The English Football League Lounge 2020/21

Comments

• wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Pietu wrote: »
    @wheelerdeeler I'm doing something dirty :lol::lol:

Keep an eye out later on, waiting until the end of the Finnish season and then I'm making the move so you can pick what team I go to.
  • Pietu
    10125 posts Has That Special Something

Keep an eye out later on, waiting until the end of the Finnish season and then I'm making the move so you can pick what team I go to.

Sure!

I'm starting a new save with the Austrian club WSG Tirol and I'm going to play a flat back 5 all no nonsense defenders and I have this absolute UNIT of a target man, Stefan Maierhofer. He is 202CM with 19 jumping reach so I'm just going to play hoofball to him! It's going to be so much fun :lol:

Helps that I'm the favourite to get relegated and this team has plenty of defenders. Just don't know what I'm going to do with my 3 midfield players yet. I'm so excited for this!!

Also, that Maierhofer lad has played for Wolves, Bristol and Millwall.
  • Ashy
    16846 posts World Class
    edited June 2020

How do you pick what team to go to on FM thought you had to wait for the job to become available?
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited June 2020
    Ashy wrote: »

How do you pick what team to go to on FM thought you had to wait for the job to become available?

I'm assuming there'll be Jobs available at the end of the Finnish season, I'll screenshot it and then post it here for Pietu to pick.

Or if there's not I'll wait for the Promoted Team(s?) from the Second Division to spawn in at the start of next season and go for one of them. I won't be able to completely cherry pick which team I want to go to. But I'm officially the 3rd best Manager of all time behind Pep and Fergie so I doubt any of the Finnish teams I apply for will turn me down.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Northampton are such a League Two team. Got a Keeper who can kick it pretty much the length of the pitch, Long Throws galore etc.

Fair play to them though, because it clearly works for them.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Need to get back into football manager, but I’m pretty lazy about tactics and stuff. Any tips for not getting too bogged down in the detail and just enjoying it casually?
  • Pietu
    BristolMDF wrote: »
    Need to get back into football manager, but I’m pretty lazy about tactics and stuff. Any tips for not getting too bogged down in the detail and just enjoying it casually?

You could always download tactics and if you don’t want to hire staff and do things like that, you could let your director of football do that.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    You can delegate quite a lot. Once I had my Tactics sorted I delegated Training to my Assistant. Delegated Press Conferences to one of my coaches (Gary Neville), and if you get a DoF you can ask for Recommended Signings from them. Think you can even make your DoF in charge of signings and you are literally just there to pick the team if you want to.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Where do you start with tactics though? Just pick a formation you like and look at your squad and try and set instructions that make sense with the squad you have?
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited June 2020
    Pretty much. Most of it's common sense, if you're in the Vanarama North/South don't try and make your team play like Pep's Barca and so on. And just get a Formation that fits the players you have at the club at first, and then sign players who fit the Formation you want to build into. I started with a 5-2-3 at Kettering, but I knew I wanted to eventually build into a Possession 4-3-3 and I was at the 4-3-3 I screen shotted on here a week or so back by about L1 and at the end I had 4-3-3 as my main formation and a 3-5-2 as my "secondary" Formation because I signed this Mexican RWB on a Free who is genuinely World Class so I rotated quite a lot.

Main tip from my experience over the last couple of months is make sure you have overlapping Wing-Backs, because they get so many Assists.
  • Hicksy2011
    18871 posts World Class
    Ref has lost the plot here completely
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    You can just copy mine if you really want. It's won me the majority of the Trophies I won, so it can't be terrible.
    Eb2Jqo6.png
  • Pietu
    You can just copy mine if you really want. It's won me the majority of the Trophies I won, so it can't be terrible.
    Eb2Jqo6.png

What are all those Finnish names?
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Eb2Jqo6.png

2033 Regens, what can I say.
  • Pietu
    Where do you start with tactics though? Just pick a formation you like and look at your squad and try and set instructions that make sense with the squad you have?

I would suggest looking at teams before you pick one and seeing if their players inspire you in some way and make you want to try something, be it as stupid as possible, if you want to try it and are excited about it, do it.
  • Pietu
    Eb2Jqo6.png

Eb2Jqo6.png

2033 Regens, what can I say.

Is that Marcus Forss, the @BrentfordFC god?
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Yeah it's Marcus Forss. Still have some "real" players kicking around in 2033. Marcus Forss, Eemeli Virta, Lassi Lappalainen and Kasper Paananen. My Assistant still wants me to call up Will Jaaskelainen as well, but he's finished now, cost me massively at the Euros just gone. Niemela got me promoted in the Nations League, so I'm sticking with him.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Cheers lads, much appreciated! Might dust it off tomorrow
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Probably stating the obvious, but I'd definitely recommend it. Fully taken over my life against since Lockdown started, which I knew it would when I downloaded it.
  • Pietu
    Yeah it's Marcus Forss. Still have some "real" players kicking around in 2033. Marcus Forss, Eemeli Virta, Lassi Lappalainen and Kasper Paananen. My Assistant still wants me to call up Will Jaaskelainen as well, but he's finished now, cost me massively at the Euros just gone. Niemela got me promoted in the Nations League, so I'm sticking with him.

If only Will would become as good as Jussi! We need a new GK after Hradecky and he is someone who I hope is going to become good enough.
  • BristolMDF
    1718 posts Play-Off Hero
    Probably stating the obvious, but I'd definitely recommend it. Fully taken over my life against since Lockdown started, which I knew it would when I downloaded it.

That’s what I’m worried about. I’ve enjoyed getting out in the fresh air and not sitting in front of a computer. But at least I can play this whilst I’m ‘working’ from home.
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited June 2020

That’s what I’m worried about. I’ve enjoyed getting out in the fresh air and not sitting in front of a computer. But at least I can play this whilst I’m ‘working’ from home.

It's too late for me now. My most on an FM is 408 Hours on FM 2015, would be surprised if I didn't beat that at this point with my new Finland project.
    y31o0WS.png
  • Farlz
    9601 posts League Winner
    Why do you play 3 DLPs?
  • iHilarious
    13584 posts Has That Special Something
    Farlz wrote: »
    Why do you play 3 DLPs?

Decent formo but wrong roles imo
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    edited June 2020
    Used to have a BWM as my "sitting" Midfielder (won my first World Cup with England with Eric Dier as a BWM there), but they kept giving the ball away so I changed to another DLP, signed Massengo and just became an Ultra Possession team. As long as they still have defensive attributes it's fine.
  • Pietu
    Wattener-Sportgemeinschaft-Tirol-Overview.png

Well this is going to be fun :lol:
  • wheelerdeeler
    7719 posts League Winner
    Is that Thanos Petsos? We had him on loan a couple of years ago and he literally played about 15 minutes.
  • Pietu
    Is that Thanos Petsos? We had him on loan a couple of years ago and he literally played about 15 minutes.

Yes it is, what a great name that is! I'm really going to enjoy this save!
  • NornIron
    15341 posts World Class
    edited June 2020
    My mates playing FM now won his first season with Plymouth, he's a West Ham supporter and said they were bottom of the league with 8 games to go and big Sam came in and saved them.
  • Pietu
    NornIron wrote: »
    My mates playing FM now won his first season with Plymouth, he's a West Ham supporter and said they were bottom of the league with 8 games to go and big Sam came in and saved them.

Big Sam came in one of my saves aswell, I can't remember if he kept them up but West Ham hired him after firing Moyes.