OT: George Best; what's your take?

mjs4p
12305 posts Has That Special Something
edited August 2017
I watched the recent George Best documentary last night (ESPN 30 for 30 for those in the US), and it left me wondering how people view him, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks to @XxRichiexRichxX for inspiring the poll.

How do you view George Best?

OT: George Best; what's your take? 86 votes

One of the greatest of all time
41%
GazzaHolgerBadstuber LFC Simon 98Smudgehoban95DiggyNornIronTrueBlueBl00djjmmww1RK94ShaneRecardochaser2k15PIl THE WOLF lIDoD_JesterAntparry92Andy99TradeZDarthGrowlerPieman 36 votes
A historically great player, but clearly below the best of all time (Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, etc)
29%
EddieFicioOtisGigaa_ByteLeonidasJBSummerOfGeorgePeterrckstrIvánSercsXxRichiexRichxXThockey47(2)SantiagoedwinstreeIbte10BennArgie8SimmoEFCScfctommytherealmerk33Pronoob 25 votes
Great for a few years, but longevity matters
9%
ECUPiratesJaxiteMontezumamalagacitysturges12345CrewFc11KeepItUpGeorgeGervin 8 votes
An unfulfilled talent
5%
RadioShaqAustintatiousEliteOJRuttaSummer69 5 votes
His legend has far exceeded his actual football given how short his top level career was
6%
Shakey JakeyUpstartCaesarLockett45DenisianesBirdy463Phil0501 6 votes
He has impacted more FIFA games for me than he ever did IRL
0%
He was a cultural icon more than a football icon
4%
maymanpeleKnowlesdinhoGavinhoSadioMan 4 votes
Other
2%
MartMichael LFC 96 2 votes

Comments

• Kai9623
    6808 posts Big Money Move
    95% of us here have not watched him play tbh
  • Fab
    19737 posts Club Captain
    who
  • mjs4p
    Kai9623 wrote: »

Probably more! That's why I'm curious. I think most people here view Pele as one of the best ever but I doubt many if any of us ever saw him.
  • Kai9623
    6808 posts Big Money Move
    mjs4p wrote: »
    Kai9623 wrote: »

Probably more! That's why I'm curious. I think most people here view Pele as one of the best ever but I doubt many if any of us ever saw him.
    Yep and so this poll kinda dont make sense cuz none of us will be able to back our vote up ;)
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    edited August 2017
    A historically great player, but clearly below the best of all time (Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, etc)
    Doubt even @D3ATHSQUAD is old enough to have seen him play live...

OK, ok, maybe he is

;)
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35360 posts World Cup Winner
    Can only imagine the levels he would have achieved if he didn't hydrate with alcohol
  • Shane
    24161 posts Player of the Year
    edited August 2017
    Could have been in the same discussion with the likes of Maradona, Pele, Messi etc. if it wasn't for issues off the pitch. By all accounts had an insane amount of natural talent.

Still up there but probably a level below because his peak wasn't long enough. Ballon d'Or winner, one of united's best players ever and did it at the top level in Europe.

Prime George Best = one of the best ever. 95-96 rated card on FIFA pls
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4153 posts National Call-Up
    a different era of course but well known for Friday night benders and then still playing like one of the best players in the world on the Saturday
    subjected to some of the most savage tackling ever on a weekly basis...
    Chelsea legend ron chopper harris told how he was instructed by the manager to go out and break his effin legs
    the good old days eh B)
  • P
    7797 posts League Winner
    My dad seen him play live quite a few times, for both united and northern Ireland, so it's someone I grew up with. Easily one of the best of all time for me. He squandered his talent noone is going to argue that but he scored 179 goals from 470 appearances over 11 years at united. That's almost twice as many games as van bastens whole career and many consider him one of the greatest.
  • hoban95
    68329 posts Icon
    Oops clicked the wrong on, meant he was great but not the all time best like Pele and Maradona.
  • Puskas
    993 posts Professional
    Franz Beckenbauer: "George Best was simply one of the most talented players of all time."

Pele: " George Best was the greatest player in the world"
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain
    Longevity puts him out of the top bracket for me.

You can also say he was an unfulfilled talent.

As a player, he was magnificent. As a person I don't respect him one bit and think he was an even worse character than Maradona ever was.
  • Antparry92
    20878 posts Club Captain
    Puskas wrote: »
    Franz Beckenbauer: "George Best was simply one of the most talented players of all time."

This.

My old man had the pleasure of seeing him play live a few times and still to this day says no one comes close to him be it as a personality or player
  • Keano
    20417 posts Club Captain

Shane wrote: »
    Could have been in the same discussion with the likes of Maradona, Pele, Messi etc. if it wasn't for issues off the pitch. By all accounts had an insane amount of natural talent.

Still up there but probably a level below because his peak wasn't long enough. Ballon d'Or winner, one of united's best players ever and did it at the top level in Europe.

Prime George Best = one of the best ever. 95-96 rated card on FIFA pls

This really, not judged it myself as like the majority haven't actually watched him play (so me making a judgement is pretty useless), but from what my older generation of family have said he was up there with them, if it wasn't for the superstar lifestyle (drink, women etc) then he could've been remembered on the same level as Pele, Maradonna etc.

So due to the people i've spoken to that've actually watched him, i'm going with this.
  • NornIron
    15505 posts World Class
    edited August 2017
    When he was done and playing in America he played a match against the best Dutch team ever and ripped them to bits before the game he told a reporter he would nutmeg Cruyff the first chance he got and so he did.
  • P
    7797 posts League Winner
    EddieFicio wrote: »
    As a person I don't respect him one bit and think he was an even worse character than Maradona ever was.

What? For being an addict?
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something

Quoting Pele brings back memories of what he said about Nicky Butt.
  • Keano
    20417 posts Club Captain
    P wrote: »
    As a person I don't respect him one bit and think he was an even worse character than Maradona ever was.

Nah there is more to it than that, but the other issues/thigns that happened stemmed from that/when he was on it.

Realistically though this poll doesn't really mean much from people that've never watched the player in question (and only heard about how he was through word of mouth/documentaries).
  • LeonidasJB
    22129 posts Club Captain
    Only below them due to his short career at the top level in comparison to some and also due to his timing internationally.
    Definitely top 10 of all time for natural talent and ability.
    Clearly the most skilful, exciting and best British footballer ever to grace the planet.
    If he could have just left the booze and women alone a little bit he could have been top 5 or even 3 of all time.
    Although to be fair deciding/judging the top 5 of all time is nearly impossible and everybody has a different opinion on who is and why.
  • Diggy
    15575 posts World Class
    He's one of the best just a shame his lifestyle choices meant his career was a lot shorter & less glorious than it should have been
  • LeonidasJB
    22129 posts Club Captain

You still have a decision to make.
    I gave up smoking Cannabis years ago, didn't have to and to be honest didn't want to, but now I have a son, decided it was the right thing to do.
    Not saying he never tried to control his drinking or anything, but he made that choice to pick up an alcoholic drink instead of a T or O.J. every time.
  • SummerOfGeorge
    3120 posts National Call-Up

Probably for his alcoholism, drunk driving, stealing, allegedly punching his wife and other women, the whole liver transplant and drinking again thing
  • EddieFicio
    22914 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2017

Ok let's see:

- Drunk driving (thrice)
    - Several accounts of being violent, hitting more than one of his couples across his life, including punching his ex wife in the face.
    - Charged with assault on a waittress
    - Stole money from a woman's purse as a grown ❤️❤️❤️❤️ man. (Really?)
    - Assault on a police officer
    - Got a second chance at life at public expense and squandered it.

As a footballer he was lovely and one of the best, as a person the Best thing he ever did was that "don't die like me" picture.
  • Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    Tough one to answer I think. Yes, I believe he was one of the best players the game has seen. If he had the same level of international exposure as Pele, Maradona etc, then I think he'd definitely feature in those kind of discussions. That said, I think there was a level of unfulfilled potential.

Over the years, I think he has become as much a cultural icon as a football legend. That's taking nothing away from his football, it's more a reflection of him, and his approach to life. The stories about the man and his lifestyle are legendary, and he made some of the greatest quotes ever. These live on, even as memories of his games fade over time.

I think I'd tick at least half of your choices if I could.
  • mjs4p
    Ofthewelsh wrote: »
    Tough one to answer I think. Yes, I believe he was one of the best players the game has seen. If he had the same level of international exposure as Pele, Maradona etc, then I think he'd definitely feature in those kind of discussions. That said, I think there was a level of unfulfilled potential.

Over the years, I think he has become as much a cultural icon as a football legend. That's taking nothing away from his football, it's more a reflection of him, and his approach to life. The stories about the man and his lifestyle are legendary, and he made some of the greatest quotes ever. These live on, even as memories of his games fade over time.

I think I'd tick at least half of your choices if I could.

A thoughtful response as always! ;)
  • Keano
    20417 posts Club Captain
    edited August 2017
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life"

"I used to go missing a lot, Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World."

"If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or ****ing miss world, it'd be a hard choice. Thankfully, i've done both"

Sounds pretty glorious to me, though it was sadly short (his footballing career & life).

(starred a word just to be safe).
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    35360 posts World Cup Winner
    I just realized I selected the wrong answer hahaha. Meant to pick one of the greatest. Wish the votes weren't locked.
  • Couchy
    9572 posts League Winner
    I think I'll go with Peles view of George Best over some of the nonsense in this thread.

• P
    7797 posts League Winner

Ok let's see:

- Drunk driving (thrice)
    - Several accounts of being violent, hitting more than one of his couples across his life, including punching his ex wife in the face.
    - Charged with assault on a waittress
    - Stole money from a woman's purse as a grown **** man. (Really?)
    - Assault on a police officer
    - Got a second chance at life at public expense and squandered it.

As a footballer he was lovely and one of the best, as a person the Best thing he ever did was that "don't die like me" picture.

Pretty much all those stem from his addiction. I don't condone any of it but he clearly never got the support he needed. Things have changed alot now, the world's look at mental health has changed. So many top footballers who got rich and famous young have struggled that exact same way, gazza and garincha off the top of my head. Its alot of wasted talent.

I can see where you're coming from and cant disagree. I just never think of his off field exploits that happened later in his career cause it wasn't something I was interested as a kid, just liked watching him on the pitch. It's a shame the alcohol had such a profound effect on him. Anyone who knew him would say he was one of the most charming people they ever met
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Not many shagged miss world and scored a hat trick at anfield. One of the best.