• fergoosee
    12273 posts Has That Special Something
    Hibee wrote: »
    fergoosee wrote: »
    Messi incredible player. No World Cup though. Can you truly be the greatest of all time if you haven't won the World Cup (in a national team full of superstars).

Not having a World Cup holds him back that's a ceartin but he smashes Maradonas honours and records bar the World Cup.

Also your Napoli and Espanyol comparison is outrageous. Napoli still had a lot of good players around Maradona when they won the league. Several Italian Internationals were also in the side!

I ain't going to argue who's the best. It all comes down to the opinion of a person! I respect your opinion, Maradona was a outstanding footballer and is ceartinly one of the best.

Iv seen Espanyol live in a UEFA cup final. Napoli hadn't done that before Maradona. I picked a Spanish team that had never won a title before. So I stick by that being a good comparison.

Anyway, my point is I'm not convinced Messi could go to such a lesser team and win the league. Something we will never find out though.

the lesser teams werent as bad back then as they are now. the money factor has moved all the best players to all the top teams

Well that's probably true. But that Milan team were still miles ahead of most other in the world at the time.

ye they were, came 5th that season though

True but Napoli also won it in 89 and Milan came second. Milan won the European Cup that year.

its impressive, ran them close just 2 pts behind
  • SC1967
    10730 posts Has That Special Something
    1. Claret_n_blue_blood & zl Gshock (EPL, Barcelona, Italy) - Diego Maradona

2. chaz & jamle1874 (Serie A, Borussia Dortmund, England) - Paolo Maldini

3. Lisbon67 & SC1967 (Bundesliga, AC Milan, Spain) - Franz Beckenbauer

4. fergoosee & xGeorgeSmithx (La Liga, Manchester United, Netherlands) - Lionel Messi

5. Selgarr & TheGreenMachine (EPL, Real Madrid, France) - Zinedine Zidane

6. Dairee & Mik (Serie A, Liverpool, Germany) - Ronaldo

7. Hibee & AnDrEwThEdOn (Bundesliga, Juventus, Brazil) - Michel Platini

8. MarioMonk & DanSmith89 (La Liga, Bayern Munich, Argentina)
  • SC1967
    @MarioMonk @DanSmith89

@AnDrEwThEdOn @Hibee you two haven't answered yet...if your next pick can not be taken by Mario and Dan then go.
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17212 posts World Class
    We're going to wait for them to pick first i think
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    5693 posts Big Money Move
    Messi incredible player. No World Cup though. Can you truly be the greatest of all time if you haven't won the World Cup (in a national team full of superstars).

Not having a World Cup holds him back that's a ceartin but he smashes Maradonas honours and records bar the World Cup.

Also your Napoli and Espanyol comparison is outrageous. Napoli still had a lot of good players around Maradona when they won the league. Several Italian Internationals were also in the side!

I ain't going to argue who's the best. It all comes down to the opinion of a person! I respect your opinion, Maradona was a outstanding footballer and is ceartinly one of the best.

Iv seen Espanyol live in a UEFA cup final. Napoli hadn't done that before Maradona. I picked a Spanish team that had never won a title before. So I stick by that being a good comparison.

Anyway, my point is I'm not convinced Messi could go to such a lesser team and win the league. Something we will never find out though.

You're picking a Spanish side that hasn't won a title? So you just put it in a hat and pulled it out? At the end of the day you can't just at random pick them cause you seen them live. You would be as well as picking Fulham they have reached a Europa League Final but never won the Premier League. Does that automatically put them in the same situation? I don't think it does, therefore it's a poor comparison.

The standard of football back then was also a lot poorer than the present level at the top of the game.

If you want to compare teams when we are comparing players let's compare Messi and Maradona.

Messi has a book full of Honours, Individual Awards and Records.

Maradona has a Leaflet full of Honours, Individual Awards and Records.

How many Champions Leagues/European Cups did Maradona win? The biggest club competition. Arguably the biggest honour in modern day football.
  • SC1967

You're picking a Spanish side that hasn't won a title? So you just put it in a hat and pulled it out? At the end of the day you can't just at random pick them cause you seen them live. You would be as well as picking Fulham they have reached a Europa League Final but never won the Premier League. Does that automatically put them in the same situation? I don't think it does, therefore it's a poor comparison.

The standard of football back then was also a lot poorer than the present level at the top of the game.

If you want to compare teams when we are comparing players let's compare Messi and Maradona.

How many Champions Leagues/European Cups did Maradona win? The biggest club competition. Arguably the biggest honour in modern day football.

Comfortably.

The Champions League is a much harder competition to win than the World Cup these days.
  • fergoosee
    did maradona never win the ucl/euro cup?
  • Dairee
    573 posts An Exciting Prospect
    SC1967 wrote: »

Comfortably.

The Champions League is a much harder competition to win than the World Cup these days.

Foootballers are a lot fitter nowadays too tbf
  • SC1967

Nah. Won the UEFA Cup with Napoli, but never the European Cup.
  • fergoosee

so how can messi be tarnished by never winning the world cup but maradona isnt tarnished from winning the biggest competition in club football?

doesnt tarnish either imo though
  • SC1967

so how can messi be tarnished by never winning the world cup but maradona isnt tarnished from winning the biggest competition in club football?

doesnt tarnish either imo though

Exactly.
  • DanSmith89
    400 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am a bit confused as to the criteria of how we can pick players. Can someone please explain?

Also, once we have picked our squads, do we have to buy them and play matches? If so, how would that work if there is 2 of us managing the team?
  • SC1967
    DanSmith89 wrote: »
    I am a bit confused as to the criteria of how we can pick players. Can someone please explain?

Also, once we have picked our squads, do we have to buy them and play matches? If so, how would that work if there is 2 of us managing the team?

No it has nothing to do with the actual game of FIFA.

You have to pick a starting XI - using only La Liga, Bayern Munich and Argentinian players. They don't have to be currently playing. It's from any era of football you want.

However imagine you were setting the team up in Ultimate Team where chemistry is important. All of your players must have 9 chemistry by the end.
  • SC1967
    Should just have stuck with a 4 hour draft for the first round. 'kin hell lads.
  • xGeorgeSmithx

I think it's more people been online at the same time to discuss their next pick. I was more than happy with @fergoosee as a team mate as I knew he would active a fair bit and I wouldn't need to go chasing him down!
  • SC1967

I think it's more people been online at the same time to discuss their next pick. I was more than happy with @fergoosee as a team mate as I knew he would active a fair bit and I wouldn't need to go chasing him down!

I know, it might get frustrating.
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17212 posts World Class

I know, it might get frustrating.

Me and @Hibee won't hold you up B) #dreamteam
  • Hibee
    11854 posts Has That Special Something
    Liking you guys arguments. Football all about opinions. Think a lot of you grew up with Messi Ronaldo etc. I grew up with Maradona, Van Basten, Zico etc. So I probably see it a bit differently.

Of course stats say Messi and Ronaldo. But football really is not all about that. Nowadays Maradona would be at Barca or Real as well (no one else would be able to afford him), and would have Champions Leagues etc. Difference is he would probably still have a World Cup medal as well :wink:
  • MarioMonk
    1788 posts Play-Off Hero
    Sorry back , wheres dan?
  • SC1967
  • MarioMonk
    1788 posts Play-Off Hero

Messaged him but no reply yet
  • SC1967
    MarioMonk wrote: »

2 hours left to get your picks. You might have to make an executive decision at some point...
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    Liking you guys arguments. Football all about opinions. Think a lot of you grew up with Messi Ronaldo etc. I grew up with Maradona, Van Basten, Zico etc. So I probably see it a bit differently.

Of course stats say Messi and Ronaldo. But football really is not all about that. Nowadays Maradona would be at Barca or Real as well (no one else would be able to afford him), and would have Champions Leagues etc. Difference is he would probably still have a World Cup medal as well :wink:

So would Messi then....
  • MarioMonk
    1788 posts Play-Off Hero
    MarioMonk wrote: »

2 hours left to get your picks. You might have to make an executive decision at some point...

Already got my first pick waiting for a reply.
  • Hibee

So would Messi then....

Only he hasn't though has he.
  • Hibee

So would Messi then....

Anyway, good to see Stanton score for you today. Hope he does well.
  • chaz
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    I don't like the consistency/stats argument tbh. That's why I wouldn't have CR anywhere near my top 5. I'd rather judge players from how good they were at the height of their powers. Would still have Messi slightly ahead of Maradona though.
  • SC1967
    chaz wrote: »
    I don't like the consistency/stats argument tbh. That's why I wouldn't have CR anywhere near my top 5. I'd rather judge players from how good they were at the height of their powers. Would still have Messi slightly ahead of Maradona though.

What would your top 5 be?
  • chaz
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero

What would your top 5 be?
    Messi, Maradona, Pele, Zidane then maybe Cruyff

• xGeorgeSmithx

So would Messi then....

Anyway, good to see Stanton score for you today. Hope he does well.

All about opinion mate likes we have already says!

Yeah hopefully he can kick on at us and then we can sign him on a pre contract in January!

I don't base mines on it either but you need evidence to back up your opinion