OT: Consumer Issues with Plastic bags

OoSUPERDANoO
13870 posts Moderator
edited August 2017
Alright guys,

Just humour me here. I'm doing a marketing/management course (don't ask why) and there is an information gathering task basically i just need some quick answers from consumers (you guys) on plastic carrier bags.

1. What do you like about single use shopping bags?
2. What do you like about multi-use shopping bags?
3. Have you ever had any issues when using them?
4. Could they be improved?

Just keep it simple. If you answer, i might not ban you...

In all seriousness, thanks if you answer!

Dan

Comments

• SummerOfGeorge
    3120 posts National Call-Up
    1. Nothing, they're wasteful
    2. Don't have to buy new ones all the time
    3. Sometimes they rip
    4. Make them rip less frequently
    5. Can I get a signature now?
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    13870 posts Moderator
    1. Nothing, they're wasteful
    2. Don't have to buy new ones all the time
    3. Sometimes they rip
    4. Make them rip less frequently
    5. Can I get a signature now?

Perfect cheers!

Something along these lines is great!
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    1. Cheaper and more compact. (Fit in my pocket easier so far more likely to use this again then a reusable bag)
    2.They dont rip with 1 bottle of pop.
    3. As mentioned above reusable bags are bulkier so im less likely to chuck one in my pocket.
    4. Not really. There will be resistance to what tesco are about to do, but realistically its the only way forward. At 5p people simply dont care and will get a new nonrecycled bag every time.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    1. What do you like about single use shopping bags? They are alright. Atleast they help you carrying your stuff, innit? It is alot of unnecessary plastic though.
    2. What do you like about multi-use shopping bags? Great. You can use them multiple times :trollface:
    3. Have you ever had any issues when using them? Not at all.
    4. Could they be improved? Absolutely. Put @Fab his face on them.
  • Henstock
    2670 posts Fans' Favourite
    Alright guys,

Just humour me here. I'm doing a marketing/management course (don't ask why) and there is an information gathering task basically i just need some quick answers from consumers (you guys) on plastic carrier bags.

1. What do you like about single use shopping bags?
    2. What do you like about multi-use shopping bags?
    3. Have you ever had any issues when using them?

Just keep it simple. If you answer, i might not ban you...

In all seriousness, thanks if you answer!

Dan

1. Not a massive fan due to the waste it causes but they're very convenient.
    2. Can be re-used, are stronger and are thrown away less often.
    3. I always forget them :D
    4. I don't see how, they're cheap and strong.
  • Sercs
    18162 posts World Class
    edited August 2017
    1. What do you like about single use shopping bags?, Nothing.. they are wasteful

2. What do you like about multi-use shopping bags? Can be reused, not perfect but good medium

3. Have you ever had any issues when using them? Often can rip

4. Could they be improved? Focus more on recyclable options, perhaps moving away from plastics and a bigger focus on biodegradable (some might already be, but its not clear)

ps. can I have signature rights, I have 12k posts
  • Humma78
    2218 posts Fans' Favourite
    1. Basically a rip off and waste of money
    2. Stronger than the one use and you can actually make it to the car with the shopping without it splitting. Make good temporary bins at home
    3. Tried to use it as a condom, I'm now a father.
    4. Make them stronger for sure.
  • TheBlackShadow
    471 posts Sunday League Hero
    Peter wrote: »
    1. Cheaper and more compact. (Fit in my pocket easier so far more likely to use this again then a reusable bag)
    3. As mentioned above reusable bags are bulkier so im less likely to chuck one in my pocket.
    4. Not really. There will be resistance to what tesco are about to do, but realistically its the only way forward. At 5p people simply dont care and will get a new nonrecycled bag every time.

Can I just copy @Peter answers. Pretty much sums up perfectly what I think of the whole thing.

• Peter

Can I just copy @Peter answers. Pretty much sums up perfectly what I think of the whole thing.

Can I put this on my cv? 'Plastic bag thought leader'
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    13870 posts Moderator

Point 4 of Peters response is not true, i also totally thought that would happen aswel!

Single use bags have actually declined in use by 80% since the charge believe it or not!
  • TheBlackShadow
    471 posts Sunday League Hero

Can I put this on my cv? 'Plastic bag thought leader'

You will lead us into a new era of 'plastic bag related stuff'

• MikeyP_FC
    12722 posts Has That Special Something
    1- I can use the plastic ones for carrying lunch or as a bathroom trash can liner
    2- stronger, maybe it helps the environment? Guess depends which you get. At least less plastic.
    3- no
    4- I like the very thin ones that scrunch easily, sometimes they come with small attached bag to stuff it into like sleeping bag. So more of those would be improvement.
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 2017
    1. The convenience factor. Much more compact so can keep it in pocket etc

2. Reusable in the sense they are unlikely to break, much better for medium-larger shops as you have less bags to carry inside

3. No real issues with multi use. Single use rip easily

4. Multi use could have sizes similar to a single use plastic bag for convenience shopping to put in a pocket etc, could be made from non plastic alternatives. Single use bags needs to be rid of, make sure they are transferred to a stronger, multi use alternative

Hope this helps
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    13870 posts Moderator
    Do people care what their carrier bags look like btw?
  • Peter

Point 4 of Peters response is not true, i also totally thought that would happen aswel!

Single use bags have actually declined in use by 80% since the charge believe it or not!

Jeez, I am the anomoly then, literally for 5p I simply dont even think about bags till im at the till, clearly im a baller.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

No not really. imo atleast
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    edited August 2017
    1. Since the introduction of the 5p charge , I no longer use them. What I do is take a lot of the veg and fruit plastic bags in the store whilst shopping and put everything in those.
    2. Occasionally use these, particularly the hemp based ones. Last long time. They replace if they break too.
    3. No.
    4. Pretty good as is.

Why are you doing a management course?
  • Peter
    edited August 2017

The heavy duty 50p reusable ones tend to be abit feminine. Like they are often floral or some ****. I will use them like, but its going to have an impact on some people

They do then do star wars ones and stuff for £1 but they need to do just plain ones and stop trying to make them 'trendy'.
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    13870 posts Moderator
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    1. Since the introduction of the 5p charge , I no longer use them. What I do is take a lot of the veg and fruit plastic bags in the store whilst shopping and put everything in those.
    2. Occasionally use these, particularly the hemp based ones. Last long time. They replace if they break too.
    3. No.
    4. Pretty good as is.

Why are you doing a management course?

It's apart of an Engineering consultancy job that i'm doing at the minute. It's useless to me personally i feel but it's mandatory!
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    1) Good for when I do last minute shopping and don't have a bag

2) Stronger. Environment blah blah.

3) The 5p ones are awful.

4) Stronger with a tradein incentive
  • OoSUPERDANoO
    13870 posts Moderator
    These are all great lads cheers!

Keep em coming, i need to collate some answers for the morning.
  • Currieman
    4849 posts National Call-Up
    1. Nothing really, they are cheap rubbish
    2. They are much sturdier and you can use them more than once, what's not to like?
    3. None whatsoever
    4. Doubt it.
  • SebCFC123
    7342 posts Big Money Move
    1. Only thing is they're cheaper, but wasteful and rip too easy
    2. Can hold more stuff and haven't had them break ever
    3. Nope
    4. Can't think of anything
  • Phil0501
    443 posts Sunday League Hero
    1. Cheap and useful for rubbish if you have no black bags.
    2. Strong and reliable
    3. Size can sometimes be an issue can never be bothered to carry them so just end up buying a new 1
    4. Make them smaller and lighter but keep the resilience
  • Campino
    25938 posts Player of the Year

Fair, yeah sums up most
  • Knowlesdinho
    9172 posts League Winner
    1) Useful if I forget a bag and double up for putting on my bike seat when it's been raining and I've forgotten to put my bike inside.
    2) I use hessian bags, they are durable.
    3) Re-usable ones no. Cheap ones yes, they dig into your fingers and they rip easily.
    4) There's no point improving them because they will likely be phased out in the future.
  • Choepiechakie
    29621 posts Player of the Year
    1. Awesome you can fold them so you can carry them easily. Some shops allow you to trade them back in when they break.
    2. Overall better quality and can be used for more than only shopping
    3. One broke after a year went back to the shop and got a new one for free
    4. They are fine imo
  • MisterJV
    10413 posts Has That Special Something
    should remove plastic bags globally.. reusable ftw
  • VICTAAAA
    10575 posts Has That Special Something
    MisterJV wrote: »
    should remove plastic bags globally.. reusable ftw

@OoSUPERDANoO we don't even allow plastic bags in city and county of San Francisco, banned it a few years ago.

1) I do like single use bags, I'm forgetful. However the problem is remedied by going to the car.
    2) I like reusable bags because they're reusable! It's the one thing as a consumer I can control, my consumption.
    3) only issue is when I forget them in the car halfway through the grocery trip :lol:
    4) making myself remember getting the reusable bag! Like seriously, there's 4 reusable bags in my trunk for grocery trips, I forget 95% of the time and have to run out like an idiot. However, that's really just on me but fix this anyways Dan.

p.s. how's the kiddo? One now, yea?
  • Antparry92
    16731 posts World Class

1. What do you like about single use shopping bags? Nothing, they usually tear
    2. What do you like about multi-use shopping bags? Environmentally better, and I try my best with regards to stuff like that.
    3. Have you ever had any issues when using them? no I have a car boot full ready of re-usable bags haha
    No, they do the job and are stronger than single use bags