The English Football League Lounge 2020/21

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    We're actually getting Akinfenwa in the Champ next season.
  • iHilarious
    13589 posts Has That Special Something
    He’s useless either way.. if he gets more than 10 appearances they’re going down. They need to spend money realistically
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    iHilarious wrote: »
    He’s useless either way.. if he gets more than 10 appearances they’re going down. They need to spend money realistically

He's probably going to be good for one or two ❤️❤️❤️❤️ house last minute winners and not much else, and after how this season's gone one of them will be against us.
  • GoodnightIrene
    4194 posts National Call-Up
    I assume the only reason they'd actively keep him in the Championship is for his media reputation or whatever you'd want to call it. Can't see him getting more than 15 second half sub appearances, but fair play either way I suppose!
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    On the Reddit thread I saw this on I saw some Wycombe fans basically say he's pretty much a mascot and "Dressing Room general" for Ainsworth.
  • iHilarious
    13589 posts Has That Special Something
    On the Reddit thread I saw this on I saw some Wycombe fans basically say he's pretty much a mascot and "Dressing Room general" for Ainsworth.

Tbf Mousinho & Mackie were pretty much that for us, it can be a big deal in terms of inexperienced teams
  • Farlz
    9623 posts League Winner
    God I hope fans are allowed back next season, I need to see that big lump live
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    iHilarious wrote: »

Tbf Mousinho & Mackie were pretty much that for us, it can be a big deal in terms of inexperienced teams

There's definitely something in it. Even at the top level didn't Germany call Podolski up for the 2014 World Cup when they knew he wasn't good enough for that reason.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3970 posts National Call-Up
    Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    "Leeds United will have to pay €21m (£19m) to sign RB Leipzig striker Jean-Kevin Augustin should they secure promotion to the Premier League."

Yikes if that's true. They've also had to sign Helder Costa as well. Neither of whom have really make that much of an impact.

Saw that yesterday. Not ideal when they're about 35m spent already without any improvements on their Championship team. Can't see them doing a Fulham/Villa either, so be interesting to see what happens.

I think they were in for Wells in January, IIRC? Sanctioning a deal like that is kind of wild, unless he's some hidden talent we don't know about.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    "Leeds United will have to pay €21m (£19m) to sign RB Leipzig striker Jean-Kevin Augustin should they secure promotion to the Premier League."

Yikes if that's true. They've also had to sign Helder Costa as well. Neither of whom have really make that much of an impact.

Saw that yesterday. Not ideal when they're about 35m spent already without any improvements on their Championship team. Can't see them doing a Fulham/Villa either, so be interesting to see what happens.

I think they were in for Wells in January, IIRC? Sanctioning a deal like that is kind of wild, unless he's some hidden talent we don't know about.

He's meant to be quite highly rated (or at least was). But from what I've read it sounds like he had about two weeks of training under Bielsa and did his hamstring, came back, trained under Bielsa, did his hamstring again etc. so not sure he's the best fit.
  • Dandingooo
    2082 posts Fans' Favourite
    Smashing that we got 15m + a loan fee of them for Costa. He would’ve just sat at home all season for us
  • Ashy
    17548 posts World Class
    How much do you actually get for promotion?

Looking at Leeds and they have basically just spent £15m on Costa this summer, £19m on Augustin, Harrison they are trying to make perm which will cost like £16m or so thats £50m right there.

Then they are losing Ben White, will cost £25m or so to replace him well and even then you don't know, basically £75m spent for the same team they have now.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    From memory we got about 100m from the Prem last season. Not including money we got from Sponsors, Ticket Sales etc. so Could probably call it about 120m all in.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3970 posts National Call-Up
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with them next year. I don't think they're coming back to the Championship anytime soon. With Villa and Norwich, you kind of got the feeling they'd be back and I think most people would thought the same of Sheffield United.

There's probably two ways you stay up. Either recruit well like Wolves did or you just click as a team like Sheffield United did. Certainly think if we go up, we'd be day-trippers.
  • Farlz
    9623 posts League Winner
    Why hasn't Bielsa had his meltdown and done one yet :unamused:
  • Lard_Lad
    12757 posts Has That Special Something
    I can’t see Leeds spending loads, I think they’ll stay up and do quite well, they’re more similar to us in a sense that it’s about the team and the tactics. They’re team isn’t that amazing on paper compared to some teams in the championship. They’re best player is 30 odd and struggles to play more than 30 mins.

I imagine replacing Ben White will be difficult and they’ll need a new striker desperately.
  • Ashy
    17548 posts World Class
    edited July 2020
    Wonder what they will do about the Augustin situation, the clause was if Leeds get promoted they have to buy him for £19m.

He's been on loan since January and played 3 games (48 minutes) and its just not worked out due to injuries and stuff and Leeds are looking a way around the deal but RB Leipzig don't want him either and have allocated that £19m to their transfer budget already.

Leeds may have to take him and hope he can do well in the Prem or sell him straight away but idk what fee they will get or I wonder if there is a large penalty if they don't buy him like £10m fee
  • NornIron
    15400 posts World Class
    edited July 2020
    If fans arent allowed in until at least October what's happening with the leagues? I know most clubs won't be able to run without fans.
  • Hicksy2011
    18907 posts World Class
    They will just have to crack on
    Prize money is reasonable and at least with the EFL we have ifollow so fans can pay £10 to watch each match
    The effect will be significant but the money they will get back from ifollow coupled with not needing to pay all the costs of running the stadium and stewarding etc etc means it won’t actually be too brutal
    If it’s a whole year some teams might have some issues
  • They Caged Non
    6500 posts Big Money Move
    Surely the season will be starting late anyway? they are technically only about a month away from the champ restarting now.
  • Handy Andy
    6316 posts Big Money Move
    NornIron wrote: »
    If fans arent allowed in until at least October what's happening with the leagues? I know most clubs won't be able to run without fans.

Exactly why they should have found a way to finish, this problem is not going to magically go away. They needed to find a way to do it without fans in L1/L2
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited July 2020
    Surely the season will be starting late anyway? they are technically only about a month away from the champ restarting now.

Date for the Prem I’ve seen is the 12th of September. So if you’re going by the usual calendar the EFL would start on the 5th. But there’s nothing usual about any of this.
  • NornIron
    15400 posts World Class
    edited July 2020
    Scottish lower starts 17th October, I think its just been announced the irish league wont start until supporters are allowed in so at least the end of October by the looks of things.

Virus cases over here were down to about 2 or 3 day last week, yesterday we had 16 today 19 so not looking good.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Today could be the day for Leeds...
  • Farlz
    9623 posts League Winner
    Been some bottlejob from Albion hasn't it
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Fair play to Brentford if they do get Autos instead of West Brom though. Can't say they don't deserve it.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    It'll be Championship all over if Huddersfield win here after they lost to Luton at home like a week ago.
  • Dandingooo
    2082 posts Fans' Favourite
    Please let West Brom bottle it, Brentford Autos, Forest playoffs