 1/13th of the moving parts on the screen is in control of the users (and not even full control) you will never get a true skill based competition.

But it should be the case in FIFA, that's the point. Make manual controls obligatory in competitive mode - yes, it's extremely hard, and casuals will not touch it, but esports should be hard and not for casuals. Also, in this perfect world, an average Joe would look at pros playing the game and think to himself "wow, they're so amazing, the way they aim their passes and shots, the way they time their tackles is so skillful - I wanna be like them and train hard". I mean that's why esports can be so exciting - you see other players with incredible skill and you try to replicate some of it. Currently, when you watch FIFA, there's just too much standard plays and too much random bs happening to think like that.

I agree that controlling only 1 player makes it more random, and it's a true challenge to make the bots be balanced. But still, I believe EA could do much better in this aspect than we see now, or they could shift they attention to 11v11 (which will never happen, unless they somehow connect FUT with Pro Clubs).
    TeamRem wrote: »
    I think your posts are really well thought out and organized. I believe most of what you said. My biggest disagreement is the carrot that you threw in to hook people like me--that esports would provide balance and fairness to the game. I don't care about esports. I'll never watch them, and on a personal level, I think they perpetuate the faster flow of ways to abuse game mechanics. All I have seen from WL is that it's raised the stakes for casual players to be incentivized into playing as unfairly and unbalanced as possible. In turn I think the gameplay and the community have plummeted. Making esports for fut only accelerates this degradation.

Could you explain how you think a more popular fut esport presence will make the game more fair and balanced?

Your first paragraph is based on FIFA, but in other esports there's no such thing as "abusing game mechanics". There's just pure mechanical skill and tactics. IMO FIFA should stop trying to be realistic, because it will never happen. Instead, they should focus on balancing the game. Tackles for example, currently when you tackle more often then not you won't gain control over the ball, the ball will randomly bounce. I think every tackle should be 100% successful - you can either time it perfectly and get the ball instantly, or time it badly and do nothing, letting your opponent run past you or whatever. Sure, it's not realistic, but at least it seems fair.

As to the last sentence, it's the opposite - making the game more fair and balanced will lead to a more popular FUT esport presence, and that's the point of my little rant.

Of course there is abuse mechanics be it a fotm build, pairing, hero or the odd place on cs where you literaly offer nothing but a very top of head to aim at and by rights you shouldnt be able to hit opponent but you can. Every game has them esport or not, yes the very top esports have less of them and their paatches revil e around balance balance and more balance.

The only way a football espirt will take off is if a new.game was built from the ground up aimed solely at that market. Its been tried on a limited budget before in football superstars on pc sadly could never get the balance quite right with the small dev team we had available and whilst it did ok it never took off as hoped.

Personally id set up a new fifa street team, 5v5 and balance the hell out of it. If its succesful then expand to 11v11.

It will never ever work as a 1v1 controlling 11 players.
  • mindm4ster
    4924 posts Big Money Move
    mindm4ster wrote: »
    @mindm4ster you are mistaken, I've watched FIFA Interactive World Cup for a bit and it was FUT. It's the final event, consisting of players that qualified through FUT Champions tournaments.

Truth is, FIFA in its current state is nowhere near competitiveness. There are too many random factors, unclear features and overpowered mechanics/tactics. The game is completely unbalanced for years now, and I doubt it will change within next few years or so. Therefore, I don't see a bright future for competitive FIFA.

there are two tournaments

Fifa Interactive World Cup - H2H
    Fifa interactive Club World Club -FUT

why do you post stuff without researching them
    FIFA Interactive Club World Cup has finished on 5th August, and it was FUT, as seen here: http://www.fifa.com/interactiveworldcup/club-world-cup/index.html

FIFA Interactive World Cup is currently live, it involves the likes of Gorilla or Tass and it's also FUT, as you can see here:

why then HERE in video from last year's final they are clearly playing H2H

drop that patronizing tone
  • mindm4ster
    edited August 2017
    @mindm4ster you are mistaken, I've watched FIFA Interactive World Cup for a bit and it was FUT. It's the final event, consisting of players that qualified through FUT Champions tournaments.

Truth is, FIFA in its current state is nowhere near competitiveness. There are too many random factors, unclear features and overpowered mechanics/tactics. The game is completely unbalanced for years now, and I doubt it will change within next few years or so. Therefore, I don't see a bright future for competitive FIFA.

FIFA Interactive Club World Cup has finished on 5th August, and it was FUT, as seen here: http://www.fifa.com/interactiveworldcup/club-world-cup/index.html

FIFA Interactive World Cup is currently live, it involves the likes of Gorilla or Tass and it's also FUT, as you can see here:

apparently from this year on FIWC is in FUT mode only - haha what a joke
  • Libguy
    4752 posts National Call-Up
    Competitive FIFA is just a mess because the guys at that level are so good at defending that the game looks like two guys who have never played decided to play each other. The guys look like they suck, which is not what you want when you're trying to make a spectator sport out of it. I don't see how manual controls would fix that. It'd make it just a lot worse.
  • LoboNobo
    6384 posts Big Money Move

Because last year was different? I've shown you proof yet you still try to argue, wtf.
  • mindm4ster

Because last year was different? I've shown you proof yet you still try to argue, wtf.

Every year was different than this
    Didn't know they went full **** and made FIWC FUT only as well - what a joke
    UT is not competitive at all
  • paul24878306
    4717 posts Big Money Move
    Retro_G wrote: »

Don't make casual player's resent the mode. Fut Champions needs to be open to the whole Fifa community with proper skill based matchmaking, skill rating so we know what level opponents we're playing.

I dont agree. The whole point of FUT Champs is there IS no matchmaking - its a random opponent and so it should be. Even match making in Divs is wrong - should be a random oponant from the div you play in. ELO has no place is a sports sim.