OT- Liverpool and the #9

RedArmyDoof
2802 posts Fans' Favourite
edited July 2017
Going into the new season, and analyzing the business, or lack of (Spurs) done by the top 6 clubs, I ended up asking myself a question.

Is Liverpool lacking a #9?

I know they recently announced a new #9 (Firmino), but going but analysed data

Chelsea - Morata (potential 20+ goals #9)
Spurs - Kane (20+ goals #9)
Man City - Aguero (20+ goals #9)
Man United - Lukaku (20+ goals #9)
Arsenal - Lacazette (20+ goals #9)

I can't really see Firmino being a 20+ goals #9, or Sturridge even.
Are they relying too much on goals from wides and midfield that it could cause problems?

Liverpool fans, are you happy/content with the situation at #9?

Comments

• Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited July 2017
    We dont play with a 9 as such.

And a full season at cf firmino will hit 15 min, but be involved with as many goals as an out and out 9 would. His performance level dropped last season when he had to play out wide.
  • johntempera
    833 posts Semi-Pro
    Sometimes Bobby shows up, sometimes he doesn't. He depends on other players and can't win games on his own. He does have good footballing skills and I do like him.

Could use a star banging the goals even if the squad around him isn't performing 100%.
  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    As a Utd fan I think klopp doesn't set up with your generic no.9. It's all about pace, passing, movement and adaptability. There will always be a semi-focal point when countering but will switch more often than not.
    Didn't mane firmino and coutinho all have 7 goals 7 assists very early last season? Shows the fluidity
  • Peter
    Put someone like Lukaku in that Liverpool team and he might score 20 goals, but the team wouldnt perform as well.

Not a fan of the term, but firmino is a false 9
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    Sturridge can easily get 20 a season if he's fit and starts most weeks but that just isn't happening.

The shortfall of goals from Firmino than from a traditional #9 is made up by those around him- Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Lallana
  • Peter
    Jake wrote: »
    Sturridge can easily get 20 a season if he's fit and starts most weeks but that just isn't happening.

The shortfall of goals from Firmino than from a traditional #9 is made up by those around him- Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Lallana

Sturridge when leave when he proves full fitness.

At the moment is is a good plan B, but he simply doesnt fit the mould for the type of player Klopp wants in that position.
  • Sercs
    22518 posts Club Captain
    Liverpool need the Number 9 to press and drop in. A lot of our goals come from the wings and midfield, wide mix of goals.

Limited types of players who could play the false 9, if only we still had Suarez.. he could really do it all.
  • RedArmyDoof
    So with Liverpool it's basically a "go score everyone" rather than a dedicated #9.

I know the threat from wide exists, but i guess what my OP lacked was also a question on whether that tactic would be good for late stages in the UCL given how tight games can get, and if Liverpool get there too
  • RBailss
    14718 posts Has That Special Something
    But you's have Solanke :trollface:
  • hoban95
    70052 posts Icon
    RBailss wrote: »

:joy:
  • Peter
    So with Liverpool it's basically a "go score everyone" rather than a dedicated #9.

I know the threat from wide exists, but i guess what my OP lacked was also a question on whether that tactic would be good for late stages in the UCL given how tight games can get, and if Liverpool get there too

The best team in europe scores most from the wings :*
  • RedArmyDoof
    Peter wrote: »

The best team in europe scores most from the wings :*

Ronaldo Madrid?? :joy:
  • Argie8
    7429 posts Big Money Move
    Morata has NEVER been a 20 goal a season player. And he has always played for incredible teams. Overrated imo.

And Lacazette hasnt shown he can do it in the EPL...yet.

Firmino as a 9 works in our team. We were the 2nd top scorers in the league last year and he didn't score more than 11/12 goals so why would it even matter? If the team is scoring goals then it literally doesnt matter at all. We're in a far better position to have a team of goalscorers than having to rely on one man. Stops us from becoming predictable. Worry about our defence if anything
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something

He was talking about 20 goal a season strikers, not 30. :sunglasses:
  • Michael LFC 96
    3711 posts National Call-Up
    May not get as many but our goals don't just come from CF, I think we had a crazy amount of different scorers last season and still managed to score more than everybody below us.
  • RBailss
    14718 posts Has That Special Something
    Jake wrote: »

He was talking about 20 goal a season strikers, not 30. :sunglasses:

Didn't think there was any way to turn that on its head... I take my hat off to you
  • pittphan
    3023 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2017
    Liverpool need 20 goals from their CF... whether that is from Sturridge (highly unlikley due to obvious reasons), Firmino, or some combination, it matters not. The 2 things Liverpool need the most are a proven Striker and a proven defender (Lb or Cb). I am not sure why they have not addressed their obvious needs. Keita and Salah are nice players and they will fit in with Klopp's style, but how much do they improve the team? They improve team depth, which is important for CL, but not enough quality needed to win the league. IMO.
  • Bob_Dylan
    21308 posts Club Captain
    Peter wrote: »
    We dont play with a 9 as such.

And a full season at cf firmino will hit 15 min, but be involved with as many goals as an out and out 9 would.

This, there are more than one way to play football

• HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2017
    Conventional number 9s have never done too well under Klopp, Lewandowski and Aubemeyang can support as well as lead the attack. Players like Immobile and Ramos struggled. Barrios was decent I guess.
  • Currieman
    5043 posts Big Money Move
    The way Klopp plays and the formation etc. mean that Liverpool's goals come from all over. The front 3 and the midfielders. Doesn't mean it's better or worse than having a 20 goals a season striker, just means it's different. If they score the goals and win, who cares who scores them.
  • Peter
    pittphan wrote: »
    Liverpool need 20 goals from their CF... whether that is from Sturridge (highly unlikley due to obvious reasons), Firmino, or some combination, it matters not. The 2 things Liverpool need the most are a proven Striker and a proven defender (Lb or Cb). I am not sure why they have not addressed their obvious needs. Keita and Salah are nice players and they will fit in with Klopp's style, but how much do they improve the team? They improve team depth, which is important for CL, but not enough quality needed to win the league. IMO.

Why?

If a striker scores 20 and assists 5, why is that better than scoring 15 and assisting 10?

Contribution is what is important and Firmino consistently playing cf will contribute plenty.